Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

Maybe I have too many good local microbreweries with plenty of Belgians to choose from but I was utterly disappointed with this beer. I prefer a sweet Beligian, so maybe if you enjoy a tasteless, flavorless, non-descript Belgian ale, then this is definitely the beer for you. If you don't have local Belgians try Urthel before you try this. This beer is really WAY overrated on this website.

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

2.6/5  rDev -39%

Must say was looking forward to trying my first Duval and cracked it open, from previous reviews was expecting a huge head but it wasn't there at all. There was plenty of carbonation in the beer, so I don't think it was bum bottle.
The initial taste is quite a wallop to the taste buds, but initially I thought someone had mixed sparkling wine into my beer, a very sweet fruity bite with a bitter aftertaste.
Just didnt do it for me.
Has a nice colour and good aroma when you waft it, but overall just too fruity for me.
An overrated and pretty expensive beer. Won't be giving this one another chance unless someone pours me one.

2.63/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The second time was not impressed with taste. I like a fresh taste at end of the beer.

appearance: foamy head, pale straw, golden shine with chunky lacing

smell: sour

taste: a bit metallic , the after taste is like draining cleaner

mouthfeel: s a bit sharp, an alcohol burn lasting 5 seconds.

overall: The first time I tried I like the taste better. The second time was not impressed. It is probably not my style of beer. I like the lage or wheat beers better then this one. It save me money too!

2.63/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours foam like a Hefe. The Head sticks around for a while.
The first sip was fruity, Lots of CO2. In the next sip I only tasted the sweetness of the 8.5%.
Not really a beer. Too much alcohol. Very hard to drink. Makes you sleepy due to the high ABV.
Overrated and overpriced.
I rather drink a Spaten Optimator if I want a bock beer.

2.66/5  rDev -37.6%

Bought this in a box of 3 750ml bottles. Been eying it for a while and wanted to give it a try. Bottle conditioned and as this is the 3rd of the 3, all have been slightly different -this the most funky of the bunch. Pours dark gold, thick head fades fairly quickly. Aroma has a slightly stale moldy essence. There is a twang to it, like budweiser with corriander dryhopped. And that is exactly it -an upscale, and expensive bud that has gone bad. I dont mind a little skunk in a green bottle lager, but this was intentional and went horribly wrong. They tried to "high end" this and screwed up when it could have been a decent (and drinkable) mile golden ale. Like a homebrew experiment that failed. Never again.

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%

Im not a Belgian drinker at all but i wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

:Poured into a white wine glass.

Poured a golden color with an extremely full white head which suprised me. The smell was mildly fruity. Very mild. I didnt care for the taste at all. It tasted of over fermented apples. It freaked me out because I thought it was bad but my dad said it was delicious when I made him taste. It was alot more full in body then I expected but it was hard to get over the disctracting taste. I wouldnt drink this on the regular, maybe I need to work my way up to it in the Belgian world.

2.68/5  rDev -37.1%

appearance: super foamy head, pale straw, golden shine in light, slight haze, chunky lacing

smell: very clean, almost metallic, faint aroma of hot dogs, slight sour

taste: a bit metallic, im still getting a little bit of hot dog/bologna from somewhere, leaves an alcoholic linger, sweet that turns sour quick

mouthfeel: turns creamy, finish is a bit sharp, slight alcohol burn, highly carbed belgian

overall: not super impressed, usually a fan of belgians, this is a bit less complex than i wanted, strong alcohol/metal taste without much hop or malt character

2.7/5  rDev -36.6%

This beer looked very good going into the glass. It had a great white head on it. The aroma was very noticable. This was the first time I have ever experienced a Belgian Strong Ale. I guess I just don't care for the sour aftertase which I believe is typical of the style. I am sure it is a great beer it's class. It is just not for me.

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a snifter...

A-Pours a very faint hazy yellow with a massive 3 finger soapy white head that dissipates to about half a head with spotty lacing...

S-Smells like bubbles, very unfamiliar combination of aromas coming off this one but smells like lemon grass and bread with a lot of yeast, slightly fruity i would say...

T-Again like bubbles and grass very faint fruit and a bit like champagne very smooth and slightly dry...not much to my liking

M-Light body with medium carbonation, bitter dry lemon grass and bubbles...

O-Didn't really care for this one, very light, dry and smooth but lacks and any wow factor, tasted like bubbles and a light champagne...it's not a horrible beer i just didn't have the buds for this one i guess...

2.73/5  rDev -35.9%

Was excited to try this beer after drinking Chimay.

This poured a lovely pale with nice white head that would not go away. Lacing stayed for ever. Very nice. Lots of bubbles. Lots!

Smell. Strong yeast, bread, biscutty smell.

taste... well.. I could tell this was good quality stuff but I just do not like this type of beer I guess. Very yeasty and just not pleasant to drink. I did not like it. I guess I just don't like this type.

Very strong beer so be careful!!

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV