Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,698 | Hads: 7,431
3.08/5  rDev -28%

Starting to hit the Belgian's now. Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pristine golden in color with a huge white foamy head. A look like this allowed for much promise.

S - Fruity, like pears or apples, a bit nutty perhaps hazelnut or almond.

T - Fruity upfront followed by an earthly hop that was quite interesting. The linger was very impressive. Very crisp, not all what its cracked up to be, kinda overrated.

M - Light bodied and very well balanced. Left the palate very clean.

D - A slow drinker at 8.5% but very enjoyable and recommended.

3.08/5  rDev -28%

A - Pours with a clear golden color. 3 fingers of white head. that lasts a good while.

S - I get some fruit and flower smells off this beer.

T - The flavor it self isn't bad at all. Flowers, some fruit.

M - This is a super dry beer. It feels like, not tastes, a dry red wine. The same kind of astringency. Kind of chalk like in the back of my mouth, and some decent alcohol flavor.

D - I'm underwhelmed by this beer. It's not bad, per se, but it is not my favorite. Like the French Canadians say "I think, maybe, not so good."

3.08/5  rDev -28%

L - very pale, good head retention
S - light hop, clean
T - this is a high alcohol beer, very dry on the palette, you immediately give this respect. I'm not going to have much of this unless I. Going to get wrecked. Memories of teenage years and ditches flood in.
M- well carbonated and dry, so dry
O - not really my cup of tea but I'm sure a fine lager

3.09/5  rDev -27.8%

I'm still not a huge fan of Belgian ales, but I enjoyed Duvel a lot more than the two Chimay varieties I tried earlier this week.

Appearance- Hazy golden color with slight orange tint. Head is enormous and very thick and creamy. Lots of lace are left on the sides of my Duvel glass.

Smell- Spices and mild apple smell. Not too overpowering, but still not my favorite beer smell.

Taste- Sip begins with mild hops bite which leads to a rounded spice flavor. Hints of apple are noted. Overall taste isn't too strong in the spice department as I found Chimay to be. Finish is dry and crisp. Definently a complex taste, but not a style I'm into.

Drinkability- Wouldn't want to drink too many of these because Duvel is fairly heavy and strong in alcohol. I think this would be a great introductory beer to the Belgian style, as it is complex and not as overpowering on the palate as the Chimay Tripel and Dark.

3.1/5  rDev -27.6%

Welp, Time to be " that guy " once again.

A - Poured a limestone color with a monster white frothy head that left a small amount of lacing.

S - Smells like an adjunct. A lot of creamed corn and rice adjunct along with a bit of pepper and yeast.

T - Some hay and westmalle yeast followed by a bit of creamed corn and pepper. That's about it.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - I'm sorry, but this beer is so unbelievably overrated that it is ridiculous. IN MY OPINION, It tastes like a glorified Euro Pale Lager. I love how I'm seeing people review this beer noting it's flavors which compare quite well to adjuncts, Yet they are rating it so highly simply because they feel obligated and they are completely biased. i deliberated this beer with two friends, Both craft drinkers. One of them has been drinking craft only for over twenty years and they both completely agree that this beer does not live up to any of the hype. One of them actually called it " Rancid Bud Light ".

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

I'm a bit disappointed with this one. Not quite what I expected. Not a bad bier mind you, just disappointing for the price.

Very light color with heavy carbonation. The smell and taste are just not there in my opinion. Very weak. La Fin du Monde is by far a more superior style of this bier. And for the price as well.

3.14/5  rDev -26.6%

Fortunately for me this beer is still available in its "real" 33 cl bottle and not in the boring "euro" 30 cl bottles. It is such a well-known special beer here in the Netherlands that the shape of the bottle is referred to as "Duvelflesje" (Duvel bottle) even though there are many more beers bottled in it.

Poured in its own wide chalice it creates a thick head that slowly settles. The color is yellow with lots of bubbles. The smell, like the taste has a certain bitterness in it that reminds me of pilsner beer. This is the reason I shied away from it for years but lately I learned to appreciate it more. Oh, you live and learn!

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%

From bottle into glass, best before date 4/2009. Nice golden color. Head was frothy and full. Taste was kinda spicy, hoppy, citrusy, carbonated. Not what I was expecting after hearing about this from so many people. Thought I was going to be blown away, but then again, maybe it's just not not my favorite style of beer.

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Straw-colored, pale, clear, nice looking head.

Smell: I'm honestly not getting a whole lot out of this. I can smell the alcohol. It smells a little sweet and a little like nail polish remover.

Taste: Sweet followed by hoppiness. Bitter finish. Again, not getting a ton of flavor. Maybe my tastebuds are off tonight for some reason? It's not bad, but I don't have a lot to comment on.

Mouthfeel: Good. Growing carbonation that lingers on the tongue, otherwise smooth.

Overall: I don't know what's up, but I'm not terribly impressed by this oft-loved beer.

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 2 inch head that persists and clings to the glass in great clumps. The appearance is perfect pale and slightly cloudy. The aroma is delicious with sweet malt and some spicy hops. The taste is rich and full with strong malty goodness and bitter, spicy hops with a hint of fruitiness. The feel is medium bodied with strong carbonation and a clean finish. This is a rich, rich pale ale.

This ale has all the elements of an excellent brew with complexity and richness, so I had a difficult time figuring out why it is that I didn't enjoy it very much and would not be returning to it. I think it comes down to too much. Too rich, too strong, too spicy, too sweet. It feels like it ought to be cut with water before being served, like it's a pale ale concentrate.

3.16/5  rDev -26.2%

A: Pours golden with a big white fluffy head that retains as white bubbly film

S: Hints of cane sugar, some spice, little bit of a citrus zest, but pretty muted

T: Not much going on here. At first, a bit of a peppery/citrus zest and spice mix, the end being a bitter, kind of pilsner-ish hop finish. Not impressed.

O: I don't see why this gets rave reviews. I've had much more flavorful strong pales and pilsners. Oh well, it's not bad, but it's not good either.

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Kinda a rauchbier aroma, but less pronounced, though still unexpected. Some maltiness. Pale golden in color. The head rioted in my glass. After calling in the authorities it settled down somewhat, but continued to stand around leering at me. Malt profile with some tickling alcohol and pear notes. Mild spice, but much less than many Belgian Strong Ales. Much ado about nothing it seems.

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

The beer pours similar to champagne as you can here a fizzle as you pour. The beer is a slghtly hazy light golden. Head is bubbly, fizzy and white. Nice bready yeastiness on the nose with some subtle fruitiness making an appearance also. The beer is somewhat jacked up with carbonation. A bit gaseous in the mouth. The taste is pleasant. That's about it. There's a bready yeast characteristic on the palate as well. Some slight accents of alcohol. And fruitiness. Orange comes to mind. The beer's light to medium in body.

For some reason, I just can not get as hyped as a lot of beer lovers do over Belgians. Maybe there is an anti-belgian beer chromosone in my family's gene pool (as my brother ZAP feels the same way about Belgians).

3.18/5  rDev -25.7%

Presentation: 750 ml corked (pop) brown bottle with a best before date of 08 2012. Quick tips on how to pour the beer (unhurriedly) as well as "Bottle Conditioned" on the label. Yes the Duvel glass on the back of the label has more head in the pic than beer: thats what you will get.(42 degrees) nice bottle and labeling.

Appearance: huge foamy chunky head 3 to 4 fingers like an icecream float. the lace clings to the glass in patchy clumps. slight cloudy yeasty golden hue. chunks of foamy head clinging to the glass all the way down. the head will outlast the brew itself with some foam left in the bottom of the glass.

Smell: smells like warm piss, yeast bite in the aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very dry, no maltyness at all to me. champange like bubbly texture, yeast, hop bitterness and alcohol very prominent. very crisp.

Notes: maybe this Belgian strong pale ale isnt for me. I respect it, but now have to finish this 750 ml bottle that I opened because I payed $11 for it.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Acquired from grub courtesy of the Birthday Club 2, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 330ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a bright yellow color with a large foamy white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of bananas, light malts, Belgian yeast, some spice and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a strong sourness and flavors of Belgian yeast and spices. There’s a mild hops presence and a thin malt character. The after-taste is slightly bitter as there isn’t very much sweetness throughout the taste to counteract the sourness and bitterness.

M: Very crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and very dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, nice kick, good representation of style, I had tried this beer at a tasting once long ago and didn’t like it very much, however, that was before I had tried many Belgian beers. I liked many Belgian beers that I tried since then and realized that I may not have given this beer a fair shot, thus I was anxious to give this beer another try. However, I was disappointed again. I realize now that I simply don’t like this beer as much as I appreciate its craftmanship.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

A: Golden but a little "muddy", probably yeast as it smells belgian yeast. The head is enourmous if you pour the liquid clucking through the bottle The head is white and quite creamy when it settles in.

S: Sweet belgian yeast and a little touch of flowers. Light carbonation.

Taste: Sweet belgian yeast which is noticed both while the liquid is in the mouth and and ater swallowing. The aftertaste is a bit hoppy and a bit of sweet candy.

O: Not what I rememberd, but it is easy to drink. Almost to easy.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

This poured a clear gold with fluffy white head, like a typical light Belgian ale. It smelled like sour yeast and lemon hops. It tasted like muted grapefruit bitterness and yeast sweetness, with no depth or real character. It was slightly thick with mild carbonation and a weak aftertaste. Overall this was a mediocre example of a beer style I don't really like; not worth drinking again.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Reviewed on 8/19/08. 33 cL bottle. Pours a slightly cloudy piss yellow with a huge foamy white head. Aroma of wheat, light fruits. Flavor is similar with an initial spicy kick. A bit boozy and leaves a strong warmth in your throat. Ok, but nothing special....
6/3/7/3/14 (3.3/5)

3.22/5  rDev -24.8%

330ml stubby brown bottle from Party Source poured into an oversized wine glass. Best by 3/2010.

A: Big ass pillowy head. Nice retention throughout and very strong lacing. Poured very slowly resulting in a perfectly clear golden color.

S: Juicy acidic fruits along with some floral hops. In the back of my mind I keep thinking witbier. Slight presence of alcohol.

T/M: First taste makes me think witbier, too. Has a strange tasting bitterness to it that leads to the alcohol and big medicinal phenols. Citrus twist at the end for a dry finish. Higher carbonation makes it pretty light on the palate.

D: Has a very different taste than what I was expecting. It's not bad but not something I'll get often. Easy to drink and refreshing, though.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip/thistle glass. Best before July 2013 so she should be ready to roll.

A very thin bubbled totally white head of two finger size with some cake like retention. Real nice lemon gold clear body with much carbonation visible. The clarity on this beer is quite amazing has some very see through character to it. Head falls slowly and head bubbles all seem to be a nice pin head size. Good glow to this beer too and lots of sticky lacing as well.

Bouquet on the Duvel is a simple basic slight butter and yeast. Quite pleasant with a faint must. This is probably a good place to start, it's not too strong on the nose. Has a sweet creamy smell to some extent too, but also a sense of very clean.

Taste is predominantly fizzy... like club soda. Fresh club soda. I am getting... nothing else. Is this club soda beer? What's missing here? I feel like I am drinking Canada Dry or something with perhaps a little bit of hay/grass.

I can't rate this very high and probably not going to have it again for drinkability cause I know there are others in this style that I prefer by far.

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Duvel could be a cross between La Fin du Monde and Bitburger Pils IMO,without the value[Bitburger's way under 1/2 the price[for 4 500 ml],and LFDM's tastier with a higher ABV].
Duvel's nice, yet it's an emperor without any clothes kind of beer,since few want to criticize it openly.
Duvel doesn't blow me away,and I suggest while it's worth a visit,the living ain't easy.
Hit it,forget it,and find something steadier instead.
My preference to this is Hennepin,which is outstanding!

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

My experience with this beer was auspicious from the beginning. I had to use a pair of vice-grips to get the cork out. Once out, the beer gave off tremendous fruity esters musty carbonation. Now I am not entirely sure how Belgian Strong Pale Ales are supposed to taste (well, yes I do) and this is highly disappointing. At first there is a wonderful tickle as it enters, then sour, plain sourness, almost like the beer was stale. I wanted to shake up the sediment to get a different taste.

One area I highly commend this beer in is it head. Meringue like from the beginning to the end. I will not be “re-visiting” this one.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Not having tried this until just recently, I was surprised at what my eyes & nose was presented with. Bright golden in color, slightly murky like a heffe & with a massive foaming head. This brew of course really dose better in a tulip or bulb. It settles in & becomes very foamy even as it dissipates in density it holds its volume. Very impressive! The smell is almost overwhelming, as it seems to be with most of the big Belgians. Very sweet & fizzy in the nose with that wonderful Belgian yeast aroma.

The flavor is unfortunately not to my tastes, being as sweet & fizzy on the tongue as it is in the nose. It taste like Belgian Champaign beer. Not a bad thing I guess, but I don’t like most Champaigns. It is supper yummy, but just too sweet.

I can get my way through a liter, but not much more than that really.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Very pale, yellow, big head

Aroma: Hops and pears

Taste: Malty, a little bitter

Remarks: This was one of my earlier reviews, so the info isn't as complete.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; so please disregard those scores as listed and just go by the overall total.

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 18D). Bottle 33 cl - Batch L42401 0224. AROMA: esters aromas reminiscente of oranges and some pears. low sweet malt background. very low no non-existent hop character. some spicy alcohol aromas. APPEARANCE: light gold color with a bit of haze. large white head that persists for very long time. characteristic viscosity leading to belgian lacing. TASTE: faint fruity flavours mixed with a low sweet background. medium bitterness that lingers beyond a dry finish. some spicy alcohol notes. PALATE: medium-low body with high carbonation. some astringency is present as some alcohol warmth. OVERALL: a classic but now it seems with less overall quality.

Duvel from Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV