Duvel - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

DuvelDuvel

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Duvel Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 11.2 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a pale golden color that is quite see through, with about 3 fingers of white foam and a lot of retention. Moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of bananas, citrusy hops, yeast, and hints of spice.

t - Tastes of citrusy hops, bready malts, and banana.

m - High carbonation and light body.

d - A decent belgian that is readily available in grocery stores. I would agree with others that this could be a good gateway beer for people looking to get into Belgians, but I don't think it is as good as some others I've had. Thought the high carbonation hurt it a little bit, but still a nice beer that I'd have again.

mdfb79, Mar 29, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

WOW! I poured this into a Duvel glass. It pours a gold color with an amazing, almost overwhelming head with high carbonation. It smelled floral with a tinge of alcohol. The taste was like biting into a lightly sugared, spiked green apple. It was very refreshing and unique. I ordered another and let others taste it and everyone was simply amazed at the unique flavor. This is a beer unto itself. The taste of alcohol does become apparent, otherwise it would be endlessly drinkable.

jwc215, Apr 12, 2006

Rochefort10nh, Nov 25, 2011

DrunkinYogi, Dec 29, 2013
3.98/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nearly all head (nearly pure white) on the initial pour. Light lace on the glass. The liquid has a mild haze. The color is light straw.

The aroma is as I remembered: lots of barnyard and musty, yeasty smells

Spritzy and spicy are the first impressions...like there is coriander and thyme in here. Strong yeast and wheat flavors. The body is moderate with a high level of carbonation. Deceptively easy to drink.

smcolw, Jun 07, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer is bright gold and clear, basically looks like a good Pils. This one tries to jump out of the glass as it pours with a lively carbonation that creates a thick white long lasting head. The head is Meringue like in consistency. The beer smells sharp and slightly herbal and fruity, accompanied by a woodiness. Has a lightly sweet taste with a complex herbal aftertaste. Lightly bitter and hoppy. Leaves one with a soft maltiness in the finish. A very light beer that hides its alcoholic strength well.

Gueuzedude, Sep 16, 2003

MarkyMOD, Jul 24, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

XmnwildX12, Nov 25, 2013

330 mL bottle, poured into its own glass, a Duvel tulip,

A: Golden yellow, with a thick, white, billowing head, almost looks like a cumulonimbus cloud, excellent lacing all-around.

S: Spices, some lemon/orange, somewhat medicinal.

T: Lemon and other citrus upfront, pears, yeast esters, with a hoppy finish that is quite understated, from the Bohemian hops which are mentioned on the label.

M: Smooth, dry, spritzy, creamy, and phenolic.

D: Very good for an 8% beer, a classic of its style, Duvel is a great beer, quite simple really, but quite delicious.

Halcyondays, Jul 23, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was suprised to see I hadn't reviewed Duvel when I checked the Best of BA list the other day. I thought I had better get round to it.

All the best superlatives have been used by other BA drinkers and I don't want to copy anyone. So this is just an amble type of ramble. Needless to say, I think this is a fantastic beer and have scored it accordingly.

I started drinking Belgian beers on a regular basis back in 1993 and I have always thought Duvel to be a great beer and a leader within the stronger Pale Ales produced in Belgium.

I have two Duvel glasses and there are always some bottles in my garage waiting to be cooled and drunk. My local supermarket (Morrisons) has Duvel on offer at £4.00 for three .33 litre bottles, that's about $8.00 at todays exchange rate.

Being a member of the CAMRA Investors club means I have a few shares of the Duvel Moortgat brewery (part share of $67,000) and have had the pleasure of visiting the said brewery in 2005.

A very drinkable beer, one that I hope never changes its top quality ingrediants and I have put my money where my belly is too!

BlackHaddock, Sep 07, 2007

beernads, Jan 13, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance: golden yellow in color with a thick fluffy 3" white head. Plenty of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head slowly fades, leaving a nice lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell: the aroma is of yeast, grass, and citrus.

Taste: the yeast is very prominent on the tongue, along with a pepper spiciness, citrus, decent malt levels, and crisp bitterness. Alcohol is slightly noticable.

Mouthfeel: super crisp at the start and finish, and the finish is slightly dry. Medium bodied brew.

Drinkability: superb drinkability as this is one of the more refreshing Belgian beers on the market. This was one of the first Belgian beers I had many years ago, and I still enjoy it to this day.

Gavage, Nov 16, 2005
3.84/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've had this classic many a time before, but haven't yet reviewed it somehow (though I could swear I remember reviewing it in Holland). "Best before: 09/2015." 11.2 fl oz brown glass "snub" design glass with iconic label art and branded pry-off pressure cap acquired at a local Colorado beer store and served into a Duvel stem-tulip in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high. Props to Duvel for the pouring instructions - "Pour Unhurriedly." 8.5% ABV confirmed per the label.

Served chilled. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a four finger wide head of white colour. Disappointingly thin and airy. No real creaminess. Not as fluffy or soft as it should be. Head retention is good - about 5-6 minutes. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a translucent clear pale gold of above average vibrance. Has some yellow and copper hues. Very clean; no floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's an appealing, classic appearance for a Belgian golden ale.

Sm: Starches, Belgian golden malts, clean crisp barley, floral hop character, and Belgian pale malts. Hints of vitamin-y biscuity yeast character. Sweetness seems perfect based on the aroma. Has a kiss of candi character and a faint trace of peppercorn. There's also a vague fruitiness - perhaps from the hops? As best I can tell, it's crisp ripe apple. The distinctly Belgian character of the yeast - the light fruitiness, the spiciness - is what really elevates the aroma for me.

No alcohol is detectable - a feat at 8.5%. If I smelled it blind, I'd guess it was maybe 5%. Wow.

It's an inviting, alive aroma of moderate strength.

T: Light starchiness is present, and doesn't work too well in this flavour profile. The bulk of the body is comprised of Belgian golden malts. Hop character is predominantly floral, with a kiss of fruitiness in there too - crisp apples and pears. The yeast is lightly biscuity and spicy, and definitely feels like a Belgian strain. Clean crisp barley lends it some added depth of flavour. Light clove and grassiness also make an appearance. Quite estery. Duration and intensity of flavour are average for the style.

What's amazing here is how well the beer hides its ABV; I'd never guess this was 8.5%. Dangerously downable stuff.

It's also very well balanced, and boasts some impressibe subtlety. Decent complexity. It could be more intricate and nuanced.

Mf: Could be softer. It's nicely smooth and dry, and is well-carbonated. Aptly medium-bodied, with perfect thickness given the flavour profile. Very good presence on the palate; it's almost fleetingly light - which greatly aids drinkability. Not as crisp or ripe as many beers in the style; it's a bit more subdued. Effervescent. The texture complements the taste well, but isn't quite ideal. There's room for improvement.

Not oily, gushed, harsh, hot, boozy, astringent, or rough.

Dr: Extremely drinkable - especially for the ABV. Every time I drink it, I'm shocked how quickly it disappears from my glass. Undoubtedly a classic beer in a demanding style, Duvel remains one of the beers you have to try if you're an enthusiast. It's one of the best in its class and is absolutely a style-defining beer, but I don't know that it's the best Belgian golden ale out there. Still, I could happily kill 12 of these in a night without getting tired of it and definitely plan on picking it up again in the future. I can see why it's in the top 100, but I don't know that it's amongst the best 100 beers I've had personally. What sets it apart for me isn't the taste necessarily, but more its incredibly light feel and dangerous drinkability. This is the definition of easy drinking.

Probably the best widely available beer in the world, period.

B+

kojevergas, Jan 09, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

12/22/04- Purchased at Piazza's Market in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- Small stubby 11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date. Poured into my Duvel glass.

Appearance- Cloudy golden coloring, huge foamy at first, then creamy head, above average lacing throughout.

Smell- Mostly some sweet fruit scents. Maybe a tad bit of alcohol. A nice mouthwatering smell.

Taste- Very sweet and sugary fruitiness. Some bitter hops and a light tinge of medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel- This is one damn carbonated beer. Way to much for me. Took me about an hour to suck down this bottle, which was good because the taste came out a bit more as the carbonation went down.

Drinkability- If I let this one sit for an hour before drinking it would have been better. The carbonation is about the only drawback in this beer for me. Otherwise it would be one of my top 10 probably. Very tasty.

GClarkage, Dec 23, 2004
3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

I must say.. I had pretty high hopes as I pop opened this beer.. and I come away underwhelmed. The good parts.. comes in a sweet looking bottle unlike anything else, is pretty drinkable and smooth, and the 8.5% ABV is very well hidden. The bad.. has a very bland taste to it.. like really bland. To me it's like a watered down hefeweizen, I was expecting a lot more different types of flavors from this one. I dunno, when I pay $3 for a single 12 oz I want something extraordinary.. and this just doesn't cut it. The Stoudt's Maibock 12 pack I got on clearance for $6.99 has a helluva lot more taste than this. I wanted to love it, but it seems like people reviewing this jumped on the bandwagon and gave it good reviews because everyone else did.. just my 2 cents.

oriolesfan4, Dec 24, 2008

imperialking, Dec 19, 2011

InspectorBob, Nov 29, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a nice slightly hazy golden color with a huge foamy white head. Very carbonated almost champagne like but not overpowering if poured correctly. Aroma of light crisp fruits and spice. Flavor consists of apple, pear, and light raisin as well as a nice alcohol presence. A great tasting belgian strong ale.

corby112, Dec 02, 2008
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Appears a hazy pale light gold with a 2 finger creamy white head.
Smell is of tropical fruit, nectarines, light zesty malts, spices featuring pepper, and hops.
Taste is of spicy orange peel, and black pepper mixed in a pilsner brew with definite Belgian yeast being implimented.
Mouthfeel is slightly harsher than smooth with a slight sweetness, bitterness, and just a touch of off skunkiness that's hard to place.
Drinkability is ok. Definite alcohol presence which makes me want to sip this more than anything else.

weeare138, Sep 09, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

33 cl short brown bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Best bu date of 06 2009.

A: Perfect. Nice slow pour leaves a massive, foamy white head that has great retention and leaves plenty of clumpy lacing. Liquid is a pale, clear golden color. The etching in the bottom of the glass agitates a constant stream of carbonation.
S: Ripe fruit (apple), yeast, spice and a little bit of alcohol.
T: Very creamy, smooth with very active carbonation. Slightly sweet with taste of ripe fruit, some peppery spiciness and a light hop bitterness. Mild yeast presence in middle and finish with slight tight of alcohol and very clean and refreshing. Begs for another drink.

Excellent beer, very drinkable for abv and always leaves me wanting more. Don't overlook this because of how easy it is to find.

yourefragile, Mar 05, 2008
4.09/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This may be the most famous beer I've not gotten around to reviewing. I do remember probably trying it for the first time at a Belgian Beer tasting many years ago, when the concept of a beer over 5% ABV was unknown to me. Needless to say it was a messy night. This is a 330ml stubby Belgian bottle purchased from Dan Murphy's in Alexandria.

Pours a clear, effervescent golden colour, with a frothy, crackling head of white fed by that effusive and exuberant carbonation. Lace forms as patches of bubbles left behind. body is very light, certainly not 8.5%'s worth of residual sugar sitting around in this baby. Overall, it's refined and sophisticated.

Nose is spicy but crisp. Some phenolic characters come through, along with some apple skin, wine barrels, a little vanilla and some white pepper. Dusty, earthy tones are also noticeable. The vanilla becomes more prominent as it's warmed, and the phenols and detection of booze subsides. Nice stuff.

Taste is clean and bright, with a long palate that stays fluid and light throughout. Alcohol is well hidden, just a slight upturn of those phenolic characters on the finish. As it warms, sweeter notes come through as well. More of that vanilla aroma, along with some banana esters and a hint of marzipan. Very tasty, but always subdued and pulled along into that all-encompassing cleanness.

Feel is very light and smooth. It really shouldn't be any other way.

Yes, dangerously light and drinkable, and exceptionally refined. This is a very well made strong Belgian ale, and a worthy canonical example.

lacqueredmouse, Mar 09, 2013

orangesol, Nov 14, 2011
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

What a nice beer. If it were more affordable, I'd drink, well, way too much. It's a little funky, a little fruity, and a whole lotta belgian.

This is kind of the gold standard when it comes to appearance. A rocky, yet fluffy white head with fine white bubbles and lacing that never stops. Aroma of belgian farmhouse funk and sweet malt and light candi sugar. The taste expands on the aroma with a mellow bitterness over candi sugar and light malts. Very drinkable. Damn what a beer.

tempest, Dec 21, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a nice light golden color with a huge white head. Nose is bready, yeast, fruit and alcohol. Taste is boom, alcohol upfront, with fruits, bread and yeast. Mouthfeel is thin and warm. The ABV is pretty prominent. Drinkability is good but not sure I would want to drink to many of these. Just not my thing.

barleywinefiend, Jun 03, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle--not shared with other beer lovers but just blissful me drinking this mighty beer in a huge bottle... BBE 09/2008.

A: the bottle pops open and pours into a big tulip-shaped wine glass a golden-hued nectar, coming with a fast effervescent, rocky, meringue like fluffy but bloody tight paper-white beer head with very good retention; the highly-carbonated body is not just fizzy--it's like raining/then drizzling bottom-up, or even like a hot spring!! Massive, it looks... the foamy cap sustains the best I've ever seen.
S: fruit-esters, lemony+orange-peel, coriander seed and clove, candyish pale malts, while slightly woody aroma with sweetish edge and profound yeasty note sustains solidly in the background. Overall, floating, refreshing, lightly perfumy, and deceptively light!!
T: refreshingly fruity malts on a bed of perfumy and vegetation-like hoppyness catapults the strength in no time! Then overwhelming yeasty flavour is combined with a thin-bodied citrus-fruity edge, slightly sour-sweet but very tangy, to cause a profound yet very floating mouthfeel of fruitiness. Pretty dry in the aftertaste, like being dry-hopped, but it doesn't stop there, as it becomes drier and drier, dragging all my senses onto a single point deep down the palate... and the woody yeastiness and hoppyness leaves more marks on dryness than on bitterness, which makes this beer extremely light and easy to quaff without even noticing the strength.
M: exceptionally light and lively on the mouthfeel, this is one of those beers hiding their strength just too devilishly well. But for my palate the body is slightly too thin.
D: overall this is hellu'va fine beer. I once saw a Belgian guy quaffing this beer straight from the (330ml) bottle at lunch time when I visited Mechelen, Belgium. While I was sipping "elegantly" a small bottle of Het Anker's Goulden Carolus Classic in a goblet, he drank Duvel like a Bud/Stella Artois/Corona, and he consumed two bottles of them in 20 minutes!!--now I could imagine why, but still disagree with the way the beer was "wasted". He liked it anyhow... and so do I in my own way.

wl0307, Dec 08, 2005