Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 (Citra Hops) - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 (Citra Hops)Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 (Citra Hops)

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: Douberd on 09-18-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast

The regular Duvel is about as close to perfect as I can imagine and with the addition of my favorite hop variety...

Pours out the usual bright, golden, yellow with a ton of white and fluffy head and a champagne-like carbonation.

The aroma is the typical Duvel; pear, apple, banana, clove, coriander, white pepper and yeasty bready notes, but with the addition of orange peel, lemon zest and some nice piney, resinous hop notes.

The taste is pretty much identical to the aroma. The Citra hop really adds a ton of hop flavor here; orange peel, some grassy notes, piney/resinous hop notes along with tropical fruit notes. These blend extremely well with the typical pear, apple and banana notes along with the subtle spiciness the clove and white pepper taste adds. Can't taste or smell the alcohol at all.

The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and the body is on the light side of medium. Tons of carbonation like usual with Duvel and there is a slight warming as it goes down.

I already love the regular Duvel and the Citra hop just pushes this into perfection for me. A great beer and definitely worth trying.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle. The bottle opened with a champagne like pop. I saved this for New Year's Eve because its as close as I get to champagne. Looks like regular Duvel except the head bubbles seem to be larger. Beautiful golden color with a huge head that lingers forever. Very active carbonation. Great looking beer.

Smell is unbelievable. Lemongrass, slight pine, lemon/citrus seem to dominate. Yeast and malt are in the backround but are there. Smells like a lemony Duvel.

Taste is super good. It's like Duvel on lemon citrus steroids. Far and away this best Belgian ipa I have ever had. Clean complex and hoppy. Slight lingering hoppiness. Perfect accompaniment to the smoked salmon appetizers that I had with it.

Mouthfeel is really good. Doesn't seem to smooth out like Duvel does but really good.

Overall one of the best beers I have ever had. It's a tad pricey but certainly worth it for a special occasion. I definitely would classify it as a Belgian ipa not a strong pale ale.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Drank from an oversized wine glass

A - Pours a pale straw colour with a white creamy two fingered head that retains well and laces the glass.

S - Big hoppy aromas, with a slightly sweet backbone.

T - Big flavours of Grapefruit, White Wine, and Fresh Oak with a nice sweet malt in the background. A slight warming finish. The flavours just seem to linger on the palate for quite some time. The balance in this beer is first class.

M - Medium to high carbonation and such a smooth body of medium.

O - This is a real treat and if you see it then buy it. I don't see how this beer can be improved upon, and it gets full marks for innovation. A fantastic mix of new and old world beers.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

I'm probably going to skew the numbers here, because I think this is an excellent beer. I must confess that I am partial to Duvel, and also DIPAs and BSPAs. I have had the 2010 Duvel Tripel Hop and found it to be a good beer, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I would say I preferred the standard Duvel. Recently had the Duvel Rustica by Ommegang (owned by Duvel Morrtgat) , which I found to be a very nice take on the classic... Duvel in a farmhousey-kinda way. I wish I had another bottle of the 2010 to re-evaluate my tastes.
Psyched when I saw this on the rack.

A: Always a perfect "5" for me - this is how I want a pale ale to look. Crystal clear pale gold beer with a "big-as-you-want-it" head of frost white sea foam. Laces and drapes are left behind. Bubbles stream joyfully from the bottom of my tulip throughout the session.

S: Reminiscent of fields of hay; bright Belgian yeast notes; vague citrus of grapefruit and lemon, subtly in the background

T: Fresh crisp malt and sharp hops, edges of grapefruit and bright citrus; sweeter wine-like flavors move effortlessly across the palate; with warming, flavors blossomed into orchards of fruit and white wine grapes with lemony zest

M: Soft meets sharp - creamy pale malts slip across the tongue at the same time the effervescence startles the palate; refreshing and bracing, but also an easy slow-sipper.

O: Fantastic beer.
If Ommegang's Duvel Rustica was the "Duvel saison," then this is the Duvel Imperial. The Citra hops really bang their flavors across the normal palette of Duvel tastes. This is so tempting for me to go "5"'s across the boards, but I'm sure there's some taint of enthusiasm.
I would enthusiastically recommend this beer. I think it was at least a $20 bottle in my area, but it's worth it. This is an excellent celebratory beer, and it is also worthy of celebration. This is a "you-owe-it-yourself" beer (assuming you're into Belgian pales and Duvel-esque beers) - not to be passed up on.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I bought this beer without even realizing it was dry hopped... or that it was Citra that was used! I bought it in a little beer shop in Brussels as a a compliment to all of the "touristy" beers I had to (got to) purchase. Of all the beers I took back with me from Belgium I think this is my favorite. I don't live on the west coast, USA but a West Coast IPA is my favorite style of beer. This is the closest thing to a big American IPA I could find in Western Europe. Lots of fresh hop fruity citrus but very balanced; I love it!

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle served in a snifter glass.

A: Pours the traditional pale yellow and bit cloudy color forming a huge bubble, creamy and soapy white head. Infinite retention and lots of soapy lacings formed and left in the glass

S: Smell is just perfect. A bomb of flowery and citrus hops. It's really amazing how the can conserve such a hops freshness. I mean, this is a bottle of 2012 being consumed in 2014. I know that's not too much but, at same time, the hops freshness in the nose is really impressive. Strong notes of citrus and tropical fruits al well. To be mentioned; orange, grapefruit and passion fruit

T: Sweet pale malts in upfront, followed by strong notes of citrus and tropical fruits like orange, grapefruit and mainly, passion fruit. In overall, a standard Duvel, which is dry and crispy. However, this version is a bit bitterer than the regular version. Alcohol is very well hidden here

M: Medium to heavy body with good carbonation. Passion fruit aftertaste

O: Great drinkability. The best Duvel Tripel hop I've ever had (compared with the Amarillo and Sorachi Ace versions). Citra is a bit overwhelming? Yes, it is but in a lovely way... ;)

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

A bottle of 330 ml, similar to the classic Duvel, with Tripel Hop written under the name and the clarification, "Dry Hopped With Citra Hops" in a circle, on the lower right side of the label.
Since this is made only for this year and they're planning to make it with a different hops variety every year, I thought that it deserved a different entry.
Poured into a tulip glass, very similar to the Duvel one, after letting the beer warm up a bit. Colour is pale golden yellow, with some bubbles rising to the top and a whooping head of four fingers. Great retention and light lacing around the glass as it goes down. The head never disappears completely, even now, I have a thick part of it into my glass.
Aroma is.. fantastic! I haven't met another beer with this kind of fruity aroma. Mostly I get a fruity aroma of dark fruits, but never before something like this. The citra hops are really making a difference. I smell some guava and a bunch of other tropical fruits.
Taste is also great, much more bitter than I expected from the smell and much more bitter than the original Duvel too. Some citrus and tropical fruits on the taste again, result of the citra hops I suppose. The alcohol is there, but very masterfully concealed. I get the warming feeling but I can't feel it that much on the taste. Aftertaste is also quite bitter.
Full on the body and quite a bit of carbonation, maybe a little too much.

I am not a huge fun of Duvel, and don't get me wrong, I like it and I would gladly drink it on every given occasion, I just don't get all the hype around it. But this one, not only I liked it, I loved it, mostly for the superb aroma and then for the great, bitter taste. I had got myself three bottles already, before I even try it, but this one will probably be the first beer that will send me back to the store, in order to get some more and store in my cellar.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. $12 at Total Wine.

A: A slow pour yields a pale golden bodied liquid beneath a huge, billowing, thick, and fluffy characteristic Duvel whipped egg-white head that took forever to collapse beneath its own weight. Duvel is the archetypal beer for the style, and this one does not disappoint. It’s perhaps a shade lighter and clearer than the original, but the head is still just as impressive. Huge chucks of sticky, rocky, lace were left down the glass.
S: Dominant notes of citra hops, as expected. This beer smells awesome. Peppery, earthy yeast, a hint of mint chewing gum and phenols, and lemony citrus come through the citra as well.
T: Very hoppy and fresh with balancing notes of earth, lemon, and peppery yeast. Citrus, flowers, pear, and peach come through as well. Finish is spicy and the aftertaste is earthy and bitter.
M: Full body, fluffy airy carbonation, smooth, bitter, and lightly drying mouth. Drink well. A hint of boozy syrupiness is detectable but it’s not distracting.
O: Amazing. Duvel is one of the best and when you add a few more hops this beer is nearly perfect. Well worth the price, and almost as good as Bitter Monk.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

330mL bottle into an over-sized wine glass.
A - Crystal clear golden color. Snow-white, large head with medium retention which leaves a thin persistent topping. No lacing.
S - Lots of tropical fruits with a citrus background. Little acidic, slightly herbal, very fruity and delicious!
T/M - Unbelievably smooth beer that flows in the mouth to unveil all the flavors similar to the nose. Bitterness balances perfectly the aromas. Ends with some spiciness that dries out the mouth and makes you take another sip. Definitely some white wine character going on in there. Lively carbonation.
O - An outstanding beer that shows all the Duvel savoir-faire!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Beer bottle (33cl), purchased from Le Souffleur de bières, tasted in 2012.

Appearance : golden color, with huge white foamy head (nice lacing).
Smell : rich nose and fruity aromas (litchies)
Taste and mouthfeel : complex flavors fresh hops & grassy, delicate and strong, very good bitterness in finish and delicate long mouth.
Drinkability : A very nice beer, in the style "golden ale".

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

330 mL bottle with freshness date. Poured into a wine glass produced a solid fluffy white head which has a really nice retention and amazingly great lacing. The colour is a light pale straw gold.

Smell has a wonderful floral hop character. Grapefruit, really juicy. Some biscuity malt. Some yeast comes through with a nice hoppy edge.

Taste has a full crisp bitter hops character, citrus hops, grapefruit, some dry yeasty barnyard note at the end. Some pepper, orange, floral esters and of course a firm Belgian yeast edge, a bit farmy and straw. Finish is quite dry, firm yeast, with an oily hoppy linger.

Mouthfeel has a nice soft carbonation, moderate body, alcohol is very underplayed, comes across slightly on the palate. Some spicey heat. But very refreshing and satisfying with a nice big body on this.

Fantastic beer. A big IPA, but tons of flavour and complexity. Really nice combination of belgian yeast and the oily citra hops works lovely. It is a strong big beer, but has a great balance and drinks quite light actually. Quite rich and a pretty classic embodiment of what of think of as the BIPA style. Lovely stuff.

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An interesting beer for sure. It appears in the glass as the standard Duvel with just a slight bit of added haze, and also as the standard Duvel malt and yeast base in its flavor make up.

There are hops, however! Lots of hops for sure! It really take the standard Duvel up in hops, and I think it even takes the former Duvel Triple Hop up a bit (although without a side by side comparison I'm only going from memory). It's more about hop flavor than it is about hops in the nose, and I think that's a good way to go - not that you don't get hop aroma, just that the focus seems to be more on the hop's contribution to the overall taste.

With that said, it remains really well-balanced, and it takes the citrusy and somewhat floral-spicy hops to the edge without going overboard. And that's a good thing. Americans tend to go for the biggest and the boldest (which is good in a way because it leads to stretching the boundaries of what we do), but they should try to learn a little restraint from the Europeans as well. Voltaire once wrote: “Le secret d'ennuyer est celui de tout dire" (The secret of being a bore is to tell everything), and it's true. When everything is presented clearly, and quite "in your face" - brutally, even - there's nothing left but to acknowledge it. A little bit of a suggestion, however, leaves things open for interpretation, discussion, and creative thought.

Turning 180 degrees on that argument, what I really find here is that after a few ounces it becomes quite focused on a lemony citrus note, and I don't recall that in its previous incarnation. Of course, again, I'm going from memory but I recall a bit more floral and spice (saaz-like) character. It would be nice if there were more intricacies, but you can hardly fault it for that.

Overall, impressive.

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 750ml/1 pt 9.4 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Craft Beer Cellar, Belmont, MA
Served in a Duvel tulip

Remarkable appearance. The beer poured a near crystal clear, pale golden color. An enormous, bright white, large bubbled, meringue-like head topped the liquid. As the head receded, the bubbles that formed it became even bigger. The wily mass eventually fell to a frothy clump of foam. Spotty patches of lacing coated the glass, but it was a far cry from the signature Brussels lacing that "regular" Duvel is known for. A steady stream of bubbles ascended in the liquid.

The nose was fragrant and punchy. Much different from the standard Duvel. Citra hops dominated initially. Notes of peach, nectarine and a generic tropical fruitiness came through strong. Touch of candied orange peel. Some crisp, grassy, Saaz hops were detectible in the background. The Saaz hops become more noticeable as beer warmed. Clean, fresh, grassy notes that define the varietal were apparent. Somewhat hay-like and lemony. Fruity and phenolic Belgian yeast notes came forth as well. I also picked up hints of fusel-like alcohol as the beer warmed, but this did not distract from everything else happening.

The flavor profile was interesting but not quite as smooth or complex as the nose. Bready, semi-sweet malts came through on the front end. Lots of pithy pininess in the center. Good dose of citrus rind as well. Slightly tart and lemony. Spicy. Dry and bitter on the finish with white grapefruit notes dominating. Overall, the beer was very well balanced and immensely drinkable for 9.5% ABV. Just a touch of alcohol heat appeared as the beer warmed.

The mouthfeel was perhaps the only aspect of this beer that perfectly mimicked its iconic brethren. It was lighter bodied yet super smooth and creamy. The liquid contained a lively, finely beaded effervescence.

Duvel Tripel Hop with Citra is a fantastic American twist on Duvel's iconic Belgian strong pale ale. I will definitely be purchasing future incarnations of this seasonal release.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from bottle into 3oz taster glass by an awesome beertender in Kentucky...who lugged it back from belgium. Thank you!
Poured a golden straw with nice thick foamy head. Great citrusy sweet hop and "belgian" yeast aroma. Such a good smell....
Taste is just amazing. Crazy citrus and sugary hop mixed with belgian malt and yeast profile...such a strange mix, but they really nailed the balance here. Imagine La'Chouffe Dobbelen with citra...
Great brew...have one if you see it. Its great if you like belgians and IPAs...

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear pale yellow color, poured a two finger consistent head with a medium retention and leaving a constant thin lace and marks through the glass.
Strong aroma of citrus and marijuana.
Very citric taste, but not too acid and with a nice hoppy bitterness. Hints of pine, herbal tea and orange peel.
Aftertaste is dry and bitter.
Medium body with good carbonation, and an effervescent sensation. Alcohol of 9.5% is completely well hidden.
Delicious beer, and I had tasted 30 minutes ago a hoppy Mikkeller (hoppy is modest for its 1000 IBUs). I would define it as a Belgian IPA that crossed the Atlantic. Glad to see that tradition is meeting modern times as well. Impressive.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle purchased from Wegmans-Downingtown. Really upscale looking packaging with gold foil wrapped cage & cork and a little booklet explaining the beer.

Appearance: Cloudy straw colored body with a big, fluffy pure white head. Plenty of bubbles streaming to the surface. Head lasts for the whole glass.

Nose: Untoasted wheat bread, typical Belgian aromas, sour lemonade and pine needles

Taste: Wheat at first, followed by bitter lemon and pine thanks to the Citra, rounds out with some caramel notes and boozy heat

Mouthfeel: Light in body but extremely carbonated. Overwhelmingly so at first, but as the beer sits out it becomes more pleasant.

Overall, an above average belgian golden pale with nice lemon & pine IPA characteristics, but not quite the perfection of the original Duvel.

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear light gold with a two finger rocky white head with good retention and plenty of lacing, from a gentle pour. The aroma has Belgian yeast, grapefruit, lemon, pepper, and spices.

The taste is sweet, with hop bitterness for balance. There is Belgian yeast, grapefruit, lemon, pepper, spices, floral hops, and light banana. A nice complex beer which changes slightly with each drink taken.

Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. The alcohol is well disguised for a 9.5% abv beer. Very nicely made. I recommend trying this beer if you get the chance.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The head is a fluffy and clean white color while the beer itself is a clear extremely light amber to a golden straw.

A mix of floral and piney hops along with a bit of lemony zest and other tropical fruits such as banana and mango. The smell also has Belgian sugar and very light hints of black pepper with a tiny nose of alcohol that are shadowed by the other smells.

Note: The beer changes with every drink as gets warmer and it's difficult to pinpoint when one taste dominates at anyone time. The hops start piney and grassy but move into a more citrusy and orange flavor later on. Additionally, the tropical fruit flavors such as mango and orange begin to emerge as the beer warms to room temperature. The beer also has a little bit of alcohol flowing with the other flavors and banana flavor from the yeast. The malts seem to have a minimal presence.

Medium bodied with biting carbonation. The beer finishes fairly dry but rather nice.

A very good beer and interpretation of the style. I might try and see if I can't get another 2012. If you see one, get it.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden colour, nice big dense head (but not as big as a regularDuvel)
Smells of lemon, hints of hop
Nicely balanced between citrus and hoppy bitterness, crisp and refreshing
Thin to medium body, medium carbonation.
Overall really nice crisp beer, with some complexity, citra not overdone

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml bottle into signature tulip glass, 2012 vintage. Pours lightly hazy golden straw color with a 2-3 finger fluffy white head with amazing retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice foamy lacing clings to the glass, with a nice amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big pineapple, mango, tangerine, orange zest, lemon, floral, grass, pear, light pepper, and herbal. Fantastic aromas with great hop balance and complexity. Taste of mango, pineapple, lemon zest, orange zest, floral, grass, light pepper, pear, tangerine, herbal, and earthy spiciness. Good amount of floral bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, mango, orange zest, tangerine, floral, grass, light pepper, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance and complexity of hop flavors; great sweetness/bitterness balance as well; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and medium-full bodied; and an lightly slick, sticky, and fairly prickly mouthfeel that is very nice. Alcohol is extremely well hidden, with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic Belgian IPA. Great hop flavor balance and complexity; and very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

From Platinum. BB 01 2015.

Pours a pale gold. Head is two fingers worth of large froth n bubbles. Fades to a film, spotty lace.

Tangerine, hops, citrus on nose. A blast.

Taste is hop driven, lemon zesty, citrus, Belgian yeast, orange peel, with a balanced hop bite. Dry overall.

Mouthfeel not quite as champage like as std Duvel. Medium bodied, well carbonated.

A really good take on a classic style. What a dilemma for the brewers, with such a good base, how to alter and not worsen. Wish I could do an AB comparison, I suspect I prefer Std.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 Selection

A: Pours a crystal clear light to medium golden yellow in color with some lemon yellow highlights and moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a three finger tall fizzy bright white head that slowly reduces to a couple of medium sized dense patches of medium thickness, an extremely thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of pale malts with some moderate to strong aromas of hops - citrus/lemon/grapefruit along with just a touch of apricot. There are some light amounts of herbal hops and some spicy notes from the yeast. There are some very light hints of vanilla as well.

T: The beer starts out with a light flavor of pale malts followed by some notes of the spicy yeast. Then the hops take over, first some light herbal hop notes followed by some moderate to strong flavors of citrus/lemon/grapefruit hops. Light amounts of bitterness in the finish which fade relatively quickly.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp and effervescent with quite a bit of brightness. Light amounts of dryness in the finish.

O: I enjoyed this version even more than previous versions of the Duvel Tripel Hop - I like the featuring of the citra hop which really stands out in both the smell and the taste of this beer. It is extremely easy to drink and hides the relatively big ABV very well. Highly enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle purchased from Slowbeer in Melbourne.

Pours an exceptionally light yellow colour: very fine and very clear. Head is a solid froth of white—surprisingly not as frothy and large as a regular Duvel usually gives. Carbonation is vibrant and pervasive. It looks like a very nice champagne. Very refined and exciting.

Nose is gorgeous. Big clean citric bite from the Citra, backed by solid leafy, herbal and fresh classic hop varieties. Smooth, clear light malt backs it up, providing a crisp organic character, but letting the hops do most of the work. Some spicy notes from the yeast come through as well, along with a hint of fragrant vanilla, but it's much cleaner than perhaps a standard Belgian ale at 9.5%. In some senses, it's rather reminiscent of an Imperial Pils. Lovely aroma.

Taste is clean and light, and drinkable in that skillful way the Belgians have of making high ABV beers so quaffable. Light mild estery notes on the mid-palate do inflame into a slightly boozy hint on the back. But there's a pleasant brut dryness to the finish as well, which musses up with some leafy hop notes, giving a crisp finish and a lilting flavour kick. Mostly, this is clean and fresh, and really rather pleasant indeed.

Mouthfeel is bright and sparkling, with a pleasant powdery effervescence. It really does justice to the bright crisp hop fragrances.

Yes, this is really excellent stuff. Fresh, fragrant and drinkable, but crafted with mastery and balanced wonderfully.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate to high amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a short head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of citrusy hops are present in the nose - ruby red grapefruit seems to stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, flavors of grapefruit dominate the taste, but these aren't as prominent and overpowering as those found in West Coast IPAs from America. It has a light to moderate amount of bitterness along with hints of Belgian yeast. The grapefruit lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The crispness and balance of this beer makes it very refreshing and easy to drink. Any traces of alcohol are very well hidden from the taste.

4.29/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Golden-orange, low foam but lots of lacing.
Smells of citrus, flowers and green leaves.
Huge (and i mean HUGE) citrus, with lots of lime, sweet orange, pomelo and grapefruit; There's also some light acidic apple, some ripe peach and exotic pineapple. Malts are burried by the hops, but a few grains do come through; Big floral notes, but even bigger herbal notes, with pine, minty sage and fresh green grass; The finish allows the Saaz hops to take the stage, providing a slightly metallic, dry leafy bitterness, that linger for a while, drying up the throat.
The fizz makes it quite thirst quenching, even if it's pretty rough, but there's a cloying aftertaste that's not entirely pleasant.
A beautiful twist on the classic Duvel, with the risk of hidding the original qualities entirely by the Citra dryhopping.
Had this one in 2013 and almost blew up from the bottle, so there was probably some aging too, that enhanced the bitterness.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast