Duvel Tripel Hop 2013 Sorachi Ace - Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

Duvel Tripel  Hop 2013 Sorachi AceDuvel Tripel  Hop 2013 Sorachi Ace

Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.50% ABV

(Beer added by: beerpirates on 03-28-2013)

Brushkanna, Dec 02, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours gold with a large lasting head.
Nose shows Belgian phenols and esters hinting as pears and green apples along with a little brown sugar and some spicy, herbal hops. Alcohol gets strong later on.
Flavours include spicy herbal hops, Belgian phenols, hot solvent-like alcohol, sweet sugary notes. Not great.
Carbonation is much too high, annoyingly so.

CrazyDavros, Oct 29, 2013

Anatole, Nov 26, 2013

Sspeer1, Sep 14, 2013

Novabrewer, Jul 02, 2013

AlexFields, Jul 10, 2013
3.34/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: beautiful hazy pale yellow with thick head and excellent carbonation.
Overall: strong hop presence which overrides the nice belgian yeast character. I like hops, but this is too much in a belgian ale for me. While still a solid beer, a little more balance would be nice.

Ale_Dog, Jun 07, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I was lucky enough to try the Duvel Tripel Hop 2012 with citra which got me very excited about the 2013. Unfortunately, I was let down.

I am drinking it right now and I am a little disappointed. It is definitely a high-hopped overly bitter version of Duvel but I much preferred the citra version.

This beer poured a cloudy, but pretty, light-golden color. The head was huge bubbly like soap foam.

In my glass was a bitter lemony aroma which got me excited again.

The taste was very bitter and dry. I usually like this very much from a good, heavily hopped beer but there was not enough balance.

I consider myself a hop-head but this beer was too much for me. Something just wasn't right.

Not a BAD beer, but I'd probably stick with regular Duvel over this tripel hopped version. I wonder which hop they'll use next year because I LOVED the 2012 version.

TrevorWGrover, Jul 24, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

.33 Litre bottle into a Duvel glass in 'Halte 5' a specialist beer bar next to Brugge Railway Station on 22 sep 2013.

Poured it myself, full white head on the golden body, just like it should be.

Grassy, citrus and hoppy. That just about wraps it up nicely. Add some Belgian yeast esters and a spoon full of alcohol and you've nailed the brew completely.

BlackHaddock, Oct 04, 2013

BelgianBeerPope, May 11, 2013

leodarko, Jun 16, 2013

Brewski, Jul 29, 2013
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear pale yellow with a lovely, Duvel quality head - tall and lumpy, settling to a thick layer above the surface. Definite Sorachi Ace lemon aromas to start, but also more grassy, peppery hop notes, yeast esters, and a bit of pale malt. Sorachi Ace is front and center in the flavor as well, more so than the nose. Lemony with an almost white wine-like quality. Bitter citrus peel, flowers, spicy yeast. Medium bodied and seemingly a little stronger feeling than the original. I don't know...obviously, the base beer is great, a classic, but the Sorachi is distracting (which is all too common). It's still a fine beer, but this hop is certainly not one I would choose to dry hop Duvel.

wedge, Aug 14, 2013
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The bottle says its good until 09 2015!

My pour gets a finger and a half of white head. The body is a vibrant straw color. Lace clings in thick sheets.

I smell grain, hops, a little bit of booze. Yeast and grass are also all up in the mix.

Grain and yeast make up the front end of this. Very grassy and gardeny hops take over, then a slight spice mixes in. No real alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. I would classify this beer as slightly sticky overall. Dry finish.

CFHMagnet, Sep 27, 2013
3.56/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So, this pours a hazy yellowish-gold color. With a thick head that dissipated fast. I poured it into my Duvel Green snifter. (Gotta love proper glassware). At first sniff, I smelled a light hoppy aroma engulfed by a mild Belgian scent. At first sip... it tasted like a plain Belgian IPA... but after the second and third sip, I started getting a mild hop burn in my throat (not normally where I get it) which was a nice welcome to the beer.

Sorachi Ace hops were added to this years, and it seems to fit really well into this beer. It adds a whole new level of complexity to a normal Belgian IPA. Duvel's brewer(s) picked right this year. It's a nice "light" 9.5abv beer that drinks very easily on a hot day.

I'm happy to say that I've tried it, and would tell others who enjoy a new beer to give it a try, but I won't go around ranting and raving and MAKING people try it. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I don't think you'll be blown away either.

briankrespan, Jul 01, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Best by 09/2015 ... reviewed 7/13/2013.

Glassware: Samuel Adams Perfect Pint

Appearance: Straw-yellow color, with perfectly clear sparkling quality. No sediment to be found. A mild pour produced an average size head with rocky and frothy bubbles that lasted for quite some time. Lacing was sparse. Tons and tons of carbonation streaming upwards upon first pour ... super carbonated. Very pretty.

Smell: Smell is of biscuity and sweet malts, a bit of perfumey and piney hops. The yeast gives qualities of dough, earthy funkiness, a bit of leather, and a somewhat strong scent of banana.

Taste: Perfume and pine bitterness are the flavors gathered from the hops. Additionally, the yeast shines through again with the taste of banana, black pepper, and some earthy funk.

Mouthfeel: Body is light-medium, with a slick and oily texture. Carbonation is downright fizzy and sparkling. A bit much for my tastes.

Overall: I prefer the regular Duvel. This adds a level of bitterness, but it is much more towards the bitter/piney/floral spectrum. Would have liked to try 2012's Citra hop version. Carbonation is insane, so I recommend an aggressive pour to get rid of some of it. Overall, a decent beer that I'm glad I tried. If I'm spending the money in the future, I'll get the regular Duvel. Until 2014, of course.

ChrisKayler, Jul 16, 2013