Be Hoppy - Wormtown Brewery

Be HoppyBe Hoppy

Wormtown Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: jmerloni on 04-01-2010

2010: Growler fills and taps only.
2011: Growler fills, taps, and 22oz bottles.
2012: Growler fills, taps, and 22oz bottles.
2013: Growler fills, taps, and 22oz bottles. A 60 case (360 4-packs) trial run of 16oz cans was released brewery only on September 18. Due to success, canning to begin in 2014.
2014: Growler fills, taps, 22oz bottles, and 4 pack 16oz cans.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Be Hoppy Alström Bros
Reviews: 144 | Hads: 1,125

I tried this beer on draft at a bar in the summer BEFORE knowing any of the hype... and my eyes went wide after the first sip.

Every sip after that, I kept exclaiming to people at the table how good this beer was. For me, it was the kind of beer I've always been looking for. I'm really into IPAs, but I too often feel like they go overboard with the hops, rendering the beer skunky and hard to drink. This beer on the other hand had the perfect level of flavor, but was also extremely drinkable and refreshing. Medium bodied, crisp, and the aftertaste was just pure joy. Had a very very slight hint of grapefruit which made it great for warm weather.

Probably my all time favorite beer, and again, I decided that after the first sip BEFORE even having a clue about the hype.

Was going to write my own review, but then saw the one by RunningFox and have to just agree with that... Really great brew from a small, young brewery in nearby Worcester, MA... very glad it's readily available on tap in two bars in my town of Hudson, MA; Horseshoe Pub and Rail Trail Flat Bread.

RunningFox review:
Hands down my favorite beer right now. Amazing.
It sports a solid 2-finger off-white head that holds firm and relaxes to form craters and great lacing on the glass. The color is a hazy light amber. The aroma is of strong, fresh hops with a sweet floral high note. the taste is of citrus balanced with light biscuit. A perfect bitter hop finish follows through to the swallow.

The perfect hoppy ale. Golden in color but perfect balance. Plenty of citrus hops and sparkle AND body. Love that we can get it at a local place on tap.

Hands down my favorite beer right now. Amazing.

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a great ipa, good smell, great taste.
Pours hazy golden,
Smells great, piney notes are present.
Taste is smooth, nice hoppy taste, dry clean finish.
This is good!!! I would recommend this to any one who loves IPAs, this is great! You won be disappointed!!! Big thanks to Tadd for sending this!

4.98/5  rDev +16.9%

So, i had this on draught a few weeks before finding it in 16 oz. 4-packs. It's near flawless either way.

The appearance is a hazy blonde, not the orange color i expected.

The smell is fabulous, melons and fruits. Reminds me of Sculpin.

Taste is perfect-ish. Hoppy and complex, smooth and delicious. Not too much of anything, including booze.

I would like it to be a bit more carbonated, but that's just me and i like a bubbly ale.

Overall, I love this beer. It's got smell & taste that rival any of the super-hyped IPA's in it's class. Worth the hunt. Cheers.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

Tested from 16 oz. can. Cloudy yellow gold color with slightly off white head which leaves behind a nice level of lace. Smells of lemon peel and citrus somewhere between pummelo and clementine. Taste is much like the nose lemon zest and with citrus notes and almost peppery type bite without tasting of pepper. Great level of hoppiness without being overdone. This beer has only very mild bitterness. The mouthfeel is initially crisp and transitions to a nice almost sugar water feel. Plenty of carbonation but again without being overdone. I've heard said before an I agree no need to go for Vt. for Heady Topper (well except its Vt. and Heady Topper) with this down the road!

4.91/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16oz can poured into a weizen glass
Awesome translucent golden color with one finger pillow like head; leaves nice lacing throughout.
Smells of fruit citrus hops up front. Taste follows suit but backed nicely with enough malt to not be overly bitter. Finishes sweet mixed with a lingering hop bitterness to be expected from a hop forward IPA. I love this IPA and buy it whenever I see it. Definitely in my top 3 IPA's made in MA right now.

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

Although it is a clear brew, the difference between this and an adjunct beer becomes "clear" after the first smell. Tastes as good as it smells. And not too heavy on the ABV, so I appriciate that. Hits the smell, ABV and taste buds on 8 cylinders, I'm totally impressed on how well put together this IPS is.

4.86/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Here's an IPA that his all the right notes. Nice hop nose. Super solid, hoppy taste. Balanced mouthfeel. Long, but not overpowering finish. Weekday any IPA should be. Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

An IPA just as I like them.. moderate to high bitterness, enormous citrus/floral bouquet, well-balanced hop flavor, all packaged into a very pale, dry beer: maltiness is very restrained, with none of sweetness that I generally find very conflicting in this style. Extremely drinkable.

This is a great American IPA that is worthy of notice, certainly one of the very best being made in New England right now.

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

this is a great beer, all the flavor you would expect from a full bodied IPA..as a local brew it makes me happy that they produce a world class beer..its tough to find sometimes but if you see it you need to grab some,i get the 4 pk cans for their versatility,the bottles may well be even better

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Edit:2/26/14- Have had this too many times to not elaborate upon my green thumb review.

A-Hazy orange/amber with a puffy head that slowly dissipates. The body glows. The head is dense and as it succumbs to the air it leaves stains along the glass.

S-Big bouquet of tropical fruits. Citrus fruits and an aroma of muddled pineapple. Some grass and pine as well. A little nectarine too. The malt is even infused with the hoppy aromatics.

T-The flavor matches the electricity found in the nose. Liquified hop smoothie. I love hop tropical the hops are here. Name the exotic fruit, it's probably there. As it warms, the malt comes out much more. Bread and dough malt flavors with pale malt. This one is no slouch in the bitterness department. The hops dive-bomb my tongue with bitterness after the fruits go away...tora! tora! tora!

M-Bitter for sure. Just the faintest touch of alcohol. Lightly resinous. Really sessionable, though. I always find that my favorite IPAs, while bitter, go down with such ease. I try to savor but can't.

O/D-One of my favorite, if not my favorite IPA from Mass. So fresh from the growler. So bodacious from the bottle. So crazy in the can. So perfect on tap down right next to the brewery. This is a HOF'er for me. Really happy it still a bit of a hidden gem!

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pour: Crystal clear saffron with a nice finger’s worth of fluffy white head that last for a while, leaving a ton of lacing. A great looking beer.

Aroma: Sweet smell of hops. A nice fruity and floral aroma greets my nose, with orange and lemon peel in the, as well as pine and a sweet caramel malt backbone.

Taste: Great hop flavor right up front, a ton of citrus with a balance of floral flavor, mostly lemon peel and jasmine. A sweet toasted caramel backbone makes itself apparent as you get closer to the end of the bottle. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, and the after taste is hoppy, but not overly bitter, making it quite pleasant.

Overall: This is an amazing IPA. Well balanced, great hop flavor without overpowering bitterness, and a nice smooth drinker. I could see myself having this year round, refreshing on hot summer days, and warming during a January snowstorm. Pick up a bottle of this if you can find it.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

On draft at Peppercorns, the restaurant attached to Wormtown Brewery.

Jeezus - this is my new favorite brew. Last time an IPA moved me like this was the Green Flash West Coast IPA. And this is certainly an East Coast - West Coast style. A beautiful golden aromatic pint. Heavily dry-hopped.

TASTE: Oweeee...! If you like dem grapefruit-like hops (like I do) you in fer a treat! I've had this on draft at some other venues, but this version just kicked ass.

UPDATE 8.1.13: This brew continues to blow me away. In eastern Mass it's only on draft as far as I know, and it is, like the aforementioned Green Flash, my go to when it's on the draft list. We recently brewed a homebrew version from Ben Roesch's (Wormtown Brewing) recipe. It was delicious! But the original.... Maahhvelous.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love that this brewery is 10 min away from me. Be hoppy is definitely a must have in every beer geek's fridge. Affordable and delicious, two of it favorite things.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Served from 16 oz. can

A - From what I could tell, a nice hazy straw color.

S - Zesty hop aromas, including orchid, lemon, tangerine, and wildflower honey.

T - Exceptionally floral with a strong citrus presence as well. Notes of lemongrass, too. The malt has a vibrant honey biscuit flavor to it. The aftertaste has a touch of bitterness to accompany the lingering flowery taste.

M - Medium bodied and refreshing.

O - A great IPA - certainly a New England standout. The moderate ABV makes it an ideal summertime sipper.

Update - After a long absence on shelves, picked up a four pack canned on 4/9/15. Supremely balanced and easy-to-drink, but still loaded with citrusy hops and yeasty goodness. One of my favorite 6% IPAs. Really, only Fresh Squeezed is even in the same league.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

This was bottled FIVE DAYS AGO (8/13/11), only 1300 bottles and change. Had Be Hoppy first over a year ago and never really revisted it while at Peppercorns, as there are so many great seasonal releases. When I heard that this would be released in bottles, I wasn't that thrilled either (bring on Sweet Tats I say!). That was, until Ben said he was tweaking Be Hoppy just a bit for bottling (believe he said he was going to run it through a second dry hop for aroma purposes)! Now, I had to get my hands on a few bottles. As always, really enjoy the label art.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a crystal clear light gold colour with a super creamy two finger head that leaves HUGE side lacing as it recedes. It never fully dissolves, just slumps to become a nice white blanket. Best non stout/porter appearance for a wormtown beer I've had.

S - I was on the fence with this, but as it warms, it becomes something magical. Its so fresh, the hops are so prominant and so bitter. Great cascade and simcoe hops. My goodness. With just a faint malt backbone.

T - Boom. I feel like thats all I have to say when writing this review is "boom", but, I suppose I will describe it a bit. This is a delicious west coast style IPA. Great bitter pine and citrus hops (grapefruit anyone?). Pine resin and oils, slight sweet malts. This is all about the bitter hops.

M - Like with regular Be Hoppy, I woul dlike to see a bit more carbonation with this. Its low, and combined with the oily pines its just a bit much. That being said, I want to keep drinking this. Alot.

O - Yeah, love this beer. Love this beer alot. I'm a sucker for a good fresh IPA, and this is one of the fresher ones I've had. Love how the extra hopping made this really pop from the bottle. Still can't get over the head/lacing on this sucker. Wish every Wormtown offering could be like this.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Golden orange in color with what is a very near perfect citrus-hoppy blast of fragrance upon pouring in the glass. So well balanced that it pushes towards the top of the class. A nice resin strong finish; more firm and less bright than some of the superstars in this class (Ex: Heady). This is an excellent beer and reminds me of Fiddlehead with less malt......which is my preference. Well done.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The brewery is starting with four year-round beers: Turtle Boy Blueberry Ale, Seven Hills Pale Ale, Worcester's Bravest Ale and Be Hoppy IPA. The only beer that is currently being brewed that is a little higher in alcohol is the Be Hoppy IPA, a nice bitter IPA.
This is a beer for the hop heads, certainly my favorite of the Wormtown lineup

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

On-tap 7/30/13 at Pour Farm Tavern in New Bedford, MA, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a medium foamy off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a nice blend of floral hops, fruity citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong hops bitterness that is quickly followed by a lot of citrus and a caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a very good balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent IPA to pound down for a long time.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

22oz Bomber into my Peoples Pint Pied pIPA Pint Glass
A - pale yellow, with hints of orange, creamy head persists, slightly hazy.
S - floral sweet hops aroma - heavenly
T - crisp bitterness, resiny, otherwise fairly light and mild. Little bit of citrus, malt in there somewhere
M - not sticky - it's 80 deg F today and it goes down nice. Actually thirst quenching.
O - Delicious IPA, hop forward without being one of these triple IPA alcohol bombs. Extra points for local. Liking this a lot. Need to find somebody who has this on tap.

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was able to score a fresh 4 pack that was canned on 4/9/15 and I can't emphasize how amazing this beer is when its fresh.
A: Somewhat hazy with a golden copper like color with a foamy white head.
S: Smells very piney with mild citrus notes.
T: Mild bitterness, piney notes, has a nice dry, hoppy finish. The citrus notes seem to pop in my mouth...so much flavor!
M: Mild to medium amount of carbonation. Has a nice body to it as the hops definitely tingle the mouth.
O: Overall, having this beer fresh is a real treat. The hops pop in your mouth combined with juicy citrus notes...fantastic!!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

a: Cloudy, murky straw color; served with a small fizzy head.

s: Big hop aromas of dank, wet pine plus some pithy grapefruit. A hint of bready malt and caramel for balance.

t: Massively pungent and hoppy. Pretty much mirrors the smell. Bready malt hard to find under the fresh tasting hop assault. The hops are juicy, dank, and hugely flavorful with relatively low bitterness.

m: Pretty chewy and dense feeling.

o: One of the best IPAs I've tried. Kick ass and world class.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a golden color, very hazy but no visible particles. Nice fluffy white head.

Aroma is a burst of bright, juicy citrus scents with hints of tropical fruit like pineapple and mango. Really saturated with delicious smells of fruit.

The first sip brings an incredible punch of tropical and citrus flavors, like pineapple and grapefruit mixed together. Some of the hop bitterness starts to get in the way though, giving the taste a sharp bitter edge that masks those amazing tastes. But still the beer is very solid with every sip filled with tropical/ctirus fruit.

The stiff hop bitterness overpowers at first but fades with the aftertaste leavying a medium body smacking of fruit sweetness and a clean, dry yet fruity aftertaste.

Really blown away by this beer, one of the best IPAs I've had, ever. Dial the hop bitterness back but keep the late hop additions and you could give Heady Topper a run for its money!

Be Hoppy from Wormtown Brewery