Follow our progress ...

Sweet Tat's Breakfast StoutSweet Tat's Breakfast Stout

Wormtown Brewery
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

2010: 8.0% ABV (available only on tap and in growlers)
2011- : 9.0% ABV (available on tap, growlers, and in 22oz bottles)

Added by ppoitras on 06-06-2010

Reviews: 36 | Ratings: 170
Reviews by Andrew041180:
3.83/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am new to reviewing stouts.

A - Poured very dark, nearly black, with a small amount of head that faded to a small ring and left lacing only at the very top. I was using a tulip glass and am not sure what kind of retention stouts usually present. Looked nice to me though.

S - Most of what I smelled was dark roasted coffee and some untraceable sweetness.

T - Followed the nose for me. I tasted sweetened coffee, which I am not a huge fan of. Oddly I was sharing a bottle with my wife, and while she found it to be too bitter, I found it to be a touch too sweet. Both of us enjoyed it, I'm being a little picky here. In either case, I felt it hid the alcohol very well.

M - Silky and not as full-bodied as I expected. Certainly not bad though.

O - Like I said, I'm new to stouts and not a huge fan of coffee and chocolate flavors in general. I can certainly see how people would love this beer, but it doesn't line up well for my particular tastes.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber poured into an oversized snifter.

A: In color, it's as dark as brown can get before it becomes black. A one-inch khaki colored head soon settles into a thin slip. Lacing is sparse and thin.

S: A delightful aroma of freshly ground coffee beans wafts out of the glass. I could smell it long before I got my nose in there to sniff. Oats manifest themselves in the form of a starchy and somewhat spicy aroma. Hot cocoa and vanilla bean underneath the coffee scents. Very faint and vague darkfruit and only a suggestion of acidity. A good strong nose.

T: Rich, earthy coffee tastes open. Vanilla bean and creamy hot cocoa meld with the coffee to create a beautiful flavor combination. Oat contribution is multi-dimensional and adds starchy and spicy tastes along with a creamy impression. Dark chocolate and some acidic bitterness ride up on the palate toward the finish, along with hints of some herbal hop tastes. Long, impressive finish showcases rich coffee, layered chocolatey flavors, and maybe just a kiss of smoke.

M: Thick, but not too heavy. Very full, creamy, and fluffy. Carbonation is moderate, tight, and a bit prickly. It's nitpicking really, but the carbonation feels a tad too aggressive, and it takes away just a bit from the overall smoothness.

O: This is one amazing beer, and the best local brew I've had in a very long time. It can hold its own with the likes of Founders Breakfast Stout and Peche Mortel. I predict that this will be a highly sought after trade item once word starts to get out about this great beer and this great brewery.

Notes: Wormtown may just be the Northeast's best kept secret at this point. The few beers I've had by them have been stellar.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Opaque, tight lace.
Very full body, smooth, hot, dense flavor, lingering palate.
Moderately bitter and sweet.
Moderatly strong roast flavors, quality coffee, vanilla.
Delicious, elegant, well balanced.

Sweet Tat's Breakfast Stout from Wormtown Brewery