Sweet Tat's Breakfast Stout - Wormtown Brewing Co.

Sweet Tat's Breakfast StoutSweet Tat's Breakfast Stout

Wormtown Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  9.00% ABV

2010: 8.0% ABV (available only on tap and in growlers)
2011- : 9.0% ABV (available on tap, growlers, and in 22oz bottles)

(Beer added by: ppoitras on 06-06-2010)
3.81/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am new to reviewing stouts.

A - Poured very dark, nearly black, with a small amount of head that faded to a small ring and left lacing only at the very top. I was using a tulip glass and am not sure what kind of retention stouts usually present. Looked nice to me though.

S - Most of what I smelled was dark roasted coffee and some untraceable sweetness.

T - Followed the nose for me. I tasted sweetened coffee, which I am not a huge fan of. Oddly I was sharing a bottle with my wife, and while she found it to be too bitter, I found it to be a touch too sweet. Both of us enjoyed it, I'm being a little picky here. In either case, I felt it hid the alcohol very well.

M - Silky and not as full-bodied as I expected. Certainly not bad though.

O - Like I said, I'm new to stouts and not a huge fan of coffee and chocolate flavors in general. I can certainly see how people would love this beer, but it doesn't line up well for my particular tastes.

Andrew041180, Jun 08, 2013

jayhunter357, May 25, 2013

shehateme, May 25, 2013

wdarcy77, May 10, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

AnitaBrewski, Apr 18, 2013
4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Surge1311 for this bottle!

vintage 2013; poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: black bodied beer with 3 fingers of light tan head. The beer leaves a better than spotty lace on the glass. Good head retention as well.

Smell: Its vanilla forward stout with a mild roast and cocoa nib in the nose. This beer smells really sweet. Brewing adjuncts take the spot light over the malt profile of this beer. This beer smells great! I am digging the nose of this beer alot.

Taste: Thats a surprise! I expected to have a lot of sweet vanilla flavor based on the nose, but its not the case. Lots of cocoa and chocolate notes with a hint of sweetness. Little bit of roasty malts and a light bitterness in the finish. Not getting too much coffee either.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Really drinkable 9% stout; I would place it around 5-6% abv if I didnt see the label. Creamy and silky mouthfeel. Sooo darn soild.

Overall: This is my 2nd Wormtown beer. I was very impressed with Pro Am Porter and Sweet Tats is pretty good too. I was a little bit dissapointed that the coffee and vanilla didnt translate into the taste of the beer very much. Nonetheless, its a really good american stout. The nose and mouthfeel are fantastic. I must say that the creamy and silkiness in the mouthfeel is a Wormtown trademark because both dark beers that I have drank from Wormtown are similiar in this manner. Great local beer, if I could pick this up off the shelf I would be a repeat customer of this beer.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Apr 13, 2013

patrickcmcd, Mar 08, 2013
3.89/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured on-tap and served in a tulip, the beer is a dark brown color with a thin, frothy, brown, clingy head. Good lacing as you drink. Nose of bitter chocolate and light roasted coffee, with a touch of smokiness. Flavors of bitter coffee, roasty and coffee grounds, with a dark chocolate ribbon throughout. Aftertaste of roastiness and coffee, with a linger in the dry, smooth finish. Thin, smooth bodied throughout. Damn tasty.

GarthDanielson, Mar 06, 2013
4.84/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a dark brown almost black chocolate color with a nice 1 1/2 finger coffee colored head

S - Not an intense aroma coming out of this, hints of roasty chocolate, coffee, and even a little vanilla come through. Intensifies as it warms.

T - Wow! Did not expect it to taste this good after smelling it. Sweet and roasted chocolate with almost the perfect amount of coffee, vanilla and caramel flavor.

M - Thick and creamy but not overly heavy. Very smooth, excellent carbonation and goes down really easy.

O - Wormtown nailed this one damn near to perfection. Great brew that can hold its own against the likes of Founders Breakfast Stout. A must try.

Lambocalrisien, Mar 04, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured intona tulip.

Jet black in color. khaki head one finger in size fades to a ring.

Aroma is primarily coffee, along with vanilla spice. Roasted chocolate malt firmly in the background.

The flavor is mainly dark roasted coffee along with vanilla bean up front. Chocolate malt is 2nd fiddle. Acidic coffee on the finish.

A little thin on the mouthfeel, given that its a big stout. Not satisfying.

Overall it's not bad. Similar to the appraoch of FBS. I just had speedway stout recently so its hard not to compareit to that. I enjoyed speedway much more. I can see how many would like Sweet Tats though.

jbertsch, Feb 24, 2013

emottram, Feb 20, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

A- Deep dark black with no light penetrating whatsoever. A lovely, thick crown of foam erupts on the pour providing a gorgeous mocha colored cap to the massively dark body. As the glass nears empty brown highlights become present around the edges. Great sticky lacing as the foam slowly recedes. Great looking beer.

S- Lots of stuff going on here. I'm taken back by the smack of coffee; fresh, dark, black and roasty notes of coffee waft from the glass. I'm also surprised at the amount of english hop aroma I'm getting- it may be accentuated by the vanilla bean. The cocoa nib isn't as present as the coffee and vanilla, but I think it is there in the nose...hard to tell over the copious amounts of coffee.

T/M- Big things going on here. Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Big time coffee- dark and robust. As in the nose, the coffee is followed by herbal hops and vanilla- not sure which is in the lead; they play so nicely off eachother. Followed by a nice, clean oatmeal crispness in the mid palate. A bit of dark, bitter chocolate also shows up in the middle and follows into the finish.

O- This is a very good beer. A few tweaks could make a huge difference and turn a good beer into an absolutely world class stout. It needs a bit more heft to the body and more malt sweetness and roast to counter the massive coffee bitterness.

sentomaster, Feb 19, 2013

bluesplit63, Jan 05, 2013

alamode, Jan 05, 2013

jboyer, Dec 25, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to kelp for passing along a bottle in the latest version of our continuing trading adventures. Always a pleasure trading with my go-to New England trader.

Had never heard of this brewery or beer.

Poured from a 2012 bottle into two snifters.

A- Darkest brown you can get. Pours with a nice khaki head that settles down into a bubbly party.

S/T - This beer is about the closest I have had to Founders Breakfast Stout. Combines the dark malts and coffee to produce that classic breakfast stout style. I don't get any of the vanilla and the oat must be dialed back to allow the coffee bitterness to dominate. With a little tweaking, this could be world class. It is just a tad bitter, if it was dialed back a bit it would be the perfect integration. As it is, it is really good though. Should be a 4.25 on both.

M - Very nice. Rich and full.

O- a really nice beer. I would go pretty much 4.25 across the board.

Beerisheaven, Dec 23, 2012

splendidsplinter, Dec 18, 2012

AdamP, Dec 17, 2012

morningthief, Dec 06, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Binger72, Dec 03, 2012
Sweet Tat's Breakfast Stout from Wormtown Brewing Co.