Norm - Wormtown Brewing Co.

NormNorm

Wormtown Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  6.80% ABV

2012: Growler and tap only
2013: Growler, tap, and limited 22oz bottle release (120 12 bottle cases total, bottled on October 4).

(Beer added by: rudzud on 08-27-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Norm Alström Bros

ScottStache, Dec 27, 2013

WoostaBia, Aug 13, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Just tried my first Norm today. I have to say I was surprised. This is one I resisted to try for some time, but the reviews that claimed it tasted "just like an Almond Joy" worried me. I was afraid it would be overly sweet and taste nothing like beer. I'm glad I made the jump.

First Impressions.

Poured into a 20 oz pint glass. Little or no head.

Aroma- Yes that is coconut. Then there is a dark chocolate hint in the back ground.

Taste- Chocolate, dark chocolate. Then there is a hit of coconut on the finish. This is not sickeningly sweet. No sweetness at all. Hints of strong dark coffee. I have to say I really like this. Why did I wait ?

Mouth Feel- Smooth, silky, you would almost expect a syrupy mouth feel, but none. Great mouth feel, very smooth. Very nice.

Overall- I will have to get this again. Very very good beer. Great for those cold New England nights by the fire. Kudos to the brewers at Wormtown....

hughlatimer, Oct 20, 2013

Reagan1984, Jan 19, 2013

julie3231, Aug 09, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Tap at peppercorns
Darker colored thick creamy 1 finger head almost pitch black beer. Nice layered lacing.

Nose oh damn! Pure almond joy. Lots of dark chocolate and milk chocolate, lots of toasty coconut, little coffee ice cream and chocolate milk shake, caramel, light buttery vanilla and almost oak like presence probably from the coconut.

Taste starts luscious and creamy with lots more toasted coconut. Toasted and fresh shredded coconut, with again a light buttery coconut oil flavor. Then chocolate galore. Some dark and bakers but mostly creamy milk chocolate and cocoa butter, some vanilla again as well as coffee ice cream. Light oatmeal taste and feel to a hint of oatmeal cookie. Touch of caramel and toasty dough malt, and a hint nutty.Light cinnamon i think or that might be my imagination running away with me. A light bitterness on the finish with creamy silky feel, more chocolate and coconut galore lingering, a touch of booze toward the end as i swirl the beer around my mouth for what seems like ages.

Mouth is fuller bodied rich creamy silky smooth and sexy satin decent carb.

Overall deliiicious! I wish i could freeze it in the winter and skate on it, then melt it in the spring and drink it again. Also bathe in it and make clothes from it. I don't think it gave me as much of a hard-on as Rudzud, but I really enjoyed this beer. I really hope they bottle it.

jlindros, Aug 28, 2012
4.65/5  rDev +11%

So this beer has been years in the making as with much persistence Norm convinced Ben to brew a coconut stout. Finally it happened!

A - Poured into a standard snifter a deep dark oily black with a wonderful one finger mocha head that faded to leave wonderful lacing throughout and nice retention.

S - Aromas mind blow. Its melted almond joys in a glass. Super large chocolate aromas and roasted, toasted coconut. Sooo much damn chocolate in this, crazy. I'll let JLindros go into detail about malt styles and such; all you need to know is this is a damn almond joy in a glass.

T - Taste is so dam. Close to the nose. Chocolate explodes rich and dark intermingling with wonderful roasted coconut flakes. There are light nuttiness atleast so I taste, could be my mind playing tricks...man oh man.

M - Mouthfeel is almost too silky and smooth. This is velvet for my mouth, rich and creamy. The carbonation is on the low side, which lends only to the milky creaminess.

O - Overall this beer ranks up there for me with top Wormtown beers right behind Tennessee Tats for me. Seek this beer out while you can, its outstanding. Wish, wish they'd bottle this beer.

rudzud, Aug 27, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz bomber into a pint glass.

Others have given accurate descriptions of appearance and aroma, so I'll briefly say that the color of the foamy head is a wonderful light tan that darkens near the edge of the glass. Pour it slowly; the head is very persistent.

The flavor of this beer is amazing. I've never tasted coconut in a stout before this, and I find it is a perfect complement to the dark roastiness of the malt. I think there's juuust a bit too much coconut in there, but it's by no means overpowering. I could happily drown in this stout.

GimmeAGuinness, Jan 12, 2014
4.61/5  rDev +10%

I don't normally write short reviews, but this deserves it.

It tastes exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, like a dark chocolate Almond Joy candy bar. Its almost 3D. Rich Dark chocolate, you can feel the shredded coconut and taste the nuts.

This beer is awesome.

Wow!!!!

taez555, Oct 14, 2013
4.61/5  rDev +10%

Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a very dark brown. Very large and frothy light brown head. Head retention is excellent as it slowly fades away. Top-notch lacing; heavy and thick and ever-present.

S: Really nice bittersweet chocolate aroma. Sweet grains backing it up, oatmeal I assume. Swear I get coffee even though there's no coffee in this. Not really getting a ton of coconut, mainly it's a chocolate oatmeal stout from the aroma. Mildly earthy. Very pleasant regardless.

T: Now there's the coconut. Lots of nice toasted coconut up front with a perfect backing of sweet oatmeal and bittersweet chocolate. Perfect balance and melding of flavors. Mild earthy coconut with lots of bitter cocoa in the aftertaste. This beer is stupid good.

M: Medium bodied, very very smooth and creamy.

O: Whoa. Great oatmeal stout. Addition of cocoa and coconut puts it over the time. It is mellow and smooth and creamy and so easy drinking. At the same time there is surprisingly great strength and complexity for 6.8%. Flavors compliment each other nicely and are well balanced. Amazing brew by Wormtown.

Dope, Nov 04, 2013
4.59/5  rDev +9.5%

Apears black with a khaki head that fades to a ring.

Smells awesome. Big on both fudgy chocolate and coconut. Mounds bar in a glass.

It tastes as expected, but is suprising how righteous both the chocolate and coconut flavors are. They're both in full force but also balanced well. Sweet coconut hits first, but decadent chocolate is right behind it. I love how the coconut was not skimped on.

Full mouthfeel. A touch slick but in a silky dark chocolate kinda way.

Overall this is just awesome. Its not about providing layers of hidden flavors...its about huge chocolate and huge coconut flavors. Its unbashful and an awesome desert beer. Anyone who loves Mounds Bars, Bountys, Almond Joy, etc., you have to try this beer. Wormtown really does stouts and porters well.

jbertsch, Dec 16, 2012

JakerLou, Oct 25, 2013

ChrisComp72, Jan 26, 2014

ThisMoonlife, Dec 21, 2013

Denzo, Dec 30, 2013

Bjlps, Dec 29, 2013

Kmlund, Nov 13, 2013
Norm from Wormtown Brewing Co.