Norm - Wormtown Brewing Co.

NormNorm

Wormtown Brewing Co. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  6.80% ABV

2012: Growler and tap only
2013: Growler, tap, and limited 22oz bottle release (120 12 bottle cases total, bottled on October 4).

(Beer added by: rudzud on 08-27-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Norm Alström Bros

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled October 2013.

A: Pours a very dark brown. Very large and frothy light brown head. Head retention is excellent as it slowly fades away. Top-notch lacing; heavy and thick and ever-present.

S: Really nice bittersweet chocolate aroma. Sweet grains backing it up, oatmeal I assume. Swear I get coffee even though there's no coffee in this. Not really getting a ton of coconut, mainly it's a chocolate oatmeal stout from the aroma. Mildly earthy. Very pleasant regardless.

T: Now there's the coconut. Lots of nice toasted coconut up front with a perfect backing of sweet oatmeal and bittersweet chocolate. Perfect balance and melding of flavors. Mild earthy coconut with lots of bitter cocoa in the aftertaste. This beer is stupid good.

M: Medium bodied, very very smooth and creamy.

O: Whoa. Great oatmeal stout. Addition of cocoa and coconut puts it over the time. It is mellow and smooth and creamy and so easy drinking. At the same time there is surprisingly great strength and complexity for 6.8%. Flavors compliment each other nicely and are well balanced. Amazing brew by Wormtown.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter

A - Pours a near black color with a finger of frothy khacki foam that shows good staying power. Foamy lacing left on the glass.

S - Super chocolatey aroma, cocoa powder, smooth roasted malt. Sweet toasted coconut aroma really rounds this one out nicely...very good smelling beer.

T - Slight astringency up front, tons of cocoa, touch of coffee roastiness, milky chocolate/Hershey's syrup. Coconut in the middle and thru to the finish and beyond.

M - Full bodied and velvety smooth. Mid-level carbonation with a low fizzy tingle to it. A bit slick and oily.

O - Overall a good American stout. Really like the coconut aspects here. Coconut is an underutilized ingredient I think. Really adds nice sweet, creamy, and toasty notes to a stout. I would definitely grab another couple of bottles if I see them before they disappear.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Big time want, very happy to cop a bottle.

A-Pours quite close to black. Thinner, tan head grows then fades until it sits like a thin wafer above the beer's body. Light lacing.

S-Yes! I get some serious coconut here. I actively seek out any beer brewed with coconut and I never seem to smell or taste much of it (especially in stouts or porters). This one is the exception. Chocolate covered coconut macaroons. Mounds bar. Toasted coconut meat and coffee with coconut syrup. Really impressive.

T-The coconut is genuine and downright tasty. It matches the chocolate and roast quite well. Dark chocolate and light roast coffee. Very similar to a Mounds bar. This is probably the most coconut forward beer I have tried and I love that. That being said, the flavor is a noticeable step down from the nose.

M-Body is relatively light. Carbonation is also soft. Very drinkable. The light body complements the unique flavor well.

O/D-Wormtown is one of my favs and when I heard they brewed a coconut stout I almost died. This one really lives up to my own personally hype-mobile. Can't wait for next year, assuming they re-brew this.

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Just tried my first Norm today. I have to say I was surprised. This is one I resisted to try for some time, but the reviews that claimed it tasted "just like an Almond Joy" worried me. I was afraid it would be overly sweet and taste nothing like beer. I'm glad I made the jump.

First Impressions.

Poured into a 20 oz pint glass. Little or no head.

Aroma- Yes that is coconut. Then there is a dark chocolate hint in the back ground.

Taste- Chocolate, dark chocolate. Then there is a hit of coconut on the finish. This is not sickeningly sweet. No sweetness at all. Hints of strong dark coffee. I have to say I really like this. Why did I wait ?

Mouth Feel- Smooth, silky, you would almost expect a syrupy mouth feel, but none. Great mouth feel, very smooth. Very nice.

Overall- I will have to get this again. Very very good beer. Great for those cold New England nights by the fire. Kudos to the brewers at Wormtown....

Norm from Wormtown Brewing Co.