Red Giant - Element Brewing Company

Red GiantRed Giant

Element Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: indiapaleale on 02-25-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Red Giant Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Had this at ACBF then grabbed a bottle at Julios on the way back to NY. Nice packaging. Paper over a plain caged and corked 750 into my Ithaca tulip.

A: Super deep brown color. Poured with a finger of slightly brownish head. A touch of lacing as well. The head has great retention. When you fill your glass it snakes every time though.

S: I remember saying all their beers have a secret oak technique on them. Quite malty and bready in the nose. Plenty of hops around to balance it out though. A touch of oak maybe. This is not an american red ale.

T: Quite hoppy. I remember this is not that big a beer. The darker matter? is 8% and that was their biggest beer. Light barleywine comes to mind.Sharp piney hops. Little bit of caramel. Really nice sweetness in the finish.

M: Really nice and smooth. It is super carbonated out of the bottle but not in the glass. Interesting.

D: I liked this beer. Something a little bit different. I think this was $10 for the bottle which is pricey but they are small. I enjoyed all of their offerings and this is worth seeking out.

aerozeppl, Aug 07, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

750 ml bottled version. I was all excited to try this new Dan Kramer brew! Fancy packaging - all that paper - cannnot be very "green". Anyhoo. This one pours out a cloudy brownish amber with decent carbonation and a good head. The aroma is slightly woody, but otherwise not that impressive. The flavor profile is very very bready - almost doughy. I let it warm hoping for something different, but it never came. This was a big flop in my book!

BogleHill, Aug 05, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

I didn't realize when I was drinking this at the Cambridge Common that Element is a Massachusetts brewery, which makes this beer all the more pleasant to review. Red Giant is probably the only beer I've had that actually looks polished and shiny, like a new pair of shoes, with a dense walnut color that appears rubyish around the edges. Loads of grapefruit and something along the lines of chocolate jimmies in the aroma, with edges of coffee. The body seemed strangely heated and taut, but eased after warming up a bit. A nice slam of malt up front in the taste, followed by chocolate and cherries; a tad sour but quite refreshing even at this ABV and density. A slight hint of booze rides along the long, hoppy tail, and leaves a warm, lingering glow of sour fruit afterwards.

This was exceptional. Looking forward to hunting down Element's other offerings.

gfreed, Jul 11, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml bottle purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Cool informative paper wrap, corked and caged.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed a 1" tan head over the slightly cloudy red brew. Frothy head lasts very nicely, with plentiful lacing. Aroma is delicate, sweet with oak notes. Taste starts sweet, a touch tart in the middle, with full bitterness to close. Lingering oak flavors and warmth. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, and drinkability is pretty good. Doesn't come together as well as I hoped, but I think it will grow on me.

ppoitras, Jun 27, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +26.1%

This is the best bottle conditioned beer ever! Rich red color, laced all the way. Earthy aroma, possibly EKG? bitterness balanced carmel malt notes. Very hazy, yeast did not settle but it is conditioned in the bottle after all. I have not seen this beer on tap, I think you can only get in in the 750ml bottles?

ComputerBeer, May 24, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a crimson red, nice creamy head, good lacing. Smells of light caramel malt, dark fruits, citrus hops, tart cherries, soft apple and rasberry notes, floral notes, mostly daisies. Taste is very similar, fruity esters dominate the light caramel sweetness with a good dose of citrus bitterness as it tails off. Touch of roastiness in the finish, slightly dry. Good moderate carbonation and creamy mouthfeel.

This is a terrific beer, i was blown away by how powerful the esters were in this beer without being too solvent like. Great body and loved the blast of hops and slightly roasty finish, a very unique beer, never had anything like this. Great offering from a brand new brewery, i'll make sure to make the long drive again to try their other beers. Highly recommend.

bum732, Apr 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Before I forget, this beer was finished and ready to drink the day before I bought it. Talk about fresh.
Here we go...
Pour - a dark red, mahogany color with some brilliant auburn colors shining throw with the light. The head is thick and bubbly, off-white in color and rather reluctant to fade into the abysmal depths of this brew.

Aroma - strong smells of caramel and molasses combine with fresh hops, grass, citrus and well steeped grains. The aroma of this beer is quite appealing and more than draws me in.

Taste - when I think red/amber ales I think easy to drink and pretty standard fare for those that aren't big beer drinkers. This however is something different. These are big flavors and quite bold in nature. Lots of caramel malt flavor comes through with some nice floral hops as well. Everything combines so well. Its juicy, its fruity, its spicy, its sweet and its tangy. So many flavors that mesh so well together. This is a beer that brewers spend a long time trying to achieve. Great stuff.

Overall - excellent beer. I absolutely love it and I've gone through almost half the growler without an ounce of effort. I'll be back soon to fill it up again.

Would I buy more of it? - no doubt about it. I love this beer and I love the fact that I've got a new brewery so close by that is making some amazing beers.

indiapaleale, Feb 25, 2010