Summer Pilsner Fusion - Element Brewing Company

Summer Pilsner FusionSummer Pilsner Fusion

Element Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: rudzud on 05-13-2011)
View: Beers (17) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Summer Pilsner Fusion Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
DelicateDelirium

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

09-04-2012 22:30:42 | More by DelicateDelirium
oldp0rt

Quebec (Canada)

08-25-2012 14:05:23 | More by oldp0rt
ComputerBeer

I like some of these new styles where ale type hops are added to a pilsner. The solely Hallertau Hersbrucker influence is also a great new approach.

I got a short glass of this in my local bar. The beer was a hazy, straw color. There was a couple fingers of very white head on top. The foam was very rocky.

The smell was kind of different. It was kind of flowery off the top. I got some sweetness, and the bouquet had fruitiness. I didn't expect this blend of smells.

The flavor was HUGEt. I would say that this would fit in on a warm spring day. The blend of flavors were very interesting. I feel like I get some white grape. It was almost like a soft kiwi. On the back end I got some strong malty goodness.

This is a very good beer. It was a different experience from any other beer I have had.

Serving type: on-tap Blind Pig

08-22-2012 15:57:48 | More by ComputerBeer
Jason

4.25/5  rDev +9%

07-11-2012 02:01:14 | More by Jason
Opportunivore

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a great summer beer. A Pilsner based on Oatmeal grain. A nice combination. Refreshing and smooth. Just a little more bitter than a hefeweizen. For a seasonal it really puts a lot of other beers to shame.

Pour is more like a Belgium Beer (say Duval). If you don't tilt you will get a lot of head. It settles down quickly and smells delightful.

Overall a very successful beer. To bad it is not sold in Texas.

07-02-2012 03:31:25 | More by Opportunivore
Ommy

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

SPF pours golden brown with a fairly large foamy head.
On the nose I get a sort of lemon and sweet smelling mix. A hint of banana also.

The taste is bitter but also sweet. There is almost a banana bread taste to it, with a bit of honey.

Overall this is an interesting beer, and quite tasty!

06-04-2012 23:20:53 | More by Ommy

PEIhop

11-23-2011 17:36:09 | More by PEIhop
jbertsch

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up a bottle from the brewery.

Enjoyed at cellar temp. About 55 degrees.

Poured a gold color with 1-finger white head.

Aroma was mild at first, as I couldn't get much of anything right away. Just some biscuity malts and very faint herbal hops. But as I drank it and made room in the glass, I was able to swirl more and it smelled better and better the closer to the end. Vanilla and oak came to mind, along with some heat.

It's flavor offers up woodsy notes. Oak is there, vanilla bean is there, as well as lemon and light hay. The warmer this got, the bolder the flavors became, and the better it drank. Little bit of a rum note to it near the end. I poured in all the yeasties as I like them. Provided just a little kick of bitterness and chewiness. Love it.

Overall, this was great. It went well with sausages and sweet potato fries. It takes like a pilsner, but with the flavor amped up, some heat, and some nice earthy, wood notes. The vanilla notes are nice, too.

Hope they make it again next summer, but I also hope they try something else because I don't think this brewery does anything wrong. It would be exciting to see what else they do.

11-15-2011 21:35:45 | More by jbertsch
WanderingFool

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

SPF pours an opaque honey yellow, with a thick, frothy head on top. The foam dissolves very slowly and leaves behind a coating of lace on the glass.

The aroma is light with notes of lemon citrus and pale malt. A touch of flowers is also detected.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is soft, creamy with mild carbonation. The flavor is nicely balanced between sweet pale malt and citrus hops. It begins with bread and pale malt before lemon citrus and flower notes (rose or lavender I'd guess) move in. The hop/flower flavors are not very strong. It finishes mildly bitter and dry. Once gone the bread and citrus notes linger on the palate.

This is a well balanced beer with a great mouthfeel. Easy to drink for nearly 9% abv.

10-23-2011 00:40:41 | More by WanderingFool
Nashvillain

Tennessee

2.95/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Shared by Thegordianknot, same bottle stats. Thank you sir.

Pours a ruddy, dark gold into the glass. I guess the color is borderline brown. 1/4" head sits on top like it owns the place.

Smell is pilsner and dark malts, a pretty unusual combination. I guess almost like a black lager. It's like a pilsner ale. There's some fruit on the nose, crisp but dark.

Taste is odd. Don't really know what's going on here. It's pils-like but at the same time creamy (oatmeal) and dark-ish. Finish is metallic, like licking a penny. Not a fan. Mouthfeel is decent but doesn't seem to fit. One of the more confusing beers I've had in my day.

09-03-2011 05:27:17 | More by Nashvillain
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Many thanks to ActonBrewer for this! Bottle 574 of 612... Bottled on 6.9.11. Poured from 750 into globe tulip...

A- Pours a deep goldenrod color. Giant foamy, light, fluffy, airy, bubbly head. Sporadic lacing.

S- Definitely has that grainy pilsener aroma. Mixed with spicy grassy hops and I'm salivating already. Slight alcohol warmth.

T/M- Very different. Malty, grainy, sweet. Bitterness and hop flavor is an afterthought. Alcohol comes through more than I wish it would. Faintly get the smooth feel from the oatmeal, but no real flavor presence. Full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- So different I think I have to like it, right? Original concept for sure. I commend the effort, but not sure I would drink this again. Alcohol is a bit too forward, and everything else leaves me wanting... Very glad I got to try, thats for damn sure!

09-01-2011 13:26:27 | More by TheGordianKnot
glid02

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle shared by Mark – much obliged!

Pours a hazy golden color with a white head that leaves solid lacing.

Smells of crisp pilsner malts with good amounts of light citrus and earthy hops and light hints of oats. Also present are mild amounts of floral hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth pilsner malts up front are joined quickly by light herbal and citrus hops. Midway through heavier earthy hops come into before mild oat flavors sweeten things up a bit, fading into a mildly bitter ending. Mouthfeel is very good, with a nice thickness and grainy carbonation.

Overall this was a really interesting beer, the thickness was somewhat expected but still foreign, even in an imperial pilsner. Worth a shot.

08-25-2011 16:33:05 | More by glid02
ppoitras

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

750ml bottle purchased at Atkins Farm, Hadley, MA. Cool informative paper wrap, corked and caged.

Poured into a glass stein, formed a 2 1/2" eggshell head over the slightly cloudy golden amber brew. Pillowy head holds height for awhile, bubbles popping balanced by bubbles generated, with chunky sticky lace. Aroma is lemony and crisp, with an undercurrent of sweetness.

Taste begins sweet and earthy, spicy and citrus in the middle, with a lightly crisp close. Mouthfeel is soft over the tongue and smooth, and drinkability is very nice. Not as Sazz-heavy as I would expect from a Double Pils, but just an enjoyable brew.

08-19-2011 23:55:25 | More by ppoitras
SFLpunk

Vermont

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Picked up at Liquors 44 in Northampton, MA. Bottled 4/12/2011. 750mL brown glass cork & caged and paper wrapped. Bottle #247 of 653.

Pours a hazy medium amber/golden with thin, fluffy white head. Nose is really interesting and hard to pin down. Smells really sweet and floral. Can't quite think of it...maybe orange blossom honey, or some type of citrus candy...hmmm. Keeps me coming back for another whiff. Lavender?...

Palate is both full and rich while being clean and bitter. The carbonation is really fluffy and there's a nice bitterness there too on the finish that keep the large mouthfeel moving along. Flavors of pale malt, wheat, white flowers, lavender, preserved lemon, orange blossom honey, and on and on and on...

Wow. There is a lot going on in this beer. Perhaps one of the most complex and interesting beers I've had in a long time. Unique and delicious, I can't wait to try the other 4 Elements that I picked up. (Thanks to DarthKostrizer for bringing these guys to my attention!)

08-16-2011 04:57:27 | More by SFLpunk
steve8robin

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I love how Element lives outside of style guidelines. This philosophy helps produce some of the most interesting beers around. When I saw "Oatmeal Pilsner", I had to see what this was all about. 750ml bottle, bottled on April 12, 2011, bottle 455 of 653...

A: A hazy super golden color with a humongous 2+ inch off white head that fades at a decent pace but never completely disappears. Very good.

S: I get a very malty / grainy scent upfront with a mild citrus in the middle. A very mild oatmeal with a mild very light hop. Decent.

T: Wow, very VERY smooth tasting for the high ABV. You cannot even taste the alcohol. A medium bitterness upfront blended with some nice grainy malts. Some nice oatmeal in the middle with more hop bitterness on the backend. Good.

M: Medium body with a very good carbonation. A nice bitter and creamy finish. Good.

O: All in all, this is a very solid beer. This is a beer that will quench your thirst like a pilsner, but give you a buzz like a barley wine without any bit of cloying. Definitely try if you a like a good light beer that still has a good kick for you. Good job to Element!

08-07-2011 00:35:31 | More by steve8robin
rudzud

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Been waiting for this one for a while. Just when I'd all but given up on Element's seasonal releases, this one reminds me of why I enjoy Element's staple brews. Picked up at Julio's and immediately drank, definately a few degrees warmer than Element suggests (they reccomend 45degrees). Its worth noting that this cork actually came off like a normal cork should...easily.

"Summer Pilsner Fusion. 'Oatmeal Pilsner' combines the smoothness of an oatmeal stout and the pale golden color of a German Pilsner. An enormous helping of Nobel hops impart aromas of a fresh cut field whilst English oats and our house yeast give this ale a surprisingly rish finish". Bottled on April 12, 2011; bottle number 313/653

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a wonderful almost crystal clear pour with a nice, fluffy slightly more than two finger head that receeds to a nice creamy blanket leaving hardly any side lacing.

S - Getting some nice slightly sweet malty backbone with a lil bit of spice and a nice alcohol nose, which I expect due to the ABV. I do get a little oat on the nose but, unfortunately, I only get the slightest hint of grassy fields. Its above average on the nose, but not by much.

T - Now we're talking. Some really nice sweet up front following by that light oat flavour and then you're hit with the hops. Slightly spicey, slightly grassy yet nicely bitter this is definately a pilsner. Element's house yeast adds that oh-so-element kick at the end too.

M - I can't believe I'm writing this about a limited Element but surprisingly well carbonated. Every other limited released had been so low carbonated and flat feeling this actually is nicely carbonated but smooth, having a good crisp, dry hop, refreshing finish to it.

O - This is probably the only limited release Element has done that I felt was actually worth the money I spent on the bottle. While it is still very steep ($17.99) atleast its a really good offering. I like the outside of the box combination here, the oats really works well with the pilsner qualities. While I wouldn't buy it again (due to the cost) I can actually say I'm glad I spent the money on this.

05-13-2011 20:57:20 | More by rudzud