Microbrew Invitational

Added by wisrarebeer on 10-24-2010

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 8
4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a seriously amazing beer. Malty and sweet if you like that sort of thing, and I do. What sets it apart, and I would suspect challenges it's style designation, is the smokiness. But I could care less. The Vintage makes exceptional beers, but this was the most interesting mutation of Bavarian styles I have had, and frankly ranks among my favorites. Wow!

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

A - A deep hazy brown body with a nice medium brown colored head. Very good looking beverage.

S - The aroma is very unique. Its a deep, smokey, fish scent. I give it credit.

T - The flavor of this beer is something to savor. It has a smokey mesquite and slight caramel tastes. This is a tasty and unique brew.

M - Smooth and sticky in a weizenbock is an interesting combination of textures.

~ I will definitely recommend this beer to my friends. I want more and I will seek this beer out again.

3.12/5  rDev -14.3%

Alpentraum - Smoked Weizenbock
A strong dark wheat ale, which draws from the traditions of both north and south Bavaria. Inspired by the south German bock-strength wheat beers, Alpentraum was brewed with plenty of crystal, Munich and dark malts for a hearty and rich flavor. In the northern part of Bavaria, the city of Bamberg is famous for its smoked malt, and especially its smoked beers. We included a hefty portion beechwood-smoked malt to give this Weizenbock a complex and unmistakeable character.
Our brewmaster once experienced a beer like this while on vacation in Bamberg, Germany and has dreamed about brewing something like it ever since!

1.068 13 IBUs 7.3 ABV

A: nice, darker brown/rosey color with slight haziness
S: mild, banana, cloves, sweet
T: sweeter malt weizenbock, smoked malt not present, well-made but somewhat watery
M: good, needed more carbonation
D: lower rating due to overly sweet and cloying

Alpentraum Weizenbock from Vintage Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.