Old Grogham Imperial IPA - Natian Brewery

Old Grogham Imperial IPAOld Grogham Imperial IPA

good

Natian Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Originally a winter seasonal.

(Beer added by: ccrida on 01-20-2012)
View: Beers (12) |  Events

lccrunchy

11-28-2013 18:16:12 | More by lccrunchy
Spikester

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

More than half the glass was light tan head from the initial pour. Second pour was almost as lively and the head has real staying power. Plentiful lacing.
Smell is rum dank hops some light malt.
Taste was initially all spicey rum. Following the initial rum and booziness it settles into more bitter hops with a good amount of caramel malts.
Mouthfeel is a bit thin for the style more IPA than Impy.
Overall an interesting if somewhat peculiar beer. And with two thirds of the glass emptied there is still a good half inch of head! Final pour yields another three fingers of head. It took three pours to drink this pint. Must be a record of some kind. Would I recommend this? Not for everyone. For the wanting something different folks? Yes.

11-26-2013 05:14:01 | More by Spikester
BigJYoungblood

10-30-2013 04:00:52 | More by BigJYoungblood
RblWthACoz

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Not a good start with this beer. Popped the can and it gushed. Had been sitting in my fridge for about a week and a half. This gives a massive head in my beer that is going nowhere. Flavor is decent. A pleasant enough hop influence. I do get a very mild infection on this one. Thankfully, I am trying this sooner rather than later. An okay beer.

10-14-2013 02:57:21 | More by RblWthACoz

07-15-2013 14:11:35 | More by lilsmizzul1225
flagmantho

Washington

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Poured from 16oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich orange hue with a moderate haze and a light effervescence. Head is two thick fingers of light tan foam with a bit of an orange cast. There's good head retention and a nice lacing on the glass. Attractive!

Smell: sweet and slightly oxidized malt aroma with some cidery notes. Hops are piquant with a piney, citrusy character. Not bad, but not terribly clean.

Taste: the taste is exactly what I'd expect from the aroma. Somewhat oxidized malt, dusty hops with plenty of citrusy bite, and a slightly acidic jolt of bitterness. Serviceable, but run-of-the-mill.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a good level of carbonation and a pretty good creaminess, especially for the style.

Overall: I don't love this beer, but it's not objectively bad. Its flavor profile is simply not for me.

07-05-2013 21:26:34 | More by flagmantho
woodychandler

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%

I am CANfounded by this one! I know that msubulldog25 sent me some CANs as I passed one onto my local, in-person trader, tone77 but I scored this CAN at the Friendly Greek a few days ago. Did a review disappear into the ether? Has The CANQuest (TM) finally addled my mind to the point that I CANnot keep track? I dunno, but it is just a wee tad disCANcerting!

From the CAN: "Pint In A C[AN]"; "Imperial India Pale Ale"; "Old Grogham [-] Named in honor of the 18th Century British Vice Admiral whom wisely joined spiced rum and beer during long voyages to keep his sailors healthy and hydrated."; "na-tian [ney-sheh n] - Noun 1. We Brew Beer. That's About As Definitive As It Needs To Get".

As a retired US Navy sailor, this is the kind of beer that speaks to me. I would LOVE to get underway again and to do so under sail as opposed to engine & screw(s) would be even better! Cheers to VADM Grogham for having the sense to realize that we sailors are on the water and do not necessarily want more of it. I remember LCDR DeGeorge chastising me for not drinking enough H2O while on watch on Mount 501 during Gulf War I and being very angry when I asked for advance ration of beer in lieu of water. I could only try ... Below decks M/Fers ... Allow me to reiterate - Cheers to VADM Grogham!

A good bit of offgassing occurred during the Crack and I was initially CANcerned about a potential gusher, having experienced such events previously, but it did not come to fruition. Instead, the Glug o' the 'Grog (ha, beat that, you scoffers!) did create the disaster that I had hoped to avoid. This was one carbonated beer and I could not control its creation of head! I had beer and foam exploding everywhere like the climax (ahem!) of a gang bang on an adult website. Once things settled, I had two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny foam like the top of a chocolate meringue pie and even better was its staying power. I signed my name with my finger in it as it slowly fell. Take that, Guinness, with your shamrock head! It may have been Father's Day, but I heard my Mom-Za, "Woody, quit playing with your beer!" Aw, Ma, it just cried out for my finger! Color was a hazy deep-amber and the nose was very spicy. The hops and the alcohol were involved in an interplay that caused it to have a raw, eye-watering intensity of pine, black pepper, alcohol heat, yeasty mustiness and light caramel. Literally eye-watering as I teared up and then sneezed. HO! I may need a lie-down following this little number. By the time that I finally got the remainder of the CAN into the glass, I estimate that I lost just under four (4) fluid ounces in the initial debacle. Mouthfeel had an initial heat that filled my sinuses and refused to die down. It was also a little on the watery side and once I finally caught my breath, I felt as though I had been gargling with minty mouthwash. Speaking of mint, I have some growing wild in my backyard. Okay, a short break later, it was still pretty intense in its flavor and the mouthfeel still seemed loose, swimming on my tongue, rather than embracing it. Finish was also quite intense between the multitude of flavors, the heat and the extreme dryness. It was ironic that I was now ready for some water. Phew! What would VADM Grogham think of this beer? He would probably order me into the crow's nest to get myself together.

06-16-2013 20:04:58 | More by woodychandler
RonfromJersey

2.73/5  rDev -23.7%

$3.25 tall boy can from Abe's.

Hazy dull amber body, topped a monstrously billowing off-white head. Leaves good stretchy lace.

Earthy hop aroma with a smidgen of background citrus.

Super sweet malt base gives way to a pile of pine and buckets of bitter.

Medium smooth mouthfeel.

A rather unexceptional PA debut.

06-06-2013 03:51:47 | More by RonfromJersey

bluckbeyes

03-16-2013 06:02:51 | More by bluckbeyes
tone77

3.55/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another beer from a big box courtesy of woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a pretty mahagony color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very hoppy. Taste is hoppy and bitter up front, some malts kicking in at the finish. Alcohol is also present. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

02-09-2013 18:33:55 | More by tone77
Wetpaperbag

Washington

2.86/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Darker amber color, good lacing typical of an IPA.

S- Smells good, the hops are very pinesol smelling.

T- Not that good. The hops are bitter in a not so balanced way. There are bitter beers that still have their bitterness but taste good. This is bitter and leaves a funky gnarly aftertaste. The malt background tastes like a CDA or a brown ale.

M- Nice and thick, which I like for a IPA.

O- Not digging this one. I'm glad it was only 2.99 for the can.

01-28-2013 03:16:33 | More by Wetpaperbag
Mebuzzard

Colorado

A solid beer from Natian. This is a fairly big beer with the abv feeling as it's listed.

Pours a caramel looking, clear body. Head is thick and off white with some center mass rockiness. Lacing is sticky

Aroma of pine, wood, citrus rind and caramel hides the booze. Just smells resin-y

And the resin is in the taste as well, but not overblown. Pine and oak come through, with some hints of green grass. The citrus is sharp without much of the juiciness. Nice backbone on the malt as the sweetness gives the booze something to distract it.

Powerful and bitey. Not a total tongue scraper, but hop heads will enjoy this one

12-07-2012 05:27:36 | More by Mebuzzard
HappyPappy2X

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Foamed out upon opening can. High carbonation. Poured straight into middle of Hefeweisen glass. Toffee colored head stayed intact for several minutes.
Color is tan, dark for an IIPA. Hazy, unfiltered quality.

S: A hop bouquet. Fresh, resiny nose jumps out. Floral.

T: Malt/hop balance; less hop forward than aroma suggested. Phenols. Medicinal? Band-aid? Ends with roasted malt.

M: Light for style. Slight maltose-like coating in mouth. High carbonation.

Overall:
A gorgeous hops nose I relished for ten minutes before sipping. A smart move seeing as how the taste was somewhat disappointing. Malt/hops balance helps with up-front drinkability, but the first hint of phenols sends the beer crashing. Band-aid or antiseptic is pronounced, esp. in belch. It mostly dissipates by the time the roasted caramel malt flavors end the taste. An interesting surprise, but falls short of rescuing the beer.

12-02-2012 05:27:19 | More by HappyPappy2X
Reidrover

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

16 oz can from "lifesource" S.Salem. $2.99 titled simply Old Grogham IIPA" now. Darker IIPA than usual..dark amber with a substantial creamy ,thick off white head. Nice hoppy..resiny type aromas..but also great toffee,bready malts Taste is good but very balanced for an IIPA..there is great hopping but the caramel ,smooth malt is massive, getting some slight smokeyness and even pepper. Malts even dominating. Good mouthfeel thick and luxurious. Nice beer and i enjoyed it as such but more a Strong Ale then an IIPA

09-03-2012 22:00:16 | More by Reidrover
muchloveforhops3

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

08-31-2012 18:32:27 | More by muchloveforhops3
JTK713

3.4/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at hawthorne hophouse in portland, OR. 12 oz tulip, Pours dark IIPA style, caramel color and flavors. Hops are strong throughout, rum/wood adds depth and richness, but not overwhelming. I think its year round, but aimed for winter time. Pretty darn good!

08-16-2012 22:49:17 | More by JTK713