Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)
Reviews by Jparker37:
4.11/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Medium sized cap of tan head. Color is brown but has great clarity and a beautiful red glow when held to light. Adequate amount of lacing.

S - Popping bright unripe raspberries. Muddled chocolate malt. Slight hint of funk. Mild grassiness. Hinting some vinegar.

T - Zing! Wow that first sip made me pucker. Extremely tart upfront. Once I adjust, I find those underrippend raspberry flavors. Got some sweetness midway which cleans up near the end giving a crispness to it. The later half is where there is a slight window for other flavors to come through. I get some faint caramel malt and grassy hops. Leaves my mouth with a dry feel but tons of raspberry flavor when I even lick my lips.

M - Tart, medium-light body, medium carbonation, semi-dry.

O - Nice looking beer with a complex nose. I knew there would be a bit of sourness to this but the aroma left me vulnerable to the taste onslaught. After I finish my sip I can still pucker up simply from licking my lips. Fun beer and though I love my sours, this was reaching my threshold.

Jparker37, May 14, 2013
3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

On tap at Rattle 'N' Hum. A very good sour, dark reddish body with no head. Simplistic,simply very sour cherry .A little vinegar balanced by some malt. Medium mouthfeel, though some fruitness as if the skins of the cherry there. Some lace dots. I cannot pass up this style.Suitably carbonated.

Sammy, Mar 06, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -10.1%

On tap at Sessions in Greensboro.Poured into a tulip glass a deep ruddy brown mixed with a cherry color with a fluufy off white head atop.Deep sour cherry and dry sherry notes in the nose,a little intimidating for a non-sour lover like me.Sherry-like woody flavors mixed with sour cherries on the palate,when I say sour I mean sour like sherry vinegar and tart cherries.IT's a great beer for what it is,Iam not a huge fan of the style but I know it fits the bill very well.

oberon, May 06, 2012

braugon, May 12, 2014

beerhunter13, Mar 14, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up a four-pack of this at a local liquor store; three batches later and Batch 01 is still sitting there on the shelf. The beer pours a muddled and fairly deep shade of brown, looking more like a dense, dark red or ruby color when held to the light. From a distance, the beer could fool you for an Oud Bruin, but it is indeed a Flanders Red. The cap is a fast growing, big-bubbled, soapy formation that sinks immediately a skin, and leaves some nice lacing in the process.

The aroma is fantastic; right on par for the style, only taking it up another notch in the complexity. Sour and rich black cherries, grape skins, wet oak, heavy vinegar, tart lemon, and the lightest inclusion of vanilla and cocoa. Extremely vinous, acidic, and tart - my nostrils are flaring at the thought of how sour this is going to be. The layered aspect of the aromatic profile is wonderful.

Balsamic vinegar notes are also abound on the nose, though not as powerful and forward as in something like Rodenbach Grand Cru. Another heap of vinous oak, cherries, and apples round out the edges and have me sitting there in a daze. Just from the aroma, I know this beer is going to taste wonderful, and I couldn't be more excited to bring it to my face.

And, wow! I'm immediately taken back as a tsunami of sour cherries, vinegar, grapes, oak, lactic acid, and vanilla washes over my taste buds and instantaneously sets off the alarm in my saliva glands. Puckering isn't a strong enough word to describe the tartness of this beer - it surely is a doozy. The fruits are extremely vibrant and just pop out with each and every sip.

The authentic, layered labyrinth of flavors from the aroma translates nicely on the palate; the cherry sourness, grape and wine vinous notes, acetic and lactic acid, mild vanilla and cocoa undertones, and the dry oak and barrel profiles all work together to form a complete nirvana for the senses. Very harmonious in nature, and executed elegantly. The body is thin-medium with high carbonation; slick, oily, and wet on the palate, despite the dry finish.

Seriously awesome beer, and I can't believe you can find this stuff on the shelves regularly. Well... at least whenever they release a new batch. I believe this is aged for about 18 months in oak barrels, and you can definitely tell. Super complex, tart, dry, layered; completely drinkable despite the heavy acidity and sharpness it provides the mouth. Top notch and highly recommended.

tectactoe, Jun 05, 2013

CavemanRamblin, Jul 21, 2014

Zakk, Aug 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Schlais, Jul 26, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +12.4%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a basic tulip glass.

I've had the beer several times on tap and enjoyed it, it wasn't until bottles came to Chicago that I really thought how awesome this beer is.

It pours a deep crimson/ruby with a light ivory head and low amount of lacing. Tiny bubbles rest on the surface.

The aroma is nearly perfect, it strikes a balance between sweet cherry aromas and the nose tingling acid with just a little caramelized sugar.

The flavor is just perfect. It's everything I'm looking for in a Flanders Red. It's just got bit of candy sugar sweetness up front. Then the tart mouth puckering acid develops. It's not nearly as acidic as a good lambic but it's also not a straight lacto sour either. It really toes the delicate line between complimentary vinegar flavor and just pour it on a salad. I just love it. Tart cherry flavors all over and it finishes with a nice sour patch kid thing.

The carb is just right, gentle and present but not too high as to increase the harsh flavors. The aftertaste consist soley of lingering acid, just like the aftertaste of a sour candy.

To keep it short this is probably the best Flanders Red I've ever had, Oude Tart can give it a good run for it's money though. Flanders is my favorite style as well so I've tasted a few in my life. It's just outstanding and only better that's it now widely available year round and only $22 per 4 pack.

weatherdog, Feb 21, 2012

warnerry, Jun 09, 2013

Callmecoon, Apr 18, 2013

Doomcifer, Aug 10, 2014

BillKuhnel, May 05, 2014
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.