Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Reviews: 448 | Hads: 2,608

Had this on tap in a goblet at The Birch in Norfolk VA. It pours a dark red with a white head that dissipates into great lacing.

Smell is dark fruit with a little funk and a hint of vinegar.

Taste is tart and sour, one of the sourest Flanders I have ever had. But it was great! Taste of sour cherries and grapes with a slight funk and vinegar finish. Not so much sweet as sour.

Good smooth mouth feel with an ending that makes you pucker.

This is a very balanced Flemish red, one of the best I have ever had. Great drinkability and flavor left me craving more. A great find if you can get it!

Look: Pours a ruby red color with a big head.
Smell: Lots of fruit here. Raspberry, cherry, oak.
Taste: Follows the smell. Very bright and fruity, with oaky balance. Sweet and very tart.
Feel: Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.
Overall: One of my favorite sours!

L: Pours a beautiful dark red with thin white head. Lots of carbonation keep it going.

S: Great sour notes! Strong.

T: Super sour! Pricks the taste buds right up. I can almost draw a line where my palate picks up the sour! Lots of yeasty barnyard funk. This one will scare away the faint of heart, but for those looking for something different, it will amaze. Don't feel I can taste the alcohol.

F: Goes from dry to drier. Light carbonation that's hidden in the background.

O: A great sour beer with everything I want - sour and funk, beautiful color, clarity, and head. World. Class. Happy I found this one.

Absolutely delicious, perfect flanders/flemish ale. I never thought something would come close to matching Consecration (my all-time #1), but this is right there. What an amazing example of the style.

Dark ruby red pour, thick pillowy head that dissipates in to excellent lacing. Great carbonation throughout the drink. The smell is sour and tart, and lets you know it's going to be delicious. Taste is sour, tart, finishes very dry. Makes your mouth pucker and pucker. Lots of funk with sour cherry/apple notes. Vanilla comes in a bit from the oak barrels.

Overall, I find no fault with this beer. I could drink it and drink it. Low ABV as well, making this an extremely sessionable beer. If you like sours get this now.

This is the sour that got me hooked on sours. Deliciously tart and acetic, complex but not much funk. Let it warm up a bit and get all the great flavors of cherry, nutty, oaky, etc. I only wish it wasn't so expensive!

4.98/5  rDev +16.1%

On tap poured into a tulip glass at barley's brewhaus in overland park, ks. Halfway on my 20 mile bike ride i needed some refreshment. This is not only one of the best Flanders Red, it is one of the best beers I've had. Tartly sour and refreshing. Perfect for a bike break.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

I'm fairly new to the sour beers and I have to say I'm a big fan. From my understanding this is a Flanders Red Ale and it definitely looks the part. Once poured it has a small head but releases enough aroma to smell the sour notes.

First taste has a nice sour note but not too much to make your mouth pucker. After that it has a nice body and overall great cherry like flavor. Very smooth and very easy to drink.

If you're a fan of sours and have never tried this one do not pass it up. You won't be disappointed at all. At $6 for an 11.2 oz bottle in my area it's not too expensive but I could definitely could go broke drinking this beer. However if you're not a fan of sours I would steer clear of this one because it has a lot of sour notes to it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow what a wonderful sour!
Recently learned more about sour beers after a California vacation and sampling some RRs and the like. Had this beer on tap at the Blind Tiger in NYC in a little tulip glass. Pours a dark ruby red, great whif of sourness that'll nock your socks off. First sip, you're hit with the wonderful sweet and sour combination, definitely taste the cherry as well. Can smell vinegar. For anyone who has never had a sour or wants to explore them, this is a great one to try first!

4.88/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a dark garnet color with a a light thin head sitting atop. The taste on this one is incredible it is complex and strong with a bold and refreshing tartness. The mouthfeel is one of the coolest things about this beer. It has a high acidity level with strips the palate and the leaves a tannic chewiness in its wake. A simply stunning example of the the style if you enjoy sours I can't imagine anyone not liking this one.

4.87/5  rDev +13.5%

From bottle, batch no. 2 on the back.

Pretty red color with a nice head that sticks around

Smells sooo good, so very sour, lots of vinegar and red fruits

tastes amazing, like it smells, but double

Mouthfeel is perfect to me for a sour, I'd be tasting it on my teeth the next morning if i didn't brush

This is a fantastic sour to me, probably the best I've ever had, but I've not had the chance to have any RR or that crazy stuff people go nuts on here for, whats it called, candle poon? I don't know. This stuff is amazing to me. I'd drink it every day if I could.

4.87/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Pours a dark cherry brown with some ruby highlights. A small head that clings to the glass, but dissapates quickly.

S - I love the tart cherries, oak wood, sour apple, earthy undertones, and some vinegar cider. The smell is very pungent and it hits hard on the nostrils.

T - The taste buds are hit with an immediate surge of sourness and then are followed by tart cherries, sour apples and a dark wood flavor. The sourness is sharp at first but as the beer warms up a sweeter side starts to come through.

M - Medium carbonation with a sticky sour note that leaves a lasting impression in the mouth.

O - I think hands down this is one of my favorite sours that I can easily get my hands on. The balance is executed well and it brings a lot to the table with its bold flavors.

4.86/5  rDev +13.3%

a: clear beautiful dark red color

s: smell of wonderful flanders red funk. you know its gonna taste good simply by its smell

t: wow. might be too acidic for some, but its prefect for me. ph tested at around 3.2.

m: just right for the style

o: by far my favorite flanders red. If you are the kind that likes the more extreme sours... this is for you.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a basic tulip glass.

I've had the beer several times on tap and enjoyed it, it wasn't until bottles came to Chicago that I really thought how awesome this beer is.

It pours a deep crimson/ruby with a light ivory head and low amount of lacing. Tiny bubbles rest on the surface.

The aroma is nearly perfect, it strikes a balance between sweet cherry aromas and the nose tingling acid with just a little caramelized sugar.

The flavor is just perfect. It's everything I'm looking for in a Flanders Red. It's just got bit of candy sugar sweetness up front. Then the tart mouth puckering acid develops. It's not nearly as acidic as a good lambic but it's also not a straight lacto sour either. It really toes the delicate line between complimentary vinegar flavor and just pour it on a salad. I just love it. Tart cherry flavors all over and it finishes with a nice sour patch kid thing.

The carb is just right, gentle and present but not too high as to increase the harsh flavors. The aftertaste consist soley of lingering acid, just like the aftertaste of a sour candy.

To keep it short this is probably the best Flanders Red I've ever had, Oude Tart can give it a good run for it's money though. Flanders is my favorite style as well so I've tasted a few in my life. It's just outstanding and only better that's it now widely available year round and only $22 per 4 pack.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Next to the magnificent reds from Rodenbach, this is probably my favorite Flemish Red (although Duchesse de Bourgogne by Verhaeghe comes close). I have been fortunate to have it on tap numerous times at the hidden gem, The Anchor, in Wichita, KS (of all places). Typical of the style in most respects, although a bite more tart and slightly more bitter (and less sweet) than others. Dangerously refreshing and delicious, one could drink liters of this if not careful.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

A -- A clear garnet brown brew that pours to a one finger off white head and settles to a thin froth, leaving little lacing.

S --Pungent tones of sour cherry, tart apple, and pronounced acid are dominating.

T --Sharp acid and cherry, juicy apple and extracted grape-like tannin flavors which are then balanced on the back by a nice mellow oak and a hint of vanilla. Very rich and flavorful.

M -- Moderate body and carbonation, with a tannic grip on the tongue that really sticks and makes the beer slightly resinous.

D -- A must try for any self confessed sour fanatic, and a fantastic representation of the style. Amazing.

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

Amazing sour beer. Sour sweet sour. Thin mouth feel. The flavor is strong enough to clean your palate when eating any food even rich meals but dont try another beer after it. Numbs your taste buds after a while. Awesome beer!! My new go to Sour Beer.

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, think melted cherry sour patch kids. Great balance between tartness and drinkability.
Pours deep beet red, no lacing and the smell allows you to anticipate the sourness. Your taste buds will be thrown off but in a great way. Great value, will be purchasing more.

4.84/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Murky reddish brown

Nose: Pungent over-ripe apple, sour cherry, strawberry, vanilla, and honey, some farm-yard funk. Very vinous.

Taste: Complex and delicious. Juicy apple, sour cherry, sweet honey, oaky vanilla, a bit of hay bale funk. Could identify dozens of flavors in here. Reminiscent of nice Pinot Noir, but more complex and bold.

Mouthfeel: perfectly creamy and carbonated.

One of the most complex, intriguing, and delicious beers I've had. Truly something you could sip on for hours and continuously discover new things. A favorite for sure.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Purchased 02/09/12 at Binny's in Downers Grove,IL for $21.99. Batch 01.

A- Pours deep cherry red below a very hissy 2 finger enamel white head, which slowly settles into a pleasant film. I suppose the nose suggests that it should look a bit stickier in the lacing, but then again most Flanders Reds I've tried are too dry to leave really beautiful lacing. Nonetheless, this particular example does leave some reasonable legs. Very good considering the style.

S- Robust nose of tart cherries, apple cider vinegar, light caramel, and lemon zest. I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap, and a nicely bowled glass lets it open up very nicely. A bit of musty oak comes out upon sitting, which counters the tart sweetness in the nose nicely.

T- The beer immediately hits the palate with acetic notes of vinegar, followed by lush notes of blackberries, tart cherry, and more of that musty oak resonance to keep the sharpness of the other flavors in check. This is an absolute gobsmacker, but moves across the palate with grace. Finishes dry, but a lingering tartness remains for several moments, making the mouth water.

M- A tongue-puckering tartness is present for much of the sip, but it avoids unpleasantness at the hand of the myriad other flavors in play. This acidity also fades from the palate with reasonable pace, in as much that it won't get in the way of whatever food one might pair it with. Juiciness is derived from the sour notes, and provides good counterpoint to the otherwise dry mouthfeel and fine effervescence. Absolutely delicious.

O- Edging out Monk's Cafe as my favorite Flanders Red, Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge exemplifies the ideal balance in sours of this nature. It's really a treat to have them finally brought around here, and even one beer into the 4 pack, I feel that I got my money's worth out of the somewhat steep price tag.

4.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Freshly tapped keg, poured into a Jacobins snifter, different logo than the one on the new tap handle. (Might need to hold onto this collector's item?)

Deep garnet hue, dusky crimson, with a slim, slightly pinkish head, like puree of raspberry.

Aromatics leap out of the glass and run around the room. Sweet and sour dance around each other in kind of tart tarantella, raspberry, sour cherry, and grape and assorted other dark stone fruit mix it with the intoxicating otherworldly Belgian yeast funk. Little sweet, little sour, little funk, little fruit.

Taste: Here it boards the palate with pistols blazing, barrels are spilled over in a terrific melee, invaders pounce on the taste buds with ferocity. Fruit and bold tart flavors make their mark and spread deliciousness and refreshment far and wide, up and down, in and out. Medium body, adequate malt, wondrous oak effect, fantastic belgian flavor.

I could empty the dictionary in further attempts to outline the exact over-pouring of tastes encounter and experience felt upon the senses, but let us make it simple, shall we?
Sharp. Tart. Zesty. Fresh. Inviting. Refreshing. Vibrant. Puckering. Uninhibited. Un-compromised. Full expression of the Flanders Red style. Impossible to find a flaw.

Fruit flavor lingers long on the palate, finish is near interminable. Won't quit, hangs hard in the mouth, but you don't want it to leave. The berries are never gone, tartness never flags. If you can't get it sour enough, here's your beer.

This is a satisfying Red indeed, one that begs more and more consumption, if your pocketbook is fat enough.
Could be wilder, wickeder, but then it wouldn't be this. And this is fine, fine stuff.
I'm on snifter #2 as we type. This stuff is truly irresistible.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Mahogany red-brown. Though is says "rouge" it has to be just the right light to get the redness. Minimal to moderate lacing in a round Duvel goblet.

S: Balsamic, oakey, with sweet cherry undertones, but not the overcooked cherries you get in most lambics.

T: Sweet malt vinegar with minimal hop in the finish. The tartest sour I think I have ever found. Delicious.

M: Complex woody sour with a sweet and astringent finish. Cleansing.

Overall: by far my favorite sour and probably my favorite Third Beer whenever I can find it on tap. Get a little tipsy with something else, then sip slowly and enjoy.

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow, can't believe I've missed out on this one for so long.

Pours a deep reddish/purplish brown with a nice two fingers of head.

Smell is of lactic sourness, oak, and red fruits.

Taste is brilliant. Strong sourness, very ripe cherries, and oak. Strong sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is great. Strong acid but very, very smooth.

Overall, I love this beer. One went down way to quickly, I'd love to drink a couple of these at a time.

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%

I had this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. It was served in a brandy snifter filled to the halfway point, so maybe 10oz worth of beer.

Nice garnet red color with a 1-finger pinkish head that lasted awhile and left decent lacing.

The beer smelled like one of those sweet & sour fruit roll-ups made with a combination of sweet raspberries and sour cherries.

This stuff is sweet, sour, puckering, and delicious. Some red wine grape flavors infuse their way into the sweet raspberry and sour cherry flavors. Then add some additional malt for more sweetness, but balance that out with a hefty dose of that funky Belgian yeast. Not much hop presence. I think they use the tartness and sourness to balance all the sweetness here rather than adding any bitterness. A slight woodiness also works to keep it from being overly sweet.

If you're thinking this might be thick and syrupy, it's not. They found a way to keep it on the thin and refreshing side. Lots of puckering sourness with only moderate carbonation.

This is a delicious Flanders Red that I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing keeping me from having another is its high price tag. At $8/glass I have to consume it as a once in awhile treat rather than an everyday guzzler.

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sour at the front end with fruit, mainly cherries, on the back end. Funk is mild. Pleasant sour no doubt. Malts, fruitiness, oak and similar to Surly Pentagram, but lighter. Not to forget to mention the best taste of all - TART, very nice!

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Dark burgundy, nice head with a vigorous pour that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Very lactic, tart cherries, and leathery notes.

T: Amazing. Tart cherries, leather, tart, and sweet. very well balanced.

M: Coats the tongue, the tartness induce salivation which is good.

O: Surprisingly good. I am impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that loves tart wild ales.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.