Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Reviews: 441 | Hads: 2,567
4.8/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Mahogany red-brown. Though is says "rouge" it has to be just the right light to get the redness. Minimal to moderate lacing in a round Duvel goblet.

S: Balsamic, oakey, with sweet cherry undertones, but not the overcooked cherries you get in most lambics.

T: Sweet malt vinegar with minimal hop in the finish. The tartest sour I think I have ever found. Delicious.

M: Complex woody sour with a sweet and astringent finish. Cleansing.

Overall: by far my favorite sour and probably my favorite Third Beer whenever I can find it on tap. Get a little tipsy with something else, then sip slowly and enjoy. (607 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.9%

Wow, can't believe I've missed out on this one for so long.

Pours a deep reddish/purplish brown with a nice two fingers of head.

Smell is of lactic sourness, oak, and red fruits.

Taste is brilliant. Strong sourness, very ripe cherries, and oak. Strong sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is great. Strong acid but very, very smooth.

Overall, I love this beer. One went down way to quickly, I'd love to drink a couple of these at a time. (433 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%

I had this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. It was served in a brandy snifter filled to the halfway point, so maybe 10oz worth of beer.

Nice garnet red color with a 1-finger pinkish head that lasted awhile and left decent lacing.

The beer smelled like one of those sweet & sour fruit roll-ups made with a combination of sweet raspberries and sour cherries.

This stuff is sweet, sour, puckering, and delicious. Some red wine grape flavors infuse their way into the sweet raspberry and sour cherry flavors. Then add some additional malt for more sweetness, but balance that out with a hefty dose of that funky Belgian yeast. Not much hop presence. I think they use the tartness and sourness to balance all the sweetness here rather than adding any bitterness. A slight woodiness also works to keep it from being overly sweet.

If you're thinking this might be thick and syrupy, it's not. They found a way to keep it on the thin and refreshing side. Lots of puckering sourness with only moderate carbonation.

This is a delicious Flanders Red that I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing keeping me from having another is its high price tag. At $8/glass I have to consume it as a once in awhile treat rather than an everyday guzzler. (1,237 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 11.2oz bottle into Teku.

A - Dark, dirty ruby color with a 1.5 finger off white head. Leaves a small white ring around the glass with no lacing.

S - Tart cherries, sour apple, vanilla, with hints of cocoa and oak.

T - Very intense tartness of stone fruit, green plum, cherry, and sour apple. I pick up the vanilla and oak in the middle. Finishes with a lingering tart sourness. This is pretty sour, with a bit of sweetness to knock it down a bit.

M - Light bodied with excellent carbonation. Mouth puckering finish.

O - This reminds me of New Glarus Enigma, but with much more acidic quality. This is a fantastic Flemish sour and worth the price; $22 a 4 pack. (673 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sour at the front end with fruit, mainly cherries, on the back end. Funk is mild. Pleasant sour no doubt. Malts, fruitiness, oak and similar to Surly Pentagram, but lighter. Not to forget to mention the best taste of all - TART, very nice! (239 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Dark burgundy, nice head with a vigorous pour that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Very lactic, tart cherries, and leathery notes.

T: Amazing. Tart cherries, leather, tart, and sweet. very well balanced.

M: Coats the tongue, the tartness induce salivation which is good.

O: Surprisingly good. I am impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that loves tart wild ales. (383 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

Dark reddish brown with moderate, long lasting head. Sour cherries with vanilla notes, slightly sweet with a strong tart finish. So much like the Monks Flemish Sour Ale in taste and appearance, I wonder if they are not in fact of the same style instead of being classified as an Oud Bruin. (290 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +11.4%

I've been craving this beer recently because I moved to New Hampshire and I've found out that the distributors don't sell a large selection of Belgian beers, I drove an hour to Massachusetts to pick up a four pack, and since I went all that way, I figured I might as well review it as well.

This was my first introduction to 'sour' beers, and it still ranks up there as one of my personal favorite beers (of any style).

A: Appearance ranks up there as a 5. It can't get much better. It is a very dark red. Think black cherry. When held up to the light, you can see it is perfectly clear. No haze or sediment. Very very good. Head doesn't linger very long, and small bubbles trickle up from the bottom.

S: You can smell the sourness exploding out of the glass (tulip). I pick up sour cherries, maybe the slight smell of the funkiness from the wild yeast. The one complaint I have for the smell is that it smacks you in the face when you open and pour, yet doesn't last long. I had it set as a perfect 5, and I lowered it half a point for this.

T: For those that are new to the sours, this one, in my opinion, defines the Flanders red style. It is a perfect 5. Initial taste is of sour cherries, you get the lactic acid in the middle, and the end dries your mouth making it want for another sip. Very very good. Leaves nothing to be desired. This finish is very very sour. Almost mouth puckering. A very dry beer. Very little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough for me. Because, as far as the styles go, I have nothing to compare it to. But I just think it could be better, slightly. 4.5/5 is still great, but it just is missing the intangible on the mouthfeel that some beers just have. Can't explain it.

Overall: An excellent beer. For me, it is worth the occasional road trip to pick up a few. One of my favorite sours. This beer started me in the direction of sour over bitterness, in fact, I love sours so much that I recently went to Belgium for a week to try all I could find. If you like this, you will love Gueuze. I believe this beer will open your palate to many more beers, and many more styles.

4.75/5 Outstanding. For me: 98/100. (2,160 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Garnet with moderate tan head. Medium thickness.

S: Moderate sour cherry, light berry.

T: Strong cherry flavor with moderate wild yeast, accompanied a moderate taste of other berries. Two thirds sour and one third sweet.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation that complement the wild cherry flavor quite nicely.

O: If Wild Cherry Pepsi grew up from a quirky teenager into an eccentric mad scientist, this would be the result. Delightfully flavorful beverage that masterfully covers its alcoholic notes with bold essence of wild cherry and berry. Extremely refreshing. (577 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 into a tulip.

A: a deep red with a copper cast. One finger, beige (too common? Taupe? Cafe au lait?) head that dropped pretty fast.

S: lovely lactic, cherry sour aroma. A real preview of what is to come.

T: as advertised by the aroma. Sour cherry right in the gate, and it holds through the finish. Some spice. Hop, malt, and yeast profiles muted by the sour cherry. No real alcohol perceived at all in the finish.

M: I don't know if this is a "thing" but it it felt fairly light bodied at first, but a bit of sticky held on in the finish making me rethink the overall mouthfeel. Says "full bodied" on the bottle, but .... I could be influenced by West Coast IPA's and Cabs.

O: this direct sour was what I was in the mood for and it nailed it. It is a Flemish Sour, unlike some adult cherry soda's I've had from other breweries (and brouwerij's). Will revisit. Perhaps often. (898 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Found this one in San Antonio during my honeymoon, I'm excited to try it. Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet, code of 03 on the back. This pours a slightly hazy dark brown with hints of read and a smaller fizzy short lived head. The smells are very tart and vinegary, sour cherries, brett, some barnyard funk and a hint of vanilla. The feel is medium, high carbonination. The taste is amazing, extremely tart / sour, almost overwhelming, but then you get a hint of sweet balance, some vanilla, plenty of sour cherries. I wish I bought more of these, this is excellent, one of the finest sours I've had. (607 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 300 ml bottle into a goblet. Dated 04 14 printed on the label.

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a 2-2.5 inch head that holds strong
For about 40 seconds. Head retention is surprising for a beer of this style. Very minimal lacing present around the glass.

Smells of sour cherries, lacto, and Belgian yeast. Pretty serious sour nose on this brew! Makes my mouth water just smelling it.

Tastes tart up front with a cherry finish. Lots of lacto present all throughout with an awesome cherry profile. Need the best Flemish reds I have ever tasted.

Slick on the tongue with a sweetness that turns to tart very quickly. Sweetness is detected when you lick your lips. Minimal carbonation is present but just a bit of prickliness on the tongue. Quite pleasant.

Overall one of the top 10 Flemish reds I've tasted. With an awesome nose and even better flavor, this brew is super delicious and super drinkable at 5.5%. Definitely one that you need to pick up and try!

Cheers! (984 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +11%

Had at rfd in dc. Agree with gentleman below:

"It pours a dark red with a white head that dissipates into great lacing.

Smell is dark fruit with a little funk and a hint of vinegar.

Taste is tart and sour, one of the sourest Flanders I have ever had. But it was great! Taste of sour cherries and grapes with a slight funk and vinegar finish. Not so much sweet as sour.

Good smooth mouth feel with an ending that makes you pucker.

This is a very balanced Flemish red, one of the best I have ever had. Great drinkability and flavor left me craving more. A great find if you can get it!" (591 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very fine sipping beer that starts with a fruity, sour nose with a hint of barnyard and wet horse blanket. Not much hop presence in the aroma. Jacobins Rouge pours cloudy cherry brown with very little foam. On the palate the beer starts with a light fruit sweetness and then explodes quickly into sour fruit flavors - cherries, apples, plums and lemon with a touch of malt for restraint. Despite the initial malt and sweetness, it finishes puckeringly lemony sour and outrageously refreshing. Medium to medium light body to medium high carbonation. (550 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

on-tap, map room chicago - have had this on tap a number of other times in WI

appearance: served in an unbranded tulip, dark garnet body and a light beige ring, active carbonation

smell: very tart - red wine vinegar, pure sugar, tart cherry and raspberry, oak barrel

taste: really wonderful example of the style - maybe the best really. tart cherries, raspberry, sugar, oak barrel, cider vinegar. Each sip is more stunning than the last - vibrant, tongue buckling, exciting, provocative. very much perfect.

mouthfeel: tart and lively, wonderful.

overall: very very good (574 characters)

A: browny-red
S: lovely, tight, full sour cherry
T: delicious! very nice tang, great balance, very long balanced cohesive taste. Lots of flavours that come together beautifully. Sour is definitely there but it supports all the cherry flavour not overpowers.Each sip invites another. The 5.5% alcohol level is perfect.
M: medium bodied.
O: love it. A wonderful balanced full-flavoured beer that doesn't go over the top. (418 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a deep ruby color in to my tulip glass. 1/2 finger, white head that faded quickly to a thin ring on the outside.

Aroma was amazing. Dark fruit, cherry, and a good amount of acidity. Some oak aroma and a light maltyness. A bit of raisen as well.

Sour and tart. Good amount of cherry, prune and dark fruit upfront. Turned a mellow sweetness, then a smack you in the sides/back of your mouth tart/sourness. Good amount of tannins and acidity. Light oak flavors. Clean finish with mild acidity and grape flavors leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium/high carb and a super dry finish.

One of the better/best sours I've had. Great balance of flavors with some nice complexity in the flavors that blend really well. (741 characters)

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge
Brouwerij Bockor

Appearance: A beautiful Flemish red color, poured vigorously leaves a sturdy creamy head that fades. Some lace clings to the side and effervescent carbonation is rising to the top.

Smell: Rich aroma of wild yeasts, chocolates, cherry, ripe stone fruit, lemon, apple, musty basement and faint apple cider vinegar.

Taste: Wholeheartedly sour. Layers of sour. Sharp sourness like biting an unripe lemon, giving way to a sour apple tartness and vinegar tones following. Cherry, young raspberry pits and even chocolate flavors emerge. There is a subtle candy sugar sweetness. Dry oaky tannins last in an elegant finish with plenty of sourness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated. Drying. Pretty much puckering sour, and in the best possible way.

Overall: About as perfect example of the traditional red ales in Flanders as you will ever find. Sip and savor this one. (918 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Cuvee des Jacobins is right up there with the bug guys. When I try a Flanders Red Ale I am forced to compare to Duchese de Bourgogne.

With that in mind, this Red Ale offers a slight variation of tartness to the beer with exceptional quality and drinkability.
A - Brownish, mahogany, deep red with light tan head.
S - Not too much funk with dark fruit aroma.
T - Everything you want a Flanders Red Ale to be. Bucket list, try this on tap or at the brewery.
M - Moderate to bigger carbonation, bubbly tart fruity goodness. Coats the tongue.
O - WHen i go to the liquor store and nothing catches my eye I always leave with this 4 pack. (634 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

I have no complaints with this beer, this is a very delicious Flanders red. Very tart and dry, the cherry(skin) flavors are not medicinal at all. Just a hint of sweetness is present which keeps things a little balanced.

This beer is awesome, totally refreshing and highly drinkable. Grab this if you see it. (308 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

Certainly the best sour I have had to date outside of Grand Cru. Amazing appearance, balance, taste and mouthfeel. Just the right tartness. Will definitely be in my go to list. (181 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful dark dark reddish-brown with foggy ruby tones when held up to the light. Not much head, but that's okay. It is a very good looking beer.

S: Sourness or tartness, cherries, sugar, maybe some vanilla as well.

T: Best part... tart cherries and plums dominate. Vinegar and acid next. Cream, wood, vanilla, kind of an oak-y character, yeast, strawberries, syrup, maple, nuts, and blush wine. This is damn good.

M: Medium-light with a good amount of carb. Pleasant creamy feeling. This is a perfect mouth feel for this beer- I wouldn't have it any other way.

O: This is a perfect Flanders Red and I recommend it to everyone who can get it. The price may look daunting, but it's worth it and relatively cheap for an aged beer like this one. (762 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

First time reviewing a sour ale.
Poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a dark red color almost brown. It is possible that I poured too aggressively at the end because I was able to get about 1.5 fingers of head. The head went away very quickly and left a thin layer on the top.

S- Smells very sour, after pouring I walked away to prepare some Dubliner cheese and was smacked in the face by the smell when walking by. Noticed sour apple and grape juice, very faint hint of a good red wine.

T- Definitely tart, but not all that sour. From the smell I was bracing myself for more, but I am not in the slightest disappointed.

M- Light carbonation (keeping in mind I poured more aggressive)

O- This is a fantastic sour ale, I was having a difficult time putting the beer down while writing the review. (795 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

Date: 01/23/2012
Type: 11.2oz. Bottle
Vintage: Back Label Had 01, maybe 2001?
Glass: Ommegang Chalice

Pours a very wine-esque ruby red w/ brown mahoghany highlights, w/ a 1/2 finger white head that produces nice sticky lacing. Aromas of cherry, oak, Luden's cherry cough drops(medicinal), and funk. Taste starts off w/ face distorting tart/sour cherry and apple, which leads into oak and a touch of cocoa, and finishes w/ a funky twang. Medium bodied and lush. Great depth of flavors and finishes pretty dry.

Overall, this brew blew me away! Hands down the best Flanders Red I have ever had. Squashes Oude Tart! Also, just found out this brewery helped brew Ommegang Rouge, no wonder it is rated so high. Seek this brew out, it is the real deal. (747 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +10%

Poured into a Flanders goblet from a 33cl bottle. Pours a nice, dark reddish-brown with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Smell is of some sour fruits. The first few sips are almost like sucking on a lime it's so sour! Tastes like sour cherries and green apples, delicious! Great carbonation. This is in my book one of the best sours out there. Definitely the best I've had. (378 characters)

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.