Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Ratings: 2,483 | Reviews: 465
2.1/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Nice amber deep ruby brown body, simple white head and lace. That's where the good ended.

This is the first beer rated well on BA that I really hated. I'll chalk it up to I don't like this style, but there are other beers that aren't my style but I can tell they're actually good and I enjoy them as a change. Not such here.

This beer smells of funk, and tastes of it too. It is far to sour and tart in the taste. There's a little cherry and slight malt in the body, the only ok qualities. Really it tastes like vinegar, quite seriously. I'm not ok with this. I respect this beer, but couldn't finish it. It may be your style, but goodness it is not mine. Sorry to rate what I guess is good beer as so poor, but I have to rate the numbers I feel reflect my opinion.

Hate to admit it, this was a drain pour.

2.4/5  rDev -44.6%

A - mahogany... can't really decide if it's red or brown. No head retention.

A - sour cherries, no way of getting around that. Imagine berry jam and white vinegar cooking in a pan together on the stove. There's depth to the aroma, but it's only realized once you get over the sharpness of the acidity.

T - Like your favorite sweet-and-sour candy.. without the sweet finish. Drinking this took me back to my days as a kid eating Warheads... then it just reminded me of coleslaw with too much vinegar.

M - It's hard to distinguish, for 5.5% it's lean. Nothing substantial to hold up to the twang.

O - Not sure what the point even is. In very small dosages this could be a wonderful palatte cleanser. It's also nice to prime with this beer before moving to your evening's IPA.

I paired this with sharp provolone, roasted red peppers and soppresata, surprisingly that barely held up to this beer's profile. Italian hot sausage and gravy faired better. Dark Chocolate did its part. Really, I can't recommend this beer at all, though I was glad to try.

If you're interested in giving this novelty a go, pairing it with food is mandatory ... or even pour some into a glass with a Russian Imperial Stout.

2.53/5  rDev -41.6%

Initial tartness is great but it fades into a cherry medicine flavor almost like robotussin reminds me of my youth in a real bad way

2.71/5  rDev -37.4%

Viniger finish but great upfront

2.9/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

There is nothing complexed about this. It tastes bitter sour and dirty. Much better Sours out there.

Back story: dude next to me bought a four pack for $22 sorry bro.. not a world class brew

A: redish with white head
S: musty, tart
T: tart tart tart and more tart
F: slick very smooth
Overall: this is a sour for sure but a little too much sour with not much else going on would not rate this world class, definitely had better

Too sour for a red

3.03/5  rDev -30%

Imbibed on tap at Rose & Crown on 3/30/2012.

Poured a clear dark ruby red, nearly brown with a thick head that sticks to the glass a little. Sweet then sour cranberry, strawberry, and raspberry aroma. Some dark/brown malt in there too. Taste starts out mouth puckeringly sour. Lots of cranberry with other juicy berries as described in aroma, with the addition of blueberry in taste. Tart to bitter ending. Cranberry through and through. Pretty watery and dry in feel, which is kinda good in my opinion, otherwise it might be too one dimensional.

This really reminded me quite a bit of Duchess, but more fruity. I thought Duchess was the fruitiest Flanders Red, but this one takes the cake. I think I'd rather have something that doesn't taste so fruit juice-ish, and more beer-ish to be honest. It was interesting, but maybe a bit young. I know the alcohol content suggests it shouldn't be aged, but I'd like to see what happens to this beer in a year or two. I'm thinking the sweet juice flavors might take a backseat to some other complexities that would develop.

3.23/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

330ml bottle
BBE: 06-02-15

A: Pours a clear red body with a thin line of bubbly head. Retention and lacing are poor and minimal.

S: Aroma mixed of cherries, vinegar and other sweet fruits. Vinegar smell is quite strong here.

T: Flavours are forward with sour cherries, very sweet then finishes off with a bitter vinegar taste. The sourness is definitely there with a tad to much vinegar taste.

M: Light bodied with medium-high carbonation. Water like texture with no presence of alcohol. The aftertaste is very sour and vinegary, but does not linger to long.

D: Interesting brew, one of few flemish styles I've had. The cherry sourness is nice, but the vinegar is to strong here.

3.3/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draught at Dirty Truth. Pours opaque dark red without much of a head. Smells surprisingly sweet, with lots of typical sour cherry. Pretty acetic. A bit of barnyard 'funkiness', though that's really in the back seat here. Tastes of sour cherry, with artificial sweetening pretty evident, unfortunately. Quite fruity. Not what one would expect of a sour/lambic mix.

3.33/5  rDev -23.1%

a: deep dark amber body with a nice creamy tan head. some spotty lacing is left behind.

s: sour cherries, acid, vinegar and ketchup.

t: very sour and acidic up front with a semi sweet finish. i can taste everything i smell, especially the ketchup on the finish.

m: puckering sourness, nice carb level. i'd say the body is right for a sour, heavy enough to carry the sour cherries without being too thin and vinegary.

o: just can't get past the ketchup on the finish, feel like i'm ten years old and my mom put cherrry medicine in my ketchup to get me to take it.

3.43/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very tart. A little too gummy of a mouthfeel.

3.46/5  rDev -20.1%

Very sour beer hews to Belgian tradition.

Deep reddish brown in the glass. Aroma not to accessible until the chill wears off. Then it's like a hot horse, that whiff of the stable. Not much malt to sustain the sharp sourness. No apparent hops, but certainly some bitter and murky flavors. Some bread and yeast, and especially a mineral flavor. Seems very salty in the aftertaste.

An hour later I can still feel the woody sourness. What a great vinegar this would make! Had a tulip glass at the Pizza Port in Ocean Beach (San Diego).

3.47/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sampled on tap at the Hay Merchant, Houston TX; April 2012
The beer arrives from the tap topped by a creamy, amber tinged, tan colored, one-finger thick head. The beer is a concentrated amber color. The nose smells primarily of lactic acidity, with a backdrop of fruity notes that hint at cherries. There is a touch of oxidized malt richness here as well some caramelized malt aromatics.

The flavor is definitely tart, even leaning towards sour. It is quite dry up front, but does pick up some sweetness and even an acetic bit as it moves towards the finish. The acidity is predominantly lactic in character, which is good. Other flavors of cherry, some earthiness, maybe a touch of oak and some astringency are noticeable here.

This beer is actually fairly simplistic, it is satisfying and tasty though.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

On tap at ChurchKey poured into a sampler glass. Poured a cloudy brown color with a mostly lasting frothy light brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy sour tart cherry, fruit and yeast aroma. Medium to full body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium to heavy sweet&sour dark fruit flavor with a medium to heavy sour dark fruit finish of moderate to long duration.

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

I had this on tap at the La Jolla Public House in La Jolla, CA. A good red ale, it is nevertheless a bit too tart and sour, with a tart sour cherry character dominating a bit too much.

Deep red, it had a medium off-white head thinning to a thin ring and wisps.

Aroma was nice strong, sweet-sour cherry, hint of vinegar and fermented wet bread dough.

Taste was some nice, sweet-sour cherry but overly tart and sour, lightly woody with finish of candy and grain, but tended to be too tart-sour, an element that soon dominated all else, making it one-dimensional and eventually tiresome.

3.55/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So this is my first time tasting this type of beer. Still not sure what to think. It pours a red wine clear color with no head or lacing on the side of the glass. Not sure if this is typical for the type, so I will rate it low for now. Has a tart grape, sour apple aroma. Very tart sour apple taste. It is good, but it can be hard to finish the beer due to the tartness. There is a tart aftertaste, but I don't remember it being that strong.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

11.2 oz into small tasting glass

A- Deep amber, fine head that fades fast.
S- Smells sour I guess? My palate is not very refined when it comes to sours so that's the best I can do.
T- Sweet and sour seem fairly well balanced. Again, my palate is not refined enough to enjoy this, so I can't say much more.
M- Fairly thick, low carbonation.
O- Sours are not my thing. As sours go, this is one of the better I have had, so I don't want to rate it poorly.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

There are better Flanders Red's out there

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Another nice Belgian beer hits the Ontario LCBO shelves, I've been spending alot of money recently on these releases...

Appearance: Quite a deep hue of red/brown. head and lacing reasonably minimal.

Smell: One of the most fruit forward beers I've experienced (that doesn't actually have fruit in it). It's quite remarkable how simple malt and yeast can create such intense fruit aromas. Main profile includes cherries, oak, apple, plum, pear, even a little banana.

Taste: Again its quite fruit forward, rather sweet. sourness hits at the back and sides of tongue and is followed by some sourness and funk/earth. I think it's a bit too fruity and sweet for my personal tastes, but still rather enjoyable. Finish is long of course and very fruity, but also slightly sour/vomity/funky.

Mouthfeel: Quite thick, sticky, which is sort of to style, but relegates this to the desert course I would think. Slightly dry on the edges as I mentioned but not enough to sustain balance and urge you to drink on.

Overall, this is tasty, but I feel as though I've had better beers in this style (Rodenbach GC, and perhaps Petrus?)... Nevertheless it's definitely a nice one to have around and perhaps a good one to introduce non-beer folk to.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Pored from a 11.2oz bottle into a tulip.

A: pours a deep brown with dark red, about half a finger of lightly brown head that fades into a film that stocks around.

S: sour cherry and oak with a backbone aroma of sweet red vinegar aroma that reminds me of ketchup. As this brew warms I feel the vinegar becomes more and more pronounced.

T: much like the nose, I get a very plleasing tart cherry flavor with a hint of sour raspberry over a sweet red wine vinegar backbone, which again, to me, is very reminiscent of ketchup, it does have a nice tartness, bit i feel like there is a sweetness that overshadows it a bit.

M: medium body with medium carbonation, this brew is nice and lush and creamy, a very nice mouthfeel for the style, that leavs a bit of a sweet lingering sourness on the palate.

O: not my favorite sour, it reminds me of ketchup, bit do far everyone I have told this looks at me like I have three heads, I don't know what it is, I think it is a combination of the sweetness and the vinegar notes that just seay my palate that way. I wish the sour fruit notes took more of the drivers seat, but I seem to be an acception to the rule. @ least in the circle of people I imbibe sour beers with.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sorry! I know I'm going against the rating rules but sour beers aren't the greatest brewed beers... It can be a bios opinion but I don't like them, especially when they're rated in the top 250. That being said maybe I'll appreciate a sour beer at some point but as of now I do appreciate the brewing and creation and idea of them.

3.72/5  rDev -14.1%

A- Poured a beautiful bright reddish brown, typical of the style; atop which sat a thin (1-finger) white head, which slowly receded, leaving a bit of lacing behind. No visible carbonation from the side of the glass...

S- Gorgeous sweet & sour nose (also typical of the style). The sweet comes through as raw candy sugar, and the sour comes through as cider vinegar. Further examination reveals hints of copper (metallic) and soy sauce.

T- The sour notes of these beer are much bigger than anticipated... acetobacter and lactobacillus are definitely present, and this sour/bitter character is further enhanced by presumed oak tannins. The anticipated sweet notes are here, but nonetheless eclipsed by the sour. The finish is very dry and sour.

M- Body is quite thin, and the carbonation is so fine, I'm tempted to call this "under-carbonated"...

D- I enjoyed trying this beer, but could not consider ordering another 12 oz. glass... the sourness and dryness of the beer becomes overpowering with time (perhaps as the beer warms?), and I prefer to have the accompaniment of "sweet" with this style.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

on tap at capones in december 2009

A - pours a chestnut brown with a layer of foam that quickly dies down but left lots of lacing

S - tart sour cherries and oak along with lots of acidity

T - woodiness lingering throughout the mouth, cherries and some citrus along with a bit of sour pucker

M/D - a bit of a zip to the mouthfeel, good flavor and mouthfeel, I would definitely drink this again.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

A really dark red beer with some visible carbonation. It smells a little fruity, mostly cherries. The beer also tastes very cherry, with a serious sour after taste. The beer was very light and carbonated - almost tasting fizzy. Enjoyable and really pushes the idea of what to expect when you sit down to drink a beer.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.