Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
plumcrazyfx

04-07-2012 03:22:45 | More by plumcrazyfx
kmello69

04-05-2012 23:42:54 | More by kmello69
UTCengOwl

4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard this was a darned good sour... so I had to pick up a bottle when I saw one at Lone Star. Glad I did, this is good stuff! Served in a Ommegang chalice because all of my other beer glasses are dirty.

Pours with a deep ruby body that is slightly tainted by a dirty, dark brown. Forms a light tan head that has nice bubble sizing, but doesn't last long. Decent enough, but not spectacular.

This beer is fantastically well rounded. Nothing knocks me over the head, but I really like every bit of it. The tartness is sharp, but not huge. The main flavor is a real cherry that plays well with that medium tartness. There's an oak bite and a bit of vanilla in the sip. Occasionally, I get a sweet apple bite at the end of the sip. There's also a slight hint of balsamic vinegar in the background, but it only comes forth when I want to find it. Perfect vinegar depth. All of the flavor facets come wrapped in a very well weighted fluid package.

This bottle was a bit pricey, but I'd definitely go back to it again. The Jacobins is not as bold as a La Folie, but the flavors are much more balanced and subtle. Very solid beer.

04-02-2012 23:43:45 | More by UTCengOwl
chunkeemunkee

04-01-2012 04:23:09 | More by chunkeemunkee
baybassboy

04-01-2012 00:53:33 | More by baybassboy
tobelerone

Connecticut

A very tasty Flemish red. I’d buy this more often if not for the high price tag which makes it a once-in-a-while treat. The body is deep red, with a small red-tinted head that settles down quickly; lacing is spotty and a little soapy looking. The aroma is tart and sour, funky and fruity, touches of oak and light vinegar, vaguely sweet. Cherry is the predominant fruit note in both the smell and taste. Good sourness, some puckering, this will most likely seem strong to novice sour-drinkers but fairly average in intensity to the more experienced. Again, the flavors are complex as the aroma, with a nice touch of woody oak tannins, restrained cider vinegar, tart cherries, sour apples, raspberries, red wine, brown sugar. Sweet and sour aspects are well balanced.

Body is well carbonated and medium to a little thin. Crisp and clean finishing, very refreshing, and an excellent accompaniment to food that needs a little cutting through; rich cheeses, spicy asian cuisines, etc.

03-30-2012 17:30:50 | More by tobelerone
Blanco

03-30-2012 01:23:48 | More by Blanco
PeprSprYoFace

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a small snifter. Fits the 11.2oz bottle perfectly. Pours a deep garnet red. Fairly clear. Light tan head dissipated fast to nothing. You can see bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries and raspberries with a little bit of barn yard funk and some red wine sort of merlot characters going on. Smells great.

Taste is great. Not much flavor in the start but as you swallow a bit of tart cherries hits your tongue then the sourness takes over and then some more cherry and some chocolate/dark fruits and then a bit of funk. Very tasty and complex beer. Not a lot of the balsamic you get from other Flanders.

Mouthfeel is great for a sour. I prefer a bit more dry but it's great for a Flanders which is usually a bit more malty.

Overall maybe my fav Flanders red. I typically dont like the style because of the maltyness but this one is great because it's more dry. I'll be getting this one in the future for sure.

03-29-2012 05:20:58 | More by PeprSprYoFace
lowgear

3.5/5  rDev -19.2%

03-29-2012 02:23:31 | More by lowgear
Beerenauslese

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

On draft at The Toronado.

Around a 4 oz pour into a small wine glass. Body is translucent red, topped by a thin layer of off-white foam.

Smells sour, mainly of fresh cherries, with notes of wood and vanilla. Fresh and complex.

Tastes of fresh cherries, nicely tart--just a touch of acetic acid. Notes of wood and vanilla. A little yeast funkiness. This is a wonderful and subtly complex tasting sour.

Body is medium and carbonation is too, has a lightly creamy mouthfeel. Finishes clean.

This is a great Flanders red, very tasty and drinkable. I could easily have another.

03-28-2012 04:53:32 | More by Beerenauslese
TMath524

New Hampshire

03-27-2012 13:12:45 | More by TMath524
kojevergas

4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Bottle acquired at Whole Foods in Glendale, California. Expectations are extremely high as I've heard nothing but great things about this beer. I'm in the mood for a good sour.

Reviewed live.

Served at the midpoint between refrigerator cold and room temperature. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one and a half finger head of nice cream, fairly good thickness, and great retention. Sort of an off-white head colour. The body colour is a dark semitransparent ruby-amber. Definitely a hue of red. Rich and inviting. Yeast particles are difficult to find but they're definitely in there. Quite appealing.

Sm: Apple, souring wild yeast, bacteria, cherry, indistinct fruit esters, light hints of oak when I look for it, figs, and a very slight vanilla hint (only when I look for it). The label's description is actually true; if only American breweries would take note. A nicely subtle and complex aroma. Moderate in strength. Very appealing and alive. I can't wait to try it. Exactly how a sour ought to smell.

T: Quite sour, in a good way. A bit puckerworthy but not problematic. Fresh. This one's definitely alive and heavy with yeast that doesn't feel overly biscuity or earthy. Apple certainly comes through. Cherries are there. I don't get any cocoa or vanilla; I think they're buried behind the sourness (I probably don't have the palate to pick them out; all apologies). Cream right on the open. Very delicious. Full bodied - the foundation is clean unobtrusive bright malts. A lovely beer. Very subtle. Tart and fruity. The oak here is hard to detect, and emerges as a note not merely as a tone like in many imperial stouts. Masterfully complex, but it doesn't beat you over the head with bold notes. The brewers value subtlety, and so do I. I'm impressed with this one. The sourness is of ideal extent in my opinion.

Sourness lingers in the aftertaste, which I find enjoyable.

Mf: Crisp but also refreshing. Some cream on the open. Smooth, wet, and unobtrusive - as it should be. Light and delicate without being fragile. Just a touch too thin, but forgivable as the thinness adds to the delicacy. Complements the flavours incredibly well.

Dr: Absurdly drinkable. An excellent sour. I'd definitely had this again. I imagine it would age well, but I wouldn't have the fortitude not to drink it. Excellently priced, even as an import (thank God the Shelton Bastards aren't handling distribution). Its ABV isn't high, but for what it's worth it's well hidden. I really fancy this one, and would highly recommend it to sour fans. It will likely be too puckerworthy for newcomers to sours, but it's a great example of the style. Phenomenally brewed.

Drank just fine out of me Guinness golbet. I recommend goblets as the ideal serving vessel for this beer.

Don't pair this with anything; it's worth enjoying on its own. If you must, perhaps something simple like red grapes would be ideal.

A good candidate for aging methinks.

A-

03-24-2012 16:21:23 | More by turmeric
lemongelo

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

My first review:
I am in love with sours. I think they are by far the best example of why beer is way cooler than wine. They illustrate diversity. They define boundaries of beer that are leaps and bounds wider than vino.

A: This beer has a dark ruby hue. It's minimal head suggests a wide range of possibilities. Carbonation works its way up the middle of the glass. It does not cling to the side the way Champagne does. To me, this suggests this beer will not be light. We must look at what we are consuming deductively. Once you put your head in a box, you will never get out.

S: Slightly sharp is what I think. I get a combination of grapefruit, lemon peel and sour cherries. I smell this beer and I know what is coming on the palate. It is without a doubt sour. Give me some charcuterie and goat cheese please. Also as I smell this beer, I instantly think about the food that would go with it. This is where I think sours excel. The possibilities are endless. Chocolate dessert, cheese, because of the acidity certain soups could be phenomenal.

T: Darker than the smell is my initial thought. The taste offers up the conclusion to your initial thoughts on the A and S. This beer has depth and the level of sour is completely balanced. Dark cherries...that you hope are with chocolate that has a creamy undertone. If it does this beer will cut through the cream and pair incredibly.

M: The weight of this beer is perfect. It is exactly what I want out of a sour. When I think of too little mouthfeel I think of Mikkeller...when I think of too much I think of D.O.R.I.S.. This beer delivers and I think they did a fantastic job.

O: A little rough on the finish, but this is a fantastic sour. It is extremely well balanced and does a great job fitting into its style. Sometimes beers try to be what they are not and these guys know what they are good at.

03-24-2012 06:00:43 | More by lemongelo
emilylee

03-23-2012 23:36:09 | More by emilylee
stealth

Absolutely delicious, perfect flanders/flemish ale. I never thought something would come close to matching Consecration (my all-time #1), but this is right there. What an amazing example of the style.

Dark ruby red pour, thick pillowy head that dissipates in to excellent lacing. Great carbonation throughout the drink. The smell is sour and tart, and lets you know it's going to be delicious. Taste is sour, tart, finishes very dry. Makes your mouth pucker and pucker. Lots of funk with sour cherry/apple notes. Vanilla comes in a bit from the oak barrels.

Overall, I find no fault with this beer. I could drink it and drink it. Low ABV as well, making this an extremely sessionable beer. If you like sours get this now.

03-23-2012 06:55:54 | More by stealth
MeowTom

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark red pour with light head that quickly dissolves leaving a light ring that clings to the edge with spots of head still in the center.

S- If you could call it a fresh sweet-sour fruity mix thats what I would and just did.

T- Sour/vinegar fruit that follows easily with the smell. VERY NICE.

MF- Perfect amount of carbonation almost like a champagne with a light body that leaves nice tart finish.

O- Wonderful beer overall and is a great example of what a Belgium sour should be.

03-23-2012 00:59:45 | More by MeowTom
jrohrbacher

03-21-2012 05:05:22 | More by jrohrbacher
cbutova

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

Don't know how I missed out on this one for so long, love a good Flanders.

A- Dark red ale poured into a tulip with some brown hues around the edges. Single finger off-white head forms with a fizzy texture and low retention. Spotty lace from a small ring on the beer.

S- Strength of aroma is great with big notes of sour fruit, acetic vinegar and oak.

T- Follows the nose nicely. Flavorful blast of sour dark fruit, acetic acid/vinegar, lemon juice, apple, oak, vinous hints and slight funk.

MF- Moderate carbonation in a beer that has a fizzy but silky smooth feel. Big sours but not at the level of a Cantillon.

A nice Flanders Red Ale. I find this style to be quite solid overall, seems like these guys know what they are doing. Great balance of everything fruit and sour.

03-21-2012 03:00:57 | More by cbutova
justinbrown

03-20-2012 22:01:03 | More by justinbrown
CORKSCREWFISH

03-20-2012 05:30:34 | More by CORKSCREWFISH
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Beige head. Color is a clear copper

A: sweet cherry pie and sour funk.  Very clean and approachable . Bready and caramel.

T : sour cherry and cherry pie filling. Very nice. Bready but sweet. Very sour. A lot of tart fruits. Jolly rancher goodness.

Mf; sour and tart. Light bodies with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

O:  this was a surprisingly good beer. It was very sour and tart.  Very drinkable . I am glad I had a chance to  have this one.

03-20-2012 01:44:25 | More by mothman
CWhite

Wisconsin

03-19-2012 19:53:41 | More by CWhite
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.