Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)

Baldpacker, Feb 21, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

sliks96, Feb 21, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a basic tulip glass.

I've had the beer several times on tap and enjoyed it, it wasn't until bottles came to Chicago that I really thought how awesome this beer is.

It pours a deep crimson/ruby with a light ivory head and low amount of lacing. Tiny bubbles rest on the surface.

The aroma is nearly perfect, it strikes a balance between sweet cherry aromas and the nose tingling acid with just a little caramelized sugar.

The flavor is just perfect. It's everything I'm looking for in a Flanders Red. It's just got bit of candy sugar sweetness up front. Then the tart mouth puckering acid develops. It's not nearly as acidic as a good lambic but it's also not a straight lacto sour either. It really toes the delicate line between complimentary vinegar flavor and just pour it on a salad. I just love it. Tart cherry flavors all over and it finishes with a nice sour patch kid thing.

The carb is just right, gentle and present but not too high as to increase the harsh flavors. The aftertaste consist soley of lingering acid, just like the aftertaste of a sour candy.

To keep it short this is probably the best Flanders Red I've ever had, Oude Tart can give it a good run for it's money though. Flanders is my favorite style as well so I've tasted a few in my life. It's just outstanding and only better that's it now widely available year round and only $22 per 4 pack.

weatherdog, Feb 21, 2012

ShemRahBoo, Feb 20, 2012

CPditka, Feb 20, 2012

Texasfan549, Feb 20, 2012
4.33/5  rDev 0%

A rusitc, amber color with a rouge highlght.

The nose was very aromatic and complex. Aromas of tart cherries, cocoa and raisins and figs. I know I was in for a treat when I tasted it.

The body was medium-full with a pleasant acidity. It actually was more sour than most I've had, but it was a good sour.

Flavors of light to dark roasted malts formed the backbone. Hints of cocoa, dark dried fruits blended well with the acidic and tart flavors of cherries.

The finish was strong with that tartness and acidity and it lingered on the tongue.

I LOVE Flemish Sours and Oud Bruins. This was top notch. Fantastic.

auro0006, Feb 20, 2012

ithinkimasofa, Feb 19, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

NBS #3; I'm not going to let the forums' absence slow me down!

A: Deep red, ruby. A dirty 1-inch head slowly settles, lacing remains.

S: Oak/vanilla, vinegar, and sharp & spicy notes of tart fruit and pepper.

T: As a sour n00b, initially I felt overwhelmed with the sour taste. Once I became accustomed, I began to appreciate the fine blend of cherries, must, and other dark fruit. This is pretty incredible.

M: Not thin, but closer to thin than thick. The sourness lingers and leaves me wanting to take another sip! Honestly, nothing about the mouthfeel puts me off.

O: I was told, "this is an excellent Flanders", and while I haven't dabbled too much in the style, I will admit this is the best I've tasted. My lack of knowledge to style is why I haven't rated higher than a 4.5 in any category -- in time perhaps I will revisit this one with a more educated palate. Regardless, everything comes together quite nicely.

I thought one bottle would suffice, but now I want more. To the liquor store I go (tomorrow, that is)!

psychotia, Feb 19, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -47.3%

A - mahogany... can't really decide if it's red or brown. No head retention.

A - sour cherries, no way of getting around that. Imagine berry jam and white vinegar cooking in a pan together on the stove. There's depth to the aroma, but it's only realized once you get over the sharpness of the acidity.

T - Like your favorite sweet-and-sour candy.. without the sweet finish. Drinking this took me back to my days as a kid eating Warheads... then it just reminded me of coleslaw with too much vinegar.

M - It's hard to distinguish, for 5.5% it's lean. Nothing substantial to hold up to the twang.

O - Not sure what the point even is. In very small dosages this could be a wonderful palatte cleanser. It's also nice to prime with this beer before moving to your evening's IPA.

I paired this with sharp provolone, roasted red peppers and soppresata, surprisingly that barely held up to this beer's profile. Italian hot sausage and gravy faired better. Dark Chocolate did its part. Really, I can't recommend this beer at all, though I was glad to try.

If you're interested in giving this novelty a go, pairing it with food is mandatory ... or even pour some into a glass with a Russian Imperial Stout.

MONKandTUCK, Feb 19, 2012

kspongeworthy, Feb 19, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from bottle into chalice style glass

Appearance – A deep red-brown color which formed a moderate head upon pouring. There was a bit of lacing on the sides of the glass upon the loss of the head.

Smell – A sour cherry aroma hits you up front and persists throughout the aroma. Toward the end a more vinegary aroma mixes in to the sour cherry.

Taste – A nice sour cherry taste meets the tongue. The taste matches the smell quite nicely, and as soon after the sour cherry hits, a bit of more vinegary/acetic acid taste comes into play. It leaves a very bitter and sour taste on the tongue. While sour and bitter it is surprisingly very nice.

Mouthfeel –The sourness mixed with the bit higher level of carbonation which when combined make it a a slower drinking beer. The thickness is rather moderate, but again, due to its sour nature, it is one to sip and enjoy over the long haul.

Overall – A nice dryer sour. It has lots of sour cherry flavor and some nice aromas. A good slow sipping light abv.brew.

Darkmagus82, Feb 19, 2012

13esd, Feb 18, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

LostHighway, Feb 18, 2012

hoppymcgee, Feb 17, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

On-tap at Churchkey in DC

A: Deep red pour, clear with only a ring of off-white head. No notes of carbonation, lacing, or retention. But the red color of this beer is really impressive.

S: Funky, sour, cherries, oak. On the sour side as far as Flanders Reds go. Maybe some booze is being noted as well.

T: The taste is balanced really nicely. Starts off sweet with some cherries and raspberries. Moves to sour and funky in the middle. Not a big, lip puckering sour, but a nice enjoyable one. Finishes oaky and clean.

MF: Medium body and insanely dry throughout, which makes it really drinkable.

O: For $5.50/4oz I'd pass on it again. With that said, I did REALLY like it. Might treat myself sometime. Nice balance, won't rip the enamel off of your teeth sour, just fruity sour goodness.

russwbeck, Feb 17, 2012

SconnieJohnny, Feb 11, 2012
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

168th Review
Bottle to snifter

From notes. Not sure who I have to thank for this one, but thanks!

A: Burnt leather, tan. 1.5 (off-white, almost tan) fingernail head on medium pour.

S: Dark cherry, dried fig, caramel, vinegar, woodiness (combo of oak and hickory), and tart apples.

T: Much like the smell, but the sour notes of this beer are wonderful. Smooth balance of cherry, tart apples, and figs. Caramel sweetness comes and goes all throughout, but this is a very nice touch.

M: Medium bodied with just-right (not too much, not too little) carbonation.

O: All around a very enjoyable beer for sure. I could imagine drinking an entire bottle of this alone and think it will age considerably well. Definitely something I will seek out again in the future!

spdyfire83, Feb 11, 2012

Argofax, Feb 10, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Purchased 02/09/12 at Binny's in Downers Grove,IL for $21.99. Batch 01.

A- Pours deep cherry red below a very hissy 2 finger enamel white head, which slowly settles into a pleasant film. I suppose the nose suggests that it should look a bit stickier in the lacing, but then again most Flanders Reds I've tried are too dry to leave really beautiful lacing. Nonetheless, this particular example does leave some reasonable legs. Very good considering the style.

S- Robust nose of tart cherries, apple cider vinegar, light caramel, and lemon zest. I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap, and a nicely bowled glass lets it open up very nicely. A bit of musty oak comes out upon sitting, which counters the tart sweetness in the nose nicely.

T- The beer immediately hits the palate with acetic notes of vinegar, followed by lush notes of blackberries, tart cherry, and more of that musty oak resonance to keep the sharpness of the other flavors in check. This is an absolute gobsmacker, but moves across the palate with grace. Finishes dry, but a lingering tartness remains for several moments, making the mouth water.

M- A tongue-puckering tartness is present for much of the sip, but it avoids unpleasantness at the hand of the myriad other flavors in play. This acidity also fades from the palate with reasonable pace, in as much that it won't get in the way of whatever food one might pair it with. Juiciness is derived from the sour notes, and provides good counterpoint to the otherwise dry mouthfeel and fine effervescence. Absolutely delicious.

O- Edging out Monk's Cafe as my favorite Flanders Red, Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge exemplifies the ideal balance in sours of this nature. It's really a treat to have them finally brought around here, and even one beer into the 4 pack, I feel that I got my money's worth out of the somewhat steep price tag.

gigaknight, Feb 09, 2012

mdfb79, Feb 09, 2012
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.