Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)

polishkaz, Apr 18, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

11.2 oz into small tasting glass

A- Deep amber, fine head that fades fast.
S- Smells sour I guess? My palate is not very refined when it comes to sours so that's the best I can do.
T- Sweet and sour seem fairly well balanced. Again, my palate is not refined enough to enjoy this, so I can't say much more.
M- Fairly thick, low carbonation.
O- Sours are not my thing. As sours go, this is one of the better I have had, so I don't want to rate it poorly.

Steasy66, Apr 18, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

11.2oz bottle into a Ranger Creek tulip.

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge pours with a tawny brown body that brightens to ruby red when held in the light. The head crackles at first, but settles to a firm, dense ring of newspaper-colored bubbles at the edge of the glass. The aroma is astounding: sweet hint of vanilla from the 18 month barrel-aging, tart cherry skin, green blackberry vines, and a pinch of toffee malts.

The flavor hits the palate with both sour tartness and sweet maltiness, and what a glorious balance it is. Cherries are luscious and juicy at first, but grip the sides of the palate with a sharp, tart bite. Very much like sour cherry pie, with the crust included. A hint of cocoa and oak barrels flash in the middle before the finish of dry, crisp sourness. Although Rouge is a sipper, it never once tires the tongue. Very drinkable, and the tart medium body is perfectly carbonated. I'm exuberant to have this sour beer distributed in Texas, and the price point makes it all the sweeter.

wagenvolks, Apr 18, 2012

wesley14, Apr 17, 2012

phillyswear, Apr 17, 2012

bthomas, Apr 16, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a clear deep ruby red color with a thin edging which leaves strands of sticky lace around the glass. The aroma is faint and is of vanilla, cherry, and faint oaky notes. The taste follows suit with a big cherry vanilla taste which gives way to a great sourness. There is also notes of oakiness and spices when you let in play on the tongue, almost like a red wine flavor. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall this is a very good beer, the aroma was hard to get to, but the rest of the beer was very good. The taste was well crafted with a nice complexity and smoothness.

goblue3509, Apr 15, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

I poured this one from an 11.2oz crown capped brown bottle into my Allagash tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a clear but dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights. The head rose just about 3/4" with a careful pour and then quickly settled to a thin but persistent cap. No lace to speak of.

S= I found this to be quite aromatic. Lots of tart/sour fruity notes and some cherry pie over the top of slight malty sweetness. Everything was in balance.

T= Very delicious from start to finish of each sip. I found it started with some residual sweetness and a kiss of malt backbone, followed by a parade of fruity and sour notes. Very complex and very well balanced. This was on par with Rodenbach (blasphemy I know). Finished quite tart and refreshing.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodied, with a firm but not spritzy carbonation level. Very refreshing and palate cleansing.

D= Overall this is a world class and highly drinkable ale. I will seek this out again!

spointon, Apr 15, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

PEIhop, Apr 13, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

CBlack85, Apr 12, 2012

11.2 oz poured into a snifter. 6.99 a pop.

Clear rust brown with hints of red; medium head with average retention and lacing. Aroma is lactic and acetic... yogurt, balsamic vinegar, funk and acid in general. Very sour taste of tart plums, and intense bite of vinegar... perhaps too intense. Or I am drinking it too warm. Medium body, good carbonation and clean finish. Good. Better than other beers of its kind, and a good balance of acetic and lactic.

Downsides? Too sour, maybe. Some balancing bitterness wouldn't have hurt. But between the current taste and too bitter, I would go with current.

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

tewaris, Apr 12, 2012

mozim, Apr 12, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Picked up a 11.2 oz bottle during my Boston trip, on recommendation by a Julio's Liquors employee. That guy deserves a raise! This is only my second sour beer, but now I know that I need to find more to try.

Poured into a tulip. A finger and a half of light tan head with large bubbles, subsides to an attractive smattering over the surface, and stays there. The body is a lively brown with a ruby tinge.

The smell is of soured belgian yeast, cherry, apple, malt, and a hint of balsamic vinegar. All of these are well balanced and subtle, well crafted. Just from the smell, you can tell that this is a quality ale.

After my initial shock, I quickly got to know each and every beautiful flavor. At first sip, you are greeted with sharp cherry. As the beer warms in your mouth, a magical transformation occurs. The sour takes over, the crisp mouthfeel becomes almost "snowy", apple comes out to play, as well as the slightest vanilla note from the oak aging. The aftertaste is mildly puckering, a tad vinegary, but pleasant throughout.

I'm impressed, to say the least. A fine example of the flanders red ale, if I may so inexperienced-ly may say so. Amazing flavor, cascading, and complex, just as the label mentions.

troysoy2, Apr 11, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -30%

Imbibed on tap at Rose & Crown on 3/30/2012.

Poured a clear dark ruby red, nearly brown with a thick head that sticks to the glass a little. Sweet then sour cranberry, strawberry, and raspberry aroma. Some dark/brown malt in there too. Taste starts out mouth puckeringly sour. Lots of cranberry with other juicy berries as described in aroma, with the addition of blueberry in taste. Tart to bitter ending. Cranberry through and through. Pretty watery and dry in feel, which is kinda good in my opinion, otherwise it might be too one dimensional.

This really reminded me quite a bit of Duchess, but more fruity. I thought Duchess was the fruitiest Flanders Red, but this one takes the cake. I think I'd rather have something that doesn't taste so fruit juice-ish, and more beer-ish to be honest. It was interesting, but maybe a bit young. I know the alcohol content suggests it shouldn't be aged, but I'd like to see what happens to this beer in a year or two. I'm thinking the sweet juice flavors might take a backseat to some other complexities that would develop.

Philousa, Apr 09, 2012

jaidenjb, Apr 09, 2012

samEBC, Apr 07, 2012

plumcrazyfx, Apr 07, 2012

kmello69, Apr 06, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard this was a darned good sour... so I had to pick up a bottle when I saw one at Lone Star. Glad I did, this is good stuff! Served in a Ommegang chalice because all of my other beer glasses are dirty.

Pours with a deep ruby body that is slightly tainted by a dirty, dark brown. Forms a light tan head that has nice bubble sizing, but doesn't last long. Decent enough, but not spectacular.

This beer is fantastically well rounded. Nothing knocks me over the head, but I really like every bit of it. The tartness is sharp, but not huge. The main flavor is a real cherry that plays well with that medium tartness. There's an oak bite and a bit of vanilla in the sip. Occasionally, I get a sweet apple bite at the end of the sip. There's also a slight hint of balsamic vinegar in the background, but it only comes forth when I want to find it. Perfect vinegar depth. All of the flavor facets come wrapped in a very well weighted fluid package.

This bottle was a bit pricey, but I'd definitely go back to it again. The Jacobins is not as bold as a La Folie, but the flavors are much more balanced and subtle. Very solid beer.

UTCengOwl, Apr 03, 2012

chunkeemunkee, Apr 01, 2012

baybassboy, Apr 01, 2012
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.