Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,347 | Reviews: 428

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - very clear dark amber hue with a small tan/white head that persists only as a ring around the glass

S - funk, musty dark fruit, phenolic, intriguing but not the best I've smelled

T - sweet fruityness quickly turning to extreme tartness and then transitioning to a smooth lingering apple and cherry sweetness, excellent!

M - very dry, astringent, lightly effervescent, pleasing complement to the taste

O - well balanced, subtle complexities under a huge tart punch with exciting flavor changes from start to finish

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Acquired in a trade as a generous extra, thanks!

A- Pours a copper red hazy body with a modest head that doesn't stick around very long. No lacing.

S- Super funky, leather, lactic acid, sour citrus, some caramel and toffee.

T- Big punch of sour lactic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar. The finish is delicious with roasty, malty, nutty notes. Very nice.

M- Medium-light body, super crisp and refreshing, easy drinker.

I really liked this beer. Wish it was available in bombers, 12 oz just isn't enough!

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

I've been craving this beer recently because I moved to New Hampshire and I've found out that the distributors don't sell a large selection of Belgian beers, I drove an hour to Massachusetts to pick up a four pack, and since I went all that way, I figured I might as well review it as well.

This was my first introduction to 'sour' beers, and it still ranks up there as one of my personal favorite beers (of any style).

A: Appearance ranks up there as a 5. It can't get much better. It is a very dark red. Think black cherry. When held up to the light, you can see it is perfectly clear. No haze or sediment. Very very good. Head doesn't linger very long, and small bubbles trickle up from the bottom.

S: You can smell the sourness exploding out of the glass (tulip). I pick up sour cherries, maybe the slight smell of the funkiness from the wild yeast. The one complaint I have for the smell is that it smacks you in the face when you open and pour, yet doesn't last long. I had it set as a perfect 5, and I lowered it half a point for this.

T: For those that are new to the sours, this one, in my opinion, defines the Flanders red style. It is a perfect 5. Initial taste is of sour cherries, you get the lactic acid in the middle, and the end dries your mouth making it want for another sip. Very very good. Leaves nothing to be desired. This finish is very very sour. Almost mouth puckering. A very dry beer. Very little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough for me. Because, as far as the styles go, I have nothing to compare it to. But I just think it could be better, slightly. 4.5/5 is still great, but it just is missing the intangible on the mouthfeel that some beers just have. Can't explain it.

Overall: An excellent beer. For me, it is worth the occasional road trip to pick up a few. One of my favorite sours. This beer started me in the direction of sour over bitterness, in fact, I love sours so much that I recently went to Belgium for a week to try all I could find. If you like this, you will love Gueuze. I believe this beer will open your palate to many more beers, and many more styles.

4.75/5 Outstanding. For me: 98/100.

2.75/5  rDev -36.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.