2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,576 | Reviews: 354 | Show All Ratings:
CPeterson

4.85/5  rDev +12%

A -- A clear garnet brown brew that pours to a one finger off white head and settles to a thin froth, leaving little lacing.

S --Pungent tones of sour cherry, tart apple, and pronounced acid are dominating.

T --Sharp acid and cherry, juicy apple and extracted grape-like tannin flavors which are then balanced on the back by a nice mellow oak and a hint of vanilla. Very rich and flavorful.

M -- Moderate body and carbonation, with a tannic grip on the tongue that really sticks and makes the beer slightly resinous.

D -- A must try for any self confessed sour fanatic, and a fantastic representation of the style. Amazing.

02-29-2012 03:32:09 | More by CPeterson
fdig23

4.85/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Murky reddish brown

Nose: Pungent over-ripe apple, sour cherry, strawberry, vanilla, and honey, some farm-yard funk. Very vinous.

Taste: Complex and delicious. Juicy apple, sour cherry, sweet honey, oaky vanilla, a bit of hay bale funk. Could identify dozens of flavors in here. Reminiscent of nice Pinot Noir, but more complex and bold.

Mouthfeel: perfectly creamy and carbonated.

One of the most complex, intriguing, and delicious beers I've had. Truly something you could sip on for hours and continuously discover new things. A favorite for sure.

12-15-2012 07:13:12 | More by fdig23
matjack85

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. It was served in a brandy snifter filled to the halfway point, so maybe 10oz worth of beer.

Nice garnet red color with a 1-finger pinkish head that lasted awhile and left decent lacing.

The beer smelled like one of those sweet & sour fruit roll-ups made with a combination of sweet raspberries and sour cherries.

This stuff is sweet, sour, puckering, and delicious. Some red wine grape flavors infuse their way into the sweet raspberry and sour cherry flavors. Then add some additional malt for more sweetness, but balance that out with a hefty dose of that funky Belgian yeast. Not much hop presence. I think they use the tartness and sourness to balance all the sweetness here rather than adding any bitterness. A slight woodiness also works to keep it from being overly sweet.

If you're thinking this might be thick and syrupy, it's not. They found a way to keep it on the thin and refreshing side. Lots of puckering sourness with only moderate carbonation.

This is a delicious Flanders Red that I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing keeping me from having another is its high price tag. At $8/glass I have to consume it as a once in awhile treat rather than an everyday guzzler.

11-15-2010 07:28:30 | More by matjack85
gigaknight

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Purchased 02/09/12 at Binny's in Downers Grove,IL for $21.99. Batch 01.

A- Pours deep cherry red below a very hissy 2 finger enamel white head, which slowly settles into a pleasant film. I suppose the nose suggests that it should look a bit stickier in the lacing, but then again most Flanders Reds I've tried are too dry to leave really beautiful lacing. Nonetheless, this particular example does leave some reasonable legs. Very good considering the style.

S- Robust nose of tart cherries, apple cider vinegar, light caramel, and lemon zest. I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap, and a nicely bowled glass lets it open up very nicely. A bit of musty oak comes out upon sitting, which counters the tart sweetness in the nose nicely.

T- The beer immediately hits the palate with acetic notes of vinegar, followed by lush notes of blackberries, tart cherry, and more of that musty oak resonance to keep the sharpness of the other flavors in check. This is an absolute gobsmacker, but moves across the palate with grace. Finishes dry, but a lingering tartness remains for several moments, making the mouth water.

M- A tongue-puckering tartness is present for much of the sip, but it avoids unpleasantness at the hand of the myriad other flavors in play. This acidity also fades from the palate with reasonable pace, in as much that it won't get in the way of whatever food one might pair it with. Juiciness is derived from the sour notes, and provides good counterpoint to the otherwise dry mouthfeel and fine effervescence. Absolutely delicious.

O- Edging out Monk's Cafe as my favorite Flanders Red, Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge exemplifies the ideal balance in sours of this nature. It's really a treat to have them finally brought around here, and even one beer into the 4 pack, I feel that I got my money's worth out of the somewhat steep price tag.

02-09-2012 20:26:15 | More by gigaknight
vonnegut21

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a deep, reddish brown with two fingers of white head.

S: Tart acidity, sour cherry, vanilla, oak and bready malt.

T: Huge lactic acidity. Bright tart cherry. Vanilla and oak. Supremely tasty. Wow.

M: Effervescent, puckering, pungent. Very drinkable.

O: Far and away the best Flanders Red I've ever had. Expensive at $26 a 4-pack, but completely worth it. My favorite "shelf sour" beer.

01-08-2013 03:55:01 | More by vonnegut21
AJ01923

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, think melted cherry sour patch kids. Great balance between tartness and drinkability.
Pours deep beet red, no lacing and the smell allows you to anticipate the sourness. Your taste buds will be thrown off but in a great way. Great value, will be purchasing more.

03-23-2013 02:22:46 | More by AJ01923
thebigredone

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +11.5%

Wow, can't believe I've missed out on this one for so long.

Pours a deep reddish/purplish brown with a nice two fingers of head.

Smell is of lactic sourness, oak, and red fruits.

Taste is brilliant. Strong sourness, very ripe cherries, and oak. Strong sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is great. Strong acid but very, very smooth.

Overall, I love this beer. One went down way to quickly, I'd love to drink a couple of these at a time.

01-01-2014 19:31:02 | More by thebigredone
Ri0

Wisconsin

4.81/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 11.2oz bottle into Teku.

A - Dark, dirty ruby color with a 1.5 finger off white head. Leaves a small white ring around the glass with no lacing.

S - Tart cherries, sour apple, vanilla, with hints of cocoa and oak.

T - Very intense tartness of stone fruit, green plum, cherry, and sour apple. I pick up the vanilla and oak in the middle. Finishes with a lingering tart sourness. This is pretty sour, with a bit of sweetness to knock it down a bit.

M - Light bodied with excellent carbonation. Mouth puckering finish.

O - This reminds me of New Glarus Enigma, but with much more acidic quality. This is a fantastic Flemish sour and worth the price; $22 a 4 pack.

12-01-2013 20:06:45 | More by Ri0
richcwilliamson

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Had at rfd in dc. Agree with gentleman below:

"It pours a dark red with a white head that dissipates into great lacing.

Smell is dark fruit with a little funk and a hint of vinegar.

Taste is tart and sour, one of the sourest Flanders I have ever had. But it was great! Taste of sour cherries and grapes with a slight funk and vinegar finish. Not so much sweet as sour.

Good smooth mouth feel with an ending that makes you pucker.

This is a very balanced Flemish red, one of the best I have ever had. Great drinkability and flavor left me craving more. A great find if you can get it!"

02-25-2011 22:46:40 | More by richcwilliamson
DavidST

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Found this one in San Antonio during my honeymoon, I'm excited to try it. Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet, code of 03 on the back. This pours a slightly hazy dark brown with hints of read and a smaller fizzy short lived head. The smells are very tart and vinegary, sour cherries, brett, some barnyard funk and a hint of vanilla. The feel is medium, high carbonination. The taste is amazing, extremely tart / sour, almost overwhelming, but then you get a hint of sweet balance, some vanilla, plenty of sour cherries. I wish I bought more of these, this is excellent, one of the finest sours I've had.

12-22-2012 05:49:19 | More by DavidST
JLateralus21

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

I've been craving this beer recently because I moved to New Hampshire and I've found out that the distributors don't sell a large selection of Belgian beers, I drove an hour to Massachusetts to pick up a four pack, and since I went all that way, I figured I might as well review it as well.

This was my first introduction to 'sour' beers, and it still ranks up there as one of my personal favorite beers (of any style).

A: Appearance ranks up there as a 5. It can't get much better. It is a very dark red. Think black cherry. When held up to the light, you can see it is perfectly clear. No haze or sediment. Very very good. Head doesn't linger very long, and small bubbles trickle up from the bottom.

S: You can smell the sourness exploding out of the glass (tulip). I pick up sour cherries, maybe the slight smell of the funkiness from the wild yeast. The one complaint I have for the smell is that it smacks you in the face when you open and pour, yet doesn't last long. I had it set as a perfect 5, and I lowered it half a point for this.

T: For those that are new to the sours, this one, in my opinion, defines the Flanders red style. It is a perfect 5. Initial taste is of sour cherries, you get the lactic acid in the middle, and the end dries your mouth making it want for another sip. Very very good. Leaves nothing to be desired. This finish is very very sour. Almost mouth puckering. A very dry beer. Very little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough for me. Because, as far as the styles go, I have nothing to compare it to. But I just think it could be better, slightly. 4.5/5 is still great, but it just is missing the intangible on the mouthfeel that some beers just have. Can't explain it.

Overall: An excellent beer. For me, it is worth the occasional road trip to pick up a few. One of my favorite sours. This beer started me in the direction of sour over bitterness, in fact, I love sours so much that I recently went to Belgium for a week to try all I could find. If you like this, you will love Gueuze. I believe this beer will open your palate to many more beers, and many more styles.

4.75/5 Outstanding. For me: 98/100.

03-02-2014 23:02:29 | More by JLateralus21
Dracula

New Mexico

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Dark burgundy, nice head with a vigorous pour that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Very lactic, tart cherries, and leathery notes.

T: Amazing. Tart cherries, leather, tart, and sweet. very well balanced.

M: Coats the tongue, the tartness induce salivation which is good.

O: Surprisingly good. I am impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that loves tart wild ales.

03-02-2013 02:00:07 | More by Dracula
recoveringmormon

Vermont

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Mahogany red-brown. Though is says "rouge" it has to be just the right light to get the redness. Minimal to moderate lacing in a round Duvel goblet.

S: Balsamic, oakey, with sweet cherry undertones, but not the overcooked cherries you get in most lambics.

T: Sweet malt vinegar with minimal hop in the finish. The tartest sour I think I have ever found. Delicious.

M: Complex woody sour with a sweet and astringent finish. Cleansing.

Overall: by far my favorite sour and probably my favorite Third Beer whenever I can find it on tap. Get a little tipsy with something else, then sip slowly and enjoy.

07-16-2013 00:27:34 | More by recoveringmormon
dirtylou

Washington

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

on-tap, map room chicago - have had this on tap a number of other times in WI

appearance: served in an unbranded tulip, dark garnet body and a light beige ring, active carbonation

smell: very tart - red wine vinegar, pure sugar, tart cherry and raspberry, oak barrel

taste: really wonderful example of the style - maybe the best really. tart cherries, raspberry, sugar, oak barrel, cider vinegar. Each sip is more stunning than the last - vibrant, tongue buckling, exciting, provocative. very much perfect.

mouthfeel: tart and lively, wonderful.

overall: very very good

05-30-2011 23:14:55 | More by dirtylou
riored4v

Colorado

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured a deep ruby color in to my tulip glass. 1/2 finger, white head that faded quickly to a thin ring on the outside.

Aroma was amazing. Dark fruit, cherry, and a good amount of acidity. Some oak aroma and a light maltyness. A bit of raisen as well.

Sour and tart. Good amount of cherry, prune and dark fruit upfront. Turned a mellow sweetness, then a smack you in the sides/back of your mouth tart/sourness. Good amount of tannins and acidity. Light oak flavors. Clean finish with mild acidity and grape flavors leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium/high carb and a super dry finish.

One of the better/best sours I've had. Great balance of flavors with some nice complexity in the flavors that blend really well.

11-30-2012 00:42:21 | More by riored4v
kazmanbrew

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

First time for this beer. I want disappointed. The pour into a goblet-style vessel was a little flat, just a thin light reddish brown head. The aroma was, however quite nice, a light acid, more fruit...probably cherry or berry:
Mouthfeel was perfect. Effervescent, sharp enough, but not puckering. Taste just great. Perfect balance of acid, richness of raisins and wine.

It's hard to believe I hadn't heard of this fine beer before...although I'm still fairly new to the style.

01-23-2012 03:05:22 | More by kazmanbrew
mikeyv35

Date: 01/23/2012
Type: 11.2oz. Bottle
Vintage: Back Label Had 01, maybe 2001?
Glass: Ommegang Chalice

Pours a very wine-esque ruby red w/ brown mahoghany highlights, w/ a 1/2 finger white head that produces nice sticky lacing. Aromas of cherry, oak, Luden's cherry cough drops(medicinal), and funk. Taste starts off w/ face distorting tart/sour cherry and apple, which leads into oak and a touch of cocoa, and finishes w/ a funky twang. Medium bodied and lush. Great depth of flavors and finishes pretty dry.

Overall, this brew blew me away! Hands down the best Flanders Red I have ever had. Squashes Oude Tart! Also, just found out this brewery helped brew Ommegang Rouge, no wonder it is rated so high. Seek this brew out, it is the real deal.

01-29-2012 18:56:53 | More by mikeyv35
MtnBiker

Oklahoma

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a Flanders goblet from a 33cl bottle. Pours a nice, dark reddish-brown with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Smell is of some sour fruits. The first few sips are almost like sucking on a lime it's so sour! Tastes like sour cherries and green apples, delicious! Great carbonation. This is in my book one of the best sours out there. Definitely the best I've had.

12-29-2012 01:53:31 | More by MtnBiker
rmp5262

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

First time reviewing a sour ale.
Poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a dark red color almost brown. It is possible that I poured too aggressively at the end because I was able to get about 1.5 fingers of head. The head went away very quickly and left a thin layer on the top.

S- Smells very sour, after pouring I walked away to prepare some Dubliner cheese and was smacked in the face by the smell when walking by. Noticed sour apple and grape juice, very faint hint of a good red wine.

T- Definitely tart, but not all that sour. From the smell I was bracing myself for more, but I am not in the slightest disappointed.

M- Light carbonation (keeping in mind I poured more aggressive)

O- This is a fantastic sour ale, I was having a difficult time putting the beer down while writing the review.

05-28-2013 16:32:50 | More by rmp5262
titty_mcbitty

4.74/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a beautiful dark dark reddish-brown with foggy ruby tones when held up to the light. Not much head, but that's okay. It is a very good looking beer.

S: Sourness or tartness, cherries, sugar, maybe some vanilla as well.

T: Best part... tart cherries and plums dominate. Vinegar and acid next. Cream, wood, vanilla, kind of an oak-y character, yeast, strawberries, syrup, maple, nuts, and blush wine. This is damn good.

M: Medium-light with a good amount of carb. Pleasant creamy feeling. This is a perfect mouth feel for this beer- I wouldn't have it any other way.

O: This is a perfect Flanders Red and I recommend it to everyone who can get it. The price may look daunting, but it's worth it and relatively cheap for an aged beer like this one.

12-29-2013 04:33:46 | More by titty_mcbitty
WynnO

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer's appearance is what you expect for the style--dark brown, reddish. The smell is like old fruit that's gone sour. It prepares you for what's coming :-)

The initial taste is *quite intense*, knocking me a little harder than others in this class. I must admit a love for flagellation from Flanders Red's though, and this one does not disappoint. This seems a slightly bigger beer than its Belgian brothers (Rodenbach, Duchesse) only because the palette doesn't take to it as quick; the last drink from the glass still had a great sour kick to it.

It is a bit bubbly on the tongue but not overwhelmingly so. The beer is well balanced and dry, although I must say, this one wants to make sure that the drinker does not forget what it is!

Near perfection to this reviewer. I cannot wait (but I must) to drink the remaining two in my stock.

11-19-2012 04:33:07 | More by WynnO
BradC

4.73/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Deep reddish hues in a tulip glass with a very thin head, almost rouge..

Smells of sour cherries, slight vinegar smell,

Way sour here, tastes of tart cherries, sour lemons, some oakiness, light vanilla and sour!

High carbonation, light body and easy drinking. The carbonation adds to the tartness in the finish.

I've been gaining more and more appreciation of sours and this has to be one of the best I've had yet!

02-17-2014 00:36:21 | More by BradC
UpToMeBeer

Colorado

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on-tap at Fresh Craft in Denver.

A-- Dark rosy & brownish in color. Foamy head of about one-finger; it fades slowly with minimal to moderate amount of lacing.

S-- Tart fruit - apple, cherry, and berries.

T-- tart sour fruits-- cherry dominant with a hint of plumb. Semi-sweet. Long tart fruity finish.

M-- medium-bodied, mouth puckering, just the right amount of carbonation.

I like my sours on the extreme side, and this beer definitely delivers! I only had one glass. Not sure I would want more than that in one session. I feel like a little goes a long way, but I sure do enjoy a little!

06-13-2011 00:18:14 | More by UpToMeBeer
Asher1982

Maryland

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just had this on draft at Always Ron's in Hagerstown, MD. The beer had a very nice bronzy red color with a nice opaque head. You could tell from the smell that this beer was going to make you pucker in a good way. The taste was everything I hoped it would be. The sourness was immediately apparent but their were some other nice notes of dark fruit and fresh bread. It had a very nice carbonation in the mouth that made it feel very refreshing despite the beautiful tartness. If you dig sour beers, this is one to drink.

07-15-2011 22:42:47 | More by Asher1982
Stinkypuss

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge
Brouwerij Bockor

Appearance: A beautiful Flemish red color, poured vigorously leaves a sturdy creamy head that fades. Some lace clings to the side and effervescent carbonation is rising to the top.

Smell: Rich aroma of wild yeasts, chocolates, cherry, ripe stone fruit, lemon, apple, musty basement and faint apple cider vinegar.

Taste: Wholeheartedly sour. Layers of sour. Sharp sourness like biting an unripe lemon, giving way to a sour apple tartness and vinegar tones following. Cherry, young raspberry pits and even chocolate flavors emerge. There is a subtle candy sugar sweetness. Dry oaky tannins last in an elegant finish with plenty of sourness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated. Drying. Pretty much puckering sour, and in the best possible way.

Overall: About as perfect example of the traditional red ales in Flanders as you will ever find. Sip and savor this one.

01-23-2012 05:30:14 | More by Stinkypuss
Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.