Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Ratings: 2,483 | Reviews: 465
4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Purchased 02/09/12 at Binny's in Downers Grove,IL for $21.99. Batch 01.

A- Pours deep cherry red below a very hissy 2 finger enamel white head, which slowly settles into a pleasant film. I suppose the nose suggests that it should look a bit stickier in the lacing, but then again most Flanders Reds I've tried are too dry to leave really beautiful lacing. Nonetheless, this particular example does leave some reasonable legs. Very good considering the style.

S- Robust nose of tart cherries, apple cider vinegar, light caramel, and lemon zest. I could smell this beer as soon as I popped the cap, and a nicely bowled glass lets it open up very nicely. A bit of musty oak comes out upon sitting, which counters the tart sweetness in the nose nicely.

T- The beer immediately hits the palate with acetic notes of vinegar, followed by lush notes of blackberries, tart cherry, and more of that musty oak resonance to keep the sharpness of the other flavors in check. This is an absolute gobsmacker, but moves across the palate with grace. Finishes dry, but a lingering tartness remains for several moments, making the mouth water.

M- A tongue-puckering tartness is present for much of the sip, but it avoids unpleasantness at the hand of the myriad other flavors in play. This acidity also fades from the palate with reasonable pace, in as much that it won't get in the way of whatever food one might pair it with. Juiciness is derived from the sour notes, and provides good counterpoint to the otherwise dry mouthfeel and fine effervescence. Absolutely delicious.

O- Edging out Monk's Cafe as my favorite Flanders Red, Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge exemplifies the ideal balance in sours of this nature. It's really a treat to have them finally brought around here, and even one beer into the 4 pack, I feel that I got my money's worth out of the somewhat steep price tag.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Freshly tapped keg, poured into a Jacobins snifter, different logo than the one on the new tap handle. (Might need to hold onto this collector's item?)

Deep garnet hue, dusky crimson, with a slim, slightly pinkish head, like puree of raspberry.

Aromatics leap out of the glass and run around the room. Sweet and sour dance around each other in kind of tart tarantella, raspberry, sour cherry, and grape and assorted other dark stone fruit mix it with the intoxicating otherworldly Belgian yeast funk. Little sweet, little sour, little funk, little fruit.

Taste: Here it boards the palate with pistols blazing, barrels are spilled over in a terrific melee, invaders pounce on the taste buds with ferocity. Fruit and bold tart flavors make their mark and spread deliciousness and refreshment far and wide, up and down, in and out. Medium body, adequate malt, wondrous oak effect, fantastic belgian flavor.

I could empty the dictionary in further attempts to outline the exact over-pouring of tastes encounter and experience felt upon the senses, but let us make it simple, shall we?
Sharp. Tart. Zesty. Fresh. Inviting. Refreshing. Vibrant. Puckering. Uninhibited. Un-compromised. Full expression of the Flanders Red style. Impossible to find a flaw.

Fruit flavor lingers long on the palate, finish is near interminable. Won't quit, hangs hard in the mouth, but you don't want it to leave. The berries are never gone, tartness never flags. If you can't get it sour enough, here's your beer.

This is a satisfying Red indeed, one that begs more and more consumption, if your pocketbook is fat enough.
Could be wilder, wickeder, but then it wouldn't be this. And this is fine, fine stuff.
I'm on snifter #2 as we type. This stuff is truly irresistible.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Mahogany red-brown. Though is says "rouge" it has to be just the right light to get the redness. Minimal to moderate lacing in a round Duvel goblet.

S: Balsamic, oakey, with sweet cherry undertones, but not the overcooked cherries you get in most lambics.

T: Sweet malt vinegar with minimal hop in the finish. The tartest sour I think I have ever found. Delicious.

M: Complex woody sour with a sweet and astringent finish. Cleansing.

Overall: by far my favorite sour and probably my favorite Third Beer whenever I can find it on tap. Get a little tipsy with something else, then sip slowly and enjoy.

4.8/5  rDev +10.9%

Wow, can't believe I've missed out on this one for so long.

Pours a deep reddish/purplish brown with a nice two fingers of head.

Smell is of lactic sourness, oak, and red fruits.

Taste is brilliant. Strong sourness, very ripe cherries, and oak. Strong sourness as well.

Mouthfeel is great. Strong acid but very, very smooth.

Overall, I love this beer. One went down way to quickly, I'd love to drink a couple of these at a time.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. It was served in a brandy snifter filled to the halfway point, so maybe 10oz worth of beer.

Nice garnet red color with a 1-finger pinkish head that lasted awhile and left decent lacing.

The beer smelled like one of those sweet & sour fruit roll-ups made with a combination of sweet raspberries and sour cherries.

This stuff is sweet, sour, puckering, and delicious. Some red wine grape flavors infuse their way into the sweet raspberry and sour cherry flavors. Then add some additional malt for more sweetness, but balance that out with a hefty dose of that funky Belgian yeast. Not much hop presence. I think they use the tartness and sourness to balance all the sweetness here rather than adding any bitterness. A slight woodiness also works to keep it from being overly sweet.

If you're thinking this might be thick and syrupy, it's not. They found a way to keep it on the thin and refreshing side. Lots of puckering sourness with only moderate carbonation.

This is a delicious Flanders Red that I thoroughly enjoyed. The only thing keeping me from having another is its high price tag. At $8/glass I have to consume it as a once in awhile treat rather than an everyday guzzler.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 11.2oz bottle into Teku.

A - Dark, dirty ruby color with a 1.5 finger off white head. Leaves a small white ring around the glass with no lacing.

S - Tart cherries, sour apple, vanilla, with hints of cocoa and oak.

T - Very intense tartness of stone fruit, green plum, cherry, and sour apple. I pick up the vanilla and oak in the middle. Finishes with a lingering tart sourness. This is pretty sour, with a bit of sweetness to knock it down a bit.

M - Light bodied with excellent carbonation. Mouth puckering finish.

O - This reminds me of New Glarus Enigma, but with much more acidic quality. This is a fantastic Flemish sour and worth the price; $22 a 4 pack.

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sour at the front end with fruit, mainly cherries, on the back end. Funk is mild. Pleasant sour no doubt. Malts, fruitiness, oak and similar to Surly Pentagram, but lighter. Not to forget to mention the best taste of all - TART, very nice!

4.79/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Dark burgundy, nice head with a vigorous pour that dissipated quickly. Not much lacing.

S: Very lactic, tart cherries, and leathery notes.

T: Amazing. Tart cherries, leather, tart, and sweet. very well balanced.

M: Coats the tongue, the tartness induce salivation which is good.

O: Surprisingly good. I am impressed. I would recommend this to anyone that loves tart wild ales.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark reddish brown with moderate, long lasting head. Sour cherries with vanilla notes, slightly sweet with a strong tart finish. So much like the Monks Flemish Sour Ale in taste and appearance, I wonder if they are not in fact of the same style instead of being classified as an Oud Bruin.

4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

I've been craving this beer recently because I moved to New Hampshire and I've found out that the distributors don't sell a large selection of Belgian beers, I drove an hour to Massachusetts to pick up a four pack, and since I went all that way, I figured I might as well review it as well.

This was my first introduction to 'sour' beers, and it still ranks up there as one of my personal favorite beers (of any style).

A: Appearance ranks up there as a 5. It can't get much better. It is a very dark red. Think black cherry. When held up to the light, you can see it is perfectly clear. No haze or sediment. Very very good. Head doesn't linger very long, and small bubbles trickle up from the bottom.

S: You can smell the sourness exploding out of the glass (tulip). I pick up sour cherries, maybe the slight smell of the funkiness from the wild yeast. The one complaint I have for the smell is that it smacks you in the face when you open and pour, yet doesn't last long. I had it set as a perfect 5, and I lowered it half a point for this.

T: For those that are new to the sours, this one, in my opinion, defines the Flanders red style. It is a perfect 5. Initial taste is of sour cherries, you get the lactic acid in the middle, and the end dries your mouth making it want for another sip. Very very good. Leaves nothing to be desired. This finish is very very sour. Almost mouth puckering. A very dry beer. Very little sweetness if any.

Mouthfeel: This one is tough for me. Because, as far as the styles go, I have nothing to compare it to. But I just think it could be better, slightly. 4.5/5 is still great, but it just is missing the intangible on the mouthfeel that some beers just have. Can't explain it.

Overall: An excellent beer. For me, it is worth the occasional road trip to pick up a few. One of my favorite sours. This beer started me in the direction of sour over bitterness, in fact, I love sours so much that I recently went to Belgium for a week to try all I could find. If you like this, you will love Gueuze. I believe this beer will open your palate to many more beers, and many more styles.

4.75/5 Outstanding. For me: 98/100.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Garnet with moderate tan head. Medium thickness.

S: Moderate sour cherry, light berry.

T: Strong cherry flavor with moderate wild yeast, accompanied a moderate taste of other berries. Two thirds sour and one third sweet.

M: Medium viscosity and carbonation that complement the wild cherry flavor quite nicely.

O: If Wild Cherry Pepsi grew up from a quirky teenager into an eccentric mad scientist, this would be the result. Delightfully flavorful beverage that masterfully covers its alcoholic notes with bold essence of wild cherry and berry. Extremely refreshing.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 330 into a tulip.

A: a deep red with a copper cast. One finger, beige (too common? Taupe? Cafe au lait?) head that dropped pretty fast.

S: lovely lactic, cherry sour aroma. A real preview of what is to come.

T: as advertised by the aroma. Sour cherry right in the gate, and it holds through the finish. Some spice. Hop, malt, and yeast profiles muted by the sour cherry. No real alcohol perceived at all in the finish.

M: I don't know if this is a "thing" but it it felt fairly light bodied at first, but a bit of sticky held on in the finish making me rethink the overall mouthfeel. Says "full bodied" on the bottle, but .... I could be influenced by West Coast IPA's and Cabs.

O: this direct sour was what I was in the mood for and it nailed it. It is a Flemish Sour, unlike some adult cherry soda's I've had from other breweries (and brouwerij's). Will revisit. Perhaps often.

4.77/5  rDev +10.2%

Found this one in San Antonio during my honeymoon, I'm excited to try it. Poured from a 33cl bottle into a goblet, code of 03 on the back. This pours a slightly hazy dark brown with hints of read and a smaller fizzy short lived head. The smells are very tart and vinegary, sour cherries, brett, some barnyard funk and a hint of vanilla. The feel is medium, high carbonination. The taste is amazing, extremely tart / sour, almost overwhelming, but then you get a hint of sweet balance, some vanilla, plenty of sour cherries. I wish I bought more of these, this is excellent, one of the finest sours I've had.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 300 ml bottle into a goblet. Dated 04 14 printed on the label.

Pours a beautiful ruby red with a 2-2.5 inch head that holds strong
For about 40 seconds. Head retention is surprising for a beer of this style. Very minimal lacing present around the glass.

Smells of sour cherries, lacto, and Belgian yeast. Pretty serious sour nose on this brew! Makes my mouth water just smelling it.

Tastes tart up front with a cherry finish. Lots of lacto present all throughout with an awesome cherry profile. Need the best Flemish reds I have ever tasted.

Slick on the tongue with a sweetness that turns to tart very quickly. Sweetness is detected when you lick your lips. Minimal carbonation is present but just a bit of prickliness on the tongue. Quite pleasant.

Overall one of the top 10 Flemish reds I've tasted. With an awesome nose and even better flavor, this brew is super delicious and super drinkable at 5.5%. Definitely one that you need to pick up and try!

Cheers!

4.76/5  rDev +9.9%

Had at rfd in dc. Agree with gentleman below:

"It pours a dark red with a white head that dissipates into great lacing.

Smell is dark fruit with a little funk and a hint of vinegar.

Taste is tart and sour, one of the sourest Flanders I have ever had. But it was great! Taste of sour cherries and grapes with a slight funk and vinegar finish. Not so much sweet as sour.

Good smooth mouth feel with an ending that makes you pucker.

This is a very balanced Flemish red, one of the best I have ever had. Great drinkability and flavor left me craving more. A great find if you can get it!"

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

big sour smack, blended complexity, tangy finish leaving you wanting more. The best sour I have ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

on-tap, map room chicago - have had this on tap a number of other times in WI

appearance: served in an unbranded tulip, dark garnet body and a light beige ring, active carbonation

smell: very tart - red wine vinegar, pure sugar, tart cherry and raspberry, oak barrel

taste: really wonderful example of the style - maybe the best really. tart cherries, raspberry, sugar, oak barrel, cider vinegar. Each sip is more stunning than the last - vibrant, tongue buckling, exciting, provocative. very much perfect.

mouthfeel: tart and lively, wonderful.

overall: very very good

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Deliciously sour and bright. Apple and fruity flavors with a crisp finish. Im a huge sour fan and this is one of my favorites.

A: browny-red
S: lovely, tight, full sour cherry
T: delicious! very nice tang, great balance, very long balanced cohesive taste. Lots of flavours that come together beautifully. Sour is definitely there but it supports all the cherry flavour not overpowers.Each sip invites another. The 5.5% alcohol level is perfect.
M: medium bodied.
O: love it. A wonderful balanced full-flavoured beer that doesn't go over the top.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a deep ruby color in to my tulip glass. 1/2 finger, white head that faded quickly to a thin ring on the outside.

Aroma was amazing. Dark fruit, cherry, and a good amount of acidity. Some oak aroma and a light maltyness. A bit of raisen as well.

Sour and tart. Good amount of cherry, prune and dark fruit upfront. Turned a mellow sweetness, then a smack you in the sides/back of your mouth tart/sourness. Good amount of tannins and acidity. Light oak flavors. Clean finish with mild acidity and grape flavors leaves you wanting more.

Mouthfeel was medium body, medium/high carb and a super dry finish.

One of the better/best sours I've had. Great balance of flavors with some nice complexity in the flavors that blend really well.

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge
Brouwerij Bockor

Appearance: A beautiful Flemish red color, poured vigorously leaves a sturdy creamy head that fades. Some lace clings to the side and effervescent carbonation is rising to the top.

Smell: Rich aroma of wild yeasts, chocolates, cherry, ripe stone fruit, lemon, apple, musty basement and faint apple cider vinegar.

Taste: Wholeheartedly sour. Layers of sour. Sharp sourness like biting an unripe lemon, giving way to a sour apple tartness and vinegar tones following. Cherry, young raspberry pits and even chocolate flavors emerge. There is a subtle candy sugar sweetness. Dry oaky tannins last in an elegant finish with plenty of sourness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated. Drying. Pretty much puckering sour, and in the best possible way.

Overall: About as perfect example of the traditional red ales in Flanders as you will ever find. Sip and savor this one.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Cuvee des Jacobins is right up there with the bug guys. When I try a Flanders Red Ale I am forced to compare to Duchese de Bourgogne.

With that in mind, this Red Ale offers a slight variation of tartness to the beer with exceptional quality and drinkability.
A - Brownish, mahogany, deep red with light tan head.
S - Not too much funk with dark fruit aroma.
T - Everything you want a Flanders Red Ale to be. Bucket list, try this on tap or at the brewery.
M - Moderate to bigger carbonation, bubbly tart fruity goodness. Coats the tongue.
O - WHen i go to the liquor store and nothing catches my eye I always leave with this 4 pack.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

I have no complaints with this beer, this is a very delicious Flanders red. Very tart and dry, the cherry(skin) flavors are not medicinal at all. Just a hint of sweetness is present which keeps things a little balanced.

This beer is awesome, totally refreshing and highly drinkable. Grab this if you see it.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Everything a Sour is suppose to be, in my estimation. Great tartness that lasted to the last sip. Nice Cherry flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +9.7%

Certainly the best sour I have had to date outside of Grand Cru. Amazing appearance, balance, taste and mouthfeel. Just the right tartness. Will definitely be in my go to list.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.