Join our email list →

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V.
Belgium | website

Flanders Red Ale | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Reviews: 458 | Hads: 2,652
4.87/5  rDev +13.5%

From bottle, batch no. 2 on the back.

Pretty red color with a nice head that sticks around

Smells sooo good, so very sour, lots of vinegar and red fruits

tastes amazing, like it smells, but double

Mouthfeel is perfect to me for a sour, I'd be tasting it on my teeth the next morning if i didn't brush

This is a fantastic sour to me, probably the best I've ever had, but I've not had the chance to have any RR or that crazy stuff people go nuts on here for, whats it called, candle poon? I don't know. This stuff is amazing to me. I'd drink it every day if I could.

3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Pored from a 11.2oz bottle into a tulip.

A: pours a deep brown with dark red, about half a finger of lightly brown head that fades into a film that stocks around.

S: sour cherry and oak with a backbone aroma of sweet red vinegar aroma that reminds me of ketchup. As this brew warms I feel the vinegar becomes more and more pronounced.

T: much like the nose, I get a very plleasing tart cherry flavor with a hint of sour raspberry over a sweet red wine vinegar backbone, which again, to me, is very reminiscent of ketchup, it does have a nice tartness, bit i feel like there is a sweetness that overshadows it a bit.

M: medium body with medium carbonation, this brew is nice and lush and creamy, a very nice mouthfeel for the style, that leavs a bit of a sweet lingering sourness on the palate.

O: not my favorite sour, it reminds me of ketchup, bit do far everyone I have told this looks at me like I have three heads, I don't know what it is, I think it is a combination of the sweetness and the vinegar notes that just seay my palate that way. I wish the sour fruit notes took more of the drivers seat, but I seem to be an acception to the rule. @ least in the circle of people I imbibe sour beers with.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

A-Nice reddish brown with very little head.

S-Sour (duh) with some cherry and...maybe some cedar. Surprising to smell alcohol, too for the ABV.

T-Tart (even for a sour) with pretty complex fruits and a long, pleasing finish. I don't get the cedar that I noted on the nose, however. I get some oak, instead.

M-Smooth, a little syrupy.

O-I like. If you're into sours, I can safely suggest this.

3.97/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Not quite a finger of light tan head with larger bubbles. Body is a deep red and amber color. Almost cola like.

S - Super sour and sweet. Very strong. Cherries, strawberries, and raspberries. Only slight green berry aroma.

T - A strong sweet and sour mix. Well balanced but a bit over the top on both. Just like the aroma, strawberries, cherries, and raspberries. Lemon.

M - Punishes the tongue with acidity. Good carbonation and overall mouthfeel.

O - A nice sweet/sour beer. Lots of fruit/berries.

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a murky reddish-brown with a slight ivory head that fades to a thin ring. Lovely aromas of cranberry, tart pie cherries, oak, red wine vinegar, and a touch of vanilla. Taste is similar to the nose, lots of cranberry, oak, and vanilla. Not as tart as the nose may have suggested, instead this is gentle and smooth, with a superb balance between tart and sweet. Expertly done. Mouthfeel is light and dry, with a medium body and ample carbonation. Overall an excellent Flanders Red, this stand up with some of the best easily.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Crimson, murky, with a thin off-white head that retains a bit with little lacing.

S/T - Beautiful. Sour cherries dominate up front, then notes from the barrel balance it out as it warms. Oak, touch of chocolate, vanilla, finishes sour with cherries and vinegar.

M - Medium body, delicate carbonation keeps a thick creamy consistency, finishes somewhat dry with lasting sourness.

O - Delicious. Of course I'll get it again.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a bottle on 6/29/12

Pour: Deep clear burgundy, like a deep red wine. Not much head.

Smell: Berry and some funk. Also got a little bit of woodiness.

Taste: Sour cherries right away. Nice and tart. Acidic vinergar. Slightest hay funk at the end.

Mouthfeel: Acidic and good carbonation prickles the tongue. Very refreshing and crisp.

Overall: Really great, and love the availability.

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at the Liberty Tap Room. Review from notes.

A: Pours a brownish/red with a small off-white head, minimal retention and lacing.

S: Fantastic aroma, lots of tart cherry and some grape. There is some other red and stone fruits mixed in There is a little bit of oak and light funky. The aroma is a bit vinegary, but very inviting.

S: Surprisingly tart and acidic, even for a flanders red, which instantly made me a big fan. Fantastic cherry flavor along with a little bit of grape and a bit of oak.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The beer is certainly on the sour end, mouth puckering.

O: One of the best flanders red ales I have had thus far. Certainly picking some up when I see it.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%

First of all cool bottle. Secondly I’m excited to just drink this one because I’ve already had a sip and wow.

Held up to my window this beer shines a mahogany-red color; a small, slightly off white cap with tiny bubbles sticks to the surface. Cherries, vinous, astringent, it really does a number on the nose if you want it to. Sweet, sour, and very smooth. Cherry juice and a sweet background – apple pie maybe …it’s just delicious. Dry but not as dry gueze or etc. and it’s awesome.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Color of maduro tobacco backlit with garnet. Decent head fades to cream-colored ring. Decent splotchy lace. The aroma is apple cider, tart cherries, leather, and neutral wood.

Taste is very much the same, with more of the tart dark fruit and less of the earthy components. Some brown sugar and vinous elements as well. Brett character emerges as it warms. Definitely not a "beginner beer" as far as sourness is concerned. It dominates the mouth as soon as it's swallowed, and lingers forever. If not for the residual sugar, the mouth-puckering element would be on par with that of a gueuze.

Lighter in body with lively carbonation that helps fill the mouth. Overall an outstanding Flanders. Not one of my favorite styles, but I will be picking up a single of this every once in a while.

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tall De Struise glass.

Pours a beautiful orange tinged red and fluffy off-white head. The beer is transparent so you can see the glass just filled with bubbles. Great head retention(even though I drank it fairly quickly) and lacing going on.

Lots of vinegar, cherry, oak and a slight earthyiness going on.

After the first sip your mouth floods with saliva after tasting that sourness. Hits your palate with a lovely level of tartness. Acidic/vinegar quality. Quite fruity with cherry and apple. The oak barrel flavor and vanilla tends to pop more in the back end. It’s got a touch of sweetness.

Medium body with ample carbonation. Even though my mouth floods with saliva after taking a sip there is some drying going on.

A straight up classic.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Ruby tinted brown with a quickly disappaiting head.

S- Loads of barrel and yeast. Some rhubarb and cherry aromatics as well.

T- Puckering sour with loads of acid. Like drinking the first cherries of the season harvested two weeks early.

M- High in acid, so plenty of brightness and drying fresh textures. Weightless in the mouth.

O- A delicious Flanders red. You have to appreciate drying acids and funky yeast to love this one as it is loaded with intensity on the palate.

4.19/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Pours with half a finger of tan foam on top of a perfectly clear, amber brown body. The head settles rapidly and leaves only traces of lace on the glass.

S - A strongly acidic aroma with notes of balsamic vinegar, molasses, and dark cherries.

T - Strong acidity up front with some black cherry notes. Dark caramel appears in the middle and lends some sweetness to the beer as it finishes with notes of vanilla, oak, and complex sweet/sour balsamic notes.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a somewhat sweet finish.

D - This is a classic Flemmish red with a complex balance between the sweet/fruity and sour/funky notes. Nicely done and reasonably drinkable despite a strong level of sourness.

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance- dark rich brownish red with little head. Lots of tiny champagne bubbles.

Smell- smells tart and woody. I get way more wood on the nose than in the taste.

Taste- puckering awesome sourness! Besides that the main thing I get is apple and a little unripe plum in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- medium body with great carbonation.

Overall- this is my favorite example of the style. I love how it starts sour pretends it is going to sweeten but doesn't before leaving with a dry finish. My only complaint is the $6 for a 11.2 oz bottle but it doesn't stop me from semi regularly buying one or two.

On tap at Draught House

A: Deep ruby and nearly opaque. Off-white head with
medium lacing.

S: Sour cherry, cranberry, apple cider vinegar

T: Sour cherry dominates. Definitely towards the sour end of
the spectrum for the style.

M: Medium carbonation adds to the sourness, but is
tempered by a medium body.

O: One of my favorite versions of the style. Very happy to
find it on tap.

3.98/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a very deep red, bordering on brown. Very clear. Little head that dissapates quickly.

Sour cherry, vanilla, and some deep malty tones on the nose. Smells sour, if that makes any kind of sense.

Very tart. Cranberries, sour cherries, lemon, vanilla, a bit of malt vinegar. Katey says it reminds her of the French 75 cocktail.

Medium bodied, fairly light carbonation.

A good beer that fits the style well. A bit more sour than I prefer, but still damn tasty.

4.09/5  rDev -4.7%

Cap head on a dark red body. Collar.

Woo! That's tart! Cherries.

Not nearly as sour as the smell would indicated. Slight sweet Barbeque sauce? Yum.

Medium mouthfeel. Mid to mid-low carbonation.

Liked this one a lot. Yeah for whatever reason I gett BBQ out of it so it's a winner automatically. Perfect amount of tart. Thanks egrace84,

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Similar to Russian River consecration but slightly less sour. Medium brown to burgundy in. color, slightly carbonated with a head that disappears quickly, medium in body with slight acidity. Overall a well balanced and very refreshing beer. Serve after a few minutes out of the cooler.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – Pours a dark clear ruby red with a medium light head and medium lacing.

Smell – Sour cherries, oak, a bit of vinegar (pleasant), and funk.

Taste – Sour cherry, with a hint of sweetness to balance it out.

Mouthfeel – A light medium body, with a sour pucker. A champagne like carbonation.

Drinkability – A very good sour. Goes down very easily, though it is only 5.5%.

4.12/5  rDev -4%

11.2 fl. oz bottle poured into a pilsner style glass.

A: A very clear brick-red. Head is minimal during the pour, but it does retain quite well after the fact.

S: Traces of berry, vanilla, oak (something sweet and woody?). Lots of lemon, or something else quite tart.

T: Very tart. Reminds me of a tart white wine. Some nice sweetness up in front; strawberry-ish. A little bit of bitterness to round things off. Sour cherries.

M: Smooth. Makes the entire mouth tingle. The sourness disappears to nothing quickly.

O: An interesting beer. My knowledge of sours is minimal, so this was a learning experience. I appreciate the sweetness to counteract the sourness, because this guy is VERY sour. A beer to relax to.

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%

Damn Gina! Girl, that's all you had to say! Ok, so this beer was the shit. It's really a Flanders Brune in my humble opinion but it was strong and delicious. I would have guessed higher alcohol because of the complex richness of the beer. Color of this is reddish Brown, not brownish red. Very nice sour, if you're into that sort of thang.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

I'm fairly new to the sour beers and I have to say I'm a big fan. From my understanding this is a Flanders Red Ale and it definitely looks the part. Once poured it has a small head but releases enough aroma to smell the sour notes.

First taste has a nice sour note but not too much to make your mouth pucker. After that it has a nice body and overall great cherry like flavor. Very smooth and very easy to drink.

If you're a fan of sours and have never tried this one do not pass it up. You won't be disappointed at all. At $6 for an 11.2 oz bottle in my area it's not too expensive but I could definitely could go broke drinking this beer. However if you're not a fan of sours I would steer clear of this one because it has a lot of sour notes to it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.8%

Maybe my 2nd Flemish red. Just wow. Where have you been all my life?

Appearance: Deep red maybe even some brown. A tad bit of lacing.

Smell: Cherries and oak. Maybe Apples? Says so on the bottle but I probably couldn't pick them out if I had not read it. Very pleasant smell overall.

Taste: As expected, very tart with the sour and acid slapping your taste buds around. Cherries right off the bat then a little of the oak and then a heck of a tart finish. Just what its supposed to be I guess. Just phenomenal.

Overall: I'm new to the sour, Flemish red style but I am enjoying this more than I thought I would. Very high marks and I can't wait to try the Duchess I have.

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

EDIT: This is the first bottle of a 4-pack, the remaining three will be cellared for one, two, and three years. No bottle date, only a single "2" stamped on the back.

From a 11.2 oz bottle into my Darkness snifter. Pours the classic deep reddish brown, crimson hues when held to light. Good clarity. One finger, eggshell-white head dissipates quickly with a small amount of lacing.

Funk, cherries, apple peel, oak, some more funk. More funky then sour in the nose.

Tart cherries and apple flavors upfront. There is some vanilla/oak that build in the middle. Some vinegar and a bit of wet hay in the near finish. Rounded out by more tart fruits. Finishes clean.

Medium-light in body. Moderate levels of effervescent carbonation help lift it off the tongue. Super dry finish.

Overall this is a really nice sour. Not super mouth-puckering, with a nice depth in character. The barrel aging lends its flavors nicely. I'm excited to see how this one develops or degrades over the years.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a ruby color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was a small amount of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Average lacing.

S: From the moment you open the bottle there's a huge, fruity, sour aroma. Very alluring.

T: Tasted of cherries, other light fruits, vinegar, and a hint of malt in the finish. A tart, sour, powerful, balanced and tasty beer. Very well done flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, yet prickly finish. Medium-bodied.

O: An excellent example of a sour beer. Drinkable and well made.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.