Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Reviews: 440 | Hads: 2,563
3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

Imbibed on tap at Rose & Crown on 3/30/2012.

Poured a clear dark ruby red, nearly brown with a thick head that sticks to the glass a little. Sweet then sour cranberry, strawberry, and raspberry aroma. Some dark/brown malt in there too. Taste starts out mouth puckeringly sour. Lots of cranberry with other juicy berries as described in aroma, with the addition of blueberry in taste. Tart to bitter ending. Cranberry through and through. Pretty watery and dry in feel, which is kinda good in my opinion, otherwise it might be too one dimensional.

This really reminded me quite a bit of Duchess, but more fruity. I thought Duchess was the fruitiest Flanders Red, but this one takes the cake. I think I'd rather have something that doesn't taste so fruit juice-ish, and more beer-ish to be honest. It was interesting, but maybe a bit young. I know the alcohol content suggests it shouldn't be aged, but I'd like to see what happens to this beer in a year or two. I'm thinking the sweet juice flavors might take a backseat to some other complexities that would develop. (1,069 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard this was a darned good sour... so I had to pick up a bottle when I saw one at Lone Star. Glad I did, this is good stuff! Served in a Ommegang chalice because all of my other beer glasses are dirty.

Pours with a deep ruby body that is slightly tainted by a dirty, dark brown. Forms a light tan head that has nice bubble sizing, but doesn't last long. Decent enough, but not spectacular.

This beer is fantastically well rounded. Nothing knocks me over the head, but I really like every bit of it. The tartness is sharp, but not huge. The main flavor is a real cherry that plays well with that medium tartness. There's an oak bite and a bit of vanilla in the sip. Occasionally, I get a sweet apple bite at the end of the sip. There's also a slight hint of balsamic vinegar in the background, but it only comes forth when I want to find it. Perfect vinegar depth. All of the flavor facets come wrapped in a very well weighted fluid package.

This bottle was a bit pricey, but I'd definitely go back to it again. The Jacobins is not as bold as a La Folie, but the flavors are much more balanced and subtle. Very solid beer. (1,126 characters)

A very tasty Flemish red. I’d buy this more often if not for the high price tag which makes it a once-in-a-while treat. The body is deep red, with a small red-tinted head that settles down quickly; lacing is spotty and a little soapy looking. The aroma is tart and sour, funky and fruity, touches of oak and light vinegar, vaguely sweet. Cherry is the predominant fruit note in both the smell and taste. Good sourness, some puckering, this will most likely seem strong to novice sour-drinkers but fairly average in intensity to the more experienced. Again, the flavors are complex as the aroma, with a nice touch of woody oak tannins, restrained cider vinegar, tart cherries, sour apples, raspberries, red wine, brown sugar. Sweet and sour aspects are well balanced.

Body is well carbonated and medium to a little thin. Crisp and clean finishing, very refreshing, and an excellent accompaniment to food that needs a little cutting through; rich cheeses, spicy asian cuisines, etc. (984 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a small snifter. Fits the 11.2oz bottle perfectly. Pours a deep garnet red. Fairly clear. Light tan head dissipated fast to nothing. You can see bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries and raspberries with a little bit of barn yard funk and some red wine sort of merlot characters going on. Smells great.

Taste is great. Not much flavor in the start but as you swallow a bit of tart cherries hits your tongue then the sourness takes over and then some more cherry and some chocolate/dark fruits and then a bit of funk. Very tasty and complex beer. Not a lot of the balsamic you get from other Flanders.

Mouthfeel is great for a sour. I prefer a bit more dry but it's great for a Flanders which is usually a bit more malty.

Overall maybe my fav Flanders red. I typically dont like the style because of the maltyness but this one is great because it's more dry. I'll be getting this one in the future for sure. (936 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

On draft at The Toronado.

Around a 4 oz pour into a small wine glass. Body is translucent red, topped by a thin layer of off-white foam.

Smells sour, mainly of fresh cherries, with notes of wood and vanilla. Fresh and complex.

Tastes of fresh cherries, nicely tart--just a touch of acetic acid. Notes of wood and vanilla. A little yeast funkiness. This is a wonderful and subtly complex tasting sour.

Body is medium and carbonation is too, has a lightly creamy mouthfeel. Finishes clean.

This is a great Flanders red, very tasty and drinkable. I could easily have another. (582 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Bottle acquired at Whole Foods in Glendale, California. Expectations are extremely high as I've heard nothing but great things about this beer. I'm in the mood for a good sour.

Reviewed live.

Served at the midpoint between refrigerator cold and room temperature. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one and a half finger head of nice cream, fairly good thickness, and great retention. Sort of an off-white head colour. The body colour is a dark semitransparent ruby-amber. Definitely a hue of red. Rich and inviting. Yeast particles are difficult to find but they're definitely in there. Quite appealing.

Sm: Apple, souring wild yeast, bacteria, cherry, indistinct fruit esters, light hints of oak when I look for it, figs, and a very slight vanilla hint (only when I look for it). The label's description is actually true; if only American breweries would take note. A nicely subtle and complex aroma. Moderate in strength. Very appealing and alive. I can't wait to try it. Exactly how a sour ought to smell.

T: Quite sour, in a good way. A bit puckerworthy but not problematic. Fresh. This one's definitely alive and heavy with yeast that doesn't feel overly biscuity or earthy. Apple certainly comes through. Cherries are there. I don't get any cocoa or vanilla; I think they're buried behind the sourness (I probably don't have the palate to pick them out; all apologies). Cream right on the open. Very delicious. Full bodied - the foundation is clean unobtrusive bright malts. A lovely beer. Very subtle. Tart and fruity. The oak here is hard to detect, and emerges as a note not merely as a tone like in many imperial stouts. Masterfully complex, but it doesn't beat you over the head with bold notes. The brewers value subtlety, and so do I. I'm impressed with this one. The sourness is of ideal extent in my opinion.

Sourness lingers in the aftertaste, which I find enjoyable.

Mf: Crisp but also refreshing. Some cream on the open. Smooth, wet, and unobtrusive - as it should be. Light and delicate without being fragile. Just a touch too thin, but forgivable as the thinness adds to the delicacy. Complements the flavours incredibly well.

Dr: Absurdly drinkable. An excellent sour. I'd definitely had this again. I imagine it would age well, but I wouldn't have the fortitude not to drink it. Excellently priced, even as an import (thank God the Shelton Bastards aren't handling distribution). Its ABV isn't high, but for what it's worth it's well hidden. I really fancy this one, and would highly recommend it to sour fans. It will likely be too puckerworthy for newcomers to sours, but it's a great example of the style. Phenomenally brewed.

Drank just fine out of me Guinness golbet. I recommend goblets as the ideal serving vessel for this beer.

Don't pair this with anything; it's worth enjoying on its own. If you must, perhaps something simple like red grapes would be ideal.

A good candidate for aging methinks.

A- (3,143 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

My first review:
I am in love with sours. I think they are by far the best example of why beer is way cooler than wine. They illustrate diversity. They define boundaries of beer that are leaps and bounds wider than vino.

A: This beer has a dark ruby hue. It's minimal head suggests a wide range of possibilities. Carbonation works its way up the middle of the glass. It does not cling to the side the way Champagne does. To me, this suggests this beer will not be light. We must look at what we are consuming deductively. Once you put your head in a box, you will never get out.

S: Slightly sharp is what I think. I get a combination of grapefruit, lemon peel and sour cherries. I smell this beer and I know what is coming on the palate. It is without a doubt sour. Give me some charcuterie and goat cheese please. Also as I smell this beer, I instantly think about the food that would go with it. This is where I think sours excel. The possibilities are endless. Chocolate dessert, cheese, because of the acidity certain soups could be phenomenal.

T: Darker than the smell is my initial thought. The taste offers up the conclusion to your initial thoughts on the A and S. This beer has depth and the level of sour is completely balanced. Dark cherries...that you hope are with chocolate that has a creamy undertone. If it does this beer will cut through the cream and pair incredibly.

M: The weight of this beer is perfect. It is exactly what I want out of a sour. When I think of too little mouthfeel I think of Mikkeller...when I think of too much I think of D.O.R.I.S.. This beer delivers and I think they did a fantastic job.

O: A little rough on the finish, but this is a fantastic sour. It is extremely well balanced and does a great job fitting into its style. Sometimes beers try to be what they are not and these guys know what they are good at. (1,860 characters)

Absolutely delicious, perfect flanders/flemish ale. I never thought something would come close to matching Consecration (my all-time #1), but this is right there. What an amazing example of the style.

Dark ruby red pour, thick pillowy head that dissipates in to excellent lacing. Great carbonation throughout the drink. The smell is sour and tart, and lets you know it's going to be delicious. Taste is sour, tart, finishes very dry. Makes your mouth pucker and pucker. Lots of funk with sour cherry/apple notes. Vanilla comes in a bit from the oak barrels.

Overall, I find no fault with this beer. I could drink it and drink it. Low ABV as well, making this an extremely sessionable beer. If you like sours get this now. (723 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark red pour with light head that quickly dissolves leaving a light ring that clings to the edge with spots of head still in the center.

S- If you could call it a fresh sweet-sour fruity mix thats what I would and just did.

T- Sour/vinegar fruit that follows easily with the smell. VERY NICE.

MF- Perfect amount of carbonation almost like a champagne with a light body that leaves nice tart finish.

O- Wonderful beer overall and is a great example of what a Belgium sour should be. (492 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%

Don't know how I missed out on this one for so long, love a good Flanders.

A- Dark red ale poured into a tulip with some brown hues around the edges. Single finger off-white head forms with a fizzy texture and low retention. Spotty lace from a small ring on the beer.

S- Strength of aroma is great with big notes of sour fruit, acetic vinegar and oak.

T- Follows the nose nicely. Flavorful blast of sour dark fruit, acetic acid/vinegar, lemon juice, apple, oak, vinous hints and slight funk.

MF- Moderate carbonation in a beer that has a fizzy but silky smooth feel. Big sours but not at the level of a Cantillon.

A nice Flanders Red Ale. I find this style to be quite solid overall, seems like these guys know what they are doing. Great balance of everything fruit and sour. (780 characters)

Beige head. Color is a clear copper

A: sweet cherry pie and sour funk.  Very clean and approachable . Bready and caramel.

T : sour cherry and cherry pie filling. Very nice. Bready but sweet. Very sour. A lot of tart fruits. Jolly rancher goodness.

Mf; sour and tart. Light bodies with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

O:  this was a surprisingly good beer. It was very sour and tart.  Very drinkable . I am glad I had a chance to  have this one.  (470 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle says 01 - I think that means this is the first bottled batch to hit the US.

Pours dark and clear, with the color hard to make out. With light behind it, it becomes crimson, but on its own it looks like a medium amber with reddish tones. One finger of cream-colored head, fades rather fast but leaves excellent thin lacing.

Smell is deliciously sour, with tart cherries leading the way. A bit of vinegar in the background. Also a nice light woody oaky aroma. A whole lot going on in here, and all of it is good.

Taste is again quite potently sour. Slightly mouth-puckering, but really nice. Very fruity - cherries and lemon in equal parts. Has a good bite at the end, as it kicks up rather sharply. Finishes... sour... and lingers on the tongue. I like it.

Light bodied, fizzy, and quite dry. The feel, and especially the astringency, works really well with the rest of the beer.

An excellent fruity sour. Definitely heavy on the sour, but there's a lot else going on in this beer that I really like. The combination of fruit, sour, and bubbly dry mouthfeel make for a great beer experience. (1,102 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance – Pours a dark mahogany red into my tulip with about a quarter finger of head that leaves miniscule lacing.

Smell – Lots of cherry, and to my pleasant surprise sour green apple. Not much vinegar (thankfully) if any to be honest. A hint of sweet malts and oakiness on the back end.

Taste – Wow…I may have to change my mind about Flanders. A kick of cherry/acidic tartness up front. Oak, vanilla, and then the granny smith apple comes in. Not much vinegar nor is it overly sweet. Grape skins and earthiness, and finishes again on cherry notes.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, perfect carbonation, finishes a hint dry and tart.

Overall – Well tickle me pink. This was a pleasant surprise to be sure. I am NOT a Flanders fan at all, and this one was thoroughly enjoyable. I will for sure pick some more up at my local store. Recommended. (856 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on the train ride home from work. Poured into a 12oz. clear plastic cup (all i had at the moment).

A-- Dark reddish-brown with a barely existent white head that had very little lacing.

S-- Mostly cherry with hints of sour apple.

T-- Cherry, vanilla, sour apple, light oak. The sour fades very nicely into a creamy vanilla finish.

M-- Lightly carbonated and finishes slowly as it really coats your entire mouth. The tannins from the oak leave you wanting more.

D-- Very impressed with this one. Has all the good qualities of this style and manages to keep them all in perfect harmony. (602 characters)

12oz bottle $5.99. Dark red-brown color, good head at first and then a film of bubbles. Smells a bit like cherries, wood, brett adn possibly pedio(?), I anticipate it will be sour. Taste is more complex than I expected with the wood playing a good part, sour but not completely mouth puckering. One of the better Flanders Reds that I've had. (341 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

A modest, creamy, tan head produces a good amount of webbing before fully diminishing over a gem clear, dark copper beer. From a fish-eye glass, the highlights range from a reddish mahogany to ruby.

A nice, vinegary tone ranges from tart to sour, with earthiness and a background of ripe berries.

The flavors, as expected, are highly acidic. The tartness is subdued only because of the high acidity. Some sweetness comes out with cherries and blackberries.

A light body with velvety texture and vigorous carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp, with light alcohol.

This one is well suited as a digestif and for contemplation. Presented in a fish-eye glass that fits the hand well. (685 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle with 01 stamped on the back label. Dark red color with some clarity. Minimal head forms and quickly settles to a thin skim of bubbles. Small bits of lacing is left on the glass during consumption.

This is a terrific smelling beer. Complex combination of tart cherries, barnyard/horse blanket, and floral finish.

Awesome flavor as well. More tart/sour than funky although the barnyard funk is definately noticeable. Fruity with notes of cherries and apples. Subtle barrel-aging notes of oak and vanilla. Just a slight sweetness in the finish. Great combination and not one noted.

Lighter bodied with near perfect carbonation for this type of beer. A little lively which I particularly enjoyed.

Other than the pour this is a great sour that I never heard of before seeing it on the shelf. (803 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3%

served on tap at black and blue

A-deep reddish with zero head on tap.

S-lots of tart cherries with slight hint of malt background.

T-tart cherries hit you up front and mellows out into a smooth balance of sweet and tart.

M0medium body, very flavorful. (255 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 330 mL. capped bottle (no date) into a tulip glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly disappears within seconds, leaving only a thin dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a dark chocolate mahogany with traces of coagulated blood red when held to light. A strong amount of carbonation bubbles can be seen racing each other to the surface. Every sip of this beer reveals a thin line of lacing that quickly disappears back into the body of the beer.

The nose is definitely both sweet and tart with just a touch of funk. Aromas of apple cider vinegar, black cherries, and overly ripe raspberries are just a few of the components in this complex nose.

And I thought this beer just smelled great! Each sip starts with flavors tart cherries, raspberries, and mulberries. As the beer is swallowed, a smooth apple cider vinegar flavor takes over the entire mouth and slowly mellows to a super dry finish.

Medium bodied with great carbonation, this beer is as slick as it is sour. The body is very accessible and definitely smooth, but isn't exactly a thirst-quencher. The carbonation is slightly fizzy and prickly when held in the mouth but really foams up in the swallow. (1,213 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz bottle into a 5 oz tasting glass.

A: Pale off-amber brown. Head pours dense and falls but laces okay.

S: Bright tart cherry, crabapple. A little spiced apple aroma.

T: A lot of tart cherry and some other nondescript unripened berry (raspberry, mulberry). No overwhelming vinegar like aftertaste. Very clean. A light oaky presence redolent of red wine must.

M: Excellent balance of tartness on the palate and rounded mouthfeel.

O: Excellent example of the style, makes me want more. (494 characters)

Cuvee des jacobins rouge

Pours a dark, reddish brown color that is murky. A fingers worth of tan head sits for a while and leaves walls of lace.

The nose is full of vinager, tart cherries, sweet candied sugar, and raspberries.

The taste is much the same as the nose. Sweet meets tart here in a balanced way. The cherries and berries are noticed along with vineager which makes for a tart and sour taste. Some sweet biscuit malt lingers within all the tartness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lip smacking tartness that leaves me begging for more. Crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is a bomb sour that has a great balance to it. Glad its in bottles finally. (667 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured into a chalice, appears very dark mahogany with a thin, off-white head.

Aroma is tart, sour, lactic, light fruit sweetness, a little oaky. Really tart.

Taste is extreme lactic sourness. A puckering tartness coats the entire mouth. Somewhere in the middle lies a sweetness like sour cherries. The sourness dominates more than other examples I've had of this style but that is not a bad thing at all.

This beer is more of a slow sipper than some other Flemish Sours due to its extreme tartness but very refreshing nonetheless. Extremely enjoyable and complex Flemish red. (580 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.1%

A -- A clear garnet brown brew that pours to a one finger off white head and settles to a thin froth, leaving little lacing.

S --Pungent tones of sour cherry, tart apple, and pronounced acid are dominating.

T --Sharp acid and cherry, juicy apple and extracted grape-like tannin flavors which are then balanced on the back by a nice mellow oak and a hint of vanilla. Very rich and flavorful.

M -- Moderate body and carbonation, with a tannic grip on the tongue that really sticks and makes the beer slightly resinous.

D -- A must try for any self confessed sour fanatic, and a fantastic representation of the style. Amazing. (627 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4%

11.2 oz. bottle served in a tulip. Pours a very reddish brown with a finger of off white head. Bottle conditioned. Sour cherries and vinegar in the aroma. Light bodied. Very tart and acidic, more tart cherries. Sour pucker in the finish. Little bit of oak. Very drinkable. Nice to see this in bottles. (301 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Creamy, yet condensed, small-bubbled light tan head, about 2 inches. The head slowly comes down a bit, then gradually falls into the beer with minimal retention other than a light film. Royal crimson/ruby red, with some dark amber hues. At the right angle you see that this beer is brilliantly clear.

Aroma: Ripe black cherry, oak, light vanilla, acetic nose. Pear and apple come out softly. Zero hop. Amazingly complex.

Taste: Tremendously sour, yet not overbearing, if that makes sense. It has a wonderful fruity acetic/tart flavor rather the actual puckering sensation, but which is clearly present. Malty sweetness plays well, but ultimately takes a backseat to the prominent sour cherry.

Mouth: Medium body, with medium to high carbonation. The long, dry finish leaves a pleasant puckering sensation, with the oak and black cherry lingering. The mouthfeel puts this already wonderfully complex beer over the top.

Overall: Such an enjoyable, drinkable, complex, and flavorful flanders red. From the introductory nose of black cherry, and vanilla to the beautiful brilliance in its clarity, to the bright tart fruity and sweet acedic flavor, to its long drawn out dry oak finish, this is an incredible beer that I will have on hand at all times. (1,259 characters)

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.