Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Cuvée Des Jacobins RougeCuvée Des Jacobins Rouge

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-28-2009

Ratings: 2,472 | Reviews: 463
4.3/5  rDev -0.7%

waiting to try this beer for a little while...

reddish copper pour with no head. The aroma is a touch of sulfur, vinegar, and some modest sweetness. The taste paints a different picture with ripe, tart cherries, a little woodiness and very modest sour bite. It wouldn't be a real sour without a slight stomach ache, but it burns so good. This beer is an incredibly modest Flanders and I can see why it's so highly rated. So $3.33/ 12oz, I must be in heaven. It's something I can't wait to grab in bottles.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice three finger head pours straw in color. Thin foam fades fast leaving behind nice bubbles. Brew is very dark red/purple.

Very deep cherry and fruit. Oak is also very prominent, stands out nice vanilla scent. Smells mega tart! Slight fart scent.

Pucker-up! What an awesome flavor! Very smoooth and delicious! Lots of cherry, green apple, and pear in this brew. Oak aging has done this brew amazing. Dare I say almost too sweet? Wonderful light carbonation.

What a great find. If you're a Sour Patch Kid, this brew is for you! A must try. I'm anxious to see where this goes with some age...

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%

11.2 oz into small tasting glass

A- Deep amber, fine head that fades fast.
S- Smells sour I guess? My palate is not very refined when it comes to sours so that's the best I can do.
T- Sweet and sour seem fairly well balanced. Again, my palate is not refined enough to enjoy this, so I can't say much more.
M- Fairly thick, low carbonation.
O- Sours are not my thing. As sours go, this is one of the better I have had, so I don't want to rate it poorly.

4.37/5  rDev +0.9%

11.2oz bottle into a Ranger Creek tulip.

Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge pours with a tawny brown body that brightens to ruby red when held in the light. The head crackles at first, but settles to a firm, dense ring of newspaper-colored bubbles at the edge of the glass. The aroma is astounding: sweet hint of vanilla from the 18 month barrel-aging, tart cherry skin, green blackberry vines, and a pinch of toffee malts.

The flavor hits the palate with both sour tartness and sweet maltiness, and what a glorious balance it is. Cherries are luscious and juicy at first, but grip the sides of the palate with a sharp, tart bite. Very much like sour cherry pie, with the crust included. A hint of cocoa and oak barrels flash in the middle before the finish of dry, crisp sourness. Although Rouge is a sipper, it never once tires the tongue. Very drinkable, and the tart medium body is perfectly carbonated. I'm exuberant to have this sour beer distributed in Texas, and the price point makes it all the sweeter.

3.84/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a clear deep ruby red color with a thin edging which leaves strands of sticky lace around the glass. The aroma is faint and is of vanilla, cherry, and faint oaky notes. The taste follows suit with a big cherry vanilla taste which gives way to a great sourness. There is also notes of oakiness and spices when you let in play on the tongue, almost like a red wine flavor. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall this is a very good beer, the aroma was hard to get to, but the rest of the beer was very good. The taste was well crafted with a nice complexity and smoothness.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

I poured this one from an 11.2oz crown capped brown bottle into my Allagash tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a clear but dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights. The head rose just about 3/4" with a careful pour and then quickly settled to a thin but persistent cap. No lace to speak of.

S= I found this to be quite aromatic. Lots of tart/sour fruity notes and some cherry pie over the top of slight malty sweetness. Everything was in balance.

T= Very delicious from start to finish of each sip. I found it started with some residual sweetness and a kiss of malt backbone, followed by a parade of fruity and sour notes. Very complex and very well balanced. This was on par with Rodenbach (blasphemy I know). Finished quite tart and refreshing.

MF= Lighter side of medium bodied, with a firm but not spritzy carbonation level. Very refreshing and palate cleansing.

D= Overall this is a world class and highly drinkable ale. I will seek this out again!

11.2 oz poured into a snifter. 6.99 a pop.

Clear rust brown with hints of red; medium head with average retention and lacing. Aroma is lactic and acetic... yogurt, balsamic vinegar, funk and acid in general. Very sour taste of tart plums, and intense bite of vinegar... perhaps too intense. Or I am drinking it too warm. Medium body, good carbonation and clean finish. Good. Better than other beers of its kind, and a good balance of acetic and lactic.

Downsides? Too sour, maybe. Some balancing bitterness wouldn't have hurt. But between the current taste and too bitter, I would go with current.

4, 4, 4, 4, 4

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

Picked up a 11.2 oz bottle during my Boston trip, on recommendation by a Julio's Liquors employee. That guy deserves a raise! This is only my second sour beer, but now I know that I need to find more to try.

Poured into a tulip. A finger and a half of light tan head with large bubbles, subsides to an attractive smattering over the surface, and stays there. The body is a lively brown with a ruby tinge.

The smell is of soured belgian yeast, cherry, apple, malt, and a hint of balsamic vinegar. All of these are well balanced and subtle, well crafted. Just from the smell, you can tell that this is a quality ale.

After my initial shock, I quickly got to know each and every beautiful flavor. At first sip, you are greeted with sharp cherry. As the beer warms in your mouth, a magical transformation occurs. The sour takes over, the crisp mouthfeel becomes almost "snowy", apple comes out to play, as well as the slightest vanilla note from the oak aging. The aftertaste is mildly puckering, a tad vinegary, but pleasant throughout.

I'm impressed, to say the least. A fine example of the flanders red ale, if I may so inexperienced-ly may say so. Amazing flavor, cascading, and complex, just as the label mentions.

3.03/5  rDev -30%

Imbibed on tap at Rose & Crown on 3/30/2012.

Poured a clear dark ruby red, nearly brown with a thick head that sticks to the glass a little. Sweet then sour cranberry, strawberry, and raspberry aroma. Some dark/brown malt in there too. Taste starts out mouth puckeringly sour. Lots of cranberry with other juicy berries as described in aroma, with the addition of blueberry in taste. Tart to bitter ending. Cranberry through and through. Pretty watery and dry in feel, which is kinda good in my opinion, otherwise it might be too one dimensional.

This really reminded me quite a bit of Duchess, but more fruity. I thought Duchess was the fruitiest Flanders Red, but this one takes the cake. I think I'd rather have something that doesn't taste so fruit juice-ish, and more beer-ish to be honest. It was interesting, but maybe a bit young. I know the alcohol content suggests it shouldn't be aged, but I'd like to see what happens to this beer in a year or two. I'm thinking the sweet juice flavors might take a backseat to some other complexities that would develop.

4.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heard this was a darned good sour... so I had to pick up a bottle when I saw one at Lone Star. Glad I did, this is good stuff! Served in a Ommegang chalice because all of my other beer glasses are dirty.

Pours with a deep ruby body that is slightly tainted by a dirty, dark brown. Forms a light tan head that has nice bubble sizing, but doesn't last long. Decent enough, but not spectacular.

This beer is fantastically well rounded. Nothing knocks me over the head, but I really like every bit of it. The tartness is sharp, but not huge. The main flavor is a real cherry that plays well with that medium tartness. There's an oak bite and a bit of vanilla in the sip. Occasionally, I get a sweet apple bite at the end of the sip. There's also a slight hint of balsamic vinegar in the background, but it only comes forth when I want to find it. Perfect vinegar depth. All of the flavor facets come wrapped in a very well weighted fluid package.

This bottle was a bit pricey, but I'd definitely go back to it again. The Jacobins is not as bold as a La Folie, but the flavors are much more balanced and subtle. Very solid beer.

A very tasty Flemish red. I’d buy this more often if not for the high price tag which makes it a once-in-a-while treat. The body is deep red, with a small red-tinted head that settles down quickly; lacing is spotty and a little soapy looking. The aroma is tart and sour, funky and fruity, touches of oak and light vinegar, vaguely sweet. Cherry is the predominant fruit note in both the smell and taste. Good sourness, some puckering, this will most likely seem strong to novice sour-drinkers but fairly average in intensity to the more experienced. Again, the flavors are complex as the aroma, with a nice touch of woody oak tannins, restrained cider vinegar, tart cherries, sour apples, raspberries, red wine, brown sugar. Sweet and sour aspects are well balanced.

Body is well carbonated and medium to a little thin. Crisp and clean finishing, very refreshing, and an excellent accompaniment to food that needs a little cutting through; rich cheeses, spicy asian cuisines, etc.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a small snifter. Fits the 11.2oz bottle perfectly. Pours a deep garnet red. Fairly clear. Light tan head dissipated fast to nothing. You can see bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries and raspberries with a little bit of barn yard funk and some red wine sort of merlot characters going on. Smells great.

Taste is great. Not much flavor in the start but as you swallow a bit of tart cherries hits your tongue then the sourness takes over and then some more cherry and some chocolate/dark fruits and then a bit of funk. Very tasty and complex beer. Not a lot of the balsamic you get from other Flanders.

Mouthfeel is great for a sour. I prefer a bit more dry but it's great for a Flanders which is usually a bit more malty.

Overall maybe my fav Flanders red. I typically dont like the style because of the maltyness but this one is great because it's more dry. I'll be getting this one in the future for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +2.1%

On draft at The Toronado.

Around a 4 oz pour into a small wine glass. Body is translucent red, topped by a thin layer of off-white foam.

Smells sour, mainly of fresh cherries, with notes of wood and vanilla. Fresh and complex.

Tastes of fresh cherries, nicely tart--just a touch of acetic acid. Notes of wood and vanilla. A little yeast funkiness. This is a wonderful and subtly complex tasting sour.

Body is medium and carbonation is too, has a lightly creamy mouthfeel. Finishes clean.

This is a great Flanders red, very tasty and drinkable. I could easily have another.

4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Guinness goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Bottle acquired at Whole Foods in Glendale, California. Expectations are extremely high as I've heard nothing but great things about this beer. I'm in the mood for a good sour.

Reviewed live.

Served at the midpoint between refrigerator cold and room temperature. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one and a half finger head of nice cream, fairly good thickness, and great retention. Sort of an off-white head colour. The body colour is a dark semitransparent ruby-amber. Definitely a hue of red. Rich and inviting. Yeast particles are difficult to find but they're definitely in there. Quite appealing.

Sm: Apple, souring wild yeast, bacteria, cherry, indistinct fruit esters, light hints of oak when I look for it, figs, and a very slight vanilla hint (only when I look for it). The label's description is actually true; if only American breweries would take note. A nicely subtle and complex aroma. Moderate in strength. Very appealing and alive. I can't wait to try it. Exactly how a sour ought to smell.

T: Quite sour, in a good way. A bit puckerworthy but not problematic. Fresh. This one's definitely alive and heavy with yeast that doesn't feel overly biscuity or earthy. Apple certainly comes through. Cherries are there. I don't get any cocoa or vanilla; I think they're buried behind the sourness (I probably don't have the palate to pick them out; all apologies). Cream right on the open. Very delicious. Full bodied - the foundation is clean unobtrusive bright malts. A lovely beer. Very subtle. Tart and fruity. The oak here is hard to detect, and emerges as a note not merely as a tone like in many imperial stouts. Masterfully complex, but it doesn't beat you over the head with bold notes. The brewers value subtlety, and so do I. I'm impressed with this one. The sourness is of ideal extent in my opinion.

Sourness lingers in the aftertaste, which I find enjoyable.

Mf: Crisp but also refreshing. Some cream on the open. Smooth, wet, and unobtrusive - as it should be. Light and delicate without being fragile. Just a touch too thin, but forgivable as the thinness adds to the delicacy. Complements the flavours incredibly well.

Dr: Absurdly drinkable. An excellent sour. I'd definitely had this again. I imagine it would age well, but I wouldn't have the fortitude not to drink it. Excellently priced, even as an import (thank God the Shelton Bastards aren't handling distribution). Its ABV isn't high, but for what it's worth it's well hidden. I really fancy this one, and would highly recommend it to sour fans. It will likely be too puckerworthy for newcomers to sours, but it's a great example of the style. Phenomenally brewed.

Drank just fine out of me Guinness golbet. I recommend goblets as the ideal serving vessel for this beer.

Don't pair this with anything; it's worth enjoying on its own. If you must, perhaps something simple like red grapes would be ideal.

A good candidate for aging methinks.

A-

4.4/5  rDev +1.6%

My first review:
I am in love with sours. I think they are by far the best example of why beer is way cooler than wine. They illustrate diversity. They define boundaries of beer that are leaps and bounds wider than vino.

A: This beer has a dark ruby hue. It's minimal head suggests a wide range of possibilities. Carbonation works its way up the middle of the glass. It does not cling to the side the way Champagne does. To me, this suggests this beer will not be light. We must look at what we are consuming deductively. Once you put your head in a box, you will never get out.

S: Slightly sharp is what I think. I get a combination of grapefruit, lemon peel and sour cherries. I smell this beer and I know what is coming on the palate. It is without a doubt sour. Give me some charcuterie and goat cheese please. Also as I smell this beer, I instantly think about the food that would go with it. This is where I think sours excel. The possibilities are endless. Chocolate dessert, cheese, because of the acidity certain soups could be phenomenal.

T: Darker than the smell is my initial thought. The taste offers up the conclusion to your initial thoughts on the A and S. This beer has depth and the level of sour is completely balanced. Dark cherries...that you hope are with chocolate that has a creamy undertone. If it does this beer will cut through the cream and pair incredibly.

M: The weight of this beer is perfect. It is exactly what I want out of a sour. When I think of too little mouthfeel I think of Mikkeller...when I think of too much I think of D.O.R.I.S.. This beer delivers and I think they did a fantastic job.

O: A little rough on the finish, but this is a fantastic sour. It is extremely well balanced and does a great job fitting into its style. Sometimes beers try to be what they are not and these guys know what they are good at.

Absolutely delicious, perfect flanders/flemish ale. I never thought something would come close to matching Consecration (my all-time #1), but this is right there. What an amazing example of the style.

Dark ruby red pour, thick pillowy head that dissipates in to excellent lacing. Great carbonation throughout the drink. The smell is sour and tart, and lets you know it's going to be delicious. Taste is sour, tart, finishes very dry. Makes your mouth pucker and pucker. Lots of funk with sour cherry/apple notes. Vanilla comes in a bit from the oak barrels.

Overall, I find no fault with this beer. I could drink it and drink it. Low ABV as well, making this an extremely sessionable beer. If you like sours get this now.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark red pour with light head that quickly dissolves leaving a light ring that clings to the edge with spots of head still in the center.

S- If you could call it a fresh sweet-sour fruity mix thats what I would and just did.

T- Sour/vinegar fruit that follows easily with the smell. VERY NICE.

MF- Perfect amount of carbonation almost like a champagne with a light body that leaves nice tart finish.

O- Wonderful beer overall and is a great example of what a Belgium sour should be.

4.2/5  rDev -3%

Don't know how I missed out on this one for so long, love a good Flanders.

A- Dark red ale poured into a tulip with some brown hues around the edges. Single finger off-white head forms with a fizzy texture and low retention. Spotty lace from a small ring on the beer.

S- Strength of aroma is great with big notes of sour fruit, acetic vinegar and oak.

T- Follows the nose nicely. Flavorful blast of sour dark fruit, acetic acid/vinegar, lemon juice, apple, oak, vinous hints and slight funk.

MF- Moderate carbonation in a beer that has a fizzy but silky smooth feel. Big sours but not at the level of a Cantillon.

A nice Flanders Red Ale. I find this style to be quite solid overall, seems like these guys know what they are doing. Great balance of everything fruit and sour.

Beige head. Color is a clear copper

A: sweet cherry pie and sour funk.  Very clean and approachable . Bready and caramel.

T : sour cherry and cherry pie filling. Very nice. Bready but sweet. Very sour. A lot of tart fruits. Jolly rancher goodness.

Mf; sour and tart. Light bodies with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

O:  this was a surprisingly good beer. It was very sour and tart.  Very drinkable . I am glad I had a chance to  have this one.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle says 01 - I think that means this is the first bottled batch to hit the US.

Pours dark and clear, with the color hard to make out. With light behind it, it becomes crimson, but on its own it looks like a medium amber with reddish tones. One finger of cream-colored head, fades rather fast but leaves excellent thin lacing.

Smell is deliciously sour, with tart cherries leading the way. A bit of vinegar in the background. Also a nice light woody oaky aroma. A whole lot going on in here, and all of it is good.

Taste is again quite potently sour. Slightly mouth-puckering, but really nice. Very fruity - cherries and lemon in equal parts. Has a good bite at the end, as it kicks up rather sharply. Finishes... sour... and lingers on the tongue. I like it.

Light bodied, fizzy, and quite dry. The feel, and especially the astringency, works really well with the rest of the beer.

An excellent fruity sour. Definitely heavy on the sour, but there's a lot else going on in this beer that I really like. The combination of fruit, sour, and bubbly dry mouthfeel make for a great beer experience.

4.22/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance – Pours a dark mahogany red into my tulip with about a quarter finger of head that leaves miniscule lacing.

Smell – Lots of cherry, and to my pleasant surprise sour green apple. Not much vinegar (thankfully) if any to be honest. A hint of sweet malts and oakiness on the back end.

Taste – Wow…I may have to change my mind about Flanders. A kick of cherry/acidic tartness up front. Oak, vanilla, and then the granny smith apple comes in. Not much vinegar nor is it overly sweet. Grape skins and earthiness, and finishes again on cherry notes.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, perfect carbonation, finishes a hint dry and tart.

Overall – Well tickle me pink. This was a pleasant surprise to be sure. I am NOT a Flanders fan at all, and this one was thoroughly enjoyable. I will for sure pick some more up at my local store. Recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this one on the train ride home from work. Poured into a 12oz. clear plastic cup (all i had at the moment).

A-- Dark reddish-brown with a barely existent white head that had very little lacing.

S-- Mostly cherry with hints of sour apple.

T-- Cherry, vanilla, sour apple, light oak. The sour fades very nicely into a creamy vanilla finish.

M-- Lightly carbonated and finishes slowly as it really coats your entire mouth. The tannins from the oak leave you wanting more.

D-- Very impressed with this one. Has all the good qualities of this style and manages to keep them all in perfect harmony.

12oz bottle $5.99. Dark red-brown color, good head at first and then a film of bubbles. Smells a bit like cherries, wood, brett adn possibly pedio(?), I anticipate it will be sour. Taste is more complex than I expected with the wood playing a good part, sour but not completely mouth puckering. One of the better Flanders Reds that I've had.

4.03/5  rDev -6.9%

A modest, creamy, tan head produces a good amount of webbing before fully diminishing over a gem clear, dark copper beer. From a fish-eye glass, the highlights range from a reddish mahogany to ruby.

A nice, vinegary tone ranges from tart to sour, with earthiness and a background of ripe berries.

The flavors, as expected, are highly acidic. The tartness is subdued only because of the high acidity. Some sweetness comes out with cherries and blackberries.

A light body with velvety texture and vigorous carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp, with light alcohol.

This one is well suited as a digestif and for contemplation. Presented in a fish-eye glass that fits the hand well.

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle with 01 stamped on the back label. Dark red color with some clarity. Minimal head forms and quickly settles to a thin skim of bubbles. Small bits of lacing is left on the glass during consumption.

This is a terrific smelling beer. Complex combination of tart cherries, barnyard/horse blanket, and floral finish.

Awesome flavor as well. More tart/sour than funky although the barnyard funk is definately noticeable. Fruity with notes of cherries and apples. Subtle barrel-aging notes of oak and vanilla. Just a slight sweetness in the finish. Great combination and not one noted.

Lighter bodied with near perfect carbonation for this type of beer. A little lively which I particularly enjoyed.

Other than the pour this is a great sour that I never heard of before seeing it on the shelf.

Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.