Vanderghinste Oud Bruin - Brouwerij Bockor N.V.

Vanderghinste Oud BruinVanderghinste Oud Bruin

Brouwerij Bockor N.V. visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.50% ABV

Label also displays .VanderGhinste Oud Bruin'.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-08-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vanderghinste Oud Bruin Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

25 cl bottle BBE 8/10. Pours clear, dark red-brown with a small pale beige head. A bit of lacing. Lactic sourness on the nose with some sour cherry. Woody. Acidity in the taste as well, but it's cut by a lot of sugary sweetness. A bit of dark roasty malt. Sweet finish. Not super complex. Medium body with high carbonation. Too sweet to be a decent sour.

philipquarles, Sep 29, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

A - pours a clear brown with a touch of red. Short tan head with some lace. No bubbles.

S - mild aroma of prunes, malt and maybe some cherry. A swirl wakes it up and it becomes more like Merlot.

T - like the aroma with soft dark malt and a sweet red grape note. Low acidity and tartness for the style.

M - medium body. Low-medium carbonation. Fairly sweet with a little bit of tartness.

O - nothing offensive here and nothing spectacular. Conservative flavor and aroma that didn't do much for me.

GuzzLah, Mar 16, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -21.1%

Batch Code 5. I'm not sure what this indicates, but I thought I'd include the information.

Look is very dark red against the light, but nearly black or mahogany beneath a light. There is very little khaki head that tries, but fails, to cover the top in various sized bubbles. This is the stickiest head on a sour I've seen. It sticks in splotches, very random. A sweet caramel, not very thick, with a tart berry aroma. There is some interesting bready yeastiness, like a pumpernickel or cranberry loaf. Very slightly roasty. Taste comes off initially as very sweet and slightly tart. I get strawberry, pomegranate, and cranberry in the sourness. A slight tinny metallic flavor bubbles up occasionally. The finish is sweet initially, but dries out which brings a good contrast to the previous sour flavors. Feel is slightly watery.

I like this but don't love it. I really appreciate the light flavors and fruitiness in this beer, but I want a contrast. It needs some more roastiness or earthiness. Give this a little more complexity and I'd love it.

Philousa, Oct 12, 2012

3SH33TS, Sep 16, 2013

baybum, Jun 19, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle received in a trade with Brewerdan, thanks! Nice brown color and at first a big head, then a wispy ring of bubbles around the rim of the glass. The smell is a decent sweet sour almost glue, vinegar, oud bruin for sure. The taste starts out matching the smell but the back end has a strange graininess to it that I can't get past.

ArrogantB, Feb 05, 2011

bacasnax, Mar 30, 2013

tom10101, Aug 02, 2013
3.32/5  rDev -17.6%

DonsterCalamari, Sep 14, 2014
3.33/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Murky brown pour, decent head, tons of sticky lace. Aroma reminds me of a brown ale with tart fruit in the background.

Taste is sweet and malty. Mild acidity yields minimal sourness. This is either a different take on the Oud Bruin style or a miss. Regardless, I prefer the more fruity, more funky, more sour versions.

Was hoping this would be as impressive as the Jacobins Rouge, but this one left me disappointed.

brystmar, Feb 26, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought I had finished all of my bottles of this beer off a year ago. I seem to remember it tasting better than this. Foamy head that died quickly. Kind of a sour smell. Kind of tastes like a burgundy wine. Maybe this one has sat too long.The date on the bottle is 12/20/02 and today is 8/15/04. So its quite possible that this beer has not improved with age. I will have to pick up another bottle sometime and edit htis review if my impressions change.

Hex92, Aug 16, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

I will have to say that I wasn't very impressed with this beer. It poured nice and dark brown but had almost know head at all. Very little carbonation at all. It has a nice aroma that is malty and smells of plums. But the taste was extremely sweet. It had a big plum taste with very little bitterness at all. The big turn off was the residual sweetness which overpowered everything else. Overall I think that it may have not have finished fermenting, but otherwise was interesting.

Elemental, Feb 13, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a very deep red with a nice big well retained head. The aroma is very interesting, plenty of wet grain and a bit of brown sugar. There is certainly some hay in the aroma as well. The flavor is similarly earthy however this is no where near as sweet as the aroma would lead you to believe, nor was it as sweet as the Monk's Cafe I just drank before it. This beer isn't particularly "bracingly" sour but it is certainly tart & the tartness is most defiantly the dominant character of the beer. There is a fair amount of sour cherry in there as well, but the beer is certainly malty in a sort of dusty earthy and cocoa kind of way. Overall this is an enjoyable beer.

BieresDesMoines, Feb 21, 2011
3.41/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

S: Slight funk. Decent tartness with some vinegar, but quickly fades, some fruity (cherry), bubblegum

A: Pours a deep brownish red in colour, very clear, looks almost ruby in color

T: bright upfront with clean crispness and some malt sweetness. Solid cherry characters come through but still rather sweet. some oak notes on the finish with a touch of oxidation and a clean, light tartness. Some sweetness sticks around towards the finish. Feel is light but smooth with some acid providing a bite.

O: real tasty, a little sweet but a great example of a flemish bier.

bierdeflanders, Jan 31, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -14.4%

date on the back of the bottle indicates 03 14. small bottle.

A: dark brown hued. head is frothy and is rather thick. a lightly tint of brown. good retention as it has been holding true for a while now.

S: dark fruits, plums and figs. dark malts, caramel or a brown malt. the acidity is actually low on the nose. a little lower than I would prefer.

T: a sharp acidity starts the drink, but it quickly fades and dissipates. it then makes the turn to a slightly malty body, not much as it remains relatively thin throughout, but some roasted/coffee notes can be detected. gets tart again as it thins, but not to the same severity of the first sip. there are even some sweet dark fruit flavors in the middle that I am getting more of as it warms. I am also getting a mild metallic flavor as it warms that I am not crazy about.

M: mild carb, relatively light body.

D: not great in my opinion. I want more acidity, a slightly dryer body and I am not crazy about the mild metallic notes I was getting. still, always fun to a brewers interpretation of this style.

D:

Jimmys, Jul 22, 2014

jpbebeau, Jul 11, 2013

acurtis, Sep 13, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

If you like sours you will like this beer, I however do not like sours. That said, I can still recognize skillful craftsmanship. The people that produced this beer know what they are doing. Just not my favorite style.

The aroma is very tart and acidic with some estery qualities. You can tell this is a sour with the first whiff that you get.

The sour notes are right there when it first hits the pallate and stays throughout. I can taste raisins and some subtle dark fruit that I can't quite pull. Good if you like sours, but I do not so just so so for me.

osusullins, Oct 30, 2011

PaBeerLover, May 29, 2012

enelson, Apr 24, 2012

AndyEdgar, Jun 16, 2014

Florya, Nov 14, 2012

kew, Feb 07, 2012

lgmol, Aug 16, 2014

Dbot, Jul 05, 2014
Vanderghinste Oud Bruin from Brouwerij Bockor N.V.