Rye Knot - Figure 8 Brewing

to view more.
Ratings: 9 | Reviews: 4
3.93/5  rDev n/a

On tap at figure 8

A - Deep, dark brown with a one finger rocky, mocha colored head that leaves copious amounts of lacing down the sides

S - Dark, bitter chocolate, slight milk chocolate and hints of oak

T - Bitter dark chocolate and slight anise hit you up front. There is an oatmeal stout character that comes in the middle. The finish is strong dark chocolate and oak which leaves a lingering bitterness in the finish

MF - Really smooth and creamy beer with medium body and light carbonation. Makes this a pleasure to drink

O - A delicious Baltic Porter that has nice dark chocolate flavors and is silky smooth. Can't wait to try the BA version

4.5/5  rDev n/a

Simply delicious. Porters are my favorite style and Figure 8 hit the nail right on the head with this one. Full body, delicious flavors of coffee and hints of chocolate. The malt definitely hides the rather high alcohol content. For my money, it's one of the "danky-est" porters out there. They are aging some Rye Knot in a bourbon barrel for release later this fall. I can't wait. Definitely check out this porter.

3.98/5  rDev n/a

Purchased a sampler of Figure 8's five brews on tap starting with a belgian honey lager and ending up with this robust dark baltic rye and I was happy I did. All five provided varying degrees of satisfaction but this baltic rye was off-the-charts de-licious for a new brewpub on the western edge of Valparaiso. The beer was black as night. Smell was a bit lacking for a hopped-up brew but the oak woodiness (taste), chewiness (mouthful) and sustained drinkability were so good that I took a growler home.

3.58/5  rDev n/a

Poured from a growler purchased at Pat's into a 20 oz. pint glass.

Described on the tag as a "Baltic Rye" with a "blend of seven grains, amarillo, centennial, warrior hops" with "hints of licorice, oak, cognac, and a light woodsy bitter finish"

Appearance is deep black and opaque, a one and a half inch dark brown head forms on top but it ends up dissipating rather quickly to a bunch of bubbles.

Aroma is woody overall with some roasty chocolate notes. A bit of licorice as well. For having Amarillo, Centennial, and Warrior hops - very citrusy hops - they are suprisingly not present in the aroma. Overall, I'd say it's coming off quite light compared to what I expected.

Taste is really a lot like the aroma. I do get a heavy woody presence with a light licorice tone, as the label suggests. However, I wouldn't say it's as complex as it suggests as I don't get any real oak tones. It's more of a wet wood type taste. A slight dark fruit character suggestive of plums. Overall it impresses me as rather light overall, I hate to say watery but it's almost as if I have to. There are nice flavors going on but it's like they are slightly muffled.

Mouthfeel was really great actually. A very nice slickness that coats the entire mouth and slides down smoothly.

Can't say I am really all that excited about drinking this whole growler by myself, but it's not like it's a chore. Pretty good beer though it falls short in some respects. I will be trying others by them as well.

to view more.
Rye Knot from Figure 8 Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.