Hangdog - Figure 8 Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Figure 8 Brewing visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Black Ale |  6.60% ABV

(Beer added by: JamesS on 11-28-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Jay_Ulreich:
Jay_Ulreich

2.89/5  rDev -14.7%

I live right down the street from this place. Growlers filled on Sundays, so thats pretty sweet. I want to like this beer, I really do. It tastes like an extract brew. And maybe it is, thats okay, Im fine with that. I dig the malt profile, as it reminds me of my earlier beers. I totally agree with the only other review of this beer, and that theres no balance, the hops are totally fighting the malt. I am a self proclaimed hop head, and I dont think I have ever said "I dont like the hops in this" until this beer.
A- dark brown, decent head for a growler.
S- Funky. Smells just like malt extract and theres hops in there too, and they are weird/scary.
T- Maybe they used a weird yeast, or maybe they fucked up royally when adding the hops? I cant blame the hops... This stuff is just plain weird. Reminds me of when I put a bunch of leftover ingredients into my extract brew when I was first starting out. Its not bad.... I just am completely missing what they were aiming at.
M- the best part about this is the mouthfeel. Its smooth and almost chewy, which I dig. But still, its just "ok"
Overall, I support my local brew pub, and I hope I dont keep you from visiting this place, its really nice. They have much better beers there though!

Serving type: growler

bozodogbreath

11-09-2012 01:29:39 | More by bozodogbreath
JamesS

2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured a fairly light brown, although with decent head and a bit of decent lacing. Very spicy hop aroma, with licorice hints in the nose. Very licoricey flavor with a fair bit of rye spiciness and some roasty maltiness, but overall the flavors just do not match well (very competing), with too much in the licorice/anise department. Went down alright, with malt smoothness and rye/hop roughness balancing out. On tap at Tomlinson Tap Room.

11-28-2011 23:21:30 | More by JamesS
Hangdog from Figure 8 Brewing
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.