Coffee Porter - Lefty's Brewing Company

good

Lefty's Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Kendo on 04-16-2010)
1.68/5  rDev -50.3%

This was my first, and based on it, probably my last Lefty's beer. I purchased a 22 oz bottle, of one of my favorite types of beer, Coffee Porter. I was hoping for a full, dark, chewy, creamy porter with strong coffee overtones. Instead, this porter is barely worth the name. Perhaps the worst thing was, to me, the most important- its taste. It was so astringent and sour that I could barely drink it. In addition, it had virtually no coffee taste, virtually no head, or aroma. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed.

To attempt to put this into perspective, two of my favs are Old Brown Dog Ale and Robust Potter, both by Smuttynose. I'm also partial to Scottish Ales such as the late and lamented McEwans or those from Orkney Breweries. Lefty's was nowhere near any of these.

HorneyMoose, Sep 28, 2013

Poured out an extremely dark amber. No head and nothing clinging to the sides of my glass.

Smells of sweet dark malts and a hefty amount of coffee.

Taste is definitely coffee. First there is some roasted caramel sweetness but then the coffee hits you. I was taken over by a chemical coffee flavor. More like a pot left cold all day. Dry finish. I can't really taste any hops because of the coffee.

It was medium bodied and stuck around for a while. I split a 22oz with two others and I'm glad I did.

DrinkingDrake, Feb 22, 2011

WanderingFool, Nov 10, 2013

sirsteve42, Apr 11, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a muddy brown with a small head that quickly disappears and leaves a bit of lacing.

aroma of coffee left out for a couple of days. a bit of cocoa and some caramel. not bad.

starts with a bit of burnt coffee and a touch of cocoa powder followed up with some minerals and a slightly sour taste that isn't too pleasing.

a touch thin with a slight, pleasant carbonation.

Needs some fine-tuning, but its a good, though not great beer. I'd skip over this for Berkshire's coffee porter 10 times out of 10.

silentjay, Jul 20, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

DCav, Nov 18, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

The last of four bottles of Lefty's Brewing that I had in my fridge. Poured into an Irish style pint glass. Formidable head forms atop a dark brown body. Minimal amounts of lacing on the glass. Aroma has hints of chocolate and coffee. The flavor those was the one thing about this beer that I was not too fond of. There was a nice porter flavor at first on the palate, but then the coffee aspect seemed to add too much sweetness. There was a sugary aspect to the flavor that I didn't like, followed oddly enough by a slight sour taste. Coffee seemed to be the last thing I was thinking about. Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth though. I liked most aspects of this beer, but I did not care of the taste. I enjoyed the other Lefty beers I had more than this one.

morebeergood, Jun 13, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

22 oz bomber that I got from a neighbor (how she got it I do not know, as the website for Lefty's says they only distribute in Franklin County, MA, and they just opened this week). Poured into a Spirit Haus pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy brown with mahogany hues when backlit. A 1-finger fizzy, khaki-colored head settles fast, leaving no head and no lace.

S: Roasted coffee and roasted malt. Ever-so-slight sweetness.

T: Website says it contains Sumatra coffee hand roasted by left himself. That coffee is very much noticed with the first sip, but not in an over-the-top, in-your-face sort of way. Roasted barley malt is there too, along with a sweet, root beer or birch beer kind of taste. Coffee subsides with a few sips; it's clearly still there, but not as dominant. As it warms there's a bit of chocolate noted as well. Finishes clean, but as it gets warmer there's more of a lingering sweetness.

M: Watery and thin; kind of flat in feel, though with some fine carbonation noted at the back end.

D: OK. Goes down relatively easily, as it's light and the overall flavor profile isn't bad.

Comments/notes: a step up from most homebrew, and decent-tasting, but not impressive. As this is the first review of their beer (and the website indicates they just opened this week), I'm hopeful that this nano-brewery is just getting warmed up. . . .

Kendo, Apr 16, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

blknikon, Apr 30, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

Stagga_Lee, Jul 22, 2014

amesfan, Dec 05, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +32.2%

This a great porter with nice color and smell. The coffee notes do not over-power the beer, rather it compliments it nicely. The drinkability is fantastic. It is a very smooth porter, very robust in flavor. It is not too heavy, which i enjoy. It is a similar recipe to their English Porter, but with fresh roasted ground coffee added.

earthtones333, Jul 24, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +32.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Ryan & Casey Liquors, Greenfield, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" tan head over the clear coppery brown brew. Head holds on pretty well, with thick lasting lace. Aroma is somewhat reserved, with coffee and sweet dark malt vying for attention.

Taste also finds coffee and dark sweetness working together throughout the experience, with some balancing bitterness at the close. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is easy. All in a good brew, and in my mind fits the English-style porter very well.

ppoitras, Aug 22, 2010