Chocolate Oatmeal Stout - Lefty's Brewing Company

Chocolate Oatmeal StoutChocolate Oatmeal Stout

Lefty's Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: ppoitras on 08-27-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a jet black color from the 22oz. bottle into pint glass with a half inch tan head that settles out to a layer of bubbles quickly.
S: Roasted and charred grains without as much depth as I was hoping. Semi-sweet chocolate aroma comes through with some notes of raisins and dried plums. Hops are not detectable in the aroma.
T: Some bitter roasted and burnt malt flavors meet up with a semi-sweet chocolate flavor. It is not such a clean and discernible chocolate flavor. The use of cocoa powder makes it a bit chalky. The sweet and bitter are in balance though. Also some dark fruity esters pull up the sweetness a bit. Hops bring the bitterness into balance but are hard to get a read on their flavor with all the roasted flavors.
M: Full body with light but ample carbonation. Some noticeable alcohol burn is a bit much for this style.
O: It is a decent beer that gets better as it warms up and can satisfy a malt lover but I question if it will satisfy one who loves good chocolate because the chocolate flavor is a bit chalky and not to the level it could be for a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. It is enjoyable to drink in fulfilling my Stout desire but I would not buy it again.

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at Taylor's Tavern in Greenfield.
A- 3.75 It had a nice black color that was maybe not as dark through as I might like but it didn't look too thin. The head subsided rather quickly but wasn't all too big to begin with, good pour.

S- 3.00 I could smell a little bit of chocolate but not a whole lot, the smell might have been the weaker part of the beer.

T- 3.75 The taste definitely was better than the smell, lots of chocolate and that fantastic oatmeal stout taste. The flavor was present and accounted for. It might not be the best I've had since the booziness of the beer came through a bit but it was really tasty.

M- 3.5 The mouthfeel was great and full but as others have mentioned the carbonation was more present than I was expecting. I can forgive that though since it's not a real problem for me and the mouthfeel is definitely pretty good for a stout but short of outstanding.

O- 3.5 It's not the best stout that I've had but it's local and far from bad. I'd definitely buy it again and would recommend it to others even if it isn't my top pick.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

3.83/5  rDev +16.8%

Appearance- 3.5 Dark opaque brown almost black but glows brown at the edges when held to the light. Huge khaki head that disappears somewhat quickly unfortunately.

Smell- 3 Sorta weak but Im getting bitter chocolate and malts.

Taste- 4.5 A mellow chocolate/caramel taste, reminds me of a more robust brown ale. You can taste the malts, in the truest sense of the word, and I like that.

MF- 3.5 Pretty high level of carbonation for a stout but still full bodied as a stout should be.

Overall- 4 Lefty's has succeeded again in their efforts to make a highly drinkable fairly priced (4 and some change) beer. I would recommend this one to beginners for sure OR to some veterans that like to have a few moderately priced "plan B's" on deck at all times.

2.38/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Poured an opaque black with reddish/brown tint on the edges. Got over 1/2 a glass of foam on the first pour, not sure why. Frothy cappucino head with good retention. No real lacing.

S - Nose is mostly cocoa under a heavy scent of off-putting metallic and adjunct-ness. Strong musty smell. Had to be something with the glass? Not appealing.

T - Some cocoa and slight bitterness from the roasty malts. A bit of lingering bitter dark chocolate in the finish. Flavors are slightly muddled under similar off-flavors from the nose. Oats lend a creaminess, however underwhelming and an afterthought.

MF - Some creaminess and thickness from the oats. Overall it's a bit disappointing. Fairly thin. High side on carbonation. Not great.

O - My first drain pour. Everything was off. Fairly sure it was a bad bottle. Even tried cleaning my pint glass and pouring again. Too bad, I liked the idea of a cocoa/oats combo.

1.63/5  rDev -50.3%

upon opening, its a slight gusher with foam protruding out of the bottle before i even get to pour it. more head than body pours into the glass. the body is not quite an opaque brown with mahogany coming through when held up to the light. the head is a light khaki that settles and laces okay.

aroma is of sour cherries. some lactic acid, some malts... but I'm thinking this is not what was intended. no chocolate, roast, or stout aromas that I would expect.

a bit of a roasted malt flavor comes through, but is quickly overtaken by many off-flavors. burnt plastic, a bit metallic, plenty of sourness. again, no chocolate flavors nor oatmeal smoothness.
I have had intentionally sour stouts and unintentionally sour stouts, and all of them have worked better than this.

fuzzy light/medium bodied beer with a watery finish and a sour aftertaste.

I'm assuming its an infected bottle. bought out of the store's cooler. the store is only 20 minutes from the brewery. placed directly into my fridge when I got home. As far as I can tell it was handled impeccably. It didn't taste like it, however.

Being a new brewer, I'll cut Lefty's some slack and try their beers again. maybe. but both of the beers I have tried so far have gone down the drain.

1.48/5  rDev -54.9%

This bottle was clearly infected.

a: This had a black body and it was carbonated to the point that it was difficult to pour.

s: Odd, earthy, hard water plus vegetable smell with a bit of sour fruit.

t: More of the same, though I did taste a bit of roasty chocolate. I've had infected beer before, but none with a vegetable note this strong.

m: Thin and fizzy.

o: Drain pour unfortunately. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this one.

3.83/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up on a whim from Russell's in Amherst from a brewery I'd never heard of. Like the other offering I had, it was nothing special.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a thick rich deep dark brown with a one finger light tan head that slowly faded to leave a mocha halo and thin cloud.

S - Light chocolate and roasted malts. Its all very light though and subtle. Really should be more assertive. Then, as the beer really warms up it gets more intense and smells more like flour and chocolate, yep, chocolate cake. Light nutty aromas too

T - Similar to the nose with roasty sweet dark malts and some light oat flavours. There is some light subtle chocolate notes and the ABV is slightly noticeable too.

M - Overall it is a bit thin. Not quite as thick and creamy of a stout as I would like.

D - This stuff is big time drinkable. For the ABV it goes down gulps at a time. Probably due to the thin, slightly watery mouthfeel. Still cant believe how this smell went from lackluster to wow with some warming. I never listen to brewers "keep refridgerated" labels, but this sucker around 60 degrees really opened up on the nose.

3.93/5  rDev +19.8%

A friend picked up a few bottles of Lefty's for me out in western MA. This was bottle number 1 of 4 different styles. Poured into a regular pint glass. Dark brown body, but when held to the light, it's very dark auburn color. Moderate sized head, but it disappears quickly. Some lacing at the top. Smell had a nice cappuccino aroma to it. Flavor was likable but very subtle. There was some nice notes of chocolate and coffee, but it all was very mild. The mouthfeel was average, but I would have liked it a bit thicker for a stout. A slight bit thin for the style. I have no idea how this beer is 7.2%; could have fooled me. A easy beer to drink and nothing too palate challenging. A nice intro to this smaller MA brewery.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »