Microbrew Invitational

LambruchaLambrucha

Vanberg & DeWulf
New York, United States | website

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Blend of two ancient and unique fermented beverages, Lambic and Kombucha. Brewed and bottled at De Troch by Vanberg & DeWulf.

Added by emerge077 on 03-17-2010

Reviews: 104 | Ratings: 219
2.07/5  rDev -44.8%

750ml bottle

Pours a cloudy dark golden orange color with golden yellowish pear hues when held to a light source and a one finger white head that slowly fades into a lasting ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Very earthy aroma with hints of soil and grass along with a strong tea leaf presence. Peppery spice with hints of cinnamon, peppermint and possibly some licorice. Slight lactic cream in the nose. The dank earthy tea leaf presence completely hides any of the lambic notes, if there are any. Not very funky with only a faint vinegary presence underneath. Very odd smelling with possibly some earthy hops.

This beer has a medium body which is on the lighter end of the spectrum and tastes more like a lambic than the aroma suggests. Very spicy up front with tight carbonation and hints of zesty pepper along with a slight puckering tartness which quickly fades into a slightly creamy lactic center. Dry finish. The vinegary presence from the aroma is the only sour/funky element of this beer but it is overpowered by the heavy spice presence and earthy tea leaf flavor. Also, some slight acidity. The tea leaves provide a slight tartness but really is just very earthy and unpleasant. An interesting idea that doesn't work so well.

2.23/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance – Pours an ugly cloudy golden color with a surprisingly thick head that sticks around a good while. Lots of lacing that slides right back into the beer.

Smell – Pickles and vinegar – WTF??? Am I the only one that hates the smell? Maybe others have acquired a taste for Kombucha; I haven’t.

Taste – Taste isn’t as bad as the smell. Sour and somewhat vinegary, with a touch of lemon and ginger.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonated with a lingering sour vinegary aftertaste.

Drinkability – Definitely not one my favorites. My wife liked it, but she loves Kombucha tea.

2.25/5  rDev -40%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Big head atop a clear yellow body. Nice retention.

Smell - Smells like pickles. Nasty.

Taste - Tastes like pickles, but doesn't taste as bad. Cleaner sour. Slight malt presence.

Mouthfeel - Light, sour. Good carbonation.

Overall - Really kinda gross. Not the worst I've had though.

2.28/5  rDev -39.2%

750mL bottle poured into tulip - thanks brian, i think

Pours a pale golden color with thick, frothy foam resting on top. Webbed lacing coats the glass, slowly dissolving.

Incredibly odd nose with funky, musty yeast and extremely vegetal notes. Touches of lambrucha and tea leaves, dirt, and herbs. Lactic tartness completes the muddled mess.

Starts off tart and funky, masquerading itself as a lambic for a brief moment with a dash of citrus peel and peppery spice. The entire experience goes completely off the rails in a flaming trainwreck shortly thereafter, obliterated by musty beans, dirt, offensive vegetal notes and rotting tea leaves. Random flavors of herb and meat (rosemary chicken?), increasing funk and tartness into the liberating finish.

Lighter medium body, slightly higher carbonation, bubbly and unfortunately lingering on the tongue. I think "what the fuck is this?" was the overall consensus on this beer. I've tried it more than once and hopefully this was the last time.

2.48/5  rDev -33.9%

Shared at a recent tasting. The best thing about this beer is that it was low in alcohol. Other than that....hmmmm....

The more I think about it, I want to describe it as a mix between a base lambic, a gruit ale, and a berleinweiss. Beer is yellow and hazy, high carbonation and a huge head. No lacing. Head is large and medium bubbles, falls away quickly but there is a lot of carbonation that continues for the duration.

Aroma is bright and lemony. Strong lactic character, smells like a strong berleinerweiss with lemon syrup. There is also a gruit / tea aroma, pretty strong. Very odd. I'm still really really afraid. I do think that it is what is intended.

I love lambics. Really sour Cantillons, Rene Gueuze, I just love lambics. Seriously. This is unlike any lambic I've ever had. First, its TOO carbonated, the carbonation on the tongue is harsh. Its too bright and very hard to drink. Citrus character and very thin. Lactic and a berleiner character throughout.

This is an interesting experiment. I would not drink it again though. I did not enjoy it. I wonder if the Lindemann's tea lambic is similar to this.

2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Green glass bottle with hood and wire cap over a cork acquired at an L.A. bottle shop for $12.99 and served into a New Belgium stem goblet in me gaff in Los Feliz. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high; it was recommended by a friend and I'm in the mood for a good sour.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger white colour frothy foamy head of good cream and thickness, and good retention - though the ABV is quite low so this isn't particularly impressive. No lacing whatsoever. Body colour is a pale lemon-gold. Semitransparent and translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Medicinal notes are dominant. Pale malts, a lemon twang, and some light hints of sourness. I expected far more from the aroma. Crystal malt. A mild strength aroma.

T: Citrusy lemon/orange twang is a highlight, with pale malts providing the foundation. Some herbal notes on the backend; I'm not fond of them. I've never had kombucha but if it tastes like this count me out. A bit bitter and earthy as well. Bleh. Imbalanced and not well built.

Mf: Tingly coarseness brings out the crystal malt. A bit champagney. Overcarbonated. Too thick. Good wetness.

Dr: Surprisingly difficult to drink for its low ABV. This is mostly because of the bothersome kombucha flavours, which I'm not at all a fan of. Maybe this is one I can chalk up to personal taste, but I wouldn't recommend this. That said, it is nicely refreshing.

C

2.86/5  rDev -23.7%

A-Pours a slightly hazy, pear juice color with a one and a half finger head that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells slightly peppery with some lemon and with an almost Ben-Gay menthol-ly aroma.

T-Tart lemony with a light, cidery quality and finishes dry with very little acidity or bitterness.

M-Very carbonated and prickly in the mouth with a very light body and slight dryness.

D-Pretty drinkable but it's a little one-note in the taste department, with lemon being that one-note. I was also hoping for some more acidity/sourness than is present in this one.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served this 750 mL green bottle in a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date but I've had this in my cellar since 7/10. The beer was champagne colored and despite a hard pour, there was only a small amount of bubbles which evaporated immediately.

The smell was medicinal. SweetTart candy. Not to forward with the aroma.

The taste was tangy and sour. 7-Up and Pixie Stix. Maybe a hint of powder. Floral. Salt? and faint yeastiness. Lots of candy going on here in the aroma and flavor. Lacking something, maybe it's past it's prime. I would try it again.

The mouthfeel was light with minimal carbonation, only a fine scrubbing prickle in the finish. This one is lacking something, maybe it's past it's prime. I would try it again.

This beer looks like some bronze like tea with a little carbonation and foam. The foam after each pour disspates very quickly.

The aroma is mostly tart, unripened green apples and a little barnyard funk. That's it...

You would never know theres was any tea used. Maybe it helps subdue some of the barnyard funky I maight have tasted. But I just get a mild puckery palate and some green apple skins.

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%

im not a big kombucha guy, so its hard to be objective about this one, which i have been looking at forever and afraid to try. surprised by its clarity, looks like champagne in the glass, clear yellow pale with a bit white bubbly head, very clean and neat fancy looking. the nose is brutal though, like straight yellow mustard, unappealing as it gets, acid and vinegar and cheap mustard. the flavor is far better, and the lambic is tasted ahead of the tea, which i appreciate. very very sour, and way more carbonated than anything else i have had from these guys. super dry and sour funky, but just too weird for me to get into or drink much of, sits weird in the belly, and now the tea really gets going. the carbonation is through the roof, and it seems to exacerbate the sourness of the beer. the flavor isn't all that bad, but i can't get past the yellow mustard nose, it turns the whole thing for me. i like the idea, and see it gaining in popularity with crooked stave and all, but it has yet to really catch on with me. maybe ill come around, maybe not.

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

So yeah. My first lambic. Sour. Tangy. Interesting and I'll need to try another lambic sometime but not sure these are going to be my jam. In part reserving my judgment because of the kombucha angle here. Lovely color though. Like a rosé.

3.12/5  rDev -16.8%

An oddly appealing ale of low body and alcohol, but packed full of flavor and complexity. Part beer and part fermented tea, this specialty ale is both refreshing and characterful.

Pouring a murky lemon color and with a pelicle-like foam, the beer has somewhat still look with stark white foam and mild lace.

Lemony and flowery, the nose offers a lot of aroma not found in other beers: lemon and lime, hibiscus, tart candies, cider, and a raw earthy scent of tea-like herbs, corriander, and dried orange peel.

Flavors are an intertwined bit of sweet and tart. Lemond rinds and lime juice is pit up against cidery apples, acetic tones, powdered sugar sweetness, banana, appricot, clove, and a grassy taste in finsih that's not exactly hop derived. Moderate acidity provides balance because of the low lying hop character, this is a sweeter tasting Lambic than I'm used to. The flowery notion in flavor gives an odd yet playful perfume character.

Light because of the acidic fruit character and spritzy in an almost sparkling wine kind of way. But somewhat dull in the way the unresolved sweetness lays on the tongue. Very odd to see this type of weight for a sour ale. Flowery slickness provides a coat of the tongue while allowing for a powdery dryish finish.

A very odd, but not unappealing beer. More dryness is needed to bring the beer closer to balance, to increase drinkability, and to keep the beer from tasting like fruit flavored candies.

3.15/5  rDev -16%

A- Pours a light golden orange color with a bit of hazy. White head that has very little retention and leaves no real lacing.

S- Probably one of the oddest smelling beers I've had. Smells of a bit of sourness not too much at all, some fruity smells, and tea. I guess not very "beer like."

T- Again, quite odd. Not really feeling a beer here. A bit of light fruits and very tea like.

M- Light in body and fairly high carbonation.

D- Pretty different here. Glad I got to try it, but I don't think I'll ever have this one again. Its easy to drink just not my thing.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%

I drank this from a 750ml bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer is medium honey gold with lots of carbonation. About 2 fingers of white head pours, but is gone right away. Decent lacing.

The aroma starts off lightly sour, but then you get a big whiff of the tea, which takes over the smell. Its interesting, unique, but not great for a beer.

The tase is the same, a slight sour start then just of weird tea flavor, not what I want in my beer.

If you are a huge tea fan, you might like this, otherwise it sucks.

3.19/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle from Binny's in Schaumburg, IL
No bottled on date
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

Lambrucha is an interesting idea that, in practice, seems to fail. While some kombucha I've had is like "gueuze light," the kombucha that is blended here seems to be flavored with ginger or some other herbs. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of tart or sour character, either being drowned out by the sweetened ginger kombucha or young lambic; not sure which. While this was interesting to try, I don't think I'd partake of this more than once. There are much better lambics out there, even if they aren't merged with anything else.

Pours a tall, fizzy head that has fairly good retention, gradually declining to a perpetual white cap. The head leaves minimal lacing as it descends. Body is a pale golden orange, somewhat hazy, with visibly active carbonation supporting the head.

Aroma is somewhere between a lime margarita and a sage with ginger drink. No apparent tartness, lemon citrus, or oak character.

Taste is of ginger and sage with very mild lambic-style tartness. There is a slight edge of lime. Very minimal to nonexistent Brettanomyces character, or they somehow co-opted the yeast to produce the ginger and sage characters instead of the usual. Again, very mild tartness, no lemon citrus, or oak character.

Beer is medium light with a fairly high carbonation level that settles as the beer ages in the glass. The result is a somewhat prickly feel that transitions to a smooth, light beer running across the palate. No puckering or tartness on the tongue or other parts of mouth.

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sampled from the bottle at The Map Room, Chicago: July 2010
a careful pour produces an almost two finger thick, pale white colored head that quickly falls. The beer is a hazy, gold hue. Wow, what an interesting nose, it actually smells like kombucha, that strangely sweet and tart character, with some tea infusion in the aroma. There is a fruitiness to the nose that reminds me of kiwi for some reason. The nose reminds me more of kombucha than Lambic, though there are a lot of similarities between the two. A touch of mushroom aromatics, a definite acetic edge that is just barely noticeable in and of itself, but definitely spices up the aroma of this beer (perhaps even being responsible for the fruit like aromatics.

Very light and effervescent feeling as it hits the tongue, it doesn't have the texture of a typical Lambic. It is nicely tart, in a light, refreshing sort of way. The finish reminds me of kombucha (with that tea infused flavor), not surprisingly with some lactic acid lingering on the palate as well as some light apple notes, and even light kiwi. While the tartness is mostly lactic, there are some soft other acid influences, that are just barely noticeable; this seems to be mostly acetic, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other secondary acids contributing to the mix.

This is certainly an interesting combination, despite the similarities between kombucha and Lambic, I feel that the former dominates the flavor and aroma profile of this blend. Perhaps this is due to the simplicity of the lambic that was blended in. This is extremely light and refreshing and this definitely goes down quite easily on a warm summer's day. This last and the fact that it is an interesting use of kombucha are the main selling points for this. Worth trying, but I can't seriously see myself getting this again, but I am also not a huge kombucha person.

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

Opening beer for another Map Room adventure. Low alcohol, good friends, and a pretty nice pour welcomed me to this style.

A- Pleasant single finger of head lasted its required minute before running off to become a bare minimum cloak of bubbles. The pure white head quickly left me with the tangerine-esque hues. Lots of carbonation that will disappear fast if you don't drink this beverage in time.

S- Great tart odor that cherries give off up front with a musk tag-along. The musk may have been the tea coming through as earthy, peat-like, and funk. I enjoyed the fruit tones, but the funk just made me realize this is not a beer i should bask in before each sip. Still enjoyable.

T- Tart spikes of bittersweet pleasure up front. Mild bitterness but no funk of tea. I'm wanting the tea that I signed up for! Where is it? It isn't bad that it is missing this, but you can't be proud of what failed to come through. Every sip is the same. No matter how I tried, I was left with just plain jane tartness.

M- In the beginning the crisp nature of carbon dioxide was perfect for pairing. If only it lasted longer, but it couldn't be the marathon runner I wanted. Watery to medium-watery composition gave me a reprieve from the strong tart nature.

D- One and I was done. Never again for me, but I wouldn't mind sharing with others. People said they might like to try it again in the future, but it wasn't what they wanted on that visit. Maybe I was thinking too much of my tea adventures in my house and was let down. Once again I'll try it, but probably not for a while.

3.45/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From notes taken 04/22/16:

Clear, bubbly, golden. Very champagne-like in appearance, right down to the white, fizzy, dissipating, but ever-reviving head. Gradually cloudier with each pour from this 750 ML bottle into this 6 oz flute. Smells about like GT’s Ginger Kombucha. Ginger, perhaps a little lemon, tiniest hint of vinegar. To the palate, watered down vinegar and/or lemon juice, ginger or perhaps just culture spiciness, pickled olive and metallic finish. Not as nasty as it sounds, but not easy to drink either. About like certain kombuchas, no surprise. Not to mention (especially sour) beers. If you already like those, you’re in luck. If not, good luck. About as light and spritzy and effervescent as expected.

Bottle thanks to Mikeymikee

Cloudy cider gold. Finger of white head. Nice tart nose. Lemons and mild musty funk. Flavors are like lemon lime soda with some sweet tarts crushed in it. Hint of the tea in the finish. Light bubbly body. Super easy drinker. Maybe not a true sour heads delight. However I could see crushing an entire 750 on a hot summer day.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from a bomber into tulip.

Good looking golden beer with nice foamy head, looks like a saison.

Smells like mustard seeds. Mustard seeds and saison yeast and some pepper, but mostly tart mustard.

Wow, yep, this tastes like mustard! Definitely notice the kombucha, more of a tea like tartness than lambic sourness. Tastes of dill, black pepper, Belgian yeast, a little funk. Mustard is really predominant though, what a strange beer! Definitely enjoyable though.

Decent carbonation, mouthfeel reminiscent of a berlinerweiss.

Unique beer, never had a beer that tasted like mustard before. Really a pretty good beer though.

PS I mixed this with a goudenband later--ketchup and mustard blend ftw.

6.9/10

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into a chalice. This pours a hazy light orange color with about an inch of fluffy white head.

Tart peaches in the aroma with a hint of black tea in the background. Sour with that basement must that we all enjoy so much. Sweet lemonade type flavor with some tart lemon on the finish. A little sweeter than I would really enjoy.

The body is light and the carbonation is sharp. Overall this one isn't bad. I'd preffer it to be a bit less sweet.

3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured a pale light peach orange with pale yellow highlights and had a finger of bubbly head that dissipated really quick leaving very little lacing sticking o the glass.

S: it had a funny sulfur aroma upfront with a bit of bretty funkiness but with some citrusy, oaky. tart notes, and vinous charater.

T: a blend of peachy sulfur flavors were noticeable on the first sip alongside citrusy, oaky, mild bretty funky accents and a touch of tart character.

M: the brew was medium in body with a high amount of prickly carbonation which had a sulfur, mild fruity, oaky, and tart finish.

D: regardless of the weird sulfur characteristics all around it was still pretty drinkable but wasn't as tasty as I thought it would be.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

750ml capped green bottle.

It pours a crystal clear light, bright, pinkish orange with a fizzy whie head that leaves not much lacing.

The smell is a step into the bizzare, literally the funkiest thing I have ever smelled.Pork, soy sauce, bratwurst, black pepper, lemon, berry, corraiander, curry, barnyard, funk, sourness, seriously WTF???

The taste is far less funky thank god. It is very gueuze like. But very tame compared to the smell. There is a lot of lemon in the flavor. It is really smooth there is a light funkiness, it is if you made gueuze light beer.

It is hugely carbonated, overly so.

This is one of those things that defies what is. Try it.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

750ml capped bottle drank out of my duvel tulip.

A- this one pours out a hazy glowing golden colored body with a finger of extremely bright white head on top. the head is quick to fizzle away and leaves behind nothing as far as lacing goes.

S- this is one funky brew! ripe cheese, mushrooms, well worn socks, and the typical barnyard notes. earthy and musty. a little bit of lemon zest. decently sour smelling.

T- the taste is every bit as funky as the nose. lots of ripe cheese, earthy/musty cellar, mushrooms, and used gym socks. a nice lactic sourness. lemon zest at the end.

M- the carbonation is out of control for a lambic. seriously, through the roof. the body is very thin. nice and sour with a dry finish.

O- this is the most unique lambic i have ever encountered. more of a novelty thing. i dont think ill pick up another one anytime soon. drinking the entire thing has made my stomach feel uneasy and im usually unaffected by anything.

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%

Finally, my first review of an Unblended Lambic! I was lucky enough to find this at Dutch's outside of Cincinnati. It pours a rich and severely cloudy apricot orange in color with a bright white head that quickly dissipated. It smells of tea leaves, honey, and mint. It's a nice threesome and formidable enough. The flavors are pretty subtle and the flavor fades very quickly. It tastes of tea leaves plus a belgian pale plus souring yeasts. The mix is kind of strange and awkward. The finish is so fast you have to ponder what just happened. It has a lightly sour tinge that leaves a leafy, minty flavor behind but like I've said, it's short lived. It drinks a little too light and as I've stated, it finishes fast. It's hard for me to fully endorse. Is it a solid drink? Yes. Is it worth it worth the 8.99 price tag? Also a yes. It's two older styles combined to make an interesting beer. I say go for it.

Lambrucha from Vanberg & DeWulf