Lambrucha - Vanberg & DeWulf

good

Vanberg & DeWulf visit their website
New York, United States

Lambic - Unblended |  3.50% ABV

Blend of two ancient and unique fermented beverages, Lambic and Kombucha. Brewed and bottled at De Troch by Vanberg & DeWulf.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 03-17-2010)
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a whitish pale straw color, very similar to a wit, more of a pale peach color actually. The head is spritzy and short lived; settles quickly into a light ring.

The aroma is of a tart lemon, green apple and perhaps a hint of white grapefruit. There is a spice note that I imagine come from the tea. The aroma is very fruity and vibrant.

The taste is of tart grape skins, light apple skin, lemon and a touch of vinegar. The beer is very spritzy so it seems that the beer loses its flavor a bit. I pick up some pepper spice from the tea but not much else.

This sucker is very carbonated; spritzy is the perfect word. The beer is tart on the palate and finishes dry. Great to cleanse the palate.

A nice tart beer and quite refreshing. The flavor is a tad lacking and is one dimensional. Definitely worth a try.

Gmann, Aug 11, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

This one's an oddball. I'm not really familiar with kombucha at all, I've only ever had it in beer.

A- Hazy mild orange with an active head that settles out quickly. Spritzy, high carbonation.

S- Like lemonade. Sweet, a bit tart, and very 'fresh' and fruity. A little more must and dust comes out as it comes to temperature.

T- The lambic is bright, tart, and lemony, although it's really pretty soft in the grand scheme of things. The tea imparts some strange floral notes and perhaps a bit of earthiness, although the earthiness is fleeting. I get a bit of papaya and strawberry jam.

M- Light, spritzy, crisp, refreshing. Flavors are mellow and subdued, this beer is almost gulp-able. Very enjoyable.

O- A damn good and very unique beer. I'm impressed, and this def. exceeded my expectations. I'll be buying more, and hope it's more than a one-off. Good stuff.

ShogoKawada, Aug 08, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours pale golden orangey in color with a mild haze and two fingers of extemely fizzy - snap, crackle, pop! fizzy white head that loudly falls to an uneven skim coat that gets constantly replenished by a steady stream of fresh bubbles eminating from the bottom of the glass.

S - Very, very funky aroma...extreme horse blankets, wet hay, horse manure, wet earth with a bit of floral aromas, some citrus, a dirty kind of tartness. One of the funkier beers I've ever experienced. This smells great!

T - Tart and quite lemony up front. Limes, perhaps other citrus also contribute to the tart fruitiness. Tartness and sourness at a medium intensity level - giving an overall brightness to the flavors and a refreshing, thirst quenching character. A bit puckering and mouth drying on the finish that makes you long for another sip. There is also an herbal coolness that crops up in the middle of each sip (perhaps the tea infusion here). Yeasty and a bit earthy, but sadly, the funk that is so prominent in the aroma is largely missing in the flavor, possibly overpowered by the tart citrus that dominates the flavor profile.

M - On the thin side of medium - definitely not heading towards watery though. Actually a surprising amount of body is present, but within style and desirable. A bit of funk, but mostly tart, lemon/limeade like and a bit yeasty. Carbonation is strong and soda-like - maybe even a bit over the top...getting a bit of a bloated feeling from downing this one in rather short order.

O - This is a bit of a surprise for me. I went into this without a lot of expectations and actually thought it might be a bit gimicky...and maybe it still is. Not sure exactly what the tea added to this. However, I really enjoyed this beer - this makes for a good summer refresher - low alcohol and going down like lemonade. Definitely worth a shot...price point will likely keep me from getting this too often, but I see myself buying this again in the near future.

portia99, Aug 07, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for sharing.

A: Hazy pale tangerine body under a thin layer of fine, frothy white head that settles into a ring. Fine.

S: Sour, intensely lemony acidity on top of a distinct aroma that must be from the tea. Nicely herbal, fresh, and vibrant.

T: Lovely fresh tartness, mellow malt, big lemon, and some clean herbal complexity on the finish. Terrific.

M: Light body with a moderate dose of fine, lively effervescence. Great.

O: This was a terrifically refreshing beer, perfect for drinking outside on a warm summer evening. I'd rather have a straight Geuze, of course, but the Kombucha really went well with the vibrant Lambic sourness. Wonderful stuff.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jul 31, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

Immense thanks as always to ShogoKawada for sending on the goodies. Poured from a 750mL bottle into my Drie Fonteinen tumbler.

Jonquil body with a big active papaya whip head that recedes to a fine lasting collar and faint isles of surface slick.

Pungent kambocha tartness in the nose, joined with a cellar-like aroma with attic/cobwebs/penicillin. Strongly aromatic - paving the way for a flavor bomb.

Lemon, kiwi, raspberry seeds, and sourdough on the palate. Simple but enveloping. No hops that I can detect, as you would expect I suppose. Tart throughout with a mild funk into the finish. Extremely refreshing with hints of lychee in the aftertaste.

Light bodied, crisp, and spritzy...though faintly oily as well.

I didn't think this combination would work as well as it does - the elements of both beverages are largely preserved and retain their own qualities while the combination is quite distinctive and ingenious. I generally hate when brewers really mess with tradition, but it's hard to find fault with this one.

augustgarage, Jul 27, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Every now and again you come across a truly novel beer that really is set apart. Lambrucha is one of those novel beers. It starts out looking like a very fizzy Belgian with a crisp white head and almost champaigne like in its carbonation. The nose is very yeasty almost musty. You couldn't tell the very low ABV from the nose.

As for the test, this has a wine spritzer like quality. There are lots of lemony and orangey flavors, the beer is very sweet, very light, refreshing, and definite summery aide. I wasn't picking up strong hints of the tea but the lambic is very evident. This beer is very naturally carbonated, especially right after the first pour. Things mellow a bit shortly thereafter. The beer is very low ABV, which comes as no real surprise because there is zero booziness to this beer, not even hints. It's an interesting, fizzy, almost champaigne like experience at low ABV. This one does push the dimensions of how divergent and varied beer can be. It's unique but I won't be rushing out for more anytime soon.

albern, Jul 04, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +13.3%

I love the concept of this beer. Lambic and kombucha is a great idea and works extremely well together. This beer iswell balanced between the sourness from the lambic and the tea. It is a beer I pick up almost every time i go to the liquor store, i just cant get enough of it.

rwmiscik, Jul 03, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a tulip. The color is light straw. There is a thin light colored head.

The aroma is full of nice clean sour lemon with the tea aromas making their presence in the background.

The taste is very full of sour lemon and drinks like an unsweetened Arnold Palmer. The tea component is just enough to add a layer of complexity while not inhibiting the soul of the beer and yeast combo.

This is light and refreshing; though the drinkability is lowered slightly by the intense sourness (I am a fan of said sourness). I like the high carbonation for this one.

I really like this one; I might try to track another down for a refreshing beverage during a hot summer day.

andrewinski1, Jul 02, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.8%

750ml capped bottle drank out of my duvel tulip.

A- this one pours out a hazy glowing golden colored body with a finger of extremely bright white head on top. the head is quick to fizzle away and leaves behind nothing as far as lacing goes.

S- this is one funky brew! ripe cheese, mushrooms, well worn socks, and the typical barnyard notes. earthy and musty. a little bit of lemon zest. decently sour smelling.

T- the taste is every bit as funky as the nose. lots of ripe cheese, earthy/musty cellar, mushrooms, and used gym socks. a nice lactic sourness. lemon zest at the end.

M- the carbonation is out of control for a lambic. seriously, through the roof. the body is very thin. nice and sour with a dry finish.

O- this is the most unique lambic i have ever encountered. more of a novelty thing. i dont think ill pick up another one anytime soon. drinking the entire thing has made my stomach feel uneasy and im usually unaffected by anything.

jwinship83, Jun 27, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +0.3%

another fun beer enjoyed in an awesome tasting with aasher. Poured in a New Belgium snifter with virtually no foam head and an apricot color.

wreaks of a sour ale with no real hop character. Lemon rind is on the nose and it pretty much bottoms out after that

Extremely tart like a sour without any floral hops. Very smooth. If I was sitting at the pool i could drink this all day.

The initial hit on the palate is very tart with lemon and slight caramel, but it bottoms out very fast just like the smell

The most important part about this beer is that my girlfriend would drink it all day and i could as well.

zep9865, Jun 22, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -2.4%

Finally, my first review of an Unblended Lambic! I was lucky enough to find this at Dutch's outside of Cincinnati. It pours a rich and severely cloudy apricot orange in color with a bright white head that quickly dissipated. It smells of tea leaves, honey, and mint. It's a nice threesome and formidable enough. The flavors are pretty subtle and the flavor fades very quickly. It tastes of tea leaves plus a belgian pale plus souring yeasts. The mix is kind of strange and awkward. The finish is so fast you have to ponder what just happened. It has a lightly sour tinge that leaves a leafy, minty flavor behind but like I've said, it's short lived. It drinks a little too light and as I've stated, it finishes fast. It's hard for me to fully endorse. Is it a solid drink? Yes. Is it worth it worth the 8.99 price tag? Also a yes. It's two older styles combined to make an interesting beer. I say go for it.

aasher, Jun 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance: Nice golden-straw-yellow-peach pour with a nice had and a touch of lacing

Smell: Arnold Palmer (ice tea and lemonade) almost, nice light lemon up front with perhaps a touch of orange

Taste: Again, arnold palmer with a touch of funk and a nice sourness. Light bits of funky cheese.

Mouthfeel: Very light, spritzy carbonation. Refreshing.

Overall: Very enjoyable and a charm at 3.5% abv. Well done. I'd love a few in the picnic basket.

craytonic, May 24, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that completely faded away.
S: There are moderate aromas of the Kombucha tea and lemons in the nose along with some hints of sourness.
T: The flavors in the overall taste are essentially evenly divided between sourness and the tea.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low amount of carbonation.
O: This beer definitely has a very unique smell and taste. I would definitely try this again if I have an opportunity to do so.

metter98, May 23, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

750mL bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy golden yellow/orange color. Produced a large effervescent off-white head that stuck around for awhile. Some lace left behind.

(S)- A dry yet earthy tea-like vegetable spice aroma up front. Hints at a lemon-like acidity and fruit.

(T)- Similar to the smell but backwards. A nice acidic orange and lemon sourness. Finishes in a light vegetable-like tea spice.

(M)- A nice crisp carbonation level. A nice balance too of sour, fruit, and spice. Smooth yet acidic. Very mild bitterness.

(D)- A light, crisp and mild sour. Not really sure on how this fits into the traditional unblended lambic style, but I sure did enjoy this one's uniqueness for what it offers. At the same time, this is very inexpensive for the size of the bottle and what you get.

sweemzander, May 21, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -3%

Blind Beer #1 from Khazadum, with the text: "Number 1! I think... No. I know! This... this is the best way to start this partay." I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Glassware recommendations say flute or stange, so in it goes into my Sam Adams Infinium flute.

A - The bottle is a 750ml champagne bottle with green glass and a green, oversized cap on it. No cork so I think that eliminates Fantome... After popping the cap, it sprays a little bit, but it's not a gusher thankfully. It's tough to pour as if you go slowly, it just dribbles down the side of the bottle, but if you pour quickly, you are left with 95% foam, 5% liquid in the flute. After some tricky decanting, I'm left with a glass full of a strange colored liquid. I would best describe it as runoff storm water. It sort of looks like a peach wine cooler, or white grape sparkling wine. It has that in-between color of peach, yellow, orange, and clear. It's a little bit hazy, and there is a ton of carbonation rushing to the surface. The head is 2.5-fingers of foam consisting of tightly packed bubbles with some bigger ones flaring out at the top. Retention is solid, probably thanks to the carbonation. Not much lacing, however, as the foam rather sticks to the rest of the liquid. (4/5)

S - My first smell had me thinking what the hell this was. Due to the bottle shape and the first sniffs I had when opening it, I figured this may be a gueuze, but there's something... off about it. I'm getting some more traditional funky aromas, especially at first, such as horse blanket, old cheese, and strangely smelling feet, but there's some spice added to this too, I think. There's definitely something peppery and herbal about this. I'm thinking it's rosemary. After letting it warm up and smelling it more, I'm almost positive there's rosemary or thyme in this. (3.5/5)

T - This has a very interesting taste and it's not entirely what I was expecting. I'm thinking maybe my original guess of gueuze may be wrong here, as it's not really all that sour. It's more tart than that, but I could be off as I haven't had many gueuzes... Again, the pepper and spice is back in full force, and I'm sticking with my original guess of rosemary. The back-end has more of a sour kick than the front. Besides the spice I'm not getting a whole lot else here. (3.5/5)

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with high carbonation. This goes down pretty easily and the carbonation adds a pop to it in the mouth. The aftertaste and finish leaves a slight puckering in the mouth and is tart. (4/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. At first I took my time with this beer, but as I drink it and it opens up, the flavors coalesce better and it's actually pretty pleasant to drink. Even so, it will be pretty tough to drink this whole bottle alone so I think I may save some for later on. (3.5/5)

Honestly I'm kind of stuck here. My heart is telling me to guess gueuze, but my mind's telling me no.

The reveal: Vanberg & Dewulf Lambrucha. Damn. I wanted to say I got some kind of tea in here but just chalked it up to rosemary. Never had an unblended lambic before and I really messed up the gueuze guess though!

I love this BIF already!

nhindian, May 20, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +24.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a flute glass. Had a pale yellow color and a slightly cloudy texture. There was a big, fizzy/foamy, long-lasting head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: A super strong, tart, sour aroma. Very, very aromatic.

T: Tasted of citrus, malt, other light fruits, some alcohol esters, a little hops and the advertised tea thrown in. This last element is very mild by comparison. Very tart and a little sour, but extremely vibrant, complex and flavorful.

M: A whole lot of carbonation with a slightly slick finish. Light- to medium-bodied.

O: One of most interesting lambics I've tried in a while. Very focused and very easy to drink.

avalon07, May 16, 2011

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

Not extremely familiar with kombucha, but it definitely sounds intriguing, especially when some lambic is involved as well. This concoction pours a hazy amber-orange juice topped by a bit more than a finger of fairly rapidly-diminishing white foam. The nose comprises orange peel, lemon zest, coriander, black pepper, parsley, clove, and limeade. The taste holds notes of lemon, lime, green apple, cinnamon, mild pepper (by this I mean hot, a la jalapeno or something), cilantro, and lightly tart green grapes. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a sticky feel. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this unique brew. I'm not sure I'd actively seek it out very often, but it is a very nice change of pace.

TMoney2591, Mar 21, 2011

Served in a mug

This is the first of this style that I've had the good fortune to try.

The appearance is a orange cloudy body with a white frothy head. The nose is a bready orange combination with some lemon lime citrus in the back and some slight pepper and vinegar on the nose as well. It may sound hodgepodged, but it' actually really nice. The flavor carries the bready yeast flavor with it. The flavor I most prominently get is an orange-cinnamon flavor. There is a touch of the lemon tartness that carries throughout the body. I find everything about this beer to be greatly appropriate for both its style and my taste buds, it's a very good beer.

Vdubb86, Mar 20, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +27.4%

I finally got to stop in at the raved-about, The Map Room and immediately felt right at home. Amazing tap & bottle selection. This place warrants a visit all on it's own, but a quick stop for a Vanberg & DeWulf's Lambrucha was just what I needed to strip away all the Mexican fats & flavors of Arturo's tacos. It's probably one of the most refreshing beers I have ever tried! Two of my favorite yeasty fermented flavors (lambic & kombucha) blended into one low ABV, palate cleansing beverage. Highly recommended if you can find it (apparently it's only currently available in Chicago).

burnheartsMKE, Mar 01, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Bobby for sharing this. I've been wanting to try it for quite some time now.

A: This one pours a surprisingly clear yellow color with a touch of pink and a short lived white head.

S: A very earthy nose to this, which was sort of surprising. A bit of a mushroom type aroma, and wet dirt. Spice and phenols along with plenty of yeast. Moderate acidity, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

T: The same earthy quality is present on the palate with a strong mushroom, dirt, and wet oak. A big bacterial presence and a lot of lactic acidity and moderate sour. A really different flavor.

M: The body is quite light with a high level of carbonation and a dry finish.

D: I liked this, which didn't really surprise me, but considering what it really is, I don't think I would buy much of this at a fairly high cost.

womencantsail, Feb 28, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poured a pale light peach orange with pale yellow highlights and had a finger of bubbly head that dissipated really quick leaving very little lacing sticking o the glass.

S: it had a funny sulfur aroma upfront with a bit of bretty funkiness but with some citrusy, oaky. tart notes, and vinous charater.

T: a blend of peachy sulfur flavors were noticeable on the first sip alongside citrusy, oaky, mild bretty funky accents and a touch of tart character.

M: the brew was medium in body with a high amount of prickly carbonation which had a sulfur, mild fruity, oaky, and tart finish.

D: regardless of the weird sulfur characteristics all around it was still pretty drinkable but wasn't as tasty as I thought it would be.

Gobzilla, Feb 25, 2011

This beer looks like some bronze like tea with a little carbonation and foam. The foam after each pour disspates very quickly.

The aroma is mostly tart, unripened green apples and a little barnyard funk. That's it...

You would never know theres was any tea used. Maybe it helps subdue some of the barnyard funky I maight have tasted. But I just get a mild puckery palate and some green apple skins.

scruffwhor, Feb 25, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Faintly foggy pastel lemon with an alabaster crown that is both crackly and sponge-like. The lid looks pretty good while it lasts... but it doesn't last... and it doesn't grace the glass with more than a few dots and spots of suds.

The nose is an enjoyable blast of freshly zested lemons, along with a 'just right' amount of fairly tame musky funkiness. It smells like this Vanberg & DeWulf Belgian ale will be an enjoyable bottle of beer.

This reviewer is definitely not the first person (or the 50th) that should be consulted when it comes to lambics, gueuzes and sours. That's what we have Gueuzedude for. Having said that, this blended ale is pretty good stuff if you like low-ABV, citrusy tart, faintly funky, quenching, dry-at-the-finish summer picnic beer.

Crisp and crackery pale malts don't provide much flavor or body. Lambrucha is pretty much all top notes, which include a few orchard's worth of lemons, tart apples, a small shot of white wine vinegar, and a few threads from a straw-flecked horse blanket. Not that I've actually tasted that last one.

Since I have no idea what Kombucha tea tastes like, hard to tell if it's appreciated or not. It's interesting that this is the second beer in the past 4 days (Goose Island Fleur) that has contained Kombucha. The mouthfeel is feather light and appropriately sparkly.

Even though this is not a beer that I'll bring home again (especially not at $9.99 per), it's an enjoyable taste of summer sunshine on a day when the mercury will struggle to reach double digits. Bottom line: probably worth the price for those who love the style.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a bottle into a wine glass.

a-When i popped the cap it sprayed a sandy/dirt like substance everywhere. It was off putting to say the least, however, the beer poured just fine. The color was that of pineapple juice and totally opaque.

s-Tart grapes, candy, vinegar, citrus fruit, and of coarse tea.

t-I am very impressed by the taste. Much of the nose matches the taste. Fresh citrus fruit juice and a tart vinegar funk that i cant seem to get enough of. This beer is somewhat reminiscent of a qeueze or rene.

m-The medium carbonation quickly subsides to a very clean finish.

d-Can't stop drinking this beer due to the flavor which is refreshing. Its very low alcohol which helps too.

volklshred, Dec 09, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

At the Ravens and Lambic event at Max's today.

Golden clear with no head or lace, this doesn't look like much. The nose is actually pretty enjoyable. Lemon and tea are most noticeable, there's a herbal tea tannin character with mild spices. The kombucha contribution is rather noticeable. As it warms up, I get some spruce and juniper, this is mildly gruit like. The palate is the same, with more tea tannin, bright sour lemon and a drying finish that's got herbal tea and lemon peel. Light body, moderate carbonation, the finish is drying and tart. Solid stuff, this is pretty darned refreshing and quenching. I would drink this again.

DefenCorps, Oct 18, 2010