St. Pauli Girl Special Dark - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli Girl Special DarkSt. Pauli Girl Special Dark

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Special Dark Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
ADR

2.53/5  rDev -17%

I’ve had a few of these kicking around the refrigerator for a while, now...

Clear dark brown leaning toward the reddish side. Stubbornly refuses to generate a head, and it won’t lace – almost like it was waxed. Somewhat biscuity aroma. Mildly malty flavors, some sense of distant molasses and dark Karo. Finishes over carbonated and faintly metallic. I didn’t detect any skunk but this beer is no where close to the quality its price suggests.

01-08-2003 09:16:15 | More by ADR
Dogbrick

2.53/5  rDev -17%

Better than the original St. Pauli Girl but that isn't really a big acomplishment in my opinion. Got this at a wedding recep (it was either this or Corona Light) so I figured what the heck. Dark honey color with a medium thick beige head with little lacing. Slight malt nose but nothing to write home about. Light malt and nut flavoring but again they aren't really pushing the envelope here. I would not go out of my way to get it again.

11-13-2002 10:24:18 | More by Dogbrick
bditty187

Nebraska

2.5/5  rDev -18%

Nothing about St. Pauli Girl Special Dark is noteworthy. The malt, in regards to the taste, was poor at best. The roastedness was too akin to watered down old coffee. I think I could detect a hint of chocolate… no guarantee. The graininess was unwelcomed as was the metallic/soapy endnote. The nose was unimpressive as well. The mouthfeel was dry but grating. The body was dark brown, the head disappeared ultra fast. It would also appear the green bottle did not help my sample.

I never need to drink another. Not recommended.

11-06-2002 13:17:45 | More by bditty187
brewdlyhooked13

2.5/5  rDev -18%

This review is less about the numbers and more about the experience. My apologies to the left-brained statistical types out there, hope this doesn't skew the ratings too severely.

BUT, I found this six-pack at Kroger's. Looked nice in its foil wrapper with the requisite German blonde lovely on the label hauling 6 steins of brew. Oddly, one of the labels appeared whited out, no picture. Strange I thought, I'll get this six-pack and see what happens.

The first beer - poured nicely into the glass, kind of light for a dark beer body-wise but that's cool by me. Great aroma slightly chocolate but not overpowering. Little head, not as much color as I was expecting, so I prepared myself for a lighter tasting dark beer. That's fairly accurate but it does have a very pleasant chocolate and grain taste. Impressive mouthfeel as I was kind of under-anticipating much from this one. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and was ready to talk it up for this review.

Then came the following week and the bottle whose label had been whited out. I poured it into the pint glass and didn't even have to get my face near the glass when the skunk first hit. It wasn't a terribly strong odor, but the fact that beer #1 had no skunk made this one stand out all the more. I examined the bottle, fwiw, and through that damn green glass I could see the label had actually been applied in reverse fashion. Could it be this bottle had somehow got out of the assembly line and sat somewhere for awhile, then re-submitted? I don't know.

The taste was okay but the beer's flavor is not strong enough to withstand the effect of the mild skunking. It was half dark beer taste, half Le Pew. Sampling two more of the six revealed skunking on those as well. I still have 2 beers left, so I'm one for four on the six pack so far. There should be a law about putting beer in green glass. These packages sit under the fluorescent lights of Kroger's beer shelves for who knows how long. I probably got lucky that one beer tasted good, so I can only give this one 2.5's. My only advice is avoid the DGB's at all costs unless you know the beer arrived that day, then buy it and keep it in the dark fridge until serving time.

10-29-2002 12:52:02 | More by brewdlyhooked13
BitteBier

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +15.7%

Looks like a cola both in terms of carbonation (a spartan head) and color. Smell is somewhat sweet and quite smooth, but decidedly unremarkable. Taste is likewise unremarkable. This beer's biggest virtue is its crisp, smooth mouthfeel and resulting drinkability.

10-19-2002 16:30:56 | More by BitteBier
aaronh

3.75/5  rDev +23%

Pours with a very nice head that lasts quite a while for a lager. Once the head fades, theres not much left to remind you of the impressive display from the initial pour, just a very thin ring. The beer is a nice deep color, reminiscent of a cola; it has some transparency and some deep amber higlights. The aroma is of roasted malt sweetness. Very nice, but no hops are evident. The tase is smooth, with a good bit of roasted malt and a hint of bittersweet chocolate. There is also a nice hop bitterness on the finish. A bit more sweetness is evident as the beer warms. The beer sports a fairly good mouthfeel for a lager, with a slight creaminess. While the flavor is not exceptional, I think I could drink these all night long with no complaints.

10-07-2002 15:58:53 | More by aaronh
faubs

Louisiana

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

The color is not too bad, a deep mahogany. Not so dark that you cant see through the glass. Very little hop attitude, which actually makes it quite thin in texture. No real head to speak of, only a faint line around the top. The flavor, however, makes up for some of the texture, with a fairly rich taste. The down side of that is a slightly acidic after-taste. Maybe its just me but the aroma is what kills me about this beer, a faint impression of ivory soap…and no its not just my glass, it’s the same in the bottle. However with all of that said, still a good beer with personality.

09-30-2002 21:58:31 | More by faubs
proc

3.25/5  rDev +6.6%

I enjoy this beer. Roasted malt taste that isn't overwhelming. A light chocolate and molasses presence. A very drinkable beer. A nice dark to introduce those who are "afraid of the dark".

09-11-2002 05:49:40 | More by proc
Jason

2.28/5  rDev -25.2%

Good clarity but the head retention is lacking with only a thin ring of lace. Bight brownish amber in colour.

Faintly sweet caramelized malt and a bit metallic in the aroma with a cloying note in the back.

Carbonation is level with a decent crispness, both grain and the little amount of hops have a mild astringent bite to them. Malt seems a bit lost and does not lay down much other than some vague toasted grain. Mild metallic taste middle to end. Dry and a bitty after taste.

This is a poor example of a dark Euro lager. Needless to say I have no need to go back to this beer and don’t recommend it at all.

09-02-2002 15:31:44 | More by Jason
Jon

2.98/5  rDev -2.3%

This is a pretty average beer all the way through. It pours a dark brown/ruby color with a foamy head that you won't see for very long. Smelled kind of funky at first, but after breathing for a while, the smell improved a little bit. Damn the green bottles. The taste could use a bit more malty tones. Mouthfeel is very watered-down, but it's easy to drink. It's a good thing this beer was on sale at the store. I know I wouldn't buy it at full price.

08-22-2002 15:39:46 | More by Jon
inebrius

3.08/5  rDev +1%

Head diminished quick yet what was left laced up well. Malty cabbage nose. Decent dose of bittering hops would benefit from a bigger malt spine. Thin and watery, which ultimately brings drinkability up, but mouthfeel down. On par with Beck's, slightly below Warsteiner.

The chick on the bottle has some nice jugs, though. Like three in each hand. Of the liter variety.

08-08-2002 07:07:53 | More by inebrius
ryanocerus

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured dark ruby with minimal head. Excellent carbonation ups the mouthfeel. The aroma was slightly off with evident alcohol. The flavor was slightly bitter, but light. As it warms, the flavor maltens up. Refreshing if the beer is fresh.

Edit: After revisiting this beer, I think the smell was more malty than I reported and I think these were a little fresher. So, I upped the smell from 3.0 to 3.5 and the drinkability from 3.0 to 3.5. Not as good as the Warsteiner Dunkel, but good.

07-31-2002 11:43:41 | More by ryanocerus
chilidog

3.98/5  rDev +30.5%

This is a good,drinkable dark brown thats easy on the taste. I also thought its alittle thin on body. The tan head & lace are gone quickly (45 sec.) after pour,never to be seen again.Its a good beer to have around if you want the kids to think your drinking a flat cola.

06-10-2002 16:40:01 | More by chilidog
marc77

2.88/5  rDev -5.6%

The decent and well retained head leaves very intracate a lace. Dark ruby in hue and very clear like a well lagered brew should be. Lightly toasted Munich malt aroma. Uh oh-- it's slightly skunked. The initially earthy and spicy Hersbrucker hop nose is followed by sulfury mercaptans. If it weren't for the green bottle and my bad luck, this would've smelled quite nice. Clean all around in flavor, but nothing stands out and make this beer particularly memorable. The body is a bit thin. Sweet caramel and slightly toasty Munich malt flavors are there, but aren't particularly assertive. Finishes sweet and inoffensive.

04-28-2002 19:21:06 | More by marc77
Todd

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle. An inviting St. Pauli Girl, steins in hand, on the front, best before date on the back and foil neck.

Appearance: Clean looking brown colour with dark amber hues. Well retaining off-white head that sticks.

Smell: Soft grain notes, mild sulfur aromas (by-product of certain lager yeasts) and light floral hop.

Taste: Very smooth with a light mouthfeel. Light to medium bodied. Malt flavours are mildly sweet, lightly toasted with hints of faint molasses. Hops are a bit floral in flavour with a delicate bitterness. The brew then goes dry and refreshingly crisp with grain flavours and more sulfur notes.

Notes: Very drinkable and refreshing. I enjoyed it very much. A nice dark lager and overall import.

12-07-2000 00:33:55 | More by Todd
« first ‹ prev | 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next › last »
St. Pauli Girl Special Dark from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.