St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,017 | Reviews: 415

This is my absolute favorite beer of all time. I think it tastes great, even if it does not have a reputation of being an excellent beer. To me, it is just a higher quality, slightly more sophisticated version of domestic party and game-day beers like Budweiser and Miller, and if that does't sound appealing to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

4.62/5  rDev +61%

i really love this beer.. i enjoy getting a 12 pack with my buddies hanging out a bsing.. looking at her.. shes a cutie..
light yellow when poured..
tastes smooth.. not over powering with hops or malts..
you can have more then 4 or 6 cand still keep on going and not get a dry palate
overall.. drink it

4.52/5  rDev +57.5%

Great bitter beer with a smooth finish

4.5/5  rDev +56.8%

I try as many different beers as anybody and this is one I keep comming back to. I agree with the reviewer about freshness. It really does make a difference. I don't care what anyone says this is a great refreshing beer and one of my all time favorites. German lagers must be my taste preference. Enjoy!

4.4/5  rDev +53.3%

This beer has always had a special place in my heart, my first favorite good beer. Undoubtedly ingrained in my mind from the pauli girl posture that hung in our garage during my childhood. In spite of how far my beer horizons have grown, I still find myself coming back to this one time and time again, partially out of sentiment, and that I think it's a tasty, easy drinking example style. For those situations where the proletariat demands a macro lager, this always comes through. In fact, we served this at my wedding.

One of the rare times I've poured it into a glass, this time into a nonic pint, it's a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades to a steady skim, fed by the steady streamers.

The aroma is moderate, raw grain, leafy hops, and a sulfur skunkiness.

The taste is also grainy and skunky, a bit of bread dough as well, with a dry, bitter, crisp noble hop finish.

The mouthfeel is crisp and the body is very light. It seems a little watery out of the glass, but I never notice this out of the bottle.

Since I like this beer, I can drink it like water. My go to cheap hot drink a lot brew, it never lets me down...while I recognize that I drank their kool-aide, it's pretty good. Indeed, some girls are unforgettable!

4.35/5  rDev +51.6%

Traditional german taste. Great pilsner. Reminds me a lot of Heineken but tastes better to me.

4.34/5  rDev +51.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. Traveled Europe, Canada and SA for work and have had several hundred types. Yes, it is like Heineken but more everything! Listen, people rated Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada - for it's high alcohol content. People tend to like to get a kick, especially when you drink lots. I'm a PHD and know that from all the alcoholics I see. This is a great tasting beer!

4.25/5  rDev +48.1%

First off, I am bias about this beer. This is the second import I ever tried in my life way back in the underage days. A friend who was an exchange student introduced me to it. As far as "quantity" (not quality) is concerned, it is the number one import that I buy. In a way, St. Pauli Girl planted the seed that grew into my culture of drinking many types of beer.

The beer pours a lighter golden color with a huge head. Very huge head and I pour beer correctly. Also, it is by far not the first time I have poured it so I knew what to expect. The smell is the benchmark I hold for German beers. A bias high marks for it. The taste is a little on the weak side compared to other German beers. What it lacks in taste (for German beers), it make up in drinkability. I would guess that it is a popular hard drinking beer in Germany, but I can not confirm that.

4.22/5  rDev +47%

Good bier. It is similar to Heineken but better. It has a golden straw color to it and a clear but slightly funky skunk smell to it. The taste is just a step above Heineken. The mouthfeel and drinkability is very smooth and easy. I really enjoy this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Give the girl a chance.

4.1/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my staple beer. I keep this in my fridge and have for years now.

A - Pale yellow, gold in color. Pours into a pint w/ a nice foamy head that fades quickly, but laces the glass throughout the drink.

S - Slightly skunky

T - Very crisp, pilsner taste.

M - Carbonated.

D - Tasty, goes down smooth, an excellent choice for an everyday beer.

This is one of my favorite beers!

Let me begin by saying that the 4 or 5 reviews below are utterly inaccurate. I say this because they did not give this beer a fair rating which in part is the brewers fault.

Shame on you all!!

Bottom line: "IF ITS SKUNK IT'S JUNK!!!!"

This is true for ANY beer as it should never, EVER smell like a skunk! It it does its been damaged by light and is ruined..

This particular brew is HIGHLY susceptible to light damage due to its completely inadequate packaging primarily because of its green bottle and exposed 6 pack containers.

NEVER buy this beer in a six pack unless you are removing it from a completely enclosed case packaging..NO EXCEPTIONS!

If you are going to buy this beer, buy it in a completely enclosed 12 pack container and ensure you grab one that hasn't even had the handle cutouts pushed in!

This beer WHEN ITS FRESH is really quite good..and if purchased properly has a ZERO skunk factor. Its highly drinkable, and has good German flavor, light years ahead of ANY U.S. domestic lager.

This beer at one time use to be my favorite, in fact it is the beer that got very interested in higher quality brew in the first place.

However, in 2002 it changed considerably not only in its packaging, but also in formula. The result was a more accessible beer that could appeal more to the U.S. domestic market.

Countless emails to the brewer about my dismay in the change were never returned. I really miss my old St. Pauli Girl beer..but the replacement still isn't half bad. Its still a decent Euro style beer with decent hops flavoring and appearance..and..

It stills pours a healthy, creamy head with adequate lacing (when fresh!) sticking to the sides of my glass inviting me to drink more. Lastly, its pricing is always reasonable, and is still available in 12oz. bottles

I have a 12 pack chillin' in the fridge right now waiting for Saturday afternoon. I can't wait!

this is a perfectly fine lager, and anyone who says otherwise should consider what a lager is supposed to be. it is supposed to be easy to drink and balanced so that no flavors overwhelm over the course of drinking more than a few.
I must say though, this beer just like many other imports, it should be in a brown bottle.
some people may not even be familiar with the differences, but these import lagers ive tried in both green and brown bottles, they always taste better in the brown bottle, and its easily noticeable. The green bottle gives the beer an almost sour sweetness, and the brown bottle has a more natural grainy tasting sweetness without the sour flavor which is also referred to as a skunky flavor. The thing ive noticed, is that when i purchase a 12 pack package of this st. pauli girl beer, since the beer is not exposed to light, the beer taste more like it should taste without that certain skunky sweetness. i pour it into a glass from a distance to get rid of the extra carbonation put in it, and it taste absolutely awesome over a 6 beer drinking session. I just suggest to get it in the 12 pack package so that the beer has not been effected by light.

It's interesting that Beck's and St. Pauli have the exact same rating here at BA. However I'm finding that, notwithstanding it's more limited distribution and lack of 12-er cans, it is a better drink than Beck's. There's more malt and the typical macro bitterness is replaced by detectable Salz.

I used to drink this when I was young, and along with Dab, Warsteiner, Paulaner, "the girl" had a special place. Going on memory, except for a recent 6 of Warsteiner, the girl is the cheapest, closest thing to a Munchen beer-hall lager readily available. If there were 12-er cans it would be my go-to macro, along with Pilsner Urquell.

3.97/5  rDev +38.3%

Strong hops are obvious from the moment the bottle is opened. Pours a pale yellow, similar (maybe a touch lighter) to an American macro like, say, a Miller Lite. Foam is a bit more durable, though. Not really any cloudiness at all. The hops are present smelled out of the glass as well. It's a smell I tend to associate with German lagers (Beck's especially) - smells like quality.

The hops aren't quite as forward in the taste, although they're still there. A little bit of sweetness, and a littler bit of bitterness on the back of the tongue. No heavy malt. I can taste a lot more carbonation than I can see. All in all, very comparable to Beck's, a favorite of mine. It's not a work of art, but quite good all around. Just don't let "Pilsener" fool you into thinking you're getting Milleresque blandness - if that's what you want, look elsewhere.

3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

Pours a clear straw, with a creamy one finger head that doesn't hold for very long. Lacing is mediocre, and smells of pale malt, german hops, but mostly that distinctive skunk associated with euro lagers. Taste is similiar, with a strong hop bite. Light in body and well carbonated. There is a lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but finishes crisp and drinkable. This is not one of my favorite beers, but I feel it is an good interpretation of the pilsner style.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

picked up because I love the style and knew it came from an area that I know I like the beer. a finger head and golden color. smell is a bit skunky. the taste is clean, crisp, refreshing, maybe a very tiny bit skunky but in a good way. on the same level as Becks for me. if I wanted this style, I'd go to this or Becks. good beer.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

A- This beer is golden yellow, very clear, with a huge amount of carbonation. There is a nice, albeit fizzy, head.

S- The smell is a bit yeasty, nondistinct sweetness, with a slight skunkiness.

T- Very light bodied malty sweetness and a small mettallic tinge.

M- Mouthfeel is fairly thick for a macro and very fizzy.

D- This beer, while not amazingly complex, is one of my favorite session beers. Its very light and easy to drink, while having an excellent taste that keeps me from being bored after drinking a few.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

A- poured straw yellow with a thin white head. Really clear ,,, head didnt last long at all.

S-grainy breadiness and a bit of sulfur

T- malty with good hop bite

M- thin and slick good carbonation

D- Very high this is a decent german beer and easy to drink several of. Not as deep in taste as say Hofbrau or Bitburger but a very good beer and reasonably priced at that.

Lets not forget you review the beer for the style and this is a good example.

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good stuff. It's an extremely pale golden and clear beer. Head starts of nice and thick, and dissolves quickly. Carbonation continues to provide a thin, lacy head and a bit of zest on the tongue. Has a faint grainy scent, like a distant hayfield. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, and very refreshing. This is one of those lagers to chug on a hot summer day.

Angela Little is still the best St. Pauli Girl in history.

3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

This is a Heineken-style beer. But it has its own character and flavor that make it better than Heineken in my opinion.

St. Pauli Girl pours with a large white frothy head over a clear light-golden colored beer with medium carbonation. The head dissipates quickly with no lacing.

The beer smells strongly of the yeast flavor typical to this style of beer. The aroma can be a little harsh and skunky when first poured from the bottle. The smell usually improves after a minute or two. St. Pauli Girl smells like sourdough bread baking in the oven with the faint scent of floral bitter hops. Every now and then a little skunk wafts up.

Tastes like it smells. Strong yeast flavor followed by bitterness followed by sweet malts. Bitter and malty on the finish. You taste the yeast up front but not at the end. Tastes good. Well balanced. Bitter but not hoppy.

Mouthfeel is ok. A little watery. Malt and bitterness linger on the tongue.

Overall this is a subtle but well crafted beer. True to style but with quality. Easy to underestimate this one. People who compare this to Bud or American macros are way off. Only water, malted barley, hops, and yeast. Drink a few and actually taste it.

3.89/5  rDev +35.5%

Visual: Light, clear gold, weak head subsided quickly, moderate carbonation.
Aroma: Pils type with nice spicy hops component.
Flavor: Firm bitterness with hop flavor in beginning and middle and then a short in-balance bitter finish. Brief, dry bitterness in aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Appropriate carbonation, slightly light body, but in good balance with the rest of the beer.
Overall: Well balanced, good lighter pils-type lager.

3.88/5  rDev +35.2%

Appearance - Pours a light golden color with a half-inch thick head that disappears quickly.

Smell - Grassy, somewhat skunky, with some bread characteristics. I like the smell of this.

Taste - It tastes skunky as well.. It doesn't have too strong of a flavor of anything though. Hard to point anything out. Has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Kinda light to medium bodied, same as the carbonation.

Overall - A pretty good beer. Nice and refreshing.

3.87/5  rDev +34.8%

12 oz green bottle poured in a pint glass. Enjoyed on Maui.

Pale yellow & clear. Thin cap on the pour recedes to almost nothing. Just a trace of a white ring on the outside.

Aroma of noble hops and toasty malt. Lightly sweet and bready with touches of skunk hop.

Bright taste. Nicely balanced toasty malt and noble hops at the start with a slight bready background. Refreshing. Even throughout. Aftertaste doesn't hang around too long, but it's mostly noble hops and light sweetness.

Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Mild hop bite.

Very drinkable and refreshing. A pleasant, uncomplicated beer.

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.