St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
Reviews: 396 | Hads: 1,022

This is my absolute favorite beer of all time. I think it tastes great, even if it does not have a reputation of being an excellent beer. To me, it is just a higher quality, slightly more sophisticated version of domestic party and game-day beers like Budweiser and Miller, and if that does't sound appealing to you, then I don't know what to tell you. (354 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +58.2%

i really love this beer.. i enjoy getting a 12 pack with my buddies hanging out a bsing.. looking at her.. shes a cutie..
light yellow when poured..
tastes smooth.. not over powering with hops or malts..
you can have more then 4 or 6 cand still keep on going and not get a dry palate
overall.. drink it (308 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +54.1%

I try as many different beers as anybody and this is one I keep comming back to. I agree with the reviewer about freshness. It really does make a difference. I don't care what anyone says this is a great refreshing beer and one of my all time favorites. German lagers must be my taste preference. Enjoy! (303 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +50.7%

This beer has always had a special place in my heart, my first favorite good beer. Undoubtedly ingrained in my mind from the pauli girl posture that hung in our garage during my childhood. In spite of how far my beer horizons have grown, I still find myself coming back to this one time and time again, partially out of sentiment, and that I think it's a tasty, easy drinking example style. For those situations where the proletariat demands a macro lager, this always comes through. In fact, we served this at my wedding.

One of the rare times I've poured it into a glass, this time into a nonic pint, it's a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades to a steady skim, fed by the steady streamers.

The aroma is moderate, raw grain, leafy hops, and a sulfur skunkiness.

The taste is also grainy and skunky, a bit of bread dough as well, with a dry, bitter, crisp noble hop finish.

The mouthfeel is crisp and the body is very light. It seems a little watery out of the glass, but I never notice this out of the bottle.

Since I like this beer, I can drink it like water. My go to cheap hot drink a lot brew, it never lets me down...while I recognize that I drank their kool-aide, it's pretty good. Indeed, some girls are unforgettable! (1,265 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like this beer. Traveled Europe, Canada and SA for work and have had several hundred types. Yes, it is like Heineken but more everything! Listen, people rated Mirror Pond and Sierra Nevada - for it's high alcohol content. People tend to like to get a kick, especially when you drink lots. I'm a PHD and know that from all the alcoholics I see. This is a great tasting beer! (382 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +45.5%

First off, I am bias about this beer. This is the second import I ever tried in my life way back in the underage days. A friend who was an exchange student introduced me to it. As far as "quantity" (not quality) is concerned, it is the number one import that I buy. In a way, St. Pauli Girl planted the seed that grew into my culture of drinking many types of beer.

The beer pours a lighter golden color with a huge head. Very huge head and I pour beer correctly. Also, it is by far not the first time I have poured it so I knew what to expect. The smell is the benchmark I hold for German beers. A bias high marks for it. The taste is a little on the weak side compared to other German beers. What it lacks in taste (for German beers), it make up in drinkability. I would guess that it is a popular hard drinking beer in Germany, but I can not confirm that. (860 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +44.5%

Good bier. It is similar to Heineken but better. It has a golden straw color to it and a clear but slightly funky skunk smell to it. The taste is just a step above Heineken. The mouthfeel and drinkability is very smooth and easy. I really enjoy this beer. (255 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my staple beer. I keep this in my fridge and have for years now.

A - Pale yellow, gold in color. Pours into a pint w/ a nice foamy head that fades quickly, but laces the glass throughout the drink.

S - Slightly skunky

T - Very crisp, pilsner taste.

M - Carbonated.

D - Tasty, goes down smooth, an excellent choice for an everyday beer. (359 characters)

Let me begin by saying that the 4 or 5 reviews below are utterly inaccurate. I say this because they did not give this beer a fair rating which in part is the brewers fault.

Shame on you all!!

Bottom line: "IF ITS SKUNK IT'S JUNK!!!!"

This is true for ANY beer as it should never, EVER smell like a skunk! It it does its been damaged by light and is ruined..

This particular brew is HIGHLY susceptible to light damage due to its completely inadequate packaging primarily because of its green bottle and exposed 6 pack containers.

NEVER buy this beer in a six pack unless you are removing it from a completely enclosed case packaging..NO EXCEPTIONS!

If you are going to buy this beer, buy it in a completely enclosed 12 pack container and ensure you grab one that hasn't even had the handle cutouts pushed in!

This beer WHEN ITS FRESH is really quite good..and if purchased properly has a ZERO skunk factor. Its highly drinkable, and has good German flavor, light years ahead of ANY U.S. domestic lager.

This beer at one time use to be my favorite, in fact it is the beer that got very interested in higher quality brew in the first place.

However, in 2002 it changed considerably not only in its packaging, but also in formula. The result was a more accessible beer that could appeal more to the U.S. domestic market.

Countless emails to the brewer about my dismay in the change were never returned. I really miss my old St. Pauli Girl beer..but the replacement still isn't half bad. Its still a decent Euro style beer with decent hops flavoring and appearance..and..

It stills pours a healthy, creamy head with adequate lacing (when fresh!) sticking to the sides of my glass inviting me to drink more. Lastly, its pricing is always reasonable, and is still available in 12oz. bottles

I have a 12 pack chillin' in the fridge right now waiting for Saturday afternoon. I can't wait! (1,893 characters)

this is a perfectly fine lager, and anyone who says otherwise should consider what a lager is supposed to be. it is supposed to be easy to drink and balanced so that no flavors overwhelm over the course of drinking more than a few.
I must say though, this beer just like many other imports, it should be in a brown bottle.
some people may not even be familiar with the differences, but these import lagers ive tried in both green and brown bottles, they always taste better in the brown bottle, and its easily noticeable. The green bottle gives the beer an almost sour sweetness, and the brown bottle has a more natural grainy tasting sweetness without the sour flavor which is also referred to as a skunky flavor. The thing ive noticed, is that when i purchase a 12 pack package of this st. pauli girl beer, since the beer is not exposed to light, the beer taste more like it should taste without that certain skunky sweetness. i pour it into a glass from a distance to get rid of the extra carbonation put in it, and it taste absolutely awesome over a 6 beer drinking session. I just suggest to get it in the 12 pack package so that the beer has not been effected by light. (1,176 characters)

It's interesting that Beck's and St. Pauli have the exact same rating here at BA. However I'm finding that, notwithstanding it's more limited distribution and lack of 12-er cans, it is a better drink than Beck's. There's more malt and the typical macro bitterness is replaced by detectable Salz.

I used to drink this when I was young, and along with Dab, Warsteiner, Paulaner, "the girl" had a special place. Going on memory, except for a recent 6 of Warsteiner, the girl is the cheapest, closest thing to a Munchen beer-hall lager readily available. If there were 12-er cans it would be my go-to macro, along with Pilsner Urquell. (633 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +36%

Strong hops are obvious from the moment the bottle is opened. Pours a pale yellow, similar (maybe a touch lighter) to an American macro like, say, a Miller Lite. Foam is a bit more durable, though. Not really any cloudiness at all. The hops are present smelled out of the glass as well. It's a smell I tend to associate with German lagers (Beck's especially) - smells like quality.

The hops aren't quite as forward in the taste, although they're still there. A little bit of sweetness, and a littler bit of bitterness on the back of the tongue. No heavy malt. I can taste a lot more carbonation than I can see. All in all, very comparable to Beck's, a favorite of mine. It's not a work of art, but quite good all around. Just don't let "Pilsener" fool you into thinking you're getting Milleresque blandness - if that's what you want, look elsewhere. (850 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +35.3%

Pours a clear straw, with a creamy one finger head that doesn't hold for very long. Lacing is mediocre, and smells of pale malt, german hops, but mostly that distinctive skunk associated with euro lagers. Taste is similiar, with a strong hop bite. Light in body and well carbonated. There is a lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste, but finishes crisp and drinkable. This is not one of my favorite beers, but I feel it is an good interpretation of the pilsner style. (471 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +34.2%

picked up because I love the style and knew it came from an area that I know I like the beer. a finger head and golden color. smell is a bit skunky. the taste is clean, crisp, refreshing, maybe a very tiny bit skunky but in a good way. on the same level as Becks for me. if I wanted this style, I'd go to this or Becks. good beer. (330 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +34.2%

A- This beer is golden yellow, very clear, with a huge amount of carbonation. There is a nice, albeit fizzy, head.

S- The smell is a bit yeasty, nondistinct sweetness, with a slight skunkiness.

T- Very light bodied malty sweetness and a small mettallic tinge.

M- Mouthfeel is fairly thick for a macro and very fizzy.

D- This beer, while not amazingly complex, is one of my favorite session beers. Its very light and easy to drink, while having an excellent taste that keeps me from being bored after drinking a few. (527 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +34.2%

A- poured straw yellow with a thin white head. Really clear ,,, head didnt last long at all.

S-grainy breadiness and a bit of sulfur

T- malty with good hop bite

M- thin and slick good carbonation

D- Very high this is a decent german beer and easy to drink several of. Not as deep in taste as say Hofbrau or Bitburger but a very good beer and reasonably priced at that.

Lets not forget you review the beer for the style and this is a good example. (452 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Good stuff. It's an extremely pale golden and clear beer. Head starts of nice and thick, and dissolves quickly. Carbonation continues to provide a thin, lacy head and a bit of zest on the tongue. Has a faint grainy scent, like a distant hayfield. Taste is a bit on the sweet side, and very refreshing. This is one of those lagers to chug on a hot summer day.

Angela Little is still the best St. Pauli Girl in history. (426 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +33.6%

This is a Heineken-style beer. But it has its own character and flavor that make it better than Heineken in my opinion.

St. Pauli Girl pours with a large white frothy head over a clear light-golden colored beer with medium carbonation. The head dissipates quickly with no lacing.

The beer smells strongly of the yeast flavor typical to this style of beer. The aroma can be a little harsh and skunky when first poured from the bottle. The smell usually improves after a minute or two. St. Pauli Girl smells like sourdough bread baking in the oven with the faint scent of floral bitter hops. Every now and then a little skunk wafts up.

Tastes like it smells. Strong yeast flavor followed by bitterness followed by sweet malts. Bitter and malty on the finish. You taste the yeast up front but not at the end. Tastes good. Well balanced. Bitter but not hoppy.

Mouthfeel is ok. A little watery. Malt and bitterness linger on the tongue.

Overall this is a subtle but well crafted beer. True to style but with quality. Easy to underestimate this one. People who compare this to Bud or American macros are way off. Only water, malted barley, hops, and yeast. Drink a few and actually taste it. (1,190 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +33.2%

Visual: Light, clear gold, weak head subsided quickly, moderate carbonation.
Aroma: Pils type with nice spicy hops component.
Flavor: Firm bitterness with hop flavor in beginning and middle and then a short in-balance bitter finish. Brief, dry bitterness in aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Appropriate carbonation, slightly light body, but in good balance with the rest of the beer.
Overall: Well balanced, good lighter pils-type lager. (431 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance - Pours a light golden color with a half-inch thick head that disappears quickly.

Smell - Grassy, somewhat skunky, with some bread characteristics. I like the smell of this.

Taste - It tastes skunky as well.. It doesn't have too strong of a flavor of anything though. Hard to point anything out. Has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Kinda light to medium bodied, same as the carbonation.

Overall - A pretty good beer. Nice and refreshing. (462 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +32.5%

12 oz green bottle poured in a pint glass. Enjoyed on Maui.

Pale yellow & clear. Thin cap on the pour recedes to almost nothing. Just a trace of a white ring on the outside.

Aroma of noble hops and toasty malt. Lightly sweet and bready with touches of skunk hop.

Bright taste. Nicely balanced toasty malt and noble hops at the start with a slight bready background. Refreshing. Even throughout. Aftertaste doesn't hang around too long, but it's mostly noble hops and light sweetness.

Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Mild hop bite.

Very drinkable and refreshing. A pleasant, uncomplicated beer. (623 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +32.5%

Saint Pauli Girl pours a light straw from a 24oz “Super Size” green bottle. Head is a nice foamy white and leaves lace down the side of the glass.

Nose of yeast and barley malt and palate is a clean, bright barley malt, some bitter hops, a faint sulfur yeast, and followed by a carbonation bite.

Saint Pauli Girl is a fairly good green bottle German Beer that goes well with food and friends, or all by its self. (420 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +32.2%

You never forget your first girl. Well, since my first was probably 30 years ago -- she's long forgotten. In the current nostalgic phase of trying some beers I enjoyed in the past, here goes.

German Pils? This has always been categorized as a Dortmunder that I can recall.

Best by 04/2011

A -- Nice, clear gold with a slow-settling white cap.

S -- Pretty thin all around: nothing bad, but nothing spectacular, mild spicy, grassy hops and vague grain.

T -- Good balance of mellow bready malts and spicy hops up front, breadiness lingers into a mildly bitter finish with some malt sweetness in the aftertaste. All around, pretty easy going and appetizing.

*Edit: BJCP mentions a mineral character for Dortmunders that I wouldn't have been able to I.D., but I get it from this brew -- sort of like a touch of mineral water in the finish at the back of your mouth.

M -- Soft mouthfeel with a light-medium body and dry, crisp finish.

D -- Very nice. 4.9%, good malt & hop balance without being macro bland -- very nice considering the rep its garnered. (1,055 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +30.1%

App: Straw colored, light. Head was strong and lacing was OK. Head didn't last too long but well over a minute which beats US macros.
Sm: Low to medium aroma.
T: Very smooth with a nice finish. Moderately hopped but has a nice finish. Light Sazz hops perhaps??
M: Very light mouthfeel as it should be as a pils. Light but good.
D: Damn drinkable beer for the price. Goes down smoothly and I enjoyed it. It's close to on par with Heineken but a few pennies less so...I approve!:) (479 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +29.8%

Appearance - beautiful pale yellow and clear with 2 finger head. Great look for a Pils.

Smell - some nobles are faint but mostly a faint skunky smell

Taste - A pleasant combination of barnyard flavors (straw, earthiness) with nicely balanced noble hop flavoring and slight crisp in the finsih

Mouthfeel - full bodied for a Pilsner. Nice.

Overall - This a very decent German Pilsner in my book. Not sure why this one isn't more highly rated by others, as its got many good German Pilsner characteristics and also has some flavor punch to it (not bland by anymeans). (568 characters)

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.