2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
Ratings: 814 | Reviews: 379 | Show All Ratings:
nitemarebrewer

1.98/5  rDev -31%

Poured light yellow, little carbonation, head foamy.
Smells faintly of malt, and skunkiness
Mouthfeel was thin and watery.
Taste was very light, skunked, diluted.
This beer was drinkable with food. I found it to be great when grilling out in the sun, accompanying a steak. Otherwise, it might be good as sparge water.

04-28-2006 03:19:20 | More by nitemarebrewer
MiScusi

1.98/5  rDev -31%

12 oz green bottle, slightly skunked but not totally. I am still reviewing it because these are the conditions most people probably encounter.

Pale Yellow, bubbles stream upward for a very long time, white foamy head dissipates pretty quickly. Grass aromas, as well as some skunk odor- but not so much to make you sick.

Taste is a little skunky and grassy. Mouthfeel is actually what I'd be looking for in a macro lager. There is a nice amount of carbonation, not the usual overcarbonated stuff that burns your tongue.

12-23-2006 21:13:09 | More by MiScusi
clvand0

Kentucky

This beer pours a bright yellow color with very little head. The aroma was very skunky to me (this is how most German Pils smell to me) - very similar to Heineken. Maybe I just got a skunky one, who knows. The taste was a little sweet and pretty hoppy. The taste isn't as skunky as the aroma leads you to think - surprisingly unskunky taste. This is a fairly smooth drink, but not too much to my liking. Much like the Heineken, I'm not too fond of it just because I don't like the taste, but I can't find anything more specific than that to describe it with. I would easily drink this if I had few options, but I prefer others.

06-23-2003 22:29:25 | More by clvand0
cproioi

Poured a pale yellow almost clear body with a slight head. The smell and the taste where rather skunky. It might not of been a bad beer if it was taken better care of. However, what did give it points is that it was very thin and refreshing on a hot summer day even with the taste.

08-07-2006 02:55:00 | More by cproioi
bboven

Overlying skunkiness and not a lot of flavor excepting some bitterness at the very back of the tongue. Looks like apple juice. Tastes like a bolder Heineken. I don't think I'll buy this one again. Really never had a great beer out of green glass yet.

07-28-2007 20:37:41 | More by bboven
stagman

Missouri

I poured this and it came out a light gold with little carbonation and no head. It smelled like sweet corn, and tastes sweeter than expected. There's a little bit of a hoppy grassiness, but not enough to really stand out. It seems that St Pauli is just another run of the mill European Lager. I'd pass next time.

12-18-2007 04:27:28 | More by stagman
Strix

Wisconsin

Whew, the smell of this does not impress. Not sure if this is skunked or this is how it is supposed to be. I suppose green bottles do not help. Sour, with grainy hops.

Taste does not suit me. Grainy, maybe honey? Somewhat weak and off.

Mouthfeel was all right, but nothing to write home about.

Overall, I found a bottle of this hard to finish. I won't be back.

02-24-2008 06:34:10 | More by Strix
rye726

Colorado

This is a favorite of a friend of mine so I decided to give it a try. Like most imported light beers, it was a little pricey for what you get. A clear color with lots of carbonation and a weak tan head. Skunky smell of stale hops and light grainy malts. Not much in the flavor area. A little bitter hoppiness with some grains. A light body with too much carbonation. Not the most drinkabel with the off flavors.

05-12-2008 18:11:11 | More by rye726
jar2574

Missouri

2.03/5  rDev -29.3%

A very clear, can see right through it. Looks like an American lager. Poor head retention.

It does have a scent, but not that pleasant. Hops and a bit of skunkiness.

Not good taste, bitter skunkiness. Too watery as well.

Nothing much to reccomend this beer.

07-13-2007 01:41:37 | More by jar2574
proc

2.05/5  rDev -28.6%

A very mediocre beer. As others have mentioned, the St. Pauli girl on the label is nice, but that is about the extent of this beer's redeeming qualities. Pours out to a slightly, darker golden color, with a bizarre smell. Taste is that of light struck hops. If fresh, this can be decent, but with so many other good choices out there, this one isn't high on my list.

07-03-2002 05:42:34 | More by proc
Padron4KM

Arizona

2.05/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottle, best before May ’07.

I used to love this beer when I was in high school. At the time it cost a lot more compared to the BMC, so it was our treat every once in a while.
I remember drinking it in the parking lot of an Anthrax show in the mid 80s. I haven’t had it since those days.

Pours crystal clear pale golden, with a soapy white head.

This one just came from the case, so it hasn’t had time to get really skunky yet.

Grassy, grainy aroma, but the skunk is starting to sneak in.

flavor is slightly sweet with a mild hop tingle, and a slight tin foil finish.

Not as good as I remembered but also not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.
To think I chipped a tooth opening one of these at that show.... ahh the ignorance of youth.

10-07-2006 07:34:20 | More by Padron4KM
JustMikeABV

2.05/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a "green bottle" when will brewers get that green bottles = skunk beer..smh

pours a golden straw color with a thick foamy head that disapates quicker than normal

smell..a faint hoppy smell can be detected but a strange muskey scent overpowers the nose of this beer..

Taste..mildly sweet grassy sort of taste upfront
slightly corny..hoppy taste tward the end but finishes with a verry unappealing sulfury Boiled egg affter taste

this beer is highly carbonated wich is a good thing but not in st pauli`s case because it brings back that musky sulfury taste to the back of your throat..

in short its just not a good beer..i wouldent suggest this beer because of the low abv 4.9 and the awful taste.there are so many great lagers out on the market to choose from that it would be a huge diservice to pick this lager as a beer of choice

but if you like beers that taste like slighty gamey boiled eggs i would say try it but if not with all do respect run for the hills!!!

09-28-2010 20:55:22 | More by JustMikeABV
feloniousmonk

2.08/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

710 ml bottle. I'm in it for the long haul.
A toothsome, buxom blonde hoisting a quartet of mugs, smiling broadly, on the label. Who am I to say no to her?

transparency's epitome...one of the faintest tints of yellow...under a thin slice of whitish foam, eventually evaporating...there, it goes...

odd aroma...lemony, sour, almost pee-like, honestly...not that great...

Taste 'er...lightness' acme, vapidity's paramount...wafts in and out of the mouth with alarming alacrity...virtually no flavor, no character, nothing to give it any reason to exist...but, apparently, people must like that...

Very grainy, slight grit in the mouthfeel, but you get the feeling they made an amazingly minimal use of any kind of hops or malt. Weirdly watery, taste, what it is, getting fouler the longer it sits in the mouth.

Not good. Not at all.

They do give work out to some attractive Playboy models who might otherwise be forced to go naked for their paycheck, so that's something.

08-09-2005 05:23:39 | More by feloniousmonk
drabmuh

Maryland

2.08/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured into a stange from a green bottle, morons. Beer is yellow and clear with a big white head of medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate.

Aroma is mildly sulfur, and pretty sweet.

Beer is grainy and oddly bitter with a sulfurish aftertaste, its mildly sweet up front but carbonation in the mouth is minimal. This is a train wreck of a beer, if possible the NA version of this beer is actually better.

09-12-2010 01:23:00 | More by drabmuh
far333

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -26.8%

How did I drink so much of this in high school? Pale yellow/straw colored with a white head of highly carbonated bubbles. The head runs away quicly, but leaves a bit of thin lace. Smell is pronounced, and is full of sulfur and a metallic undertone. I detect some malt, and some of the bitter smell might be hops. There is malt in the flavor, but the sulfur comes through strongly and sticks to the sides of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very watery. There is a distinct metallic aftertaste.

05-27-2003 17:56:57 | More by far333
Indybeer

Indiana

2.13/5  rDev -25.8%

12 oz bottle. Poured a typical pale yellow, with not much head and no visible lacing. Aroma was slightly skunky, and that is about all. Taste is slightly sweet and hoppy, but watery thin. Much like any typical macro. You could drink alot of these. Not to bad but not what I really like.

09-02-2003 02:38:44 | More by Indybeer
tempest

2.13/5  rDev -25.8%

Why did I order this beer? Well I wasn't paying for it and I'd never tried it - win/win, right?

I though once the light-struck skunky flavor (thanks to the green bottle) cleared out of the aroma and taste, there might be something worth writing about, but I was mistaken. What was left after the most offensive, yet richest flavor vacated was a nasty sour fruit tang and only a hint of actual German lager flavor. Yes, it was there hiding in the back, light bready malts with a bit of sweetness. But for the most part I just tasted the big off-flavor that I assume St. Pauli Girl considers their trademark taste. Move along, nothing to drink here. Pass.

08-14-2008 14:38:41 | More by tempest
barknee

2.17/5  rDev -24.4%

St. Pauli Girl, (SPG) pours with a one-inch white foamy head, and is a light champagne color. A stream of fine bubbles can be seen rising from the center of the glass. Upon the initial pour, SPG emanates that diagnostic skunky-sulphurous nose that is akin to Heineken and to a lesser degree, Becks. The profile of this beer is lean, with a corn like aftertaste and a latent hint of saltiness on the finish, nowhere as upfront and vivacious as its neighbor in Bremen, Becks. SPG is on the Atkins diet, and needs to put on some weight by increasing her carbohydrate intake. This beer lacks the bitter element that makes even other mainstream pilsners true to their heritage. Although crisp and somewhat refreshing, SPG lacks the goods that otherwise would of made her a "looker", but she remains, nevertheless, the nice German girl next-door.

11-05-2004 22:55:03 | More by barknee
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.17/5  rDev -24.4%

Classic straw yellow with a handful of fine bubble streams leading from glass bottom to bright white head. And a fine looking lid it is too. Tight-bubbled, finely pitting, persistent and better than average in the lace department. No matter what my other senses are about to experience, St. Pauli Girl looks good.

It wasn't surprising in the least that crown removal brought a mini-blast of skunk to my nose. Yet another green-bottled European lager. How's this for a slogan: "P.U. from the E.U." Nah, they probably wouldn't sell much beer with that. The nastiness fades quickly and I'm left with a bland, mildly grain-like, mildly musky hoppiness that doesn't offend.

Ditto St. Pauli Girl's flavor, although offensiveness is starting to trickle in at the edges. There isn't much barley malt present, which means very little sweetness to cut the moderately harsh bitterness of the Hallertau hops. What alpha acids are present (not many) are essentially unopposed by malt sugars.

I don't have much to say about the body/mouthfeel. Not much that's good anyway. It's light (maybe light-medium) for the style and is too finely fizzy. A more pleasurable mouthfeel would have gone a long way toward increasing drinkability.

The brewery says that 'you never forget your first girl'. That's true, but I have forgotten my first St. Pauli Girl. And my second and my third and my fourth. I drank SPG and SPG Dark on occasion years ago, but the flavor profile isn't familiar. More to the point, this isn't a beer that I want to remember from this point forward. I'd like to quickly forget what is sure to be my last (St. Pauli) Girl.

05-19-2006 13:09:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
FreshHawk

2.2/5  rDev -23.3%

A - Clear, pale golden color. Decent sized white, bubbly head. Average retention with minimal lacing.

S - Light grain smell as well as a skunky smell.

T - Thin grain and bread taste, with a good amount of skunkiness. Almost no hops.

M - Light body and high carbonation. Thin and watery, but smooth.

D - Body is easy to drink, but the flavor isn't great. Skunkiness doesn't help this beer either.

Notes: Very skunky beer. Not one I suggest getting, but I know a person or two that like it. A bit more grain and malt than some lagers/Pilseners, but not a great beer.

03-01-2010 16:58:36 | More by FreshHawk
bondjedi

Washington

2.2/5  rDev -23.3%

Like KFC, St. Pauli Girl seems like a good idea every six months or so and I grab a twelver. Halfway through it I regret the decision, even though I like looking at the gal on the label.

I don't know anything about the pour for this one as I suck them down straight from the bottle. The beer always smells a little skunky and tastes very sour.

However, it does get me hammered quite efficiently. Though I regret the decision to buy it at the halfway mark, it is at that point that I stop caring.

07-28-2011 17:03:18 | More by bondjedi
JDV

2.23/5  rDev -22.3%

Light golden yellow color with very short lasting white head. Smell is yeasty, very slight skunkiness, bready, and light metallic which dissipated as it warmed and gave way to a light maltiness. Taste is a doughy, bready, yeastiness, with a good bit of carbonation. Reminds me of a watered down Carlsberg. Very light, and watery even for the style, I'd think, with a very slight bitterness. Nothing special at all really and I probably wouldn't want more than 1 of these ever.

01-31-2008 18:52:05 | More by JDV
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.23/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from a 24oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, grain, lager yeast and some hops.

T: The taste is bready with flavors of grain and lager yeast. There's a little bit of sweetness from the thin malt character. There's a decent hops presence but not much balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down easily since it's pretty light, not too filling, mild kick, not the best representation of style, there are a lot of other beers in the style that I would pick first.

10-13-2009 01:40:10 | More by TheManiacalOne
changeup45

2.25/5  rDev -21.6%

Not the greatest Lager I've had but it definitely isn't the worst either. Poured a golden color with a moderate white head with a little bit of lacing. The head tapers off quite quickly. A clean mild malt aroma, slightly floral. The flavor is a little sweet with malts and a mild hop bite in the finish. A touch of skunk doesn't help but overall somewhat drinkable and light.

08-24-2008 20:32:45 | More by changeup45
Swim424

2.25/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle.

A-average. Poured a pee yellow with about a 1/2 inch head that dissapeared quickly. so looked like an average commercial lager. nothing that makes me really want to try it.

S-nothing special at all. smells sort of wheat and yeast. again nothing that makes me really want to drink this. smells slightly carbonated, and maybe a little metalic.

T-here we go...not very good. tastes very, i guess wheaty. lots of yeast i believe. i honestly feel like im drinking a plain garden. taste is much stronger than the smell. the yeast flavor builds and hits hardest as more an aftertaste.

M-not much here. not much lasting flavor. a strong yeast flavor right after i swallowed but thats about it. basically feels like a less carbonated miller lite.

O-I will probably not drink this again. it was not anything special. very dissappointing. I have heard good and bad things about this one and really just wanted to see for myself. definitly not the worst beer I have ever tried. but something I will do my best to avoid in the future.

06-27-2011 01:18:00 | More by Swim424
St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.