St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,018 | Reviews: 415
2.29/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is seriously mediocre. I bought it cause I was like, oh, German beers abide by the Bavarian purity law so this probably has less weird chemicals in it than American beers. But yeah, it tastes just like Bud or Natty. Not worth the money for such a low alcohol content--though it did start to taste better after I'd had a few :)

2.53/5  rDev -11.8%

A - Pours a very clear yellow with a one finger white head. Left no lacing.

S - Skunk and rice adjunct. That's all.

T - Quite a bit of skunkiness up front. And I mean a fucking lot of skunk, however it quickly mellows out. Some rice and slight corn adjunct make an appearance as well. Very clean. The skunkiness doesn't linger.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, It was a decent Pils, and a great palate washer.

3.58/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a truly wonderful beer. I believe it is a wheat beer style which is comparable to Heinekin in taste, it pours a clear see-through golden yellow with little acrid aroma and no head- although I did pour it at an angle so that it wouldn't lose too much carbonation into a regular glass as I have yet to get some good beer glasses! It has a wonderful taste and when you inhale upon drinking an aroma to match. It is a very good cheap beer, I believe I paid 3$ with tax for a pint. I also believe this has a faint after-taste of red apple, although it is barely noticeable.

2.94/5  rDev +2.4%

Thick, golden pour. Lackluster aroma.... Still learning this one though

Real smooth taste.

Flavorful taste for a pilsner.

As far as lighter beers go, this is one if the better ones I've had in recent memory. Granted, those have mostly American lights.

1.9/5  rDev -33.8%

12oz. Green Bottle at fridge temp poured into a pint glass. Best before 9.2013. Leftovers from x-mas.

Pours a very clear pale straw yellow bordering on golden. About a 1/4 inch of white fizzy head that disappeared completely within seconds. Lots of fast rising carbonation bubbles. Looks very American macro-ish.

Very skunky aroma. Skunk and a bit of mineral/ sulfer lager yeast. Some sweet lagers grain as well.

A bit skunked, mineral water, and sweet cooked corn grain. The slightest bit of bitterness towards the finish, but its quickly washed away by sweet adjuncty grain. Very macro, very plain.

Very watery, over carbonated.

Really hard to tell the difference between this and any American macro. Avoid at all costs!

3.1/5  rDev +8%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear gold with a small white head with surprisingly poor head retention, looks like Coors Light really and has the head retention of a pitcher of that beer, not the best start, but let's move on.

S: Quite a nice noble hopping, this bottle was not skunked. Possible Saaz, grassiness, well done here.

T: Light bready pils type malt with a nice balancing hop attack. A little more hoppy than a standard macro, but nowhere near the bracing noble hop flavour of the better German pilsners.

M: Light-bodied, crisp, tended to be flabby throughout though.

O: A solid macro pilsner, nothing to really hate of love about this beer. It's in the middle.

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a clear, straw color. 5/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong pale malt, slight sweet malt, slight hops, hint of caramel malt, and a hint of sulfur. Fits the style of a German Pilsner. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong pale malt, hint of metallic, slight hops, hint of sweet malt, hint of sulfur, and a hint of caramel malt. Overall, good appearance, but aroma and body are hurt by hint of sulfur and metallic notes.

4.5/5  rDev +56.8%

I try as many different beers as anybody and this is one I keep comming back to. I agree with the reviewer about freshness. It really does make a difference. I don't care what anyone says this is a great refreshing beer and one of my all time favorites. German lagers must be my taste preference. Enjoy!

Let me begin by saying that the 4 or 5 reviews below are utterly inaccurate. I say this because they did not give this beer a fair rating which in part is the brewers fault.

Shame on you all!!

Bottom line: "IF ITS SKUNK IT'S JUNK!!!!"

This is true for ANY beer as it should never, EVER smell like a skunk! It it does its been damaged by light and is ruined..

This particular brew is HIGHLY susceptible to light damage due to its completely inadequate packaging primarily because of its green bottle and exposed 6 pack containers.

NEVER buy this beer in a six pack unless you are removing it from a completely enclosed case packaging..NO EXCEPTIONS!

If you are going to buy this beer, buy it in a completely enclosed 12 pack container and ensure you grab one that hasn't even had the handle cutouts pushed in!

This beer WHEN ITS FRESH is really quite good..and if purchased properly has a ZERO skunk factor. Its highly drinkable, and has good German flavor, light years ahead of ANY U.S. domestic lager.

This beer at one time use to be my favorite, in fact it is the beer that got very interested in higher quality brew in the first place.

However, in 2002 it changed considerably not only in its packaging, but also in formula. The result was a more accessible beer that could appeal more to the U.S. domestic market.

Countless emails to the brewer about my dismay in the change were never returned. I really miss my old St. Pauli Girl beer..but the replacement still isn't half bad. Its still a decent Euro style beer with decent hops flavoring and appearance..and..

It stills pours a healthy, creamy head with adequate lacing (when fresh!) sticking to the sides of my glass inviting me to drink more. Lastly, its pricing is always reasonable, and is still available in 12oz. bottles

I have a 12 pack chillin' in the fridge right now waiting for Saturday afternoon. I can't wait!

3.08/5  rDev +7.3%

A - pale gold with a thin lacing of loose, bubbly, white head that has little retention

S - musty, corn, skunky

T - musty, grainy, corn-like sweetness, grassy, faintly bitter

M - smooth, crisp, a bit heavily carbonated, light to medium bodied

This is a pretty typical euro lager. It's musty, skunky, comes in a green bottle, and has a rather simplistic flavor. Nothing special to report here. I'll avoid in the future.

2.81/5  rDev -2.1%

Best by 12/2012.

Pours a clear golden yellow with a foamy 1/2 inch beige head that fades to nothing. Small dots of lace slowly drip down the glass on the drink down. Smell is very skunky up front but this gives way to some grain and slightly vegetal aromas. Taste is mainly of grain with some vegetal and slightly skunky flavors. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer but the smell is quite skunky.

2.63/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Again, not many 12oz beers left at my local store that I can review at a reasonable price. Threw this one in the mixed-six last week.

A- Green bottle poured into a pint glass. Clear and really pale light straw body with a white cap. Head forms to a huge size and has good retention. Somehow the massive cap falls to a small, bubbly cloud fairly quickly. No lace in sight.

S- Really not much going on here. I pick up faint light fruit and sweets.

T- More here but still not that much. Light fruit like white grape and apple, light caramel cracker malt sweets, bread and hops. Hops are spicy and grassy/herbal.

MF- Bubbly but creamy light body. Slight bitterness in the finish.

Pretty much what I expected. Drinks better than most American light beers but still not very flavorful or satisfying.

1.84/5  rDev -35.9%

Upon opening the bottle the horrible skunky smell was overwhelming. It probably ruined this one from the get go but I still gave it a shot because hey, can't just waste beer.

Poured into a pint glass and the head disappears rather quickly with only a slight ring that eventually disappears. The taste leaves much to be desired and leaves a metallic sort of aftertaste.

This is my first trying of this beer and I was completely underwhelmed. I expected more from a German import. I do not recommend this beer.

1.48/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I really do not like this one. From the standard green bottle, poured into clear dixie cup. Golden pour with decent fluffy white head. Aroma is skunk and light hay, no sweetness, a bit of dryness. Taste is like sucking on a skunk's ass. Why do breweries continue to use the green bottles. I have had this multiple times and no improvement. I tend to prefer the standard macros like Bud Light to this one.

2.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. capped bottle (Best Before 10.2012) into a pilsener glass.

A strong pour yields a 1-finger bright white head that slowly fades after a few minutes to a nearly nonexistant dusting and thin foam ring. The body is a perfectly clear pale straw with a moderate amount of carbonation bubbles. Some light lacing can be seen throughout consumption but never really sticks around that long.

The first detectable aroma while pouring the beer is a glorious skunkiness (gotta love those green bottles). A closer inspection reveals light, grainy malts, and herbal hops. Some slight notes of toast, biscuits, and wet hay are noticeable.

Just like the nose, sweet, grainy malts and herbal hops flavors hit the tongue at first sip. As the beer is held in the mouth, notes of biscuits, toffee, and skunk come through. Upon swallowing, a little more skunkiness comes out along with more herbal hops flavors.

Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is light on the tongue and easily swallowed. The body is easy drinking and refreshing. The carbonation is not overly noticeable and really assists in the finish.

2.68/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden with a one-finger white head that quickly dissipates into nothingness. Very minimal lacing, spotty as hell.

Smell: Skunked! Behind the skunk is light hop smell

Taste: Not nearly as skunked as the smell, but still skunked. Behind the skunk is a light flavor of malts and hops, with a mild bitterness, but mainly grass and water.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate body, high carbonation, very easy to guzzle down.

Overall: This just doesn't have enough flavor or presence to keep my interest. I couldn't even buy it to get sloshed because it's another ridiculously priced import.

2.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I picked this beer up at a super market one night just sampling and it had an attractive bottle. It kind of has a cheaper German pilsner taste with thin head. I wouldn't want to drink this beer in public it looks kind of girly. I'm not saying this is a terrible beer it's just not for me.

2.87/5  rDev 0%

It's time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea". Good idea, drinking and reviewing awesome beers on BA. Bad idea, the existence of this beer. Well it's that time again, time for another Jared's Bad Beer Review. In this session, St. Pauli Girl, what I remember as being the most foul thing I've ever put into my mouth from years ago, the first and only time I've ever touched this thing. I almost wanted to skunk it more for the fun, but why bother. It's bad enough I'm sure. They even have the date on there, best by 03/2012, so it can't be that bad, can it?!

And the cap is removed, no going back now. The pour yields a pasty white 1.5 finger fizzy but creamy semi thick but bubbly head, reminiscent of albino sperm, and fades with actual sperm like lacing. The beer is more clear than Boston water, less brown as well, it's golden colored like a fake tan.

Nose, well not quite as bad as I remember actually. I'm a little turned off by not throwing up as I breath it in. It's actually somewhat breathable. I get some faint cracked straw and pilsner like malts, that breath a light juiciness almost as if it were at one point made with actual beer. Just a hint of skunked lager, not much by way of horridness actually. Granted I did pull this right out of a non-light penetrating case from a fridge, and directly into my fridge so very little light exposure. A light Bavarian malt aroma really seals the deal as an actual beer. Even the hops... wait just kidding, no hops were harmed in the making of this beer.

Taste goes down hill a bit, but again not the super skunked re-vomited anal leakage I remember it being. It is pretty watery, more so than most German pilsners (real ones that is). Light cracked straw blends with watered pilsner malt and a hint of sweetness to bring real flavor to it. A decent lager crispness as well, but no real fruity flavors. As it rolls off my tongue faster and smoother than water (as it mostly it just water), the light flavor and mostly lack of flavor turn to a light hint of bitterness, with maybe a hint of grassy hops, I think they waved the 10 year old hops over the beer and a few lupulin glands fell in. Then a bit of a metallic twinge kicks in, just when I thought this beer was actually going to be refreshing. The metallic flavor really lingers making me have to go back and sip more so the watered down straw is overpowering the "just chewed on tin foil" flavor and now my mind is bringing the feel of it as well. Oy!

Mouth is practically non-existant, FG of like 0.080, and actually not much carbonation either.

Overall not as bad as I thought. The metallic flavor on the finish is the real downfall, but not really skunked, and not a huge mess either. I'm glad I tried this again, and did a full review. Perhaps I should give other piss beers a try again. This I would say is worlds better than the macro swill of U.S., and to tell the truth, I'm a little glad it surprised me in a good way. And hell, at least I got some entertainment out of writing this.

3.15/5  rDev +9.8%

Lucky no skunk in this green bottle.

Appearance was average golden, nice head, not over carbonated.

Smell was average at best.

Taste was solid. Not the greatest in the world, but nice.

Mouthfeel was excellent, not overly sweet, nice hop flavor, malty..really good.

Overall I would risk the purchase (due to the green bottle) again. This is a winner.

Poured from bottle to Pilsner glass.

A - Beer pours a bright pale gold color that is crystal clear with a 1 finger white head that has average retention and lacing.

S - Not a lot of aroma though the grainy character is noticeable. Cannot detect any yeast or hop notes.

T/M - The beer starts out clean and crisp and stays that way throughout. It is quite light in terms of mouthfeel. The middle of the beer the light pale malts and lager yeast are mildly present and blend rather well with the lightly grainy upfront flavor. The beer finishes crisp and clean.

D - Very drinkable.

Overall, I think this beer is pretty average for the style. Nothing stands out really but isn't bad by any means either. Quite refreshing.

Reviewed on: 01-24-2011 21:02:24

3.01/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a yellow/golden color, white head maybe a quarter finger. No lacing to speak of.

S: Smells grassy and earthy. Not picking up on much else

T: Taste about like it smells. Grass and floral notes, followed by a skunky bitter after taste. It doesn't taste bad. I like the taste, but just not very flavorful.

M: Very clean, crisp, and enjoyable mouthfeel. I think this is what makes this beer seem better than it actually is.

O: Its not a bad beer but could definately be better. I heard bad things about it but I wouldn't say its horrible.

1.54/5  rDev -46.3%

a: Pale/Light gold in color. Pours a strong head with a sustainable creamy head

s: The skunky smell overwhelms all other aromas. There is a slight spiciness smell. Can also smell a little sulfur

t: Not much of a hop character. Can taste a little of the noble hops up front, but they dissipate quickly. Bitterness and hop flavor are lacking. Seems to have a bit too much malt sweetness. Fairly dry finish. Skunky aroma seem to makes it's way to the taste (perhaps I am just overwhelmed by the smell)

m: Medium body with medium carbonation. Almost has a slight creaminess - could be related to the sweetness. Carbonation does not last long in the mouth

o: Not so much of a crisp, refreshing beer like a German Pilsner should be. The skunkiness aroma is just so overwhelming that it dominates the beer. Would recommend ditching the green glass to avoid the skunkiness.

2.94/5  rDev +2.4%

Into a pilsener (also had in a pint glass, no difference is noted):

A: clear light golden colored body with a small white film of a head

S: the "skunkiness" that most people find non-appealing with some hop/floral aroma, but even the hops/floral-ness is barely noticeable

T: sweet through a combination of hops to malts

M: light, sessionable, sweet aftertaste and balanced sweet to bitter finish

O: its a German pilsener brewed in accordance to the Purity Laws, so, this is one that's not for all, as for me, I'm actually unsure if I'd have this again, probably preferably with food

2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Pours a clear light golden color. Fizzy head that goes away fast. No Lacing.

S- Almost literally like dead skunk on the highway. If you really try, underneath there is somewhat of a slight hop floral aroma. Not much there. Almost smells like it has gone bad.

T- Surprisingly not as bad as the smell. Traditional pilsener taste. I found it similar to Miller Lite, but without the usual terrible aftertaste. No hops in the taste. A fairly sweet taste throughout with fruity note here or there.

M- Light as all get out. Could pound them all night. Appropriate amount of carbonation.

Overall, the smell threw me. It smelled like it had gone bad. But other than the smell, it's a decent beer. By no means one to race out and buy, but good enough.

2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

A: Pours a clear straw yellow color with a small white head and some lacing.

S: Mild grain aroma and a bit musty.

T: Flavor of grain with a mild sweetness and a gritty bitterness and fairly clean finish.

F: Light body and crisp. A bit rough around the edges.

O: Kind of a bland generic beer. Not one of the better Euro Lagers.

St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.