St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. bottle- color of straw yellow , with a thin off white head – crisp nose of sweet yellow corn , wet grass , faint bubblegum , and mild hops – sharp taste of grain , hay , and mild bitterness- body is sharp , lactic , and with medium high carbonation – aftertaste of skunk , mild bitterness , gummy , and bubblegum

stephendr, Mar 27, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +22%

I've been holding back on trying this beer. Macro Euro Lagers don't get me too excited. Especially when I think of Beck's. Anyhow, I finally got the kahoonas to try St. Pauli's

With a fast pour, this produces about a two finger thick pure white head. The body of this brew is ultra clear and golden in color

Good aromas balanced with malt and hops. Has the freshly mown hay and straw characteristics of a good lager.

The taste isn't too bad. It's got the grainy, cereal consistancy of a pils, with a vivid hops presence. It's light bodied and refreshing. It ends with a bitter orange rind flavor.

Overall, I'm pleased to have finally tried this beer. It's a bit above average for a German Macro Lager/Pils. I'll have to keep and eye out and try the dark and/or special dark.

TheSarge, Feb 25, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance- Has a light yellow/straw color. Very clear. Has a decent white head that disappears fairly quickly. Leaves no lace at all.. clear fizzy yellow, with no head to speak of.

Aroma- Mostly a sowr-mash and grainyiness with some bittering hops thrown in. It doesn't smell light-struck, but it did come in a green bottle.

Taste- Tastes more like a decent American macro-lager than a German pilsner. Mostly sour-mash with some bittering hops. I think I'm getting some corn in there to. Swish it around in your mouth, and the bittering hops come out a bit more.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body. Carbonation level is okay. Slight CO2 bite on the toungue.

Drinkability- It's okay for just a beer, but for a German Pilsner, I can't rate it very high.

theopholis, Feb 21, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

This poured a straw-colored, light gold with a thin, bubbly head and some slight evervescence. The smell is of grassy grains. Sweet and hoppy but quite a bit of skunk to go with it. The taste is a mixture of sweet and bitter, but they don't combine well and both can be distinguished. Not the greatest, but not the worst beer out there.

Neehan, Feb 05, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -8.4%

While typing my review of this German Pilsner, I'm going to play some Beethoven to fit the theme. Now if only I had some sauerkraut to go along with this. Let's get on to the beer:

Poured into a stange glass, an average foamy head rises from the straw colored body. Now the question is whether the beer is skunked. Why, yes it is. Pepe LePew crawls out of the beer along with his grain and minor herb note smells. There's a mild malt profile followed and dominated by skunked hops. The beer feels light with a tingly, slight seltzer feel.

I had a 24 ounce bottle of this to drink. It was okay, I guess. After awhile though, I lost my interest in this brew. Nothing to really wow about here other than that fact it's imported from Germany.

DoubleJ, Jan 29, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

I used to drink plenty of this beer before my craft beer days. Coming back to it is not as bad as I feared but I certainly wont go back to it now.

Appearance: Perfectly clear pale gold with big carbonation bubbles and a sudsy white head. Little lacing in my pilsner glass.

Smell: It has a bit of that sour grain mustiness and a dirty earthy processed hop attribute.

Taste: Crisp light sweet malt attribute. It is better than I expected returning to this beer all these years later but it can't hold up to the "average" micro brewed German Pilsner IMO. It is not a bad flavor just week until the aftertaste which sit with me as a bitter that doesn’t highlight hops is it just a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery thin in the mouth but the grain tries to act as a backbone and the dryness and the carbonation tries to hide the thin body. Under closer inspection the beer does not hold steadfast.

Drinkability: If this is what you are looking for in your water then yes it is quite drinkable and could be almost refreshing.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 17, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

St. Pauli Girl is very a light golden color with a thick head that eventually dwindled down to almost nothing and has very little lacing.It hits your tongue with a smooth ,semi-crisp taste, that is quickly followed up by a bittery after taste.It does a nice semi-hoppy aroma. This is not a bad beer, but there certainly are better ones out there.

vickersspitfire, Jan 14, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Brilliantly clear, straw gold color, topped by a thin, pale white head that quickly disappears despite a reasonable carbonation. Sweet malt aromatics, lightly spicy hop aromatics. Actually smells a bit of sweet corn, despite the fact that I think it is all malt.

Quite dry tasting, thought there is a touch of sweet malt here as well. This beer is quite balanced towards the bitter side of the spectrum; with quite a nice hop bite in the finish. There is a soft, dry, almost dusty grain character to it. Quite light on the palate, though it does have some presence, including a lingering bitterness. Certainly there is nothing objectionable about this beer; clean, with not objectionable flavors at all. Perhaps not my cup of tea, but when handed this beer, which I was, I will certainly drink it.

Gueuzedude, Jan 06, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +15%

I suspect the number rating I give this will be identical to my bottled Beck's review. Hopefully it'll come out a little higher because I have to say I think this is the superior product. Appearance was pretty average. A beer slightly on the dark side of amber (more natural and less sickley looking than that bright macro yellow common to so many American macros). With a lively head that mostly disappeared quickly. Smell wasn't great. Partly the crisp barley smell you want from a pils, but also a bit on the skunky side which had me worried this was a Heineken clone. Taste was better. Though the first sip had me worried (it was also remeniscent of Henie), it quickly got better. All in all the hops and barley were nicely balanced. This was a crisp easily drinkable beer, but the flavor was still assertive, basically the beer Heineken and Becks both tried and failed to brew (Becks because its too weak, Heineken because it just tastes like spoiled crap). Overall the pleasant (if uncomplicated) taste and crisp lightness suggest a great session beer to me. I'd rate this the third best pils I've ever had (behind Czechvar and Urquell) and my second favorite. Nothing fancy here, but Pilsner isn't supposed to be fancy. They got the formula right. Ideal as a session beer or a lawnmower-BBQ beer if you can ignore the import price.

casualbeerman, Jan 03, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a small head, gets even smaller. Little bit of lacing going on. Looks like piss.

S - Skunky smell common with pilseners but not very strong.

T - Light beer macro lager taste, not bad. refreshing i guess.

M - A good amount of carbonation.

D - It's like drinking a macro but with slightly more class.

umustdrink, Jan 02, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -31%

12 oz green bottle, slightly skunked but not totally. I am still reviewing it because these are the conditions most people probably encounter.

Pale Yellow, bubbles stream upward for a very long time, white foamy head dissipates pretty quickly. Grass aromas, as well as some skunk odor- but not so much to make you sick.

Taste is a little skunky and grassy. Mouthfeel is actually what I'd be looking for in a macro lager. There is a nice amount of carbonation, not the usual overcarbonated stuff that burns your tongue.

MiScusi, Dec 23, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The appearance is the best part of this one. The beer poured a clear yellow, with a thick 1 inch head, that quickly faded to a small ring, leaving very little lacing. The aroma is the absolute worst part of this beer. It smells extremely skunky. I have never had a beer that smelt this bad. Aside from the smell, this beer is okay. The mouthfeel is average for a pilsner. The taste is decent. Nothing special here. Taste just like a light pilsner would taste. The drinkability is okay. Again, if you can get past the aroma of this beer, this would be a great session pilsner. This one just isn't for me.

beeragent, Dec 10, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +24.7%

This was a nice palate cleanser from my usual porter/stout sessions. I hadn't tried a St Pauli Girl in many years and it was just as I remembered: very hoppy and clean with a crisp strong flavor that is expected from a German Pils. Grasslike aromas and flavors highlight this beer that is a straw yellow, moderately carbonated lager beer. It doesn't really distinguish itself from say a Becks or Carlsberg but is tasty and refreshing nonetheless.

veech, Nov 12, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my staple beer. I keep this in my fridge and have for years now.

A - Pale yellow, gold in color. Pours into a pint w/ a nice foamy head that fades quickly, but laces the glass throughout the drink.

S - Slightly skunky

T - Very crisp, pilsner taste.

M - Carbonated.

D - Tasty, goes down smooth, an excellent choice for an everyday beer.

beeroclock, Oct 24, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: Pastel green glass 12 fluid ounce bottle. Classic label is famous worldwide for all the right reasons. No strength but the reverse label has a Best Before 01.2007.

Appearance: Incredibly pale golden body, in fact it has more of a yellow straw appearance when held to the afternoon Long beach sunshine. Sprightly conditioning and a solid looking ¼” thick bleached white head which has a short longevity. Tends to look a bit thin in the finish with undertones of a macro Light Beer.

Nose: Soft grain, sweetness and some floral character, but more perfume than the traditional hop style of flowery aromas one is used to. As it warms it tends to develop a rather sticky sweetness which is off-putting.

Taste: Funnily enough I hadn’t even thought about this being skunked until after I bought it. That said, once home and in the fridge it doesn’t have any of the traits associated with that little furry black and white polecat at all. Sadly however, there isn’t much of anything else. A light grain, some dry bitterness and a low end malt sweetness with some perfume. Has a tendency to go down and leave nothing memorable in the aftertaste is pretty much the deal here.

Mouthfeel: At first it exhibited a decent sized head, but that quickly disappears and sadly the conditioning seems to go with it. Falls flat rather too quickly and feels a tad stodgy as a result.

Drinkability: Straight from the fridge it quenches thirst with little effort. Beyond that though, it fails to bring anything special to table. A forgetful brew at times.

Overall: Whilst nothing special in the flavor department, this is a very clean drinking brew that tends to be higher on its thirst quenching ability than a long term drinking partner, though forced to drink this in lieu of other macros I could live with it.

TheLongBeachBum, Oct 08, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -28.6%

12 oz bottle, best before May ’07.

I used to love this beer when I was in high school. At the time it cost a lot more compared to the BMC, so it was our treat every once in a while.
I remember drinking it in the parking lot of an Anthrax show in the mid 80s. I haven’t had it since those days.

Pours crystal clear pale golden, with a soapy white head.

This one just came from the case, so it hasn’t had time to get really skunky yet.

Grassy, grainy aroma, but the skunk is starting to sneak in.

flavor is slightly sweet with a mild hop tingle, and a slight tin foil finish.

Not as good as I remembered but also not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.
To think I chipped a tooth opening one of these at that show.... ahh the ignorance of youth.

Padron4KM, Oct 07, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was another beer that was rather blah. Nothing too good, nothing too bad, however it was better than average, just not by much. It seemed like a good beer to have on a hot summer day when you are craving a sense of consistency, and nothing "seasonal" or unique. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Oct 07, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a pale golden color with a light lacing. A skunk grainy smell that gives you a little bit of a cringing sensation. The taste is a little on the sour side. It has a grainy sweet flavor with a pungent slightly fruit back to it. There are underlying hints of a metallic alcohol flavor that lave a bad aftertaste. It has a crisp feel slightly airy texture and finishes light. In all this is an ok beer. As far as the style goes it’s fairly good. It’s defiantly a beer that I would have to drink with something else to eat. I wouldn’t recommend this beer but as far as the style goes I can’t knock too much.

eballard, Oct 05, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I tried it again from the liquor store and out of the box instead of in the pantry fridge. Once again, the beer was poured into a mug. This might as well have been a completely different beer. It's like black and white compared to my previous experience. If you want to know more check out my forum: The Lesser of Two Evils?

Appearance is good. Dark yellow, but the head was not quite as big. I wish I had kept track of the carbination in the last one because this one looks like it's flat.

Smell is superb, unlike the other from yesterday. I smell some kind of fruit, no skunkyness.

Taste is'nt bad, but the aftertaste is bitter, which I hate.

Pretty much I don't know which is worse: the skunky one or the boxed one. They're both complete opposites of each other and I could drink both at the same amount in one night. It's pretty weird man. I'm going to experiment and compare bottles that have been in the fridge and in the box. But this time, I'm going to make sure both are from the same brew date. St. Pauli Girl has no brew date to my knowledge.

Jimbo07, Oct 04, 2006

I don't mind this german pilsner. It has just enough hoppiness for me, any more and I wouldn't drink it. Just enough to leave a crisp, dry taste in your mouth.

As it goes for cheap german style pilsners, this is not so bad. The mouthfeel is tingly on the tastebuds with the carbonation. This is a nice change every once in a while.

Rudgers73, Sep 09, 2006

Lace: little

Color:
Reflected- yellow
Transmitted- yellow

Aroma: skunk

Mouthfeel: thin

Palate: somewhat adjusts

Taste:
Start- sharp
Middle-
Finish- sweet

Comments: Refreshing actually.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- y
With Friends- y
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

TechMyst, Sep 09, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz green bottle, best before 05-2007.

Ugh--skunky aroma hit as soon as I opened the bottle. As I poured it, a pleasant cloudy lemon-gold color made me briefly forget the smell.. but my excitement was quickly damped as it settled down to a far less interesting clear golden yellow with a medium pure white head. The smell got progressively better in the glass, still strong enough at first that I dreaded lifting it to my mouth for a sip, but finally giving way partially to sweetness with a hint of lemon. Taste was better, a well blended mix of unidentifiable sweetness, hops and a subtle citrus, very nicely complemented by an almost creamy thickness and a fizzy kick, but the aftertaste was all sweet and left a bad impression. I can see this being pretty good fresh, though the sweetness should really be toned down. But as it is I'm not looking forward to finishing this six-pack.

greebsnarf, Sep 01, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +16%

St. Pauli Girl
12 oz green bottle
Best before 05.2007 dated on the back label
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a light golden straw yellow with a bone white thin lacing for a head on top. Decent patterns of sticky lacings.

The second the bottle cap comes off, aroma screams skunk madness. As I pour the beer into the glass the skunky scent isn't as powerful, but it still lingers in the background. Whiffs of German hops and grains.

Sweet, honey drizzle flavors with a dry grain quality. Hints of cooked veggies, cereal and hops on the finish that leave a little snap on the palate.

Drinkability rings in slighty above average. I put St.Pauli Girl right there with most European Lagers and beers like Beck's, Heineken and Stella Artois.

Hibernator, Aug 19, 2006

Poured a pale yellow almost clear body with a slight head. The smell and the taste where rather skunky. It might not of been a bad beer if it was taken better care of. However, what did give it points is that it was very thin and refreshing on a hot summer day even with the taste.

cproioi, Aug 07, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a clear straw color with a persistent head. The smell was hoppy and a bit citrus like. The taste was a classic pilsner with a bit of a citrus undertone – but other than that, nothing to make this beer stand out. The mouthfeel was thin and the carbonation was very noticeable. This would be decent cold beer on a hot day.

barefootbrewer, Aug 04, 2006
St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.