St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was another beer that was rather blah. Nothing too good, nothing too bad, however it was better than average, just not by much. It seemed like a good beer to have on a hot summer day when you are craving a sense of consistency, and nothing "seasonal" or unique. Don't drink and review.

treehugger02010, Oct 07, 2006
2.9/5  rDev +1%

This beer pours a pale golden color with a light lacing. A skunk grainy smell that gives you a little bit of a cringing sensation. The taste is a little on the sour side. It has a grainy sweet flavor with a pungent slightly fruit back to it. There are underlying hints of a metallic alcohol flavor that lave a bad aftertaste. It has a crisp feel slightly airy texture and finishes light. In all this is an ok beer. As far as the style goes it’s fairly good. It’s defiantly a beer that I would have to drink with something else to eat. I wouldn’t recommend this beer but as far as the style goes I can’t knock too much.

eballard, Oct 05, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I tried it again from the liquor store and out of the box instead of in the pantry fridge. Once again, the beer was poured into a mug. This might as well have been a completely different beer. It's like black and white compared to my previous experience. If you want to know more check out my forum: The Lesser of Two Evils?

Appearance is good. Dark yellow, but the head was not quite as big. I wish I had kept track of the carbination in the last one because this one looks like it's flat.

Smell is superb, unlike the other from yesterday. I smell some kind of fruit, no skunkyness.

Taste is'nt bad, but the aftertaste is bitter, which I hate.

Pretty much I don't know which is worse: the skunky one or the boxed one. They're both complete opposites of each other and I could drink both at the same amount in one night. It's pretty weird man. I'm going to experiment and compare bottles that have been in the fridge and in the box. But this time, I'm going to make sure both are from the same brew date. St. Pauli Girl has no brew date to my knowledge.

Jimbo07, Oct 04, 2006

I don't mind this german pilsner. It has just enough hoppiness for me, any more and I wouldn't drink it. Just enough to leave a crisp, dry taste in your mouth.

As it goes for cheap german style pilsners, this is not so bad. The mouthfeel is tingly on the tastebuds with the carbonation. This is a nice change every once in a while.

Rudgers73, Sep 09, 2006

Lace: little

Color:
Reflected- yellow
Transmitted- yellow

Aroma: skunk

Mouthfeel: thin

Palate: somewhat adjusts

Taste:
Start- sharp
Middle-
Finish- sweet

Comments: Refreshing actually.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- y
With Friends- y
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

TechMyst, Sep 09, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz green bottle, best before 05-2007.

Ugh--skunky aroma hit as soon as I opened the bottle. As I poured it, a pleasant cloudy lemon-gold color made me briefly forget the smell.. but my excitement was quickly damped as it settled down to a far less interesting clear golden yellow with a medium pure white head. The smell got progressively better in the glass, still strong enough at first that I dreaded lifting it to my mouth for a sip, but finally giving way partially to sweetness with a hint of lemon. Taste was better, a well blended mix of unidentifiable sweetness, hops and a subtle citrus, very nicely complemented by an almost creamy thickness and a fizzy kick, but the aftertaste was all sweet and left a bad impression. I can see this being pretty good fresh, though the sweetness should really be toned down. But as it is I'm not looking forward to finishing this six-pack.

greebsnarf, Sep 01, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +16%

St. Pauli Girl
12 oz green bottle
Best before 05.2007 dated on the back label
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a light golden straw yellow with a bone white thin lacing for a head on top. Decent patterns of sticky lacings.

The second the bottle cap comes off, aroma screams skunk madness. As I pour the beer into the glass the skunky scent isn't as powerful, but it still lingers in the background. Whiffs of German hops and grains.

Sweet, honey drizzle flavors with a dry grain quality. Hints of cooked veggies, cereal and hops on the finish that leave a little snap on the palate.

Drinkability rings in slighty above average. I put St.Pauli Girl right there with most European Lagers and beers like Beck's, Heineken and Stella Artois.

Hibernator, Aug 19, 2006

Poured a pale yellow almost clear body with a slight head. The smell and the taste where rather skunky. It might not of been a bad beer if it was taken better care of. However, what did give it points is that it was very thin and refreshing on a hot summer day even with the taste.

cproioi, Aug 07, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a clear straw color with a persistent head. The smell was hoppy and a bit citrus like. The taste was a classic pilsner with a bit of a citrus undertone – but other than that, nothing to make this beer stand out. The mouthfeel was thin and the carbonation was very noticeable. This would be decent cold beer on a hot day.

barefootbrewer, Aug 04, 2006
2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

St. Pauli Girl poured pale yellow in color topped by a tall, bright white head. Aroma of ragweed and skunk. Sweet with a lemongrass tartness and a hint of bitterness. Light in body, highly carbonated with a dry finish.

St. Pauli Girl is the definition of mediocre euro lager. I might drink this, if someone left it in my fridge (like this bottle), but I wouldn't waste my own money on it. You can do better than this.

frazbri, Jul 19, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -8.4%

This is an unassuming, rather bland inoffensive beer.

Served from a 12oz bottle at 45F into a pilsner glass. Pours a bright, pale yellow which quickly built a nice head, but just as quickly vanishes. Aroma carried a sweet, slightly sulfuring boquet. No hint of any hops aroma- noble or otherwise. From the front to the finish, this lager was a consistent blah. A typical German pilsener carries a sharp bite to accompany a slight malty body. St Pauli Girl Pils underwhelms. The only discernable hint of any character this beer hints of is a sublte sweetness that lingers well after it is swallowed.

Don't get me wrong. This isn't a bad beer, it's just I was expecting something that approached a German Pils. This is more reminiscent of a bland Helles or Export. If you are looking for an inoffensive lager to relax after mowing the lawn, then this beer is for you. If you are looking for something with more character try a Jever or Dortmunder.

jpkoch1962, Jun 24, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +24.7%

Had a bottle of this at my cousin's wedding reception last night. Pours a clear golden color. Little head and what head there is is gone rather quickly leaving behind very little lacing. Lots of little bubbles rapidly rising up to the top though for a good amount of time before leveling off. Aroma's are of some grains and hops, nothing out of the ordinary here. Taste is of some grains, hops, and maybe a few mild spices. An alright taste, but nothing special. Not all that different from a lot of lagers. In fact I used to think this beer was a lager instead of a pilsener like it actually is. Crisp mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Not surprising at all due to the bubbles discussed earlier. Very easy to drink. Nothing great of horrible here. An average pilsener.

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 18, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +14.3%

24 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a dull gold color. The white head is but a thin film by the first sip.

Smell: Typical hoppy scent that most pilsners have. A bit of spices too.

Taste: Again, hops and spice. A fairly nice flavor that's not too strong.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with a dull feel of carbonation.

Drinkability: Definitely a drinkable beer, but you'll be bored before the alcohol starts to hit you.

Basically this is an average German pilsner available in the US. A bit better than some in certain respects, but not others. As mentioned, it's perfectly drinkable, and maybe it would be good with food, but on it's own it becomes a bit tired after a bit. Sure, I'd have another... but I'd rather have something different.

mithrascruor, Jun 05, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale straw yellow with a descent white head that doesnt stick around. The aroma is mostly grainy, with some hints of corn and a slight herbal hoppiness. The flavor isnt much of an improvement with more grainy flavors, and some hints of corn, some slight hoppiness and metallic flavors. The mouthfeel is light with high carbonation and drinkability is the one category this beer does well. An ok euro pale lager...definately not a serious german pilsner.

silver0rlead, May 27, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear straw color with an half inch head that reduces down to a small layer as time passes. Smells has some funkyness to it, like slightly skunky. Taste reafearms smell, some funkyness. Other than that a standard mass produced pilsner, a bit better than US domestic pilsners.

gosurfobx, May 24, 2006

This is pretty much an average pilsner all around. Much better than domestics, but nothing to write home about. Yellowish color, slight head. Skunky, sort of off-putting aroma. A bit of a pale-sweet malt flavor, but dominated by skunky hops. Average mouthfeel for a pils, can be quite drinkable (epescially if you find them at a bar for $5, thanks Nomad).

dfried, May 22, 2006
2.17/5  rDev -24.4%

Classic straw yellow with a handful of fine bubble streams leading from glass bottom to bright white head. And a fine looking lid it is too. Tight-bubbled, finely pitting, persistent and better than average in the lace department. No matter what my other senses are about to experience, St. Pauli Girl looks good.

It wasn't surprising in the least that crown removal brought a mini-blast of skunk to my nose. Yet another green-bottled European lager. How's this for a slogan: "P.U. from the E.U." Nah, they probably wouldn't sell much beer with that. The nastiness fades quickly and I'm left with a bland, mildly grain-like, mildly musky hoppiness that doesn't offend.

Ditto St. Pauli Girl's flavor, although offensiveness is starting to trickle in at the edges. There isn't much barley malt present, which means very little sweetness to cut the moderately harsh bitterness of the Hallertau hops. What alpha acids are present (not many) are essentially unopposed by malt sugars.

I don't have much to say about the body/mouthfeel. Not much that's good anyway. It's light (maybe light-medium) for the style and is too finely fizzy. A more pleasurable mouthfeel would have gone a long way toward increasing drinkability.

The brewery says that 'you never forget your first girl'. That's true, but I have forgotten my first St. Pauli Girl. And my second and my third and my fourth. I drank SPG and SPG Dark on occasion years ago, but the flavor profile isn't familiar. More to the point, this isn't a beer that I want to remember from this point forward. I'd like to quickly forget what is sure to be my last (St. Pauli) Girl.

BuckeyeNation, May 19, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

Visual: Light, clear gold, weak head subsided quickly, moderate carbonation.
Aroma: Pils type with nice spicy hops component.
Flavor: Firm bitterness with hop flavor in beginning and middle and then a short in-balance bitter finish. Brief, dry bitterness in aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Appropriate carbonation, slightly light body, but in good balance with the rest of the beer.
Overall: Well balanced, good lighter pils-type lager.

utahbeerdude, May 16, 2006

After a tough day of directing the local historical society's annual fine arts show, I sat down at a picnic table on the fairgreounds with Crazy Bob from Maine for roast beef heros and a few cold St. Pauli Girl beers. This was the fabled beer of my teenage years that rivaled Heineken and Moosehead for my attention in the early 1980's.

It poured well with a small frothy top and large bubbles coming from the bottle as I poured (a sign of freshness). In the 16oz Solo cup it looked just fine and then we tasted the beers in earnest. It came on like a pilsner type of beer, but it had a funky bitter aftertaste which was a mild distraction.

One beer followed the next until three were consumed. I liked it with the overstuffed roast beef hero and I would like to try it on tap in the future as it appears to me that ALL beers taste better on draft.

bonbright7, May 08, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -31%

Poured light yellow, little carbonation, head foamy.
Smells faintly of malt, and skunkiness
Mouthfeel was thin and watery.
Taste was very light, skunked, diluted.
This beer was drinkable with food. I found it to be great when grilling out in the sun, accompanying a steak. Otherwise, it might be good as sparge water.

nitemarebrewer, Apr 28, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

A very drinkable German pils. I would say that it is an average representation of the style, on par with Beck's but below Dinkle Acker.

Appearance is tyical - light and foamy head with short retention and very little lacing. Smell and taste was average - no skunkiness detected.

plaid75, Apr 14, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +30.7%

drank a lot of these last summer, refreshing when it's really hot.

pours crystal clear straw yellow/gold color with pretty nice fizzy head. bubbles line the glass too.

smells light and grassy-sweet. slightly skunky, but not too bad.

taste is nice and light. very crisp, highly carbonated. a light sweet malt taste blends into a grassy and subtle hop aftertaste. refreshing if nothing else. that and the fact that i can get this for under 9 bucks a 12 pack most of the time makes it considerable if i feel like a light pilsener.

mouthfeel is very light and very bubbly and not this brew's finest point. but its light and crisp flavor makes it pretty drinkable, especially during summer in my opinion.

JasonCoop, Apr 04, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Poor without much head or carbonation. Faint yellow color, looks typical.

Smell - The predoimant smell is those of hops, very clean smell, yet faint for the most part. Definetely above average.

Taste - Good pilsner taste at the right amount. Slightly sweet, not bitter at all. Leaves a very slight soapy aftertaste, that would hurt the beers drinkability. Very soothing to the mouth. I suppose the taste could wear off if you're chugging this.

Drinkability - Drinkable for a 6-pack, however there are many other more flavorful beers that I find more appealing. Would probably wear on me eventually though.

palffyfan, Mar 11, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +23%

Okay, not a fancy beer but "not recommended" is a bit harsh. This is a nice basic pilsner a good standby or session lager. Key is to buy from a reliable source (so you know it was stored well) and also to get the 12 pack box as apposed to the 6 pack which is exposed to light.

Look is typical with a straw color and nice fizzy head. Taste is light and crisp with no offending flavor or odor, just good clean taste. Good all malt alternative to a macro session beer. I think people here tend to rate pilsners low in general.

kgotcher, Feb 24, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +16%

I picked up a 710 ml bottle of St. Pauli Girl at the grocery store to review. I had this beer many years ago, and don’t remember much about it. I poured the beer in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a pale yellow/gold color, clear and effervescent, with several streams of bubbles rising through the beer. One finger of pure white foamy head is reduced quickly to a thin champagne-like ring around the surface of the beer. The reduced head is somewhat resilient and produces some lacing on the side of the glass while drinking. It’s a classic looking pilsner, and a small storm of bubbles can be seen in the glass with each swallow.

The smell is fairly strong, and hoppy. There is a mild scent of malted grain, but this one is definitely casting a hop aroma.

The taste is hoppy but very mildly bitter. The flavor is mild and reasonably well balanced. There is a very soft, mellow and pleasant aftertaste. The taste reminds me of the first beers I ever tasted as a kid, when adults would give me a sip from their glass. I’ve always remembered that taste, and I find it in pilsners and that first sip of a macro when I have not had any beer for a few weeks.

The mouth feel of this beer is very light, crisp, clean and refreshing.

This is a very drinkable beer. It’s not filling, not overpowering with it’s flavor, and has a fairly low ABV. I could drink glass after glass of this beer in a session, and probably not tire of it. Like most pilsners, it would be particularly good on a hot summer day. As pilsners go I think this one is pretty good, but I don’t drink many pilsners, so I don’t have much to compare it with.

RJLarse, Feb 19, 2006
St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.