St. Pauli Girl - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli GirlSt. Pauli Girl

poor

St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co. visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-07-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Pauli Girl Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +37.6%

A- This beer is golden yellow, very clear, with a huge amount of carbonation. There is a nice, albeit fizzy, head.

S- The smell is a bit yeasty, nondistinct sweetness, with a slight skunkiness.

T- Very light bodied malty sweetness and a small mettallic tinge.

M- Mouthfeel is fairly thick for a macro and very fizzy.

D- This beer, while not amazingly complex, is one of my favorite session beers. Its very light and easy to drink, while having an excellent taste that keeps me from being bored after drinking a few.

Lothore, Aug 14, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +54.4%

This beer has always had a special place in my heart, my first favorite good beer. Undoubtedly ingrained in my mind from the pauli girl posture that hung in our garage during my childhood. In spite of how far my beer horizons have grown, I still find myself coming back to this one time and time again, partially out of sentiment, and that I think it's a tasty, easy drinking example style. For those situations where the proletariat demands a macro lager, this always comes through. In fact, we served this at my wedding.

One of the rare times I've poured it into a glass, this time into a nonic pint, it's a pale yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades to a steady skim, fed by the steady streamers.

The aroma is moderate, raw grain, leafy hops, and a sulfur skunkiness.

The taste is also grainy and skunky, a bit of bread dough as well, with a dry, bitter, crisp noble hop finish.

The mouthfeel is crisp and the body is very light. It seems a little watery out of the glass, but I never notice this out of the bottle.

Since I like this beer, I can drink it like water. My go to cheap hot drink a lot brew, it never lets me down...while I recognize that I drank their kool-aide, it's pretty good. Indeed, some girls are unforgettable!

ccrida, Aug 11, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The color was not bad, pouring a hazy light gold, with a quickly dissolving head. Their is a hint of skunky smell, mixed with maltiness. The malty taste is predominant in this brew. It is a bit dry and bitter going down. This is not something I will probably ever drink again.

WillieMoe, Jul 30, 2007

Overlying skunkiness and not a lot of flavor excepting some bitterness at the very back of the tongue. Looks like apple juice. Tastes like a bolder Heineken. I don't think I'll buy this one again. Really never had a great beer out of green glass yet.

bboven, Jul 28, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +22%

This is a entry level for Germany Beer 101. It has a fruity, licorish flavors. It has all of the great characteristics of Germany breweries. It has a very bubbly texture and the golden brown color is so true to what a beer chould look like.

This beer holds a special place in MY heart. It was the first beer I ever had when I was 15 years old.

Leebo2007, Jul 13, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -29.3%

A very clear, can see right through it. Looks like an American lager. Poor head retention.

It does have a scent, but not that pleasant. Hops and a bit of skunkiness.

Not good taste, bitter skunkiness. Too watery as well.

Nothing much to reccomend this beer.

jar2574, Jul 13, 2007
2.9/5  rDev +1%

pretty good beer. like the label too! not the best of a German beer but certainly worth a try!

light enough that you can have 2 or 10 and not be completely full. i dont find this as often as i used to so i pick it up when i do. a nice change from the same ole same ole!

give it a try and dont drool on the label!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Jun 28, 2007
1.78/5  rDev -38%

Poured into my pint glass from the bottle a golden yellow/piss color with almost no head and plenty of carbonation bubbles. It smells like a skunky corny macro with a little malt. The taste is very much like the smell. The biggest flavor is that corny skunk but it finishes very clean.

Overall it is just another below average euro lager. Pass on this one.

robocrouch, Jun 23, 2007

Appearance: Crisp yellowish color with bubbles of carbonation racing towards the top of the glass.

Smell: Not necessarily an aroma bomb but there are some hops and big grain smell on the nose.

Taste: Clean and crisp, nothing to write home about. Some light grain, roasted corn and hops are present here.

Mouthfeel: As was expected it was a bit thin and quite carbonated.

Drinkability: Slam a 6er on the front 9 drinkable.

Thoughts: If I take everything into consideration (price, rarity, type of beer, etc) I think this is pretty decent. Especially if you are looking for a summer beer and don't want to follow the crowd and start stuffing citrus fruit into clear bottled skunk ass beer. Give this one a shot while on the boat or the beach.

session1979, Jun 12, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +8%

Brilliantly clear straw-gold color with a small head. Grainy malt aroma, with but the slightest hint of hops. Flavor is likewise bland, with fairly ordinary and light malt, modest bitterness at best, and a clean flavorless finish. Crisp, light body and texture.

Just goes to show Reinheitsgebot is no guarantee of flavor or drinkability in a beer. Together with Lowenbrau, one of Germany's blandest beers.

allengarvin, Jun 06, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +8%

12oz green bottle

St. Pauli Girl Lager was light golden in color with good clarity. It had a bubbly white head that dissipated to a thin ring before long. The aroma was light grain, malt, and hops with a touch of skunk. The taste was light malt and little grainy with some hops and a dry finish. It was medium-light in body with good carbonantion. Overall it was a decent beer that was crisp and refreshing.

afinepilsner, May 18, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a thin yellow, not unlike hard cider. Very little head, which fades instantly. Some visible carbonation.

Smell is of wet hops, and very slightly sour.

Taste is light, moderately carbonated. Semi-sweet, the smallest hint of grains, and a taste of hops. Balanced, if not a tiny bit astringent and sour.
Very easy to drink, and probably decently sessionable, I'm just not inspired enough to want more.

waldowin, May 11, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +35.9%

12 oz green bottle poured in a pint glass. Enjoyed on Maui.

Pale yellow & clear. Thin cap on the pour recedes to almost nothing. Just a trace of a white ring on the outside.

Aroma of noble hops and toasty malt. Lightly sweet and bready with touches of skunk hop.

Bright taste. Nicely balanced toasty malt and noble hops at the start with a slight bready background. Refreshing. Even throughout. Aftertaste doesn't hang around too long, but it's mostly noble hops and light sweetness.

Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Mild hop bite.

Very drinkable and refreshing. A pleasant, uncomplicated beer.

Noxious26, May 05, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that soon disappears.

The smell is of grass and sulfur.

The taste is of grass, sulfur, some oily slickness. Sweet malt with some slightly metallic hops. Sweet, oily finish.

There is something of a crispness to it. Overall, fairly smooth. Chemicalish aftertaste.

An average-ish green-bottled, boring Euro-lager. Not much of a pilsner, but ok. Pretty easy to drink. Not "bad", there are worse - but there are better. A better pick than Heineken or Beck's, but...

jwc215, Apr 21, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +28.9%

I do not care what others on BA have to say about this. After a long doubleheader of softball, this and a slice a pizza was absolutely perfect. Sweeter than many German pilsners, very easy to drink, and no real flaws, I think I'll try to keep a sixer of this in the house of the course of the season.

Backer2004, Apr 18, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. bottle- color of straw yellow , with a thin off white head – crisp nose of sweet yellow corn , wet grass , faint bubblegum , and mild hops – sharp taste of grain , hay , and mild bitterness- body is sharp , lactic , and with medium high carbonation – aftertaste of skunk , mild bitterness , gummy , and bubblegum

stephendr, Mar 27, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +22%

I've been holding back on trying this beer. Macro Euro Lagers don't get me too excited. Especially when I think of Beck's. Anyhow, I finally got the kahoonas to try St. Pauli's

With a fast pour, this produces about a two finger thick pure white head. The body of this brew is ultra clear and golden in color

Good aromas balanced with malt and hops. Has the freshly mown hay and straw characteristics of a good lager.

The taste isn't too bad. It's got the grainy, cereal consistancy of a pils, with a vivid hops presence. It's light bodied and refreshing. It ends with a bitter orange rind flavor.

Overall, I'm pleased to have finally tried this beer. It's a bit above average for a German Macro Lager/Pils. I'll have to keep and eye out and try the dark and/or special dark.

TheSarge, Feb 25, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance- Has a light yellow/straw color. Very clear. Has a decent white head that disappears fairly quickly. Leaves no lace at all.. clear fizzy yellow, with no head to speak of.

Aroma- Mostly a sowr-mash and grainyiness with some bittering hops thrown in. It doesn't smell light-struck, but it did come in a green bottle.

Taste- Tastes more like a decent American macro-lager than a German pilsner. Mostly sour-mash with some bittering hops. I think I'm getting some corn in there to. Swish it around in your mouth, and the bittering hops come out a bit more.

Mouthfeel- Light-medium body. Carbonation level is okay. Slight CO2 bite on the toungue.

Drinkability- It's okay for just a beer, but for a German Pilsner, I can't rate it very high.

theopholis, Feb 21, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -10.1%

This poured a straw-colored, light gold with a thin, bubbly head and some slight evervescence. The smell is of grassy grains. Sweet and hoppy but quite a bit of skunk to go with it. The taste is a mixture of sweet and bitter, but they don't combine well and both can be distinguished. Not the greatest, but not the worst beer out there.

Neehan, Feb 05, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -8.4%

While typing my review of this German Pilsner, I'm going to play some Beethoven to fit the theme. Now if only I had some sauerkraut to go along with this. Let's get on to the beer:

Poured into a stange glass, an average foamy head rises from the straw colored body. Now the question is whether the beer is skunked. Why, yes it is. Pepe LePew crawls out of the beer along with his grain and minor herb note smells. There's a mild malt profile followed and dominated by skunked hops. The beer feels light with a tingly, slight seltzer feel.

I had a 24 ounce bottle of this to drink. It was okay, I guess. After awhile though, I lost my interest in this brew. Nothing to really wow about here other than that fact it's imported from Germany.

DoubleJ, Jan 29, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +0.3%

I used to drink plenty of this beer before my craft beer days. Coming back to it is not as bad as I feared but I certainly wont go back to it now.

Appearance: Perfectly clear pale gold with big carbonation bubbles and a sudsy white head. Little lacing in my pilsner glass.

Smell: It has a bit of that sour grain mustiness and a dirty earthy processed hop attribute.

Taste: Crisp light sweet malt attribute. It is better than I expected returning to this beer all these years later but it can't hold up to the "average" micro brewed German Pilsner IMO. It is not a bad flavor just week until the aftertaste which sit with me as a bitter that doesn’t highlight hops is it just a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Watery thin in the mouth but the grain tries to act as a backbone and the dryness and the carbonation tries to hide the thin body. Under closer inspection the beer does not hold steadfast.

Drinkability: If this is what you are looking for in your water then yes it is quite drinkable and could be almost refreshing.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 17, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -3.1%

St. Pauli Girl is very a light golden color with a thick head that eventually dwindled down to almost nothing and has very little lacing.It hits your tongue with a smooth ,semi-crisp taste, that is quickly followed up by a bittery after taste.It does a nice semi-hoppy aroma. This is not a bad beer, but there certainly are better ones out there.

vickersspitfire, Jan 14, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Brilliantly clear, straw gold color, topped by a thin, pale white head that quickly disappears despite a reasonable carbonation. Sweet malt aromatics, lightly spicy hop aromatics. Actually smells a bit of sweet corn, despite the fact that I think it is all malt.

Quite dry tasting, thought there is a touch of sweet malt here as well. This beer is quite balanced towards the bitter side of the spectrum; with quite a nice hop bite in the finish. There is a soft, dry, almost dusty grain character to it. Quite light on the palate, though it does have some presence, including a lingering bitterness. Certainly there is nothing objectionable about this beer; clean, with not objectionable flavors at all. Perhaps not my cup of tea, but when handed this beer, which I was, I will certainly drink it.

Gueuzedude, Jan 06, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +15%

I suspect the number rating I give this will be identical to my bottled Beck's review. Hopefully it'll come out a little higher because I have to say I think this is the superior product. Appearance was pretty average. A beer slightly on the dark side of amber (more natural and less sickley looking than that bright macro yellow common to so many American macros). With a lively head that mostly disappeared quickly. Smell wasn't great. Partly the crisp barley smell you want from a pils, but also a bit on the skunky side which had me worried this was a Heineken clone. Taste was better. Though the first sip had me worried (it was also remeniscent of Henie), it quickly got better. All in all the hops and barley were nicely balanced. This was a crisp easily drinkable beer, but the flavor was still assertive, basically the beer Heineken and Becks both tried and failed to brew (Becks because its too weak, Heineken because it just tastes like spoiled crap). Overall the pleasant (if uncomplicated) taste and crisp lightness suggest a great session beer to me. I'd rate this the third best pils I've ever had (behind Czechvar and Urquell) and my second favorite. Nothing fancy here, but Pilsner isn't supposed to be fancy. They got the formula right. Ideal as a session beer or a lawnmower-BBQ beer if you can ignore the import price.

casualbeerman, Jan 03, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a small head, gets even smaller. Little bit of lacing going on. Looks like piss.

S - Skunky smell common with pilseners but not very strong.

T - Light beer macro lager taste, not bad. refreshing i guess.

M - A good amount of carbonation.

D - It's like drinking a macro but with slightly more class.

umustdrink, Jan 02, 2007
St. Pauli Girl from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.