St. Pauli N. A. - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.

awful

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-05-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 120 | Reviews: 68
1.5/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Typical green bottle flavors come through to me. A heavy skunky flavor comes through on both the nose and the taste.

2.73/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not bad for a NA brew. I mean, that's not saying much, since there's still no reason to drink it.

3.93/5  rDev +73.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It's an NA beer, so I rated it in comparison to what I expect from an NA beer.

Has a slightly deep golden color.

Skunky smell which I like.

Tastes more like beer than most NA's. Despite a slight metallic taste in spots, it actually has a good overall taste.

Has a light feel but thicker than its competitors.

Overall a good NA beer. A little expensive for what it is though.

Better than average for this style but still not too pleasant.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%

skunky flat tasting had ok color but if that is the best that I can come up with, you might want to pass on this brew.

2.74/5  rDev +21.2%

Got one for free for being a designated driver and this was my first NA beer. The appearance was a pale yellow and the smell was mostly rice. Good amount of carbonation though. The taste was mostly rice with some hints of malt although it had a bit of a metallic twinge to it near the end. The mouthfeel was average, but overall it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be.

2.65/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours to a generous head that persists. Color is pale straw. Aroma is skunky and rubbery to the point I almost gave up. There are some nice wort-like malt and noble hop aromas in there once the skunk dissipates in the nasal passages. Unlike most green bottle beers the skunk aroma does not decrease much over time. Flavor is pretty good with some sticky pale malt and noble hop flavors to make it enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light, slightly wort-y and not as rough as other NAs. Overall, good as NAs go but the mercaptans in the nose nearly killed the deal.

2.41/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

St. Pauli NA is a way better beer than O'Douls . way better taste way better smell. I would prefer a heavy beer but they don't make NA stout beers but the most beer that is close to a stout is Kaliber which is made by Guinness also there is Malta which is supposed be a good beer.

1.61/5  rDev -28.8%

Appearance - good clarity to the straw color. Nice finger of sticky white foamage. Good lacing, too.

Aroma - extremely skunky. DGB on the scene. Yuck. That does dissipate some, allowing some strong veggie character through. Good enough to get off the schneid, but just barely.

Taste - sweet and vegetal. It's a good thing I'm thirsty or this would be an instant DP. Like a pils with no saaz, they could have at least amped that part up. Almost a salty taste as I bang the last half down with prejudice due to misconduct on the part of this beer. The aftertaste is a punishing mix of shallow sweetness, bubbles, and veggies.

Mouthfeel - slickish, good carbonation at least makes for some fizz. Body is light enough to have a reasonably refreshing feel.

Overall - no thank you, I shall pass.

3.38/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours a few shades yellower than water, crystal clear, with a huge soft, dense, bright white head that stuck around for a long while before fading into a very rocky and thick film that left sticky rocky lace. Very impressive actually.
S: Strong notes of dry grains pretty much dominate. Sweet notes of honey and wort-like malt extract poke through as well. Smells like beer while its still wort in the kettle, in a good way.
T: More sweet honey tastes mixed with cracked grains and biscuity yeast. The finish is sweet and wort-like and the aftertaste is drying with flavors of bready wheat and oats.
M: Medium-light body, soft fuzzy carbonation, slick, chew mouthfeel.
O: As far as pale lagers go this is better than some of the alcoholic ones. A bit to sweet for me to love though, but I actually wouldn't mind drinking this again.

3.55/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden color with a centimeter thick, creamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving a very nice lacing.

Smell - Has a very nice skunk aroma with butter, malts, and bread.

Taste - Identical to the aroma without the skunk. The sweetness of it is a little strong and tastes weird.. I can't really describe it. It kind of reminds me of that flavor gluten-free beers have.. Which I think is sorghum

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - I'm not so impressed by this N/A beer compared to the others I've tried.

3.21/5  rDev +42%

Clear gold with two fingers of 5 minute white head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is skunk and grains.
Taste is sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops coming in late.
Mouthfeel is average carbonation and thin bodied.
Overall a passable beer for the style. Seems quite a bit sweeter than their regular beer.
Best by 0913.

2.95/5  rDev +30.5%

Best by 09. 2012

Golden with a central dome and outward flowing bone white foam. Pretty good look for the style examples I've seen. Smells of light grain, some dough, some sweet bread, a touch of floral hops and a little bit of yeast character. Corn, grain, really sweet, slight bitterness on the back end. Nothing special. Thin bodied and moderate carb. Meh, not the worst, not the best I've had. It's funny though, I'm finding that the NA beers have the knack of never really seeming to skunk.

2.55/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that died down and left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface along with lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of skunk and cooked corn in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but also has some hints of bready malts akin to a pilsner. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied—but not watery—on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This isn’t one of the greatest non-alcoholic beers but the taste isn’t that offensive and tastes better than some American Adjunct Lagers.

2.55/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pilsner: Completely transparent body that just kind of tints everything on the other side of it a little jaundicey. Three fingers of glistening, porous, white foam that leaves sudsy lacing all over. A few slow, small bubbles of nucleation - like, I can literally count them.

Smells like sweet apple juice & just a little corn flake. Honestly not an offensive smell (if not particularly appetizing, either), but there's just a hint of "aftersmell" when I pull it away from my nose that varies from damp basement to gas station. Only happens once or twice, so I'm not giving it too much of a hit because of that.

Again, just kind of a weak apple juice taste with a very subdued/faky graininess. Bitterness in the finish, actually a little crisp.

Thin mouthfeel with a slight tingle & a small sugary sweetness.

This may come as a shock, but I've actually had worse beers than this. I can't say I *liked* it, but I sure didn't hate it either. The highs sure weren't high, but the lows weren't huge turn-offs. Just a pretty bland malt/apple soda, basically.

3.3/5  rDev +46%

Appearance - Light, pale straw color, with a stark-white frothy head.

Aroma - Pale, toasted malts, hops, and clean water.

Taste - Pale, roasted malts, but most noticeable are the grassy hops at the front.

The mouthfeel is watery and light.

It's a good change of pace for low-alcohol beers. It's a little too chalky for me, but it is still good.

2.83/5  rDev +25.2%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, could be the dreaded green bottle. Taste also has some skunk to it, somewhat sweet, lots of grains. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I wouldn't go out of my to find this one.

2.26/5  rDev 0%

OK, I admit,I'm only reviewing this to tick a style that I haven't done yet. I would never buy a sixer of this but came across a free single bottle, so here goes! As soon as I started pouring this into a mug it was nothing but skunk and dank pot. The area around me smells like bedroom in college. Taste is really sweet and grainy. Really wasn't expecting it to be this sweet, but it is with lots of grainy flavors, slightly floral, and no real hoppiness. It's actually not awful, but not really good either. Hard to get past the skunky aroma though, so I try not to smell it as I drink it. Mouthfeel is like a light lager. Meh... I haven't had an N/A beer in probably 10 years or more, and this really isn't enjoyable largely because there's no alcohol in it (well, a negligible amount) and it really detracts from the flavor. Beer really does need to have sort of alcohol qualities to give it it some more flavor... But anyways, not need to contemplate it this much. It's a beer, and skunky, sweet, grainy one at that. Not good but not horrific.

2.13/5  rDev -5.8%

There's no confusion or mistake, this is a skunk monster from the second you pop the cap. Maybe it is a skunk-resemblance monster, but it is there. For goodness' sake, drink it straight from the bottle and avoid nosing this beer.

Pours nice pale golden with white frothy head. Good appearance. Tastes chalky-malty, light flavored, light bodied, with decent carbonation. Finishes corn sugary sweet.

Oh god, the nose... it is unyielding.

2.23/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice a nice one-finger white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy, slightly malty. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy, little malt note. Light Body. Not too bad, but still a shitty beer.

1.95/5  rDev -13.7%

The marketing slogan used to be, "You never forget your first Girl", and that was certainly the case for me. She was a skunky mess that quickly became a drain pour, despite the fact that I was underage and had really worked to score that beer. I am trying the Girl out in her N.A. form today.

I see that this beer has received solidly low scores and I wonder if people are reviewing to taste or to style. It is a conundrum that I often wrestle with in regards to both AALs and AMLs, neither of which are very tasty (to me), but which fit into style guidelines. I am going to be drinking a number of N-A and low-alcohol beers today since I really tore myself up last weekend and I want to balance things out. I will try to be as objective as possible.

Right off the bat, upon popping the cap, I got a whiff of either Saaz or skunk, either of which is possible, given these green bottles. My pour created just better than a finger of rocky, bone-white head that fell like a souffle when you bang the oven door closed. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity, given that I could see into the future with it. Lots of CO2 bubbles were in evidence. Nose was Saaz-like, not downright skunked, so I am erring on the side of caution. Mouthfeel was medium but with a heavy metallic taste in the mouth. This was not skunked, but neither was it much good! Feh, I could taste Saaz hops in the background, but the metallic flavor up front was more than I wanted to deal with. Finish left me cold, at best. I just could not shake that metallic taste which seemed pervasive from start to finish. I'm sorry Todd had an allergic reaction and I would not foist this on anybody.

2.88/5  rDev +27.4%

The pour was decent, light color with lots of carbonation and a tow inch fizzy white head. Decent retention as well. The aroma was lots of grainy malts, light bready character with a hint of earthy hops. The flavor followed along nicely, smooth, crisp, clean. Not much depth here, but the style really does not require it. Easily drinkable and really not that bad at all. For my first low ABV beer, I was not totally turned off by it.

2.04/5  rDev -9.7%

12 0z green bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a deep foamy head which fades a little bit but surprisingly holds a little while. Pale, light golden-yellow. Heavy carbonation.

S: Skunk. Metal. Honey-sweet. Seriously, I can have a Heineken or Peroni now and then, but this smell is a serious turn off.

T: Honey flavor on top of really weak malt. Skunkiness doesn't show up alot in the flavor except in the awful aftertaste.

M: Foamy & thick on the first impression then watery with a sugar presence.

D: Not at all. I'd rather drink an O'Doul's Amber or Kaliber if alcohol was an issue (which it is not).

1.66/5  rDev -26.5%

A: really nice lacinig; clear amber color; decent head; that's about the best thing going for this beer
S: oh man this thing stinks; you might want to keep it in the bottle; I like the verb another reviewer used, skunked.
T: cloying rotten cabbage; and no buzz for a reward
M: nicely tingles the tongue; very, very nice...were it not for all the other things
D: I would need to be paid to have another

2.09/5  rDev -7.5%

Acquired in a particularly insignificant trade with drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: This beer appears a very light shade of yellow and is crystal clear. The effervescence is slow paced, and the bubbles seem to be losing numbers. There is a quarter inch of white head that fades almost completely away after a few moments, but does leave a touch of lacing on the glass.

S: Pilsner malt, sweet corn or grain. The aroma is of cheap adjunct lager or N.A. beer. It's not particularly appealing, per se, but one can't expect greatness from a N.A. brew.

T: There's not a lot to report in the taste department. What is there consists mostly of overly sweetened pilsner malt and corn. The beer is cloyingly sweet, without any redeeming aspects to counteract its unimpressive taste. That being said, the beer is not horrid or completely repugnant. It is what it is, and I can respect why N.A. beer exists.

M: Very thin and watery, with no backbone. Sweet unpleasant aftertaste.

D: Ironically, I don't find this, or most other N.A. beers, to be very drinkable or sessionable. I have had my fair share of N.A. beers while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, and even then couldn't force more than two down on any given night. If I want something really drinkable with no alcohol in it, I'll opt for water.

to view more.
St. Pauli N. A. from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.