St. Pauli N. A. - St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.

St. Pauli N. A.St. Pauli N. A.

awful

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-05-2001

Ratings: 122 | Reviews: 69
Reviews by JoLight:
3.3/5  rDev +45.4%

Appearance - Light, pale straw color, with a stark-white frothy head.

Aroma - Pale, toasted malts, hops, and clean water.

Taste - Pale, roasted malts, but most noticeable are the grassy hops at the front.

The mouthfeel is watery and light.

It's a good change of pace for low-alcohol beers. It's a little too chalky for me, but it is still good.

1.5/5  rDev -33.9%

skunky flat tasting had ok color but if that is the best that I can come up with, you might want to pass on this brew.

1.32/5  rDev -41.9%

I actually had an allergic reaction to this beer.

2.31/5  rDev +1.8%

Presentation: 12oz green bottle with a foil neck. Definitely distinguishes itself as being a "malt beverage" ... no sign of "beer" here. Best before on the back label.

Appearance: Extremely pale and clear yellow. Lace is thin, patchy, with large bubble clusters along the sides.

Smell: Very floral in the nose, but more like a fake floral aroma (perhaps from the use of a hop oil extract) with light grain notes. Some may mistake this as a skunky aroma.

Taste: Very smooth with a moderate carbonation, sweet though a little starchy with a bitter hop oil flavour that seem extract like. Odd metalic and even steely flavour underneath that goes astringent further into the finish with the bitter hop oil.

Notes: Coarse on the palate, too much hop and not crisp enough. Tastes similar to unfermented beer. There are better non-alcoholic brews out there for sure. Less than 0.5% abv.

1.55/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Weak ass appearance, looks like mineral water. Aroma, a degree of enjoyable funkiness.

A sweet, funky taste, I guess better than average for style, but I don't grade too much for style, I grade for enjoyable beer. This one is not. I think to make a beer NA, they must have a flavor and hop filter machine.

Unfortunately, the sweetness doesn't seem to be from natural sugar, yeast or fermentation, but saccharin or something. What cracks me up is that it seems like it has the heat of a high ABV beer. Strange.

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

I'm going to say right up front, I usually don't touch non-alcoholic beers for drinking. O'douls, however, has fairly recently found its place in my fridge, simply because it does that job whenever I want to cook with beer, and don't want to part with anything I'd rather drink.

But there is nothing beer about this whatsoever. It leaves a harsh, lingering, biting taste not unlike licking a 9-volt battery. Finishing the bottle was almost agonizing. I see no reason why anyone should buy this "malt beverage," ever.

1.86/5  rDev -18.1%

Dammit man. I train for a Marathon and go dry for a month, but figured some NA Beer would get me done. This stuff had some maltyness to it, but it smelled and tasted like day old ass. I'm sorry. I tried it at a restaurant in the Houston airport, and again in an Orlando restaurant. Both times it was horrible and I had to force it down.

2.61/5  rDev +15%

Not a bad beer for it's style, quite drinkable, passable for a night when I needed to drive and stay out late and not drink water or something sugary. Some satisfction. OK in all the categories although not to good an aroma. Mellow, but also a half year past due from Premiere Gourmet.

1.66/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale golden yellow color with an off-white head with pretty decent lacing and retention.

S- The aroma is very light faint grains with a hint of grassy hops. Slightly better than expected.

T- The taste is light grain with a sugary sweetness in the middle and a touch of bitterness in the finish from the hops. It wouldn't be half bad if it wasn't for the sweetness. To me is tastes like they added a packet or two of Splenda into the beer.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I would avoid drinking this one again. The taste is downright terrible.

1.13/5  rDev -50.2%

Bottle poured into champagne glass at a "garden party" where there were no good beer options so I figured I'd see how bad this could be. How bad was it? Pretty awful.

A - Odd yellowish color with pretty much no head. Not appealing. Looks like apple juice contaminated with radioactive waste.

S - Brutally offensive grainy adjunk with a hint of skunk.

T - Adjunk, corn, diacetyl, skunky noble hops, and water, balanced (poorly if I mad add) by an unpleasantly sweet Equal sweetener flavor.

M - Flat and light, with some astringency.

D - Well, considering how watery it is, it should be drinkable, but it somehow fails at this too. After a few sips, I just couldn't bring myself to choke the rest down. Ground pour. Switched to iced tea since I couldn't stand to take another taste of crappy "beer."

2.65/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours to a generous head that persists. Color is pale straw. Aroma is skunky and rubbery to the point I almost gave up. There are some nice wort-like malt and noble hop aromas in there once the skunk dissipates in the nasal passages. Unlike most green bottle beers the skunk aroma does not decrease much over time. Flavor is pretty good with some sticky pale malt and noble hop flavors to make it enjoyable. Mouthfeel is light, slightly wort-y and not as rough as other NAs. Overall, good as NAs go but the mercaptans in the nose nearly killed the deal.

2.83/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very skunky, could be the dreaded green bottle. Taste also has some skunk to it, somewhat sweet, lots of grains. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I wouldn't go out of my to find this one.

2.06/5  rDev -9.3%

From a 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 10.2009/L29889B. The pour is a thing pale yellow with a foamy, puffy, choppy white head. The aroma is atypical N-A malts. The texture is watery. Overall it tastes rather flat and stale like unsweetened malts. What do you want for an N-A?

3.21/5  rDev +41.4%

Clear gold with two fingers of 5 minute white head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is skunk and grains.
Taste is sweet malts with a touch of bitter hops coming in late.
Mouthfeel is average carbonation and thin bodied.
Overall a passable beer for the style. Seems quite a bit sweeter than their regular beer.
Best by 0913.

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

The pour was decent, light color with lots of carbonation and a tow inch fizzy white head. Decent retention as well. The aroma was lots of grainy malts, light bready character with a hint of earthy hops. The flavor followed along nicely, smooth, crisp, clean. Not much depth here, but the style really does not require it. Easily drinkable and really not that bad at all. For my first low ABV beer, I was not totally turned off by it.

2.61/5  rDev +15%

A: Clear yellow with very little head.

S: Somewhat skunky adjunct malts; some out-of-character hop aroma in there also.

T: Faint sweet adjunct malts lead to an interesting hoppy bite, followed by a saccharine residue like the sugary aftertaste of a diluted mojito.

M: Crisp and fairly refreshing.

D: This was certainly more drinkable than I had imagined, and actually tastes pretty decently like a typical lager. But still, I don't quite get the point of non-alcoholic beer. Quoting Quagmire from "Family Guy": "It's like a snake without venom. It'd just be a... belt."

2.41/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

St. Pauli NA is a way better beer than O'Douls . way better taste way better smell. I would prefer a heavy beer but they don't make NA stout beers but the most beer that is close to a stout is Kaliber which is made by Guinness also there is Malta which is supposed be a good beer.

2.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear light yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin bright white head that died down and left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface along with lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: There are light aromas of skunk and cooked corn in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but also has some hints of bready malts akin to a pilsner. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light-bodied—but not watery—on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This isn’t one of the greatest non-alcoholic beers but the taste isn’t that offensive and tastes better than some American Adjunct Lagers.

3.95/5  rDev +74%

This and Lowenbrau are probably the 2 best options I have had so far for non-alcoholic beers. I know that beers in these categories usually get low ratings but I try to be fare and not rate them exactly like I would a beer with alcohol in it.

Appearance- A good straw yellow with little head.

Smell- Not very strong but good for a non-alcoholic.

Taste- Good beer flavor hardly any aftertaste.

Mouth feel- Okay, not a wonderful mouth feel but not horrible either.

Drinkability- Goes down decently but a little rough for a “near beer”

3.3/5  rDev +45.4%

Purchased at Winooski Beverage Warehouse in VT at the end of December.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, best before 06/2008

Appearance: pale-gold & clear body, average carbonation with a 1 finger head that recedes quickly.

Smell: Mild malt with a bit of nut in there.

Taste: crisp, clean & a mild sweet taste left on the lips.

Mouthfeel: Definitely smooth and malty start with a touch of bitterness at the end. As it warms, nuttiness is quite apparent.

Drinkability: eh, it does go down smoothly so it's drinkable but i don't think i'd have more than one at a time.

Overall: One of the better NA beers. Though not a big fan of the style, it is well interpreted.

2.64/5  rDev +16.3%

The points I gave it are for judging it as a NA. Man, from the review Jason gave I thing someone wizzed in the bottle and put the cap back on. I did not get any metalic flavors nor the astringancy. What I got out of it was a nice floral nose and a mild hop bitterness. Yes there was a bit of sweet (unfermented??) malt but I think that is better than none at all like the Bitburger or the Clausthaler (SP?). I haven't tried all of the NAs but this one at least has some redeeming quality to it. Luckily I don't HAVE to drink NAs but from the people I know that do this one ranks way up there. Now if I compared this to regular beers it would get a 1 to 1.5. I would still take this over a Bud.

2.53/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Crystal-clear light golden color with lively carbonation and a fairly large snow-white head that soon fades to a paper-thin layer, a little lace. Light malt aroma with mild floral hops and with quite a bit of green glass lager skunk, unintentional, I'm sure, but amusing, nonetheless. Taste begins with decent tart malt and lively carbonation, followed by some mild and lingering hop bitterness. The finish is a bit dry. All in all, not that bad for a non-alcoholic beer.

2.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a clear golden beer with a puffy white head. Looks like a German Lager.

Smell is sweet malt and full of toasted grain. Faint herbal hop odor.

Taste is grain and raisins with a stout bitterness from the hops. All there is to this is grain flavor and a fairly harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel is present.

Not drinkable in my opinion. Not real flavorful and without enough malt to balance the bitterness level. There are many better NAs out there.

3.26/5  rDev +43.6%

I liked this beer. I have had regular St. Paulie Girl and enjoyed it. N.A. is a step down it seems. It had a decent color to it, almost a golden hue. So it looked promising. The taste seemed weak, about the same as an American beer. As i got to the bottom of the bottle it had a bread taste which was disturbing, so the last 1/8 of the bottle would go down the drain. Another thing was it was filling, so i wouldn't suggest having it with a meal but it goes will with hot dogs. But on a cold day it warms you good. I like it as a stand-by beer, even though it has it's issues, overall it's not bad. Best served chilled on a chilly day.

2.55/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pilsner: Completely transparent body that just kind of tints everything on the other side of it a little jaundicey. Three fingers of glistening, porous, white foam that leaves sudsy lacing all over. A few slow, small bubbles of nucleation - like, I can literally count them.

Smells like sweet apple juice & just a little corn flake. Honestly not an offensive smell (if not particularly appetizing, either), but there's just a hint of "aftersmell" when I pull it away from my nose that varies from damp basement to gas station. Only happens once or twice, so I'm not giving it too much of a hit because of that.

Again, just kind of a weak apple juice taste with a very subdued/faky graininess. Bitterness in the finish, actually a little crisp.

Thin mouthfeel with a slight tingle & a small sugary sweetness.

This may come as a shock, but I've actually had worse beers than this. I can't say I *liked* it, but I sure didn't hate it either. The highs sure weren't high, but the lows weren't huge turn-offs. Just a pretty bland malt/apple soda, basically.

St. Pauli N. A. from St. Pauli Brauerei C.L. Wilh. Brandt Gmbh & Co.