Orange Blossom Wheat Beer - Papago Brewing

Papago Brewing visit their website
Arizona, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: bigbelcher on 07-19-2005

Our most popular beer. A light American Wheat Ale flavored with Mandarin Orange and Vanilla. Like a liquid old fashioned creamsicle.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 29
Reviews by gleemonger:

Poured a pretty, clear orange with little head. The lack of head is offset by how pretty the beer looks as light filters through the glass. Scents of orange, wheat malt, and a slight hint of both cracker and cream. Taste follows the nose, orange, wheat malt, cream and a cracker taste on the finish. Very nice, very refreshing and reminiscent of an orange cream popsicle. Mouthfeel was light bodied, with moderate carbonation, fitting a wheat beer. This is a pretty good wheat beer, not too heavy and with a nice, unique flavor. I'd have it again.

3.52/5  rDev -4.6%

Not a style I normally enjoy, but it was probably the most popular beer being poured on both trips so when in Rome...

The color: hazy straw, blonde wheat with about 1 finger of head that dissipated after a minute or so.

The flavor is definitely the most unique of all hef's I have enjoyed. There is no doubt about the orange zest in it, but there is this sweet vanilla like flavor as well which lingers. Others have said orange sherbert or marshmallow, I agree on both fronts, its something sweet and candy like almost.

worth a try if you are in the area and want to branch out a bit.

2.93/5  rDev -20.6%

Very bland and mild tasting. Little wheat flavor.

3.72/5  rDev +0.8%

Draught @ Papago
The beer from the tap is slightly bemused golden amber with a tall frothy head that is off white in color and the texture semi-creamy, the resultant lace a thick and clingy sheet upon the glass. Nose has a light hint of orange peal, brisk and clean, also a tad earthy start is sweet with a light grain profile and the top light in feel. Finish is light in acidity, the hops pleasant and the orange like sweetness lingers long, a great summer beer, that when well today in the desert heat.

4.12/5  rDev +11.7%

Had this beer at Papagos. It was served in a Weizen glass.

Beer is a clear orange golden color with a one inch creamy head that faded but left lots of lacing.

First thing that hits you is vanilla! Followed y orange and a bit of wheat on the nose. Reminded me of a cream sicle just like it was advertised.

Taste was a rush of orange and vanilla with a nice malty wheaty finish with just a slight sweet finish.

Mouthfeel was vey smooth and light.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer even though I am not a big fruit beer fan. However I can see this being a real thirst quencher in the hot AZ sun although it was 45 degrees out when I sampled this one. Definitely a beer you need to try as it is unique among craft beers. Way to go Papago!

2.43/5  rDev -34.1%

Can said ABV is 5%. Looks a bit like sparkling apple cider, clear. Fruity aroma, but not the yeast kind of fruity. Taste is where I lost interest, more vanilla than orange, almost no wheat beer flavors that I can detect, more the 'malt beverage' approach of zima or wine coolers. Glad I just bought a couple cans to try.

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Sickly sweet. If you like orange cream pops this is for you.

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap into a pilsner glass. I must confess, this was my wife's and I sampled hers. A pale orange color with a finger of white head. The aroma was of orange and hinted of something else I couldn't quite place, possibly marshmellow, but it was very pleasant. I think the aroma was the best part. It tasted just like I expected--an orange wheaty beer, not very complex, and the mouthfeel was unusually fizzy. If you like this sort of beer, you might find this very drinkable, but it's not quite my style.

4.22/5  rDev +14.4%

on tap at papago.

This pours a hazy golden color with a white head that has pretty large bubbles.

It smells of wheat and orange zest. It is not overpowering in any aspect though, just refreshing smelling.

It has a wheat background almost typical for a wheat beer, but that is where it stops comparing to most other traditional wheat beers. Mid palate it takes on an orange zest and vanilla flavor. It has an almost creamsicle flavor to it. It is not heavy and overly sweet though.

It is well carbonated and therefore has a light and refreshing mouthfeel to it, perfect for the 110 degree arizona heat

Wheat beers are not my top choice of styles, but this one is way easy to drink, and I would have no problems sessioning this one all night.

3.66/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

6 pack purchased from Bevmo on 4/1.

4.02/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: This beer is a nice,clear golden color with a bright, white head that fades quickly.

Smell: This is one of the reasons I buy this beer. It reminds me a little of childhood and having orange push ups. Lots of orange in the noise followed by some nice toasty, malt.

Taste: This stuff goes down way too easy in the az sun. I like wheat beers in the summer and this one is at the top of my local list along with Four Peaks Hop Knot. I love the nice orange flavor followed by warm,toasty, biscuit flavors. No bitterness here just easy drinking oranges galore. A little vanilla on the end and definitely a little sweet which i like.

Mouthfeel: Very mellow carbonation which works ok although I wish it did have a little more mouth feel to it. It does deliver the orange flavors quite well though.

Overall: This is one easy drinking summer brew. I haven't had it for a while so on the way home after sweating my butt off in the 112 degree heat we had today stopped in to Papago to grab a growler. This one is a classic that I have had plenty of times and will continue to enjoy.

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

I am not a big fan of fruit beers but in the Papago tradition they at least made a good one. Talking to the staff they said they decided to create this beer because they could no longer get Grants Mandarin Orange beer that I guess what pretty popular in the valley of the sun.

The beer isn't quite a clone of the Grant's Mandarin Orange. It is more like a creamsicle flavor with Orange and Vanilla flavor. I will say this. I did see a number of people drinking it and they all said it was a great refreshing summer beer. It was served with a slice of orange which was a nice touch but surprising since the staff knows their beers and only puts a lemon with a hefeweiss if you ask for it. It is apparantly wheat based like the Grant's which probably accounts for it being so refreshing.

2.58/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer has promise as it pours. A slight orange pale color, head is light and soapy.
It starts to go down hill on the aroma. Pungent and sticky orange. It's like an old lady that wears too much perfume. Taste has the same thing in the back end. Feels thick and sticky, but light for some reason. Couldn't get through a half glass

3.87/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a day-old growler into a tulip. Orange Blossom is far and away Papago’s most popular beer, flavored with mandarin orange and vanilla.

The color of fresh peaches. Ambrosia-like, it glistens with incredible clarity. A shock-white, one-finger-tall head fizzles away after just a few seconds, leaving behind tiny freckles of lace.

Wheat is the main feature of the nose, and it’s met with a blend of sugary spice that almost reminds me of pumpkin pie. The orange, rather than showing off citrusy zest, is deeper and sweeter, like an Orange Julius.

The flavor is a tale in two parts: the first showcasing the sweet and mildly zesty kick of mandarin oranges, those little guys you’d find in a salad. The perfect touch of vanilla syrup blends with the orange to make this taste for all accounts like a creamsicle. After the swallow, notes of wheat emerge before a super-clean finish.

Moderate carbonation prickles the tongue as I roll the medium-light body around. It fizzes up only slightly, and the finish is so dry and clean I keep going back for another sip, thinking I forgot to swallow the one before it.

American wheat ales can easily be ruined by heavy-handed additions of flavor, which is what makes Orange Blossom so great. Subtle, drinkable, interesting.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Haze is light in this golden orange brew, but the bubbles are pretty active, holding up a white head. Sweet nose of candied orange slices - leaning towards a dusty powdered sugar rather than granular. That same vanillin kind of sweetness translates to the flavor, but while the beer is definitely sweet overall, it's not overbearing and obnoxious. Drinkably light, with a nod towards a fuller, carbonation-massage mouthfeel.

This beer reminds me of Pez, and also the aroma surrounding The Body Shop at the mall (or Bath and Body Works on certain days). One-dimension, but that's what you get when you get something called Orange Blossom. At least it's done correctly.

3.21/5  rDev -13%

On-tap at Papago Brewing and garnished with an orange slice upon serving (but discarded for drinking), on to the beer:

As the name suggests, this has an orangish color to it, but with some tint of blonde. It has a filtered look to it, has sticky suds and good retention on top. The aroma is a let down of what I was expecting, it has a coarse grainy aroma with a touch of ornage...or is it from the orange slice? Taste different from what I was expecting too. It's a bit sweet with a faded orange flavor, but corn flakes were the most common food item I was thinking abut while I drank this. Soft and light in the mouth, it actually is kind of refreshing.

This was far and away the most commonly pulled tap at Papago during my visit. One or two would work for me, though I can't say I'm overly impressed here.

3.27/5  rDev -11.4%

Review from notes from recent trip & stay in Chandler AZ.

Presentation was a large Weizen Glass with a large fresh orange slice. Reminded me of the "Shocktop" logo and tap handle actually.

Pours is a slightly hazy, light orange/dark off yellow color with a little over an inch of head that settled, but retained well. Not as cloudy as I would have expected, such as with a blue moon for example.

The Aromas are strongly of sweet orange, citrus and a hint of hops. Not too complex.

The taste is quite strong in orange flavor, with some citrus and hop flavor for balance, but could have use a bit more hops to balance out the sweetness from the malt for me. Alcohol is fairly light, or at least well hidden.

The mount feel had lighter carbonation then expected for the style, a bit thinner bodied in fact. Though quite a few of the beers this day were, not sure if it was a CO2 issue, or intended.

Overall, on a hot day, common in AZ (though on this day it was very cold) it is a refreshing beer, though a bit sweet for me. Seems that they might be adding an actual orange syrup concentrate for how strong the orange smell, and taste lingers, even on an empty glass. Would not consider this a true hefe weizen, but more of a orange flavored wheat pilsner, (if there is such a thing) but it was still in no way a bad beer, just not quite for what I look for in the style.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Not five minutes after walking into Papago, here I was ordering the 'mandarin hefeweizen' (what one may have prematurely dubbed a 'rookie mistake'). It was a long afternoon traveling from Portland to the Phoenix area and I heard this was a popular choice - why not? Served in a tall weizen glass, garnished with a juicy orange wedge.

A: Copper hue that's mildly turbid, not much carbonation and a dull, almost lifeless whitish head, maybe 1/2-finger at best. Leaves a few speckled bits of lace; there are almost more bits of gooey orange pulp on the OUTSIDE of the glass. Not impressive, but color is pretty nice.

S: Big orange sweetness, a liqueur-like orange soda aroma. best way I can describe is an Orange Julius, maybe orange sherbet. Whatever wheat/weizen bread fails to compete with the fruit.

T: Hmmm, curious enough that I actually kinda like it. Yes it's a little too sugar-sweet (again, something non-fruit added?) but develops into something like a glazed orange scone, enough bread and a little wheat/spice bittering. Certainly nowhere near a 'hefeweizen' in the truest sense, but pretty tasty without totally disavowing my manhood.

S: Slippery, oily. Want of carbonation gives this a slickness that it really shouldn't have. Some sticking grain/malt and just a little tart/rind bite in the finish to reigh in some of the sweetness. Pretty light body, about average for a weizen.

D: Tough call. Found this refreshing, maybe even quenching. Would I have it again? Sure, why not. It's a fruit bomb, a sugary-sweet dessert-type beer, but it's not bad either. Rumor has it this will be bottled soon, reason for the local masses pounding these pints to rejoice. Certainly worth a try.

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

I loved this beer...and then I liked it.

A: 4.5...Hazy, golden beer. Fluffy white-creamy head. Plenty of carbonation. Very nice lacing.

S: 4...Orange cake. Orange...but not oranges...combining with the breadiness of the malt.

T: 4...Upfront is that orange cake. On the back is 100% creamsicle. There is a very apparent vanilla flavor with the orange here and the upfront malt is gone.

M: 4.5...Just damn good. Creamy head (that retains) with a smooth and bubbly beer.

D: 2.5...At first I loved it...but as one who prefers IPA's I cannot see myself having more than one of these. Granted it was a .5L glass...I still found myself wanting a different beer at the end.

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

Reviewed 12/31/2005 (Growler from the brewery):

Pours a cloudy, orange yellow color body, with a big white head, good lacing. Has the aroma of an orange soda, fizzy, very strong orange, overpowering any other flavor. Orange malty flavor, slightly malty, slight vanilla aftertaste. Light body, fizzy.

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

Good specialty beer. If looking for something of a departure of the normal beer, this is it.

Beer has a little mandarin orange in suspension. This may not be expected.

A little sweet for multiple beers. But one, maybe two is good. Great woman beer and a good conversation piece.

3.58/5  rDev -3%

This beer sits a hazy orange-amber color with a frothy, pale, off-white head. The aroma is all sweet mandarin orange, nothing else is perceptible. Having said that it is actually not so strong that it is off-putting.

The taste is lightly sweet; just enough to accentuate the sweet orange flavor, but not make it too cloying. This has a fullness that I was not expecting, not so much that this beer is not quaffable, because it is, quite. The combination of orange, sweetness and mouth-coating light fullness make this quite quaffable. The drawback to this is that it is a bit too one dimensional, despite the drinkability.

2.92/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to give this a bid when I was at Papago. Just too curious not to.

Appearance- Starts nicely. A nice cloudy gold/straw color with a good head on it.

Smell- Lots of orange, for sure. A tiny hint of spice, but dominated by the mandarin. There's some yeast backing it up. I mean, it's supposed to be a mandarin beer, and the smell is what one would expect.

Taste- Wow. Um. Yikes. It's basically like you took a hefe and stirred a creamsicle into it. Syrupy sweet. Like crazy sweet. The spice/yeast doesn't stand a chance. Taking a bite from the actual orange slice was a relief because of the tart citrusness. If they could tone it down it'd be a good beer.

Mouthfeel- A little thick and syrupy. Didn't want it to get too warm or it'd get messy.

Drinkability- One and done. I could finish it, but I'll never have another. Cloying doesn't even come close.

There really is a good beer in there. If they could get some tartness from the citrus, or something, it'd be a nice refreshing beer. Instead it's like orange syrup mixed with beer. Overwhelming. Even my waiter warned me that their beers were too sweet. I should have listened.

Based on the scores, people really like this, and I guess I'm just a curmudgeon regarding the style. To me, it seemed like a melted creamsicle with some hops thrown in - just awful. But probably exactly what it was intended to be.

3.64/5  rDev -1.4%

Went to Old Chicago after a round of golf yesterday and was surprised to hear they had a PBC brew so I had to give it a shot.

This beer appeared as a cloudy golden orange color with no head. The aroma was very pleasant, sweet oranges and nothing much else. The taste was lightly sweet of oranges, which blended nicely with the malts and hops - very well balanced. Mouthfeel was fuller than what I thought it would be. Overall drinkability was OK. This beer was enjoyable but this is one that you might have one or two pints and then move on to something else.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »