Elsie's Irish Coffee Milk Stout - Papago Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Papago Brewing visit their website
Arizona, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.50% ABV

An Irish car bomb in a glass. A rich milk stout with 1 pound of Irish Cream flavored coffee beans added per barrel.

(Beer added by: Stoneman78 on 06-25-2008)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

Biz trip to Scottsdale gave me the chance to drop in the little strip mall joint for this glass of heaven. Reminded me of an adult version of the little drug store milkshake experience I remember as a kid. Not ready to host a kegger with this, but an experience I'll never forget. Worth the visit whenever you're in the area.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Below is my first review, Papago recently had someone else start making their beer for them and this is the first one they put on tap. The beer is way different from the previous version. Gone is the sourness and the coffee flavor is simply huge now. The strongest coffee flavor I have had in any beer. I tried New Belgiums Gidde Up that has espresso in it after drinking this beer and the Gidde Up had no discernable coffee flavor whatsoever because the Elsies wiped out my taste buds. If you like a good cup of strong joe, try this beer.
---
A really nice combination of coffee in a Milk Stout. Really full bodied, huge coffee aroma, some hints of vanilla and baileys Irish Cream. A slight sourness but not too bad. Very black, tan head. Not a lot of alcohol. Lots of different flavor components to this beer. Another nice job by the owner Ron. The beer is named after his dog so you know he likes it.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at Papago. Appearance is nice - dark stout with nice small head.

And then I smelled it.

Holy Shit! This is one of, if not THE, best smelling beers ever. OK, sure, it doesn't smell like beer, but it's 100% Irish coffee and a nice coffee roast and sweet cream. Wow. This is SO amazing, I could smell it all day. Picked up a growler based on the smell alone ;)

Taste is exceptional as well. No stout characteristics come through the coffee and Irish cream tastes, though. A tad more malt in the mouth will make this an A+

Mouth is good. A bit thin, but it works for this style.

Drinkability is amazing. No one is to even look at me growlers at Thanksgiving tomorrow. It's mine I tell you, mine, and I will drink it until my heart is content :)

Nice job Papago peeps!

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a standard milk stout, plenty dark, but not ris pitch black. Aroma is as good as it gets. Uber coffee choco, ever so rounded by lactose sugar and creamy feel.

What a meld between ample coffee aromas paired with the smoothest mocha feel of the chocolate and cream. This is heavenly. I was here earlier, hopped around tops, papago, 4peaks, and have come back now again, same night.

Seriously, some guy out there prolly gets to kick it at home watchn his team in HD, his arm around that cute curly haired brunette red lipstick n sexily loud n tight bodied waitress from here, drinkin growlers of this shit.

Now THAT is a lukcy basardt!!!

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at O'Brien's

Appearance is a dense dark brown hue, a small amount of tan bubbles on the surface, watery lacing

Smell is super sweet molasses, coffee, dark fruits, caramel malts, brown sugar, hint of booze

Taste is dominated by sweet coffee malts, opens up to dark fruits, molasses, hints of grassy hops, dark bittersweet chocolate, finishes bitter

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, super creamy and velvety texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is high, a nice sweet stout with good malts/hop balance and taste profile, nice punch of flavors compared to standard stouts; from the internet: "This is named after Ron Kloth's dog. It is a milk stout made with Irish cream flavoured coffee beans."

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured a deep brown with a nice brown head. Nose is dry and sweet, roasted malts, coffee. Taste is roasted malts, coffee with such a good creaminess. Mouthfeel is nice, creamy and ABV is on the lighter side. Good beer. Excellent blend and so smooth. My growler from previous trip did not do it justice. The fresher the better on this one for sure! Excellent brew.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

This is one of my favorite beers when I visit Papago Brewing. I always hope it is on tap when I go.

A - Jet black, with little noticeable head on it.

S - Unbelievable! Irish Cream Coffee aroma fills your nose.

T - As advertised. Rich coffee, with a hint of Irish Cream. Some dark chocolates in there as well.

M - Seems a little thin, but does not distract.

O - Great beer! I wish they would Nitro it sometime though. That would be amazing! Worth the try if you are in the pub.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Trying to update my ticking stats, and even though I've ticked many AZ beers, looks like I was missing any reviews on this site. Busted out my notes for this one to fix that. Consumed on tap in 2009. This stout was really, really good. Nice surprise.

Darkest brown in color with a small tan head and some lacing.

Aroma is chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and roast.

Flavor is amazing and fairly sweet with coffee, Irish cream, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon or rum.

Palate is smooth and creamy with medium-full body.

Excellent beer! Tiiick!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a growler from papago into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Pours black as the night. A mocha head froths but quickly dissipates, leaving just a thin ring.

Like Bailey's? Then you'll like this smell. Dark roasted coffee and sweet Irish cream. Also a hint of sourdough breadiness.

The taste follows through with the smell. Deep roasted malts with notes of coffee and Irish cream. It's like an Irish car bomb in my mouth!

The mouthfeel is the only downside to this beer for me. Almost no carbonation, and a much thinner mouthfeel than I want from a milk stout.

The drinkability of this beer is dangerous. I downed this pint in about five minutes, and I could probably finish off this growler if I had a little less self-restraint. My favorite milk stout, and my favorite from Papago by far.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »