LA-31 Boucanèe - Bayou Teche Brewery

LA-31 BoucanèeLA-31 Boucanèe

Bayou Teche Brewery visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.50% ABV

LA-31 Boucanèe is our acknowledgment of the importance of the wild cherry tree to south Louisiana. Using cherry-wood smoked wheat we craft a surprisingly delicious and unique ale.

(Beer added by: utah44 on 03-21-2011)
Reviews by teromous:
3.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A: It's hard to compare the appearance to other smoked beers, because they can vary. By the standards of any other beer, this one has no head at all, and is very hazy. The color is dark shade of amber.

S: The scent is a bit odd. It has a mellow wood-like smell to it, but I can't place it. It doesn't smell like oak. I can definitely pick up a smoky scent...like a smoked jerky.

T: Wow, this is a really smoky beer! It really has more than just a "smoked grain" flavor to it. It has more of an actual smoke flavor...like smoked sausage. This is like smoked sausage in a bottle. I've had other smoked beers before, but none like this. I think the originality really warrants a 5.0, but there seems to be something lacking in the back...like some background bitterness or something to add to the body. Really, though this is cool. I don't pick up any wheat at all.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty thin. It's fairly robust at first, and seems to hold its own about 1/3 way through the drink. It doesn't linger in the mouth much though.

O: Overall, I scored it average because it's a really cool beer, but it could be better.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

3.71/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you shan8454 for this one in trade.

Appearance: Reddish amber with a thin off white head that lingered. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet and smokey, with a meat like smoky smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of sweet citrus and hops with a strong but pleasant barbeque like smokey flavor.

Overall: Great brew! I would have this one again for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -0.3%

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

3.75/5  rDev +15%

3.48/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know about this beer. I have had one bottle of this and don't know if it's just an infected batch I got but I get a lot of Funky smell and taste from it. Tastes like it has lacto bacteria in it to me. I have had some smoked beers before, but this flavor is not the smoked variety to me. Its not bad but not what I was expecting.

3.2/5  rDev -1.8%

A big thanks to Evan (optimator13) for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a copper penny color into a tulip. Very little head is achieved and there is literally zero lacing.

Smell – Slight smoke, a hint of sweetness, and pale malts.

Taste – Similar to the aroma – mainly smoke. A hint of hops and fruity sweetness but mainly smoke.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lighter carbonation, crisp.

Overall – I say this to myself with each smoked beer I try…I just can’t seem to get into/appreciate this style. This one was a bit easier for me to handle since it was a lighter style beer, but I still can’t seem to enjoy it.

2.9/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a copper color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit unusual, some smoke. Taste is smokey, wood, meats, a good bit of band aide flavor at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall a unique beer to try, but one I won't need to drink again.

1.25/5  rDev -61.7%

4.25/5  rDev +30.4%

3.05/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Medium brown/amber. Crystal clear with a little tan head on top.

S: Sweet, smokey, and perhaps a little corn in there as well. Interesting.

T: Smokey, with a light bready flavor. Some toasty notes, with a little oatmeal. Something a little off for me in this one, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The smoke flavor is a touch on the cloying for my tastes.

M: Medium in feel, carbonation is fine and somewhat low. Finishes pretty clean.

O: Overall interesting, but not something I am in love with. The smoke feels a touch sweet, and it seems like after the smoke there isn't much else to it. Not bad, just not interesting.

3.3/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Amber/orange in color, upper clarity, light off white head.

S - Smoke aroma is light, but pleasant. There's a bit of sweetness along with a bit of fruitiness and maltiness.

T - Nice level of smoke, some tangy hops, light maltiness and some breadiness.

M - Slightly crisp, and lighter in body.

O - Not really impressed, though I'm looking forward to trying this when I see bottles around. Hopefully the smokiness is more pronounced and the wheat characters are more noticeable.

3.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bayou Teche Boucanee’ has a very thick, foamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, copper appearance, and slight lacing left behind. The aroma is of an overriding smokiness with an undercurrent of sweetness and wheat bread. Taste is of wood smoke, caramel, sugar, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Bayou Teche Boucanee’ finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and semi-dry. Overall, it’s very smoky and not like a wheat beer. I think it is good and interesting.

RJT

1.45/5  rDev -55.5%

Just picked up a couple of Bayou Teche’s Boucanee Smoked Wheat Ales and im grateful I did not pick up more than two. I poured the beer down the drain as fast as possible. Unfortunately, the horrid after taste in my mouth did not go away as quickly. As a home brewer I have made some pretty questionable batches in my time, but nothing I have messed up has tasted anywhere near as bad as this beer. If Beef Jerky and Budweiser hybrid brew is something that sounds tasty to you, perhaps your palate will enjoy this. I’m amazed it has such a high rating.

P.S If any home brewers out there are interested in making a clone of this beer, here is a 5 gal recipe.

8lbs of American 2-row pale malt
1.0 oz Cascade 60min
.50 oz Horizon 30min
.25 oz Horizon 15min
4lbs. of Slim Jims from your local gas station, you choose the level of spiciness!

Let Ferment for 10 days or until primary fermentation is complete.

Before racking into secondary puree 4lbs of Slim Jims and a cup of water in a blender until all the chunks are gone. Then combine beer and Slim Jim juice into secondary and let sit for 14 days.

Serve at 48F. Pour into a pint glass and garnish with a Slim Jim!!!

Enjoy!!!! Oooo yehhh!

3.49/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear light amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that quickly died down, leaving wisps of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of smoked cherrywood are present in the nose, although there is a lot of iodine so the smell mostly resembles Band-Aids.
T: Just like the smell, the taste has lots of Band-Aid flavors along with notes of smoke. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink hived its wheat base, but you really need to have grown accustomed to the Band-Aid aromas and flavors to appreciate it.

2.97/5  rDev -8.9%

3.15/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Off-white head, low retention on a clear, copper body. Aroma includes caramel sweetness, some butterscotch and maybe a slight hint of smoke. Taste showcases the smoke much more than the aroma, again some caramel sweetness and some of the wheat flavors shine through. Interesting mix of flavors, not bad at all.

LA-31 Boucanèe from Bayou Teche Brewery