LA-31 Boucanèe - Bayou Teche Brewery

Bayou Teche Brewery visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: utah44 on 03-21-2011

LA-31 Boucanèe is our acknowledgment of the importance of the wild cherry tree to south Louisiana. Using cherry-wood smoked wheat we craft a surprisingly delicious and unique ale.
to view more.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 32
Reviews by teromous:
3.39/5  rDev +3%

A: It's hard to compare the appearance to other smoked beers, because they can vary. By the standards of any other beer, this one has no head at all, and is very hazy. The color is dark shade of amber.

S: The scent is a bit odd. It has a mellow wood-like smell to it, but I can't place it. It doesn't smell like oak. I can definitely pick up a smoky scent...like a smoked jerky.

T: Wow, this is a really smoky beer! It really has more than just a "smoked grain" flavor to it. It has more of an actual smoke flavor...like smoked sausage. This is like smoked sausage in a bottle. I've had other smoked beers before, but none like this. I think the originality really warrants a 5.0, but there seems to be something lacking in the back...like some background bitterness or something to add to the body. Really, though this is cool. I don't pick up any wheat at all.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty thin. It's fairly robust at first, and seems to hold its own about 1/3 way through the drink. It doesn't linger in the mouth much though.

O: Overall, I scored it average because it's a really cool beer, but it could be better.

4.29/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Taste is sweet smoked malt and light caramel. Really tastes like a German rauchbier. Kind of comparable to a lighter smoked marzen. A really solid beer and a favorite in the style.

3.71/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you shan8454 for this one in trade.

Appearance: Reddish amber with a thin off white head that lingered. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Sweet and smokey, with a meat like smoky smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of sweet citrus and hops with a strong but pleasant barbeque like smokey flavor.

Overall: Great brew! I would have this one again for sure.

3.47/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know about this beer. I have had one bottle of this and don't know if it's just an infected batch I got but I get a lot of Funky smell and taste from it. Tastes like it has lacto bacteria in it to me. I have had some smoked beers before, but this flavor is not the smoked variety to me. Its not bad but not what I was expecting.

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

A big thanks to Evan (optimator13) for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a copper penny color into a tulip. Very little head is achieved and there is literally zero lacing.

Smell – Slight smoke, a hint of sweetness, and pale malts.

Taste – Similar to the aroma – mainly smoke. A hint of hops and fruity sweetness but mainly smoke.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lighter carbonation, crisp.

Overall – I say this to myself with each smoked beer I try…I just can’t seem to get into/appreciate this style. This one was a bit easier for me to handle since it was a lighter style beer, but I still can’t seem to enjoy it.

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a copper color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit unusual, some smoke. Taste is smokey, wood, meats, a good bit of band aide flavor at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall a unique beer to try, but one I won't need to drink again.

3.06/5  rDev -7%

A: Medium brown/amber. Crystal clear with a little tan head on top.

S: Sweet, smokey, and perhaps a little corn in there as well. Interesting.

T: Smokey, with a light bready flavor. Some toasty notes, with a little oatmeal. Something a little off for me in this one, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The smoke flavor is a touch on the cloying for my tastes.

M: Medium in feel, carbonation is fine and somewhat low. Finishes pretty clean.

O: Overall interesting, but not something I am in love with. The smoke feels a touch sweet, and it seems like after the smoke there isn't much else to it. Not bad, just not interesting.

3.27/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Amber/orange in color, upper clarity, light off white head.

S - Smoke aroma is light, but pleasant. There's a bit of sweetness along with a bit of fruitiness and maltiness.

T - Nice level of smoke, some tangy hops, light maltiness and some breadiness.

M - Slightly crisp, and lighter in body.

O - Not really impressed, though I'm looking forward to trying this when I see bottles around. Hopefully the smokiness is more pronounced and the wheat characters are more noticeable.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bayou Teche Boucanee’ has a very thick, foamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, copper appearance, and slight lacing left behind. The aroma is of an overriding smokiness with an undercurrent of sweetness and wheat bread. Taste is of wood smoke, caramel, sugar, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Bayou Teche Boucanee’ finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and semi-dry. Overall, it’s very smoky and not like a wheat beer. I think it is good and interesting.

RJT

1.48/5  rDev -55%

Just picked up a couple of Bayou Teche’s Boucanee Smoked Wheat Ales and im grateful I did not pick up more than two. I poured the beer down the drain as fast as possible. Unfortunately, the horrid after taste in my mouth did not go away as quickly. As a home brewer I have made some pretty questionable batches in my time, but nothing I have messed up has tasted anywhere near as bad as this beer. If Beef Jerky and Budweiser hybrid brew is something that sounds tasty to you, perhaps your palate will enjoy this. I’m amazed it has such a high rating.

P.S If any home brewers out there are interested in making a clone of this beer, here is a 5 gal recipe.

8lbs of American 2-row pale malt
1.0 oz Cascade 60min
.50 oz Horizon 30min
.25 oz Horizon 15min
4lbs. of Slim Jims from your local gas station, you choose the level of spiciness!

Let Ferment for 10 days or until primary fermentation is complete.

Before racking into secondary puree 4lbs of Slim Jims and a cup of water in a blender until all the chunks are gone. Then combine beer and Slim Jim juice into secondary and let sit for 14 days.

Serve at 48F. Pour into a pint glass and garnish with a Slim Jim!!!

Enjoy!!!! Oooo yehhh!

3.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear light amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that quickly died down, leaving wisps of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of smoked cherrywood are present in the nose, although there is a lot of iodine so the smell mostly resembles Band-Aids.
T: Just like the smell, the taste has lots of Band-Aid flavors along with notes of smoke. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink hived its wheat base, but you really need to have grown accustomed to the Band-Aid aromas and flavors to appreciate it.

3.14/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Off-white head, low retention on a clear, copper body. Aroma includes caramel sweetness, some butterscotch and maybe a slight hint of smoke. Taste showcases the smoke much more than the aroma, again some caramel sweetness and some of the wheat flavors shine through. Interesting mix of flavors, not bad at all.

3.54/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured into a pint glass a copper orange with excellent clarity. Good looking beer, at least.

The smell is sweet, and faintly of apricots and figs, as well a a sharply roasted note.

There is an odd astringent flavor present. I don't really know what to make of it. The taste is overall fairly sweet and malty.

The overall texture is on the thick side of medium-bodied, with a lasting astringent quality. Not a bad beer, but I'm not crazy about it.

2.97/5  rDev -9.7%

On the initial pour, some nice pomegranate and sour cherry aromas came through. The smokiness was noticeable, but by no means overpowering. Small, white head that quickly went away. The beer has a light caramel color to it.

The smoke flavor was all but non-existent when I drank it. The beer has a sour taste (initial and afterward) that I didn't find too off-putting but rather refreshing: lemon zest and tart cherries. Decent and interesting, but I won't be hunting it down and hoarding all bottles.

I had received this from optimator13 a while back and set it aside until an appropriate time. Today being Christmas and New Beer Sunday to boot coupled with a smoked turkey breast as dinner seems to mark it as the right time.

I got a brief finger of tawny head from my pour, but it disappeared like it had something better to do. Color was a lightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was quite smoky, overlaying a slight sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium and while it was smoky in the mouth, it was nowhere near as overpowering as some made it out to be. Finish was likewise smoky-sweet, kind of like some types of barbecue that I have had in my travels. It was not bad, but it was not earth-shattering, either.

3.67/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

An orangey copper body with a creamy tan head. Great retention, nice lacing.
Smells like a Belgian dubbel for some reason-- I rather like it. The smoked notes add a little complexity that comes across with some nice dark fruit notes. Very odd profile from a beer this light in color.

The finish adds an unwelcome earthiness and a touch of acrid smokiness. I prefer it sweet and fruity, and the finish dries out too much.

Body is a bit overcarbonated.

Overall-- it's weird to get the smoke flavor without the stout profile.
After reading the description, I thought I'd hate this beer-- but I was pleasantly surprised (at least at first).

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in a stemless globe.

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this bottle!

Gotta love the random smoked tick, eh? It pours a tawny amber topped by a finger of short-lived dirty tan foam. The nose comprises buttery toffee and hickory smoke, with only a twinge of woody greens in the middleground between them. The taste holds notes of light hickory smoke, husky wheat, light clove, and toasted caramel. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and an oily-ish feel. Overall, a generally enjoyable smoked beer, but one that really doesn't stand out from the others in any real way. Tasty, though...

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

i see I'm not the only one to get this beer from optimator13. It's good beer, thanks man!

Light peachy-amber colored, clear, lots of nice tiny rising bubbles, head and lace were nothing special, but it's not bad looking at all.

Plenty of smoke smell and a little bit of wheat and malt.

Tastes pretty good, although smoke is most of what you're getting. Wheat and malts accent, much like the smell. Just a touch of fruitiness finishes it off.

Feel wise I like this one, it's got a nice smoky aftertaste, a light body, pretty smooth and ample carbonation, and it's easy to drink.

Overall it's not bad at all. Light for a smoked beer but very drinkable.

3.15/5  rDev -4.3%

So they bottled this beer, and I can review it in the comfort my own home. So what I got is a yellow to orange color. I definitely smelled smoke but not the wood smoke I actually wanted, it just lacks the gameness I get out of most smoke beers. The head dissipated as fast I poured it. The taste was very light smoke, with a slight wheat fruitiness. Overall It was a average to good beer that I wouldn't care to buy a six pack of.

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

At 2015 Suwanee Craft beer Fest

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours copper color in pint glass.

HInts of malt but good bit of smokiness. Also a Band-Aid type character to it.

Taste is nutty and smoky. Band-Aid taste is present too. Just not that appealing.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Average carbonation.

Overall this was o.k.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

thanks to exiled for this as an extra! 12oz bottle best by 10-23-11.

a: nice copper color, half finger head got out of town rather quickly.

s: smoke, smoke and more smoke. a little sweetness, maybe citrus in the background.

t: smokey yet sweet. mostly smoke hiding other flavors.

m: medium to thin body. not much carbonation. has a clean finish.

o: not a bad smoke beer, when ever i get one i try to pair it with bbq chicken.

3.41/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise glass. Best by 13 February 2012.

A: Pours with a light finger of a head and a heavy amount of carbonation. Lots and lots of bubbles in this cloudy light-brown beer that is barely transparent.

S: Surprisingly fruity! Initially, I like it, but the more I smell the more it weirds me out. Bright black cherry or blue raspberry sorts of smells. Not much else.

T: After a long and tumultuous internal discussion centering around my first several sips, I've decided to like it. Smoke is virtually absent, but a fruit that is most akin to cranberries dominates the taste. Sweetish (with a bit of tang) until the very end, which dries up a little bit. Fruity and interesting.

M: Lightly carbonated, faintly smooth.

O: An intriguing beer, but not altogether an obviously good one. Still, I liked it, despite the misleading moniker. Tentatively recommended.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz bottle poured into sniffer glass.
A: pours a deep copper, half finger white head, little to no lacing
S: smoked wood, sweetness, Belgian yeast, sourness like from oak, cherry
M: medium, kinda dense
T: starts of kinda sour, smokeyness, wheat, sweetness, finishing up with a dry end.
O: kinda ok, nothing special

3.07/5  rDev -6.7%

As someone who has grown to really enjoy a good 'smoked' beer, this was one I really looked forward to grabbing while on a recent trip to NOLA. Tried one while there, and three more returned home to Oregon with me; this is the second. Poured to a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle (no discernible date, although a vague '12' and, possibly, a '3' are on the right side of the label - it's fresh I'm betting...).

Brewed & Bottled at Lazy Magnolia's (Kiln, MS) brewery.

A: Hazy amber/chestnut with very little carbonation... just a few lazy bubbles rising without much urgency. Starts with a fairly impressive finger of khaki fizz, but it disappears within a couple minutes to a scant crescent of film.

S: Polite smokiness, toasty and somewhat sweet. Has a 'cured meat' quality that hints at Bamberg Rauchbier, but doesn't quite have the depth. Moments of orange blossom; just that bit of citrus offsets the smoke nicely.

T: Sweet and smoky, has a definite 'barbeque' flair with malty grains and a 'charred wood' backing. Cereal grains, somewhat nutty. All in all, benign flavors, nothing assertive.

M: Smooth, a little slick, not well-carbonated. Light-medium body and mildly smoky but generally forgettable aftertaste.

O: The Bayou Teche Pale is pretty phenomenal and I'd hoped for something similar from this. As such, it's a fairly benign beer hinting at smokiness and malt sweetness but without a great deal of body. It's just 'OK'... and that equals 'disappointing' to me. Drinkable, but certainly not crave-worthy. Sessionable strength is very nice, however; I'd bet this compliments spicy foods well.

to view more.