LA-31 Boucanèe - Bayou Teche Brewery

Bayou Teche Brewery visit their website
Louisiana, United States

Smoked Beer |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: utah44 on 03-21-2011

LA-31 Boucanèe is our acknowledgment of the importance of the wild cherry tree to south Louisiana. Using cherry-wood smoked wheat we craft a surprisingly delicious and unique ale.
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.48/5  rDev -55.6%

Just picked up a couple of Bayou Teche’s Boucanee Smoked Wheat Ales and im grateful I did not pick up more than two. I poured the beer down the drain as fast as possible. Unfortunately, the horrid after taste in my mouth did not go away as quickly. As a home brewer I have made some pretty questionable batches in my time, but nothing I have messed up has tasted anywhere near as bad as this beer. If Beef Jerky and Budweiser hybrid brew is something that sounds tasty to you, perhaps your palate will enjoy this. I’m amazed it has such a high rating.

P.S If any home brewers out there are interested in making a clone of this beer, here is a 5 gal recipe.

8lbs of American 2-row pale malt
1.0 oz Cascade 60min
.50 oz Horizon 30min
.25 oz Horizon 15min
4lbs. of Slim Jims from your local gas station, you choose the level of spiciness!

Let Ferment for 10 days or until primary fermentation is complete.

Before racking into secondary puree 4lbs of Slim Jims and a cup of water in a blender until all the chunks are gone. Then combine beer and Slim Jim juice into secondary and let sit for 14 days.

Serve at 48F. Pour into a pint glass and garnish with a Slim Jim!!!

Enjoy!!!! Oooo yehhh! (1,201 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle poured into sniffer glass.
A: pours a deep copper, half finger white head, little to no lacing
S: smoked wood, sweetness, Belgian yeast, sourness like from oak, cherry
M: medium, kinda dense
T: starts of kinda sour, smokeyness, wheat, sweetness, finishing up with a dry end.
O: kinda ok, nothing special (316 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a copper color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit unusual, some smoke. Taste is smokey, wood, meats, a good bit of band aide flavor at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall a unique beer to try, but one I won't need to drink again. (298 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -10.8%

On the initial pour, some nice pomegranate and sour cherry aromas came through. The smokiness was noticeable, but by no means overpowering. Small, white head that quickly went away. The beer has a light caramel color to it.

The smoke flavor was all but non-existent when I drank it. The beer has a sour taste (initial and afterward) that I didn't find too off-putting but rather refreshing: lemon zest and tart cherries. Decent and interesting, but I won't be hunting it down and hoarding all bottles. (502 characters)

I had received this from optimator13 a while back and set it aside until an appropriate time. Today being Christmas and New Beer Sunday to boot coupled with a smoked turkey breast as dinner seems to mark it as the right time.

I got a brief finger of tawny head from my pour, but it disappeared like it had something better to do. Color was a lightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose was quite smoky, overlaying a slight sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium and while it was smoky in the mouth, it was nowhere near as overpowering as some made it out to be. Finish was likewise smoky-sweet, kind of like some types of barbecue that I have had in my travels. It was not bad, but it was not earth-shattering, either. (702 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Medium brown/amber. Crystal clear with a little tan head on top.

S: Sweet, smokey, and perhaps a little corn in there as well. Interesting.

T: Smokey, with a light bready flavor. Some toasty notes, with a little oatmeal. Something a little off for me in this one, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The smoke flavor is a touch on the cloying for my tastes.

M: Medium in feel, carbonation is fine and somewhat low. Finishes pretty clean.

O: Overall interesting, but not something I am in love with. The smoke feels a touch sweet, and it seems like after the smoke there isn't much else to it. Not bad, just not interesting. (637 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -7.8%

As someone who has grown to really enjoy a good 'smoked' beer, this was one I really looked forward to grabbing while on a recent trip to NOLA. Tried one while there, and three more returned home to Oregon with me; this is the second. Poured to a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle (no discernible date, although a vague '12' and, possibly, a '3' are on the right side of the label - it's fresh I'm betting...).

Brewed & Bottled at Lazy Magnolia's (Kiln, MS) brewery.

A: Hazy amber/chestnut with very little carbonation... just a few lazy bubbles rising without much urgency. Starts with a fairly impressive finger of khaki fizz, but it disappears within a couple minutes to a scant crescent of film.

S: Polite smokiness, toasty and somewhat sweet. Has a 'cured meat' quality that hints at Bamberg Rauchbier, but doesn't quite have the depth. Moments of orange blossom; just that bit of citrus offsets the smoke nicely.

T: Sweet and smoky, has a definite 'barbeque' flair with malty grains and a 'charred wood' backing. Cereal grains, somewhat nutty. All in all, benign flavors, nothing assertive.

M: Smooth, a little slick, not well-carbonated. Light-medium body and mildly smoky but generally forgettable aftertaste.

O: The Bayou Teche Pale is pretty phenomenal and I'd hoped for something similar from this. As such, it's a fairly benign beer hinting at smokiness and malt sweetness but without a great deal of body. It's just 'OK'... and that equals 'disappointing' to me. Drinkable, but certainly not crave-worthy. Sessionable strength is very nice, however; I'd bet this compliments spicy foods well. (1,611 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter. Off-white head, low retention on a clear, copper body. Aroma includes caramel sweetness, some butterscotch and maybe a slight hint of smoke. Taste showcases the smoke much more than the aroma, again some caramel sweetness and some of the wheat flavors shine through. Interesting mix of flavors, not bad at all. (349 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

So they bottled this beer, and I can review it in the comfort my own home. So what I got is a yellow to orange color. I definitely smelled smoke but not the wood smoke I actually wanted, it just lacks the gameness I get out of most smoke beers. The head dissipated as fast I poured it. The taste was very light smoke, with a slight wheat fruitiness. Overall It was a average to good beer that I wouldn't care to buy a six pack of. (430 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours dark copper with an abundant off white head that dissipates, leaving little lacing along the side of the glass. The beer smelled smoky during the pour. That smokiness is pretty strong in the aroma, but I can also pick up the sweetness as well.The taste is smoky The malt sweetness does come through in the flavor as well. It's a pretty difficult flavor to describe. It's slightly astringent and acrid. I enjoy it more as I drink it. The body is light to medium. There isn't much carbonation to speak of. Overall, this beer is interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much going for it. It's interesting in the average sense. I'm sure it would pair well with the local cuisine, but I won't be rushing to the store for another bottle of this any time soon. (763 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours copper color in pint glass.

HInts of malt but good bit of smokiness. Also a Band-Aid type character to it.

Taste is nutty and smoky. Band-Aid taste is present too. Just not that appealing.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Average carbonation.

Overall this was o.k. (278 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3%

A big thanks to Evan (optimator13) for this great extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a copper penny color into a tulip. Very little head is achieved and there is literally zero lacing.

Smell – Slight smoke, a hint of sweetness, and pale malts.

Taste – Similar to the aroma – mainly smoke. A hint of hops and fruity sweetness but mainly smoke.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lighter carbonation, crisp.

Overall – I say this to myself with each smoked beer I try…I just can’t seem to get into/appreciate this style. This one was a bit easier for me to handle since it was a lighter style beer, but I still can’t seem to enjoy it. (645 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Amber/orange in color, upper clarity, light off white head.

S - Smoke aroma is light, but pleasant. There's a bit of sweetness along with a bit of fruitiness and maltiness.

T - Nice level of smoke, some tangy hops, light maltiness and some breadiness.

M - Slightly crisp, and lighter in body.

O - Not really impressed, though I'm looking forward to trying this when I see bottles around. Hopefully the smokiness is more pronounced and the wheat characters are more noticeable. (487 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Top Hops in New York, after having tried another beer from Bayou Teche a few weeks back. I wasn't sure what to expect with this and after having one of these, I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I can honestly say that I've never had anything like this and even though this isn't quite up my alley, it grew on me a bit as it warmed up and I became accustomed to the taste. This begs for food to be paired with, since it's probably not something that most people would enjoy just on its own.

The pour to this was a ruddy brown with a somewhat moderate head and just a bit of lacing to boot. Smoked wood, sour cherry, sausage, and a muenster-like cheese all combined for an interesting aroma that was repeated in the mouthfeel. This felt like a polish sandwich in liquid form with a cloying aspect to it, as the taste was reminiscent of dough from a thin-crusted sandwich bread. Hardly and hops and just a bit of carbonation in the back that washed most of the flavors down, leaving the smoke behind to wallow on my palate.

This was quite malty and left a slightly sticky residue behind in my mouth. The alcohol was light enough that I could have had seconds of this in one sitting but like most people, I felt that one at a time was enough. While this won't bowl anyone over, it's different than anything else on the shelf and is worth a go once, if for no other reason that in its own odd way, this was a meal all unto itself. Yes, it called for a food pairing but there was enough here to give it complexity to go with the oddity that a Smoked Beer was, and still is, for someone like me. (1,614 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +1.8%

A: It's hard to compare the appearance to other smoked beers, because they can vary. By the standards of any other beer, this one has no head at all, and is very hazy. The color is dark shade of amber.

S: The scent is a bit odd. It has a mellow wood-like smell to it, but I can't place it. It doesn't smell like oak. I can definitely pick up a smoky scent...like a smoked jerky.

T: Wow, this is a really smoky beer! It really has more than just a "smoked grain" flavor to it. It has more of an actual smoke flavor...like smoked sausage. This is like smoked sausage in a bottle. I've had other smoked beers before, but none like this. I think the originality really warrants a 5.0, but there seems to be something lacking in the back...like some background bitterness or something to add to the body. Really, though this is cool. I don't pick up any wheat at all.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty thin. It's fairly robust at first, and seems to hold its own about 1/3 way through the drink. It doesn't linger in the mouth much though.

O: Overall, I scored it average because it's a really cool beer, but it could be better. (1,120 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - light ruby color, clear, with good carbonation and about half a finger's worht of light khaki-colored foam that disipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - malty and lightly fruity in aroma. Also with the earthiness that comes with a wheat beer.

Taste - malty and musky, but again, with an earthiness that comes from a wheat beer. The muskiness comes back toward the finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - pretty well balanced, but leans a little more toward the watery side.

Overall - not a bad brew, but not terribly complex. (566 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise glass. Best by 13 February 2012.

A: Pours with a light finger of a head and a heavy amount of carbonation. Lots and lots of bubbles in this cloudy light-brown beer that is barely transparent.

S: Surprisingly fruity! Initially, I like it, but the more I smell the more it weirds me out. Bright black cherry or blue raspberry sorts of smells. Not much else.

T: After a long and tumultuous internal discussion centering around my first several sips, I've decided to like it. Smoke is virtually absent, but a fruit that is most akin to cranberries dominates the taste. Sweetish (with a bit of tang) until the very end, which dries up a little bit. Fruity and interesting.

M: Lightly carbonated, faintly smooth.

O: An intriguing beer, but not altogether an obviously good one. Still, I liked it, despite the misleading moniker. Tentatively recommended. (898 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

A: Amber color; a clear yellow/orange. Half finger head that leaves way too soon.

S: Sweet, smoky; wafts of burning cedar

T: Smoke all the way, but not overpowering. Light, very drinkable.

M: Light, smooth; low carbonation

O: Not an overpowering smoked beer. A good entry from Bayou Teche. Maximize with a burger or cheddar. (372 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I don't know about this beer. I have had one bottle of this and don't know if it's just an infected batch I got but I get a lot of Funky smell and taste from it. Tastes like it has lacto bacteria in it to me. I have had some smoked beers before, but this flavor is not the smoked variety to me. Its not bad but not what I was expecting. (336 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber, mostly clear, small white head has little retention and lace.

A little sweet overall, with smokey notes mostly in the aftertaste. A touch of wheat twang, campfire, and smoked meat. Caramel, bready sweetness.

A little heavier than expected, but still a medium feel with medium carb. Finishes mostly clean.

Intriguing combo of smoke & style. I feel like this has potential, but not fully executed. (405 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is clear light amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high beige head that quickly died down, leaving wisps of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of smoked cherrywood are present in the nose, although there is a lot of iodine so the smell mostly resembles Band-Aids.
T: Just like the smell, the taste has lots of Band-Aid flavors along with notes of smoke. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels just about medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite easy to drink hived its wheat base, but you really need to have grown accustomed to the Band-Aid aromas and flavors to appreciate it. (757 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in a stemless globe.

Thanks to hannydawg for sharing this bottle!

Gotta love the random smoked tick, eh? It pours a tawny amber topped by a finger of short-lived dirty tan foam. The nose comprises buttery toffee and hickory smoke, with only a twinge of woody greens in the middleground between them. The taste holds notes of light hickory smoke, husky wheat, light clove, and toasted caramel. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and an oily-ish feel. Overall, a generally enjoyable smoked beer, but one that really doesn't stand out from the others in any real way. Tasty, though... (617 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a pint glass a copper orange with excellent clarity. Good looking beer, at least.

The smell is sweet, and faintly of apricots and figs, as well a a sharply roasted note.

There is an odd astringent flavor present. I don't really know what to make of it. The taste is overall fairly sweet and malty.

The overall texture is on the thick side of medium-bodied, with a lasting astringent quality. Not a bad beer, but I'm not crazy about it. (451 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bayou Teche Boucanee’ has a very thick, foamy, cream-colored head, a clear, bubbly, copper appearance, and slight lacing left behind. The aroma is of an overriding smokiness with an undercurrent of sweetness and wheat bread. Taste is of wood smoke, caramel, sugar, and a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Bayou Teche Boucanee’ finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and semi-dry. Overall, it’s very smoky and not like a wheat beer. I think it is good and interesting.

RJT (497 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

i see I'm not the only one to get this beer from optimator13. It's good beer, thanks man!

Light peachy-amber colored, clear, lots of nice tiny rising bubbles, head and lace were nothing special, but it's not bad looking at all.

Plenty of smoke smell and a little bit of wheat and malt.

Tastes pretty good, although smoke is most of what you're getting. Wheat and malts accent, much like the smell. Just a touch of fruitiness finishes it off.

Feel wise I like this one, it's got a nice smoky aftertaste, a light body, pretty smooth and ample carbonation, and it's easy to drink.

Overall it's not bad at all. Light for a smoked beer but very drinkable. (656 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast