Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Citra Showers - Noble Ale Works

Citra ShowersCitra Showers

Noble Ale Works visit their website

Beer added by: Rollzroyce21 on 01-01-2014

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink before 2/23/14

Pours a hazy pale golden orange color with dark straw colored edges and a two finger, pillowy white head that very slow settles into a thick, lasting ring. Very good retention with streaks of soapy lacing coating the glass on the way down.

Dank juicy hop aroma that's bursting with resinous oils and tropical/citrus fruit sweetness. Uber-fresh juicy nuggets with fresh cut grass, pine needle, spruce tip and subtle onion-y summit. The earthy, grassy notes really stand out but are perfectly countered by the sweeter fruit notes. Very tropical with hints of grapefruit, mango, papaya, pineapple and blood orange sweetness followed by a subtle pale malt backbone. I'm picking up a touch of biscuit along with toast and graham cracker but the lighter malt notes do not interfere in any way with the glorious hop profile. One of the dankest, freshest smelling IPAs I've come across. I don't know how the aroma could be improved. Smells amazing!

Full bodied with a blast of dank, resinous hop bitterness that lingers over the sweeter hop notes and subtle malt backbone into a bone dry finish. Pretty much perfectly balanced with dry, grassy pine needle flavor along with some earthy spruce tip and a touch of onion-y summit hops countered by juicy citrus/tropical fruit sweetness. Strong grapefruit flavor along with hints of mango, papaya, blood orange, curaçao and pineapple sweetness before finishing with subtle pale malt and a touch of boozy heat. The malt bill is present in the palate but doesn't hinder the intense hop flavors. Subtle hints of biscuit, bread, graham cracker and caramel. Just enough sweetness and alcohol to counter the intense hop bitterness. There is just a touch of heat toward the end of the palate but it's nicely masked at 8.8%. Deceptively drinkable because of the complexity and delicious combination of flavors. I could drink this all day and wish that I had regular access to this brewery in Philadelphia. An amazing beer that I highly recommend to any hophead. Incredible!

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

- 22 oz. bomber with Best By date on bottle: 30-Sep-15
Poured into Golden Road tumbler on 5-Aug-15 (bottled 2 days prior)

- 22oz. bomber poured into stemless wine glass on 8-Apr-15 (bottled just one day earlier)

- 22 oz. bomber with Best By date on bottle: 23-Feb-14
Poured into stemless wine glass on 31-Dec-13 (drinking this into the new year).

- Tasted 3 oz. from tap at the tasting room earlier in the day.

I'll get straight to the point. Loads of pineapple, ripe peaches, mango, guava, lemon, and grapefruit up front. Not so much in nose as it is in the taste. As I'm hit with all the tropical flavors, I'm reminded why this hop varietal will always be a classic. The flavor profile is encompassed with just the right amount of piney resin. The finish is clean, dry, and has just the right amount of hop bitter. Now, I'll admit that I'm not a hop head by the classic definition. I enjoy my IPA's balanced and on the mild side of hoppyness. But Kern River's Citra is one of my personal favorite IPA's and although it's been awhile since I've tasted Citra (unfortunately way too long!), CS is right on par!

Definitely the best brew I've enjoyed from Noble. Better than Tongue Tickles, and I really enjoyed TT. This is my personal favorite IPA in the O.C. region. I will definitely look forward to more of this.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last