Strong Back Stout - Bahamian Brewery Beverage & Co. Ltd.

Strong Back StoutStrong Back Stout

Bahamian Brewery Beverage & Co. Ltd. visit their website
Bahamas

Foreign / Export Stout |  7.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-25-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by bcuz7:
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

bcuz7, Oct 04, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Had this in the airport in the Bahamas (Nassau) while waiting to fly home. They were out of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout and it was suggested I try this.

I was very happy I did, it was quite good. Very much like the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout with some nice kick.

Too bad I didn't see any of it during my stay as the beer choice SUCKS on the islands. This and the Guinness Foreign Extra Stout are all the beers of any quality you get to chose from and they are not offered at many places.

My rating here is based in comparision to all beers worldwide but if it were based on the island beers only this would be 5 star!!!

ExtraStout, Dec 11, 2010
4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

I drank this straight out of the bottle, purchased and popped open at the Bahamian Brewery outlet in Nassau. The wonderful woman at the store showed me her skill, opening the bottle with a STAPLER, ending up with an unmarred bottle cap. Sweet.
I can only guess at the appearance since there was no pour involved. Looks good through the dark bottle.
The smell is nice, toasted malt with a hint of coffee and chocolate.
The stout tastes great. Smooth, slightly sweet, malt, a hint of chocolate and coffee with a nice bitter finish.
The mouthfeel is excellent. Nice and creamy with a bit of a drying finish. Would love to have one I could pour into a proper glass...sigh.
Overall, an excellent beer. If I could find this nearby, I'd buy it.

SD-Alefan, Mar 03, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

seavercm, Apr 15, 2014
3.94/5  rDev +4.5%

I couldn't help but laugh reading the other reviews here. They are SPOT ON.

I was also in Nassau when I tried this beer. As other have stated, 95% of the places you'll go here have nothing going on for beer. When Red Stripe is a slight step above the rest, you know you're in trouble.

So when I finally spotted a stout that looked like one in the bottle, I figured, "Why not?"

Well hey, I gotta say, it was pretty good! It tastes even better because you can drink anywhere you go in Nassau carrying a beer and it doesn't break the law. Want to wear a swimsuit, drink a beer, and walk into a diamond store and look at a 10 karat diamond? Sure! Why not? ^_^

It doesn't bring anything new to the table, but all of the characteristics of a good solid stout are in this bottle. As compared to the other drinks there, this beer is salvation in the dessert on an island in the sea. ^_^

Chirpie, Jan 18, 2013

mikerems, May 04, 2013

dtx00, Oct 01, 2012

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color (traces of amber are visible near the edges of the glass when it is held up to the light) and poured with a half finger high tan head that never co.
S: There are aromas of roasted malts in the nose along with hints of licorice.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has flavors of roasted malts; hints of licorice and coffee beans are also present.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is quite flavorful for the style and goes down quite easily.

metter98, Jan 01, 2012

lozz123, Dec 15, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours black with tan head no proper glass wear to judge lace so eh looks like a stout.

Smell is nice roasted malt good coffee notes hints of chocolate.

Taste is actually surprised quite tasty at least it hit the spot after snorkeling on Deadman's reef in Freeport, Bahamas. Roasted notes descent coffee with a hop kick.

Mouthfeel lighter a good warm weather brew.

Overall I was surprised it was actually pretty good way better then any other local island brews I have had.

mntlover, Feb 15, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Got this in a bottle while on vacation in Eleuthera. Fresh, sweet, malty. I think of stouts as a good cold-weather beer, but this is a stout for a warm climate. It is tasty, but not thick, which makes it a refreshing choice where one might look for a lager.

SteveStein, Feb 26, 2011

bostonryan, Nov 13, 2012

cam12, Apr 27, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

weaselchew, Feb 14, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

On-Tap at The Cricketers Pub in Bahamas.
Served to me in a plastic mug. Not ideal, but after drinking cans of Sands for a few days, I won't complain. Deep black with a thin head. Smells of rosted chocolate mix with a faint boozy aroma. Tastes heavy on the roasted malts while the warmth of the alcohol coats the mouth. Mild hops balance out the brew nicely. Feels pretty dense and heavy on the tongue. Very drinkable for the ABV. Good brew that's worth a try if your in the islands.

JunkYardJake, Jun 05, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

knb112, Sep 13, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

33cL bottle poured into a pint glass
No born on date

A: opaque black with browning on edges, 2 fingers very light tan head, dissipates pretty quickly to a thin film, leaves a trace amount of spotty lacing

S:roasted malt, some coffee, hint of chocolate,smells nice but fairly weak

T: coffee, roasted malt, earthy/grassy taste, touch of hop bitterness, vanilla and some dark chocolate, nice lingering mocha and coffee flavors in the aftertaste, really good actually

M/D: pretty heavy carbonation for the style, but relatively smooth,and somewhat chewy, medium bodied, with good drinkability

O:My girlfriend picked this one up for me on a recent cruise to the Bahamas and it was  really a pleasant surprise.  I thought the taste was very good, and the mouthfeel was quite nice.  I thoroughly enjoyed this.

zac16125, May 25, 2012

dbrauneis, Jan 02, 2012

Lantern, Oct 24, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +18%

Enjoyed this ale at Paradise Cove/Deadman's Reef in Freeport just down the road from the brewery in which it is made. While the family swam, I sampled local brews.
Pours a dark brown with creamy tan two finger head leaving fair amount of lacing. Roasted malt with hint of chocolate. Mouthfeel was good with strong finish. A rather nice surprise found in a remote beach location.

Paincane, Jul 30, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Went to the Freeport and tried Kalik, sands and this. Kalik was skunky and looked like piss in a bottle.Tastes much lighter than the 7 % though. Sands was light and reminded me of the many American offerings available by big beer. This beer on the other hand was dark, chocolate with a good solid mouth feel. Not a Guinness fan as the back end isn't great to me, but I think this stout tastes much smoother and has the ram's kick in abv to boot, as shown on the label. Win win situation. One of the smoother stouts I've encountered. Not too complex of a taste but substantial and buzzy with a nice creamy head of 2 or 3 fingers with pretty good lacing. It's all in the pour. Not overly sweet, either. In my opinion, this is your best bet in the Bahamas for a quality beer. Could be a devastating session beer if you're inclined to test your resistance, as most beer on the islands costs the same. I would definately pick this up stateside and add to my arsenal if available. Somewhat similar to a good dark bock in smoothness with a nice subtle stout flavor with nice chocolate and roasted malt undertones. Brought a case back to share with the homies since I was so impressed on what I stumbled on. Like me, they seek beer beyond the average redneck palate. I received all positive feedback from some very opinionated friends. Try it if you can. Cheers!

Dojima, Feb 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

sammyt728, Dec 24, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

BFro, Feb 01, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

This is a pretty nice beer, especially coming from the Caribbean where so many beers are wimpy and substandard. This one is a real stout, with some characteristics of a porter. The color is very black, with a modest head of tan. Slight nose of dark malts and hops. Moderately heavy in the mouth, but not as creamy as some stouts, though this would improve if poured from a nitro tap. Nice full malt on the palate, with a very subtle but lingering bitterness in the finish from a well-balanced hop infusion. I did enjoy this, and consider it perhaps the best brew from the Bahamas.

jushoppy2beer, Feb 11, 2012

JISurfer, Jun 29, 2013
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Strong Back Stout from Bahamian Brewery Beverage & Co. Ltd.