Oyster Stout - The Porterhouse Brewing Company

Oyster StoutOyster Stout

The Porterhouse Brewing Company visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oyster Stout Alström Bros

A truly remarkable beer. The oyster presense is not fishy but a bit salty like a true oyster. There is a slight hint of oyster, so much that a non oyster eater would still enjoy the beer. Had this on cast which makes it even better. On a hot day the briney oyster made this just the right beer. The cask was cold for most casks which appeased me on a hot day. The stout minus the oyster is also excellent. In fact, the stout minus the oyster would blow a Guinness away because it is not nearly as off-putting bitter and had great malty chocolate coffee. Put this on your to-do list if you haven't already.

4.74/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle purchased in Mullingar Ireland. Cute pull ring cap. Head quickly disappeared but some residual lacing. Definitely a taste of salt. Not as bitter as some stouts but not as much oyster as I expected. Certainly worth trying if you see it.

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%

I've drunk beer while eating oysters, but nothing with oyster brewed into it!
This Stout is delicious. Rich Creamy head, smooth taste, dark bodied. There is an actual feeling of sea breeze or something indefinable but nice about the scent. i am certainly going to order myself more of this one!

4.59/5  rDev +24.7%

On-tap pint at Beachwood BBQ, my first true Oyster stout, this is definitely not Kosher,

A: Pours a dark mahogany with a fizzy off-white head, fair retention, muddled look. Not the best looking stout in the world, but I don't care with how good it tastes.

S: Dark roasted malt, hint of fruit/cherries.

T: The dark malt is great here, but the oysters are adding another dimension. There's a hard to define fruity character with a bit of saltiness. Great bittersweet ~ 60% cacao chocolate. Incredibly tasty and not heavy at all.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, very easy drinking.

D: My favourite of the day at Beachwood. This is delicious complex stout. Very tasty, this place is a must visit if I'm ever in Dublintown. Get a pint and go back to the 1800s with this beer. Probably as close as you can get to a stout from Joyce's day.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Pitch black with quarter inch tan head.

Sweet roasted malt, and a hint of salt.

The smoothest stout I've ever sampled. Absolutely astounding. Not much taste of the sea, but a pleasant sweetness that changes into a nice bitter finish.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

As far as a stout goes, the body might appear a bit thin. It's more of a ruby-mahogany color in the corners of the pint glass rather than an opaque black. The head, though, poured from a nitro tap, is a magnificantly thick and tenacious one.

Smell is crisp, malty, with a bit of charcoal. Taste is smooth and malty. A nice dry Irish stout. Then at the end you get a hint of saltiness. Don't be spooked by the name. No slimy oyster bodies are going to pour out of the bottle or tap; it just gives an interesting finish to the beer. And a finish that I like!

This beer is a drinker. And with the reasonably low ABV you can certainly put a few away. It's a winner, although a bit pricey.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Overall an impressive beer and seemed true to style. While not in the least an Oyster Stout afficianado, I greatly enjoyed this beer and give it high marks. Slightly on the hoppier end from my taste buds but the mineral qualities seemed right on cue for this style. Will buy again anytime I am in the mood for a saltier sort of beer with good malt and hop qualities. Thanks Ireland and Porterhouse!

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

From a 330 ml bottle. This is the first time I've seen this in Orange County. On to the beer:

Into my Guinness pint glass, the beer is dark ruby brown in color with ruby red hues. The light density of the head means more of it, and lots of lacing, along with its head being long lasting. There's unsweetened chcolate in the nose with a very light roast to it. There's somehting else, oysters? It smells more like mint to me.

The flavor isn't complex, but the quality of it is. It tastes like a semi-sweet chocolate mint drink. Again, why am I tasting mint? I must be mistaken it for something else. Overall very appealing to say the least, and not burnt like other dry stouts. The beer is light bodied, and the carbonation doesn't get it the way.

Much different from any Irish stout I've tasted. It may also be the best I've tasted out of Ireland. Outstanding!

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

ABV on this bottle is 5.2%.

Body is black, but very dark brown if you hold it up to the light. Has a substantial, greyish (must be the oysters) tan head, that lasts awhile, dissipating to a fine layer yet leaving some fine lacing on the glass.

Aromas of sweet dark malt, chocolate, some fruit. Some salty ocean freshness.

Taste is crisp and fine, very well balance of mildly sweet malt and acid. Some chocolate and dark fruit, I'm tasting cherries or maybe ripe blueberries. There really are some oysters in it too, but if it really tasted strongly of oysters I mightn't like it. There is a little metallic/mineral tanginess. Finishes dry, chocolaty, and somewhat hoppy.

Body is light and the carbonation makes it effervescent, giving it a very refreshing mouthfeel.

This is a very nice stout, with a lot of interesting flavors, and the ABV is low enough, one could drink several in a session. Should be quite nice with fresh oysters, but with the acidity, it can be paired well with some hearty Irish food, such as a shepherd's pie, or a smoked salmon boxty, as well as a bunch of other Irish dishes. I am liking it, but then I'm half Irish.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

The last time, and also the first time, I tried Oyster Stout, I was a touch disappointed, but that was most likely because I had heard many a soul rant and rave about how this was the best beer ever produced in the history of humanity, and nothing could ever have lived up to the expectations I had allowed to develop in advance of my trip to Dublin in 2008, so I was looking forward to reacquainting myself with the Oyster Stout. Again the actual beer was a deep ruby red, although the head was rockier than the Wrasslers. The usual stout aromas abounded, chocolate and coffee front and centre, but there was something else, lurking in the background, something I couldn't place. The only thing I could think of was that it had a touch of the sea about it, somewhat akin to the Islay whiskies, perhaps that was pure suggestion, but there we go. As far as drinking goes, this is lighter than the Wrasslers, but full of flavour and with a long bitter finish, simply put it is great drinking and beats the stuff on nitro in Dublin.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from an 11.2-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Very, very dark red, almost black, with a two-finger tan head at pouring. Head subsides but retains well, with great lacing.

Smell: Dark, roasted malts and something peculiar, which must be the oysters. It's very appealing.

Taste: Very nice! Basically, take my description for the smell and apply it to the taste. I'm not a fan of seafood, so I didn't expect to like this much, but I'll be damned if it isn't impressing me mightily.

Mouthfeel: Decently full, but a tad watery. Nice carbonation, though.

Drinkability: Unexpectedly high. It's hard to stop myself from just gulping this down!

This is the first oyster stout I've ever had, and based on this beer, I hope it won't be the last.

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

Tasted this one in the Porterhouse in Dublin while on holiday there.
A thick black beer in the glass with a traditional creamy head. Smells were of the roasted variety as with many creamy stouts.
Not put off by the description of oysters in the brewing, after all Guinness and oysters are supposed to be a great combination so this would appear to be a logical extension really...
The tastes were all you'd expect from a creamy smooth stout, some licorice and coffee, perhaps burnt caramel. I think not as roasted as a Guinness but so smooth and creamy and full of body. I personally, and Irish readers don't hate me here, rate this above Guinness. I had them in Dublin, from the source, within a few days of each other and as good as Guinness in Ireland is, I loved this stout even more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent stout with the oyster in it giving just a faintly noticeable, and very pleasant subtle sea-like/shellfish hint.

Basically black but with some light coming through, it has a very big tan head steadily shrinking to a rocky, foamy top and some frothy lace. Overall, it's very nice looking.

Aroma is caramelised sweet brown bread, prunes, raisins, hint of molasses, faint hint of the sea and shellfish. It is firm and characterful, very nice with slight uniqueness.

Taste is more mild than aroma, dryer, with lightly sweet-sour fruit (turned figs), up front and gentle darkly roasted barley and dark toast following, with a light sea/shellfish twang hint in the finish and aftertaste. It has light woody-roasty bitterness and bite at the finish, very gentle, with nice subtle complexity. Drinkability is high and the feel is firm, not watery or oily.

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

A: velvety black with huge white creamy head that stay around around 1/2 finger theought the beer

S: smells of seasalt, lemons and a typical dry stout. Very interesting and not your typical

T: very subtle notes of lemon, dark grains and a slight bitterness shines through at the end, but not over powering to the flavor at all.

M: very creamy and smooth. Probably one of the smoothest beers you will ever have.

O: If you like dry stouts with flavor, this is a good beer to try. Definitely a unique flavor profile, but its not over powering

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

11.2oz / 330mL bottle poured into a mini "pint" glass.

Appearance - Dark ruby black body. Light brown head. Good retention. Patchy lacing.

Smell - Spicy. Dry. Cardboard. Smells like a wharf.

Taste - Spicy. Acidic. Roasted coffee. Smooth as hell. Slightly hoppy.

Mouthfeel - Smooth here too. Lots of frothy body carbonation.

Overall Drinkability - Very drinkable. Interesting. Worthy as a tasting, or session beer -- if you can afford more than one!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yummm. Poured with lovely foamy, frothy, fluffy, tan head with lots of lace. Color is an opaque pitch black. Aroma was interesting, it did have something odd, but maybe I sucumbed to some bs. Other than that, also roasty, malty and clean. Flavor was neat too; almost sweet, but not quite, very well done balance there. Body is very good and ditto carbonation. Finish is like flavor and of medium length. I can drink the hell out of this beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a very deep, dark, opaque brown, very close to solid black, topped with a large amount of tan head, which retains quite well and leaves quite a bit of lacing.

S: Nice subdued but toasty roasted malts. Pleasant and interesting. I wouldn't peg oysters from the aroma, but there does seem to be something extra going on, something different.

T: A nice solid dry stout, with a little bit of saltiness on the finish. Complex, but very well balanced.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, with a somewhat creamy finish. Quite smooth overall.

D: Very drinkable, and I could have a few pints for sure. I wouldn't have known it had oysters without reading the label, but there's definitely a noticeable extra note that I haven't tasted in other beers.

I've never had an oyster stout before, but based on this one, I'd try one again.

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a pleasant surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect with an Oyster Stout, but the flavor was intriguing. Not too dark and not too light. Please bear with me as this is my 1st review. The next bottle of this I open will be with an Oyster Po-Boy

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

The boss bought an 11.2oz bottle back from Alabama for me to dig. The smell alone I could inhale for a couple of hours...

A: Almost perfectly darkest dark. Held up to bright light, only did the top quarter-inch let in any transparency of any kind. Poured up thick with a, sadly, thinnish head of milk-white, tightly-packed tiny bubbles. Retention is nice, however, with the remnants of the head sticking around for about ten minutes after pour. Ultra-thin lacing down the sides of my pub glass well after sips.

S: Hoo boy! This is this ale's biggest selling point, I think... so far. An almost clove-y, weizenbier nose... how does that happen? Big expressive malts take care of that, I guess, but without the Bavarian yeast. The roasted grain notes are all there, too. What finishes this one is a frikkin dynamite briny note from the oysters. Considering the recent release of Harpoon's Island River Oyster with all those Danbury Bay oysters filtered over oyster shells... I never picked up on too much of a bivalve quality... only a slight touch of ocean salt and oyster flesh in the first belch. Not so here! Imagine someone soaked the local beach with 4 different roasted grains & then set all the briny depths' wigly little grey guys on fire for ten seconds. Stand upon the edge of the surf and take all that in... this beer is what that smells like and amplified by 100. Flinty, smokey, malt-sweet and candied. Like sea salt and choclatey smoke rolled into one with a briny hit of shellfish in the finish. By golly, this is the longest single-aspect to a review I've ever done! Quite possibly the best-smelling beer I've ever stuck under my proboscis.

T: Smooth smoke lifting off to iced tea, hibiscus flowers (?!), hints of lemon (am I still drinking an Irish Oyster Stout???!!!) and slightly-burnt biscuits. Did someone forget to tell me this is opposite day? Am I actually awake? Should'nt these types of flavors be resigned to a dunkel-weizen? What the hell is going on here? Why am I asking you?

M: Absolutely smooth with a hint of the bottle-conditioned carbonation hitting the sides of the tongue. Gives it a nice fizzy bite but only around the sensitive parts of the mouth. Lets you know it's there. Never heavy. Again... am I really drinking an Irish Oyster Stout???!!! This is like drinking Kostritzer in terms of mouthfeel. No syrupy richness... no roasted barley astringency... I feel like Luis Guzman in the movie "Waiting" when he discovers his two wanna-be gangsta busboys eating bell peppers and whipped cream in his walk-in cooler... (whispered) "What the fffuuuccc...???"

D: Hells yes. Totally drinkable. Imperitavely drinkable. You should be drinking this right now, fool! If I had two sixers of this smashing 5.2%abv stout I wouldn't be writing this right now... I'd be on my porch listening to Tom Waits' "Nighthawks at the Diner" live album, smoking a cigarette, getting wonderfully potzed to a wonderful beer to a wonderful album. God, someone bless America! And Ireland, while we're at it. After all, they made this damn delicious beverage. I was even ready to write this silly thing off after reading its labels. The word "Irish" appears, like, forty times on the front label alone... (okay... a little artistic license there). SOOO glad I looked past that one pretentious quality of the packaging. Do yourselves a favor... if you see this beer anywhere... BUY IT!!! Besides that, it's pretty good.

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

12oz bottle with a very cool pull off bottle cap that does not require an opener!!!! From Abe's of Bethlehem, PA.

Very nice dark coor with rich, creamy head. Surely the oysters contributed.

Aroma is briny, rich, and chocolatey. Very sweet and salty.

Taste is balanced and beautiful... truly artisnal. A great example of an Oyster Stout!

Mouthfeel is rich and velvetly.

This is the 2nd oyster stout ive every tried other than Yard's Love Stout. This is quite similar... and this style is truly beginning to grow on me!!!

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Was really looking forward to this beer on my one night stay in Dublin. I essentially only left the airport for this beer. I think I envisioned it to be a little too good, but the Oyster Stout is still one of the best stouts I've ever had, and I love stouts. Creates an amazing foamy head that is thick and cream, and the body's flavor, including the hints of real oysters, is like nothing I've ever had before. Truly an amazing beer.

4.31/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Cigar City pint glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a semi-opaque black color with a 1/2 inch tan head that retains slightly and then becomes a 1/8 inch ring around the edge of the glass yielding various bubbles across the surface. Above-average lacing.

S- Roasty but sweet, almost floral, malt nose. No saltiness like I was expecting.

T- The salt element comes through in the flavor but only in a mild sense. Mostly it's just a well-done stout with firm yet subtle roasted malts. A bit sweet as well. Very straightforward and simple, but also very attractive.

M- Full and bristly with medium carbonation.

O- If you're at all interested in oyster stouts, I highly recommend this one. High in drinkability.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Similar color and alcohol level to their Plain Porter, this is a deep ruby color almost black color with a light tan head forming thick and leaving behind dwindled/scattered lacing. Aroma has a salty brine to the herbal mint dark chocolate notes between the dark roasts and various hop varieties. Flavor is muted with dark bitter chocolate notes and a sea salt finish that actually works with a soft calcium ion infused water source. The only beer that's good for your bones, any oyster stout. The most well blended version of any of their beers I've had I'm really interested why this drinks so well this will kill an Irishmen especially at proper temp and serving technique, of course that would be cask. Fine drinking beer fine easy to gulp texture with ample flavor abound finishes lightly dry but not bittering hop pellet dry. Cohesive flavors and excellent beverage marry in my glass I'm ready for a whole four pack how expensive were these freakin' beers?

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It pours a healthy dark brown. It is translucent when held to the light. A 1/2 inch beige head forms leaving a nice spotty lacing. Looks black.

The aroma is a nice blend of roasted malts and a unique smokey oyster component that is intriguing to me. Some mild chocolatey notes.

The toast again includes roasted malty components of chocolate and coffee and an odd bitterness. Some salted oyster notes sneaks through again. Oddly enough, solid to my palate.

The mouthfeel is medium fulled bodied with a fizzy carbonation that loosens the flavor a bit. Bitter and quick dryness that leaves a velvet texture is solid.

Overall, I didn't really know what to expect from this beer. However, it is quite good and a nice representative of the style. Solid beer and easy to enjoy a couple of.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

I'd never seen this been before May, when the Shelton Bros. booth at Point Blank's Open House had it on display. A recent find at Beaumont Market, a 330ML/11.2 oz. bottle with a curious pulltab/cap, the first I've seen of it's kind; poured to a pint glass.

100% Irish" and"6° Off Kilter" seem to be two common themes on the label.

A: Very solid foam, a light khaki atop a dense mahogany brown. Shows some light through, so it's a moody, brooding sort of sultriness that I like in a stout, dark and full of character. Good head retention and an ample speckling of lace.

S: Chocolate-y/chalky nose, loads of ashy minerals and tinny metal. Smells of the sea, plenty strong.

T: A soul-sucking, tongue-curling dryness that is toasted malt weighted with earthy, almost muddy, dark chocolate. The kicker is an appealing blend of spice and brine married with the rich flavor of terrain. Captivating.

M: Smooth and rather hearty; a thinner body upfront but heavy dose of dryness, I mean DRYNESS, in the finish, and the end result grows chewier/meatier by the second.

D: May not be to the liking of all, but ~ oh my ~ as tasty a version of the style as I've had yet. Don't be scared off by the 'Oyster' in Oyster Stout if you're crustacean-averse; you really wouldn't know it and you'd miss out on an extremely tasty beer. Loved it, and could have several more.

Oyster Stout from The Porterhouse Brewing Company