Oyster Stout - The Porterhouse Brewing Company

The Porterhouse Brewing Company visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oyster Stout Alström Bros

Oyster stout? Yes please! I LOVE oysters. Imagine the flavor of an oyster in your beer. Bring it on! However, it doesn't smell like oysters. As a matter of fact, it doesn't taste like oysters either. You would think, a beer with the name OYSTER stout that it would at least taste like oysters.

I did a little bit of preliminary research on the beer, and everyone said it's just as sweet as it is salty. I'll admit, it's sweet… but not too sweet. Where is the salt everyone talks about? I can sense a very tiny bit of bitterness toward the back of my palate, but that's it. This beer is just not what I had expected.

The beer is smooth, has a distinct stout flavor to it, but that's about it. I actually looked forward to drinking this beer all day only to be let down at my first sip. If you are looking for a beer that tastes like oysters, this isn't it.

1.65/5  rDev -55%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

330mL bottle from Hop City (Atlanta, GA). 4.29. No discernable bottling date. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a deep golden hued dark brown with a frothy two and a half fingers beige head. A good bit of lace anywhere that the head settles.

Aroma is strange and almost off putting. Sweet and sour malty. Not quite like anything else I've tried.

Taste is just as odd as the nose. Salty cheap bitter cocoa and something I can't identify. I want to say fishy/ oyster but that's most likely because I know it's an oyster stout.

Thin body with sharp carbonation. Long sharp nasty aftertaste. I know it's subjective, but nasty is about as accurate as I can describe.

As my first oyster stout, this proves that I can't unilaterally say that I like stouts. Apologies to anyone upset if I'm not rating "to style" but I just couldn't finish this. To me this was foul, weak, thin and devoid of merit.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Pop top was really cool. I had heard good things about this beer so I went after it. I am now glad I didn't work hard to get it.

Smell was fig and alcohol. It was string but decently nice. I was not turned off at all.
Look was black as oil but very little head. Not that impressive but it was fine.
Taste- nasty alcohol content mixed with bad vinegar. I almost spit the second drink.
Feel it was ok but not palatable.

Overall gross. I did not finish my fourth drink of a 12oz beer. Down the drain it went.

2.35/5  rDev -36%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: At first glance, you notice the abnormal cap. It has a pull tab, not like a can of soda, but like a can of sardines. I assume the irony is intentional. It's laughable at first, but in reality, it's ingenious if you're stuck without a bottle opener. It pours very dark brown, expectant of a stout. It has a very little amount of off-white head, not too remarkable.

S: Smells bitter and slightly nutty, a little moldy, and strong with cigarettes. I'm actually outside and there are eight people around me smoking incessantly so I'm having a little difficulty discerning all the aromatic qualities, but I was really hoping/expecting some sort of shellfish. It's not really there. I imagine the moldy, mildew trait is from the brewed oysters, but there's no way of telling definitively.

T/M: The flavor is surprisingly basic: some nuttiness, a little coffee, it's slightly bitter but relatively light. Overall, it's basic and disappointing.

Considering it's brewed with oysters, I was a little fearful but really anticipated some sort of shellfish quality. There's almost none of that here beyond an unwanted musky mildew aroma. I imagine Porterhouse was going for a certain texture here, or even trying to capitalize off of the novelty, but they really missed on all counts. For something so intriguing, it's pretty boring.

2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured up a dark red colour through which light passed easily when held up to a lamp. Head is about a single finger thick amd slightly off white. Decent head retention, but so far, this really doesn't look much like a stout. Smell is burnt coffee and perhaps a bit of rye bread deep down. Taste is watered down stout and a mouthful of sweaty nickles. Not sure what would account for the metallic taste in this style, but it's definitely there. It isn't over-powering or anything, it simply lightly follows the watered down stout flavour which is most prevalent.
Really not much going on here; rather shallow, I'd say. I had high hopes for this one, too. Shame. Oh well, still glad I could try it, even though this just isn't for me.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

A: Served on-tap at the Porterhouse pub in Dublin. The cream top complements the tan body, which is bled into by the black bubbles in a dazzling display mimicking that of Guinness. One finger, creamy head. Appealing.

Sm: Light scent of roasted barley, malt, and a bit of hops. Appealing but unpronounced.

T: Cream on the open - which is thin. Simple body with a note of roast and a note of hops. Not bold and not particularly good. I'm usually biased towards stouts, but this is bland.

Mf: Too smooth, but the dryness in the finish is nice.

Dr: Too bland and too expensive to consider again. This is the best of the porterhouse's self-brewed stouts, but that isn't saying much.

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Oiy stir stout? Arrives a midnight black color with a soft creamy head. Light brown hues around the edges and when held to the light. A nitro esk head with good retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is limited overall but some minor malt notes and more distinct yeast notes. The malt had some earthy chocolate notes. A bit of butyric was there with more of a dirty drains like aroma. Some off yeast notes don't help and enhance the off note. Some herbal and a light lactic, almost sour, in the finish.

The taste is similar. The malt is lighter versus the nose. Hints of generic malt and a earthy roast that isn't very distinct. Some mineral notes but a definite butyric note that was just off setting. Some minor salty and sour notes. There was a light soapy note as well. The yeast is lighter but some herbal hop notes in the finish.

The body was light. There was some slick notes that I associate with diacetyl but not really in the taste. The carbonation was light, which was nice for a nitro. Overall it's difficult trying to get past the butyric notes for this one, and this one is not really an Irish Stout (IMHO).

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%

This was a gift as a mixed six pack -yes i have great friends. I poured this into a pint glass to get started and was impressed by the nice head and dark coffee look.
Not much on the smell but had a bit of burnt toast smell. The head soon deflated but by the color I anticpated a hearty tasting beer.
Initial taste was enjoyable with a nutty flavor tbut soon disappeared like the head. Finish was thin. As the label said the added oyster is unidentifiable. Carbonation was good and quenched my thirst.
On the take-home scale, I would buy one if I was doing a stout tasting and had oysters, but probably not otherwise

2.55/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The pour is a very dark brown color with a decent sized tan head.

S: The nose is fairly roasty but not all that impressive. A bit of chlorine and salt, and perhaps a tad metallic.

T: More of the same in terms of the flavor. What flavors are there are watery and bland and not all that enjoyable. Slightly roasted, salty, and a bit of a mineral quality.

M: Fairly light in body with a a similarly light carbonation to it.

D: What is it with this brewery? I've had three beers from them, none of them resembling anything enjoyable. Oh well...

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

According to these folks, they are Ireland's Largest Irish Brewery...that bodes ill for their beers, but let's find out...Pours a deep, almost opaque mahogany. Lots of creamy, slightly tannish head that sticks like glue. Heavily punctuated with burned brown sugar notes in the nose - like you overcooked some syrup or something. Also some intersting, spicy notes...unusual and hard to place...Flavor is sharp and carries some mint and anise-like qualities right up front, very different. Highly roasted malt flavors in here, and a weird "tang" I can't quite place. They claim it's brewed with oysters, so maybe that's the reason for some of these characteristics. Finish is somewhat thin and carries a sharp bitterness. Overall, I'd have to say this is average at best, but it is unique and not as bad as I thought it would be. BEWARE the pull-top opener - it's a death trap!

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Appearance: Pours a humble-looking, black body with a foamy, sudsy head with a very, very light beige hue to it.

Smell: Not picking up any briny seaside notes, just fairly light notes of roasted malt, chocolate powder, and licorice. All light, mind you.

Taste: Faintly sweet very minimal chocolate character with a roasted grain flavor garnering a light flourish of acidic astringency. Hint of licorice. Modest bitterness. Powdery mineral taste like taking in a mouthful of chalk dust. Drying on the roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability: "Little oysters, little oysters?? But answer there came none." Lackluster flavor that leaves much to be desired with some nearing watery aspects to it make for a very hohum experience.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a nice black color. Fizzy dark tan head dissipates very fast.

Smell: Malty, yet somewhat odd, aroma, that's a bit smokey and a hint sweet.

Taste: Sweet, smoky, and somewhat spicy malt flavor with an odd, mild bitterness at the end. The bitterness becomes more intense over time - it is more of a smokey bitterness (than a hoppy one), but not even quite that.

Mouthfeel: Medium- to full-bodied and generally smooth, with minimal carbonation

Drinkability: Really not a fan of the flavor here: it is a little too odd, in a not-particularly-pleasant way.

I guess this has oysters added in the brewing process - I have no clue what, exactly, they contribute to the flavor (as I've never eaten oysters before), but I don't find it particularly pleasing, to be honest - it isn't bad, just dull and odd.

2.83/5  rDev -22.9%

Shared by a non-BA friend. This is my first oyster stout so it has me very interested. I think I'd very much like to grab a few others and really see what this style is about.

A- The pour looks very lackluster. Its as if theres no body to this "stout" at all. Its very clear and very red on the pour. It collects nearly black but bubbles are seen through the body. Not much head, no retention and no lacing.

S- Woah, this aroma is weird. Its not gross, but it should be. Its very briny with a strong seaweed smell. My friend had a good description when she said, "Its like you are walking along a muddy beach on a rainy day and you smell all the seaweed and fish and shellfish after high tide." The actual majority of the smell is beer-like though. There's some roast, some coffee and very little hops. Honestly, the aroma is like a very lackluster porter with some strange seaside things going on inside.

T- I think my last line for the smell speaks for the taste too. Like a mediocre porter with something strange in it. Again, its not gross, but it should be. Its salty, very briny, with some shellfishiness and lots of seaweed and kelp. Almost like bad sushi. A dry roastiness builds as you drink.

M- Quite dry with a low body and higher carbonation.

D- This was a pretty cool little beer. It wasnt the freshest but it held up fine. It has me interested in oyster stouts even more. I'd like to see how this stacks up against others.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours black with a thick and firm tan head; nice looking.

Nose is medium assertive candi sugar and black pepper with an undertone and "nose finish" of sweet black chocolate. A bit of a delicate nose but is actually very layered, complex and nice.

Mouthfeel is thin with light body and light carbonation.

Flavors are simple light roasted grain with a bit of bitter espresso in the finish. Flavors and finish are a bit weak and short. No oyster character is evident, although knowing that oysters were used one is prone to try to find them in the finish....it's a search.

Unique pull tab top is very cool.

Oyster Stout from The Porterhouse Brewing Company