Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Oyster Stout | The Porterhouse Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Oyster StoutOyster Stout

The Porterhouse Brewing Company
Ireland | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by Todd on 08-29-2002

Reviews: 221 | Ratings: 423

Oyster stout? Yes please! I LOVE oysters. Imagine the flavor of an oyster in your beer. Bring it on! However, it doesn't smell like oysters. As a matter of fact, it doesn't taste like oysters either. You would think, a beer with the name OYSTER stout that it would at least taste like oysters.

I did a little bit of preliminary research on the beer, and everyone said it's just as sweet as it is salty. I'll admit, it's sweet… but not too sweet. Where is the salt everyone talks about? I can sense a very tiny bit of bitterness toward the back of my palate, but that's it. This beer is just not what I had expected.

The beer is smooth, has a distinct stout flavor to it, but that's about it. I actually looked forward to drinking this beer all day only to be let down at my first sip. If you are looking for a beer that tastes like oysters, this isn't it.

1.68/5  rDev -54.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

330mL bottle from Hop City (Atlanta, GA). 4.29. No discernable bottling date. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours a deep golden hued dark brown with a frothy two and a half fingers beige head. A good bit of lace anywhere that the head settles.

Aroma is strange and almost off putting. Sweet and sour malty. Not quite like anything else I've tried.

Taste is just as odd as the nose. Salty cheap bitter cocoa and something I can't identify. I want to say fishy/ oyster but that's most likely because I know it's an oyster stout.

Thin body with sharp carbonation. Long sharp nasty aftertaste. I know it's subjective, but nasty is about as accurate as I can describe.

As my first oyster stout, this proves that I can't unilaterally say that I like stouts. Apologies to anyone upset if I'm not rating "to style" but I just couldn't finish this. To me this was foul, weak, thin and devoid of merit.

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: At first glance, you notice the abnormal cap. It has a pull tab, not like a can of soda, but like a can of sardines. I assume the irony is intentional. It's laughable at first, but in reality, it's ingenious if you're stuck without a bottle opener. It pours very dark brown, expectant of a stout. It has a very little amount of off-white head, not too remarkable.

S: Smells bitter and slightly nutty, a little moldy, and strong with cigarettes. I'm actually outside and there are eight people around me smoking incessantly so I'm having a little difficulty discerning all the aromatic qualities, but I was really hoping/expecting some sort of shellfish. It's not really there. I imagine the moldy, mildew trait is from the brewed oysters, but there's no way of telling definitively.

T/M: The flavor is surprisingly basic: some nuttiness, a little coffee, it's slightly bitter but relatively light. Overall, it's basic and disappointing.

Considering it's brewed with oysters, I was a little fearful but really anticipated some sort of shellfish quality. There's almost none of that here beyond an unwanted musky mildew aroma. I imagine Porterhouse was going for a certain texture here, or even trying to capitalize off of the novelty, but they really missed on all counts. For something so intriguing, it's pretty boring.

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured up a dark red colour through which light passed easily when held up to a lamp. Head is about a single finger thick amd slightly off white. Decent head retention, but so far, this really doesn't look much like a stout. Smell is burnt coffee and perhaps a bit of rye bread deep down. Taste is watered down stout and a mouthful of sweaty nickles. Not sure what would account for the metallic taste in this style, but it's definitely there. It isn't over-powering or anything, it simply lightly follows the watered down stout flavour which is most prevalent.
Really not much going on here; rather shallow, I'd say. I had high hopes for this one, too. Shame. Oh well, still glad I could try it, even though this just isn't for me.

2.47/5  rDev -32.9%

Pop top was really cool. I had heard good things about this beer so I went after it. I am now glad I didn't work hard to get it.

Smell was fig and alcohol. It was string but decently nice. I was not turned off at all.
Look was black as oil but very little head. Not that impressive but it was fine.
Taste- nasty alcohol content mixed with bad vinegar. I almost spit the second drink.
Feel it was ok but not palatable.

Overall gross. I did not finish my fourth drink of a 12oz beer. Down the drain it went.

2.47/5  rDev -32.9%

Oiy stir stout? Arrives a midnight black color with a soft creamy head. Light brown hues around the edges and when held to the light. A nitro esk head with good retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is limited overall but some minor malt notes and more distinct yeast notes. The malt had some earthy chocolate notes. A bit of butyric was there with more of a dirty drains like aroma. Some off yeast notes don't help and enhance the off note. Some herbal and a light lactic, almost sour, in the finish.

The taste is similar. The malt is lighter versus the nose. Hints of generic malt and a earthy roast that isn't very distinct. Some mineral notes but a definite butyric note that was just off setting. Some minor salty and sour notes. There was a light soapy note as well. The yeast is lighter but some herbal hop notes in the finish.

The body was light. There was some slick notes that I associate with diacetyl but not really in the taste. The carbonation was light, which was nice for a nitro. Overall it's difficult trying to get past the butyric notes for this one, and this one is not really an Irish Stout (IMHO).

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

A: Served on-tap at the Porterhouse pub in Dublin. The cream top complements the tan body, which is bled into by the black bubbles in a dazzling display mimicking that of Guinness. One finger, creamy head. Appealing.

Sm: Light scent of roasted barley, malt, and a bit of hops. Appealing but unpronounced.

T: Cream on the open - which is thin. Simple body with a note of roast and a note of hops. Not bold and not particularly good. I'm usually biased towards stouts, but this is bland.

Mf: Too smooth, but the dryness in the finish is nice.

Dr: Too bland and too expensive to consider again. This is the best of the porterhouse's self-brewed stouts, but that isn't saying much.

2.56/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The pour is a very dark brown color with a decent sized tan head.

S: The nose is fairly roasty but not all that impressive. A bit of chlorine and salt, and perhaps a tad metallic.

T: More of the same in terms of the flavor. What flavors are there are watery and bland and not all that enjoyable. Slightly roasted, salty, and a bit of a mineral quality.

M: Fairly light in body with a a similarly light carbonation to it.

D: What is it with this brewery? I've had three beers from them, none of them resembling anything enjoyable. Oh well...

2.57/5  rDev -30.2%

This was a gift as a mixed six pack -yes i have great friends. I poured this into a pint glass to get started and was impressed by the nice head and dark coffee look.
Not much on the smell but had a bit of burnt toast smell. The head soon deflated but by the color I anticpated a hearty tasting beer.
Initial taste was enjoyable with a nutty flavor tbut soon disappeared like the head. Finish was thin. As the label said the added oyster is unidentifiable. Carbonation was good and quenched my thirst.
On the take-home scale, I would buy one if I was doing a stout tasting and had oysters, but probably not otherwise

2.67/5  rDev -27.4%

According to these folks, they are Ireland's Largest Irish Brewery...that bodes ill for their beers, but let's find out...Pours a deep, almost opaque mahogany. Lots of creamy, slightly tannish head that sticks like glue. Heavily punctuated with burned brown sugar notes in the nose - like you overcooked some syrup or something. Also some intersting, spicy notes...unusual and hard to place...Flavor is sharp and carries some mint and anise-like qualities right up front, very different. Highly roasted malt flavors in here, and a weird "tang" I can't quite place. They claim it's brewed with oysters, so maybe that's the reason for some of these characteristics. Finish is somewhat thin and carries a sharp bitterness. Overall, I'd have to say this is average at best, but it is unique and not as bad as I thought it would be. BEWARE the pull-top opener - it's a death trap!

2.76/5  rDev -25%

Appearance: Pours a humble-looking, black body with a foamy, sudsy head with a very, very light beige hue to it.

Smell: Not picking up any briny seaside notes, just fairly light notes of roasted malt, chocolate powder, and licorice. All light, mind you.

Taste: Faintly sweet very minimal chocolate character with a roasted grain flavor garnering a light flourish of acidic astringency. Hint of licorice. Modest bitterness. Powdery mineral taste like taking in a mouthful of chalk dust. Drying on the roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium-light carbonation.

Drinkability: "Little oysters, little oysters?? But answer there came none." Lackluster flavor that leaves much to be desired with some nearing watery aspects to it make for a very hohum experience.

2.84/5  rDev -22.8%

Shared by a non-BA friend. This is my first oyster stout so it has me very interested. I think I'd very much like to grab a few others and really see what this style is about.

A- The pour looks very lackluster. Its as if theres no body to this "stout" at all. Its very clear and very red on the pour. It collects nearly black but bubbles are seen through the body. Not much head, no retention and no lacing.

S- Woah, this aroma is weird. Its not gross, but it should be. Its very briny with a strong seaweed smell. My friend had a good description when she said, "Its like you are walking along a muddy beach on a rainy day and you smell all the seaweed and fish and shellfish after high tide." The actual majority of the smell is beer-like though. There's some roast, some coffee and very little hops. Honestly, the aroma is like a very lackluster porter with some strange seaside things going on inside.

T- I think my last line for the smell speaks for the taste too. Like a mediocre porter with something strange in it. Again, its not gross, but it should be. Its salty, very briny, with some shellfishiness and lots of seaweed and kelp. Almost like bad sushi. A dry roastiness builds as you drink.

M- Quite dry with a low body and higher carbonation.

D- This was a pretty cool little beer. It wasnt the freshest but it held up fine. It has me interested in oyster stouts even more. I'd like to see how this stacks up against others.

2.85/5  rDev -22.6%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a nice black color. Fizzy dark tan head dissipates very fast.

Smell: Malty, yet somewhat odd, aroma, that's a bit smokey and a hint sweet.

Taste: Sweet, smoky, and somewhat spicy malt flavor with an odd, mild bitterness at the end. The bitterness becomes more intense over time - it is more of a smokey bitterness (than a hoppy one), but not even quite that.

Mouthfeel: Medium- to full-bodied and generally smooth, with minimal carbonation

Drinkability: Really not a fan of the flavor here: it is a little too odd, in a not-particularly-pleasant way.

I guess this has oysters added in the brewing process - I have no clue what, exactly, they contribute to the flavor (as I've never eaten oysters before), but I don't find it particularly pleasing, to be honest - it isn't bad, just dull and odd.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

pours dark ruby brown with a 1 finger light tan head that faded fast and left no lacing

smell is different - i get the roasted and chocolate malt but then there is something i cant describe - its almost mint?

taste - again what i could not name in the nose i get a lot of here - it reminds me of xmas maybe its allspice? - lots of roast on the end some chocolate - i have no idea what the oysters bring to the table

mouthfeel is light thin and a a tad fizzy

overall - this a total gimmick beer - i doubt they even brew it with oysters - i will never buy this again

2.92/5  rDev -20.7%

Curious pull-tab cap on bottle, it gives the curious sensation of launching a grenade in your kitchen.

Brown colored beer with a small off-white colored head. Very light for the style.

Smells dry and full of patent malt. There is a curious perfume smell here; best guess that is the oyster. Faint soapy scent.

Starts out dry and full of patent malt. Light and highly carbonated I can’t say I can taste the oyster. Just taste patent malt no sea or oyster.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall this was a hell of a disappointment! Paid $20 for a four pack but this beer isn't worth $4 for the four pack. Avoid this turkey!

2.92/5  rDev -20.7%

Dark dark beer with a beautiful, creamy, whipped cream, nitro head. I cant even call it lacing because there is no lace. Just a sheet of foam on the side of the glass. Aroma was killed by the nitro. I get a bit of mild roast, but the nitro is overwhelming. Same in the flavor. Unfortunately the only nitro beer I have been super impressed with is old raspy. This beer seems to be taken over by the character of the nitro instead of the character of the ber. Moutgfeel is the customary creamy nitro moutgfeel. For me, nitro is not for the beer. It is for the head. Nice.beer, but I would love to see what it is like without the nitro.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours black with a thick and firm tan head; nice looking.

Nose is medium assertive candi sugar and black pepper with an undertone and "nose finish" of sweet black chocolate. A bit of a delicate nose but is actually very layered, complex and nice.

Mouthfeel is thin with light body and light carbonation.

Flavors are simple light roasted grain with a bit of bitter espresso in the finish. Flavors and finish are a bit weak and short. No oyster character is evident, although knowing that oysters were used one is prone to try to find them in the finish....it's a search.

Unique pull tab top is very cool.

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a very dark brown, not the black I expect for this style, with a very tall, tan head that had great retention and moderate retention.

The aroma was very mellow and neutral. The roasted malt scents were there, but in a very subdued way. The flavor was more like that of a cross between a brown ale and a porter. I didn't get any oyster, or even sea oriented, flavors.

The body was far too thin for the style. Drinkability was OK, but with the benign flavors, why would you have multiples, if there were other options. This is a decent beer, worth a try if you see it.

2.96/5  rDev -19.6%

11.2 oz bottle. Pours dark brown with a medium creamy light tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is a bit subdued - sweet roasted chocolate malts.

The flavor is sweet chocolate malts, roast and maybe some salt with a dry, chalky, light bitter black patent malt finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, an OK stout - sweet and dry.

2.98/5  rDev -19%

A: A porter's depth. Translucent around the edges. Very little head even off the pour. No retention, and very light lacing.

S: Extremely light nose. Some coffee hints, and slight toasted malts.

T: A briny, salty, beginning. The oysters, although not discernible, add a very unique seafaring flavor, that quickly disperses leaving a coffee kick. There's also an underlying soapiness to this one.

M: Light for a stout. Slick. Also, there's much more carbonation here than the look would suggest. Odd.

O: Certainly different, and I commend them for it, but it's not something I'd pick up again. This one is a novelty for me.

I've been curious to try this beer for a while but I've always passed it up due to the oddity of an oyster/stout blend. Pours a thinner dark brown with some easy carbonation. I can't detect much oyster in the nose, but then again I don't really know what oysters smell like. Some roast malts & smokiness are predominant. Dry and true to style in taste & comes with an bit of odd funkiness thats hard to pin point.

Unfortunately nothing warrenting the price tag. But thanks to BeerFM Andy for satisfying the Dtrain's curiosity.

Appearance: Very dark brown (and translucent when held up to the light). Thin light brown head.

Aroma: Soy sauce and some malt.

Taste: Light and decently malty. Sort of milky and chalky. There's really not much flavor here so it would pair well with food (i.e. oysters). Dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Between light and medium bodied. Above average carbonation and average drinkability.

Final Thoughts: A little disappointed in how thin and watery this one was. There just wasn't much to taste. Although there is an interesting aftertaste that I can't define. Would I drink it again? Nah.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

11.2 oz bottle with a cool pull ring lid. I could not find a freshness date of any kind. Label was too modern and loud for my taste. After a vigorous poor into a Hennepin glass the bear foamed into a nice but too fluffy 2.5 finger head. The head held its ground well and yielded a nice lace, but was not the creamy dense head I expected. The scent was earthy without any sea, which I expected. Some overcooked coffee in the nose, and a hint of toffee, no chocolate that I really hoped for. The appearance was nice and dark, but not black and lacking that deep glow I love in a good stout. The taste was dominated by dark overcooked coffee, but in a nice, down home way. After it warmed a bit there was a slight sweetness like dried fruit, plumb and bitter grapes, again just a hint sweet. There was a bit of low tide in the background but not the sea flavor I was hoping for in my first taste of an oyster stout. The dram was a bit warming, with no noticeable alcohol, more like a warm loaf of pumpernickel bread. In all a decent stout, not much different than the masses out there, definitely more expensive than most. The best part was the cap, but that doesn't last long.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a rich cola brown with some mahogany highlights on the edges of the glass.
There is a minimal beige head that foams up and fades quickly to a sturdy edge layer and some wispy islands.
Aroma is dry roasted malt and has some hints of brown sugar. I do get something a little odd in the background, not quite oxidation, but something I cant quite account forwith any other descriptor.
First sip reveals an average body with very fine and tingly, almost prickly carbonation. The flavor is roasted malt and a bit of dry husk or nut shell note that is pretty dry by the finish. I dont get any hops here and overall the flavor is pretty mild. There is a slight lingering tangy brown sugar that seems to stick around a bit after each swallow.
Overall the beer is easy to drink, but I also find it difficult to remember. i bought it due to the cool pull tab bottle cap, but doubt that I would pick it up again as I found it slightly boring and underwhelming.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to my father-in-law for bringing this bottle over. Poured into a goblet.

The color is dark brown with a half-finger head that recedes quickly and leaves just a touch of lace around the glass and a bit of white film on top of the brew. The aroma is interesting. I smell something a bit different, though I couldn't say it is oysters. (It probably doesn't help that I've never had oysters.) Very mild chocolate and a hint of roast.

The flavor exhibits some lightly-bitter chocolate characteristics as well as a light earthy note. Some slight roast is there as well. Something a bit off that I cant quite name. The body is a bit light with carbonaion toward the lower end of the spectrum. Finish is quite dry. Drinks fairly well. Definitely interestidry

Oyster Stout from The Porterhouse Brewing Company