Oyster Stout - The Porterhouse Brewing Company

The Porterhouse Brewing Company visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-29-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oyster Stout Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

11.2 oz. A very dark brown pour, a good finger of off white head.

Roast malt and cocoa aroma. Maybe a tad metallic. Straight forward, nice.

Taste is a mild roast, light chocolate and cocoa. Quite dry and minerally. A real pleasant flavor profile for a mild stout. Finish with light cocoa and dark chocolate.

Lighter body, but fills the mouth nicely. Carbonation is just prickly enough to keep it lively and easy drinking. Not real filling, could put down a few of these. A nice example. (489 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a nice deep brown color with some decent initial head and a bit of nice lacing throughout. Nice scent, some nice deep dark malts (roasted grains); a nice clean stout scent. Good taste, a nice semi-roasty sweet maltiness with an interesting slight mineral taste from the oysters; nothing fantastic, but it is a solid stout. Goes down very smooth, and even with the slight oyster mineral taste, I could have several of these at a long sitting. (447 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and a slightly hazy consistency. There was a half inch of fairly long-lasting, creamy/foamy head. Good lacing.

S: An interesting aroma of roasted malt, some sweet element and a briny quality.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, the aforementioned briny quality (the oysters), and possibly licorice. A little watery, but an interesting flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: A very drinkable beer. (496 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +18.8%

The boss bought an 11.2oz bottle back from Alabama for me to dig. The smell alone I could inhale for a couple of hours...

A: Almost perfectly darkest dark. Held up to bright light, only did the top quarter-inch let in any transparency of any kind. Poured up thick with a, sadly, thinnish head of milk-white, tightly-packed tiny bubbles. Retention is nice, however, with the remnants of the head sticking around for about ten minutes after pour. Ultra-thin lacing down the sides of my pub glass well after sips.

S: Hoo boy! This is this ale's biggest selling point, I think... so far. An almost clove-y, weizenbier nose... how does that happen? Big expressive malts take care of that, I guess, but without the Bavarian yeast. The roasted grain notes are all there, too. What finishes this one is a frikkin dynamite briny note from the oysters. Considering the recent release of Harpoon's Island River Oyster with all those Danbury Bay oysters filtered over oyster shells... I never picked up on too much of a bivalve quality... only a slight touch of ocean salt and oyster flesh in the first belch. Not so here! Imagine someone soaked the local beach with 4 different roasted grains & then set all the briny depths' wigly little grey guys on fire for ten seconds. Stand upon the edge of the surf and take all that in... this beer is what that smells like and amplified by 100. Flinty, smokey, malt-sweet and candied. Like sea salt and choclatey smoke rolled into one with a briny hit of shellfish in the finish. By golly, this is the longest single-aspect to a review I've ever done! Quite possibly the best-smelling beer I've ever stuck under my proboscis.

T: Smooth smoke lifting off to iced tea, hibiscus flowers (?!), hints of lemon (am I still drinking an Irish Oyster Stout???!!!) and slightly-burnt biscuits. Did someone forget to tell me this is opposite day? Am I actually awake? Should'nt these types of flavors be resigned to a dunkel-weizen? What the hell is going on here? Why am I asking you?

M: Absolutely smooth with a hint of the bottle-conditioned carbonation hitting the sides of the tongue. Gives it a nice fizzy bite but only around the sensitive parts of the mouth. Lets you know it's there. Never heavy. Again... am I really drinking an Irish Oyster Stout???!!! This is like drinking Kostritzer in terms of mouthfeel. No syrupy richness... no roasted barley astringency... I feel like Luis Guzman in the movie "Waiting" when he discovers his two wanna-be gangsta busboys eating bell peppers and whipped cream in his walk-in cooler... (whispered) "What the fffuuuccc...???"

D: Hells yes. Totally drinkable. Imperitavely drinkable. You should be drinking this right now, fool! If I had two sixers of this smashing 5.2%abv stout I wouldn't be writing this right now... I'd be on my porch listening to Tom Waits' "Nighthawks at the Diner" live album, smoking a cigarette, getting wonderfully potzed to a wonderful beer to a wonderful album. God, someone bless America! And Ireland, while we're at it. After all, they made this damn delicious beverage. I was even ready to write this silly thing off after reading its labels. The word "Irish" appears, like, forty times on the front label alone... (okay... a little artistic license there). SOOO glad I looked past that one pretentious quality of the packaging. Do yourselves a favor... if you see this beer anywhere... BUY IT!!! Besides that, it's pretty good. (3,433 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours out a very dark brown with red highlights and a faint white head. Looks more like a doppelbock.

S: Shows some sweet/stale smelling roasted and caramel malts as well as a bit of minerally and "sweaty" scents. Also noticeable is a little of the mustiness often found in Irish Dry Stouts.

T: Flavor is primarily charred dark roasted malt with hints of black licorice. Malt becomes a little more coffee-like as it warms. Finish is long, roasted, slightly bitter and dry.

M: Somewhat thin body and carbonated on the high side; however on the plus, it is a fine carbonation.

Overall, a little thin (almost like a dark lager) but packing some serious flavor. Pretty sure I got the oyster in the smell, but couldn't nail it down in the flavor. Would compliment this as an easy drinking stout and one that I would buy again. (828 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz bottle with a grenade style opening pin purchased from Hop City in Atlanta.

A- Pours a thin, medium dark brown that appears ruby when held up to the light. Transluscent. Thick tan head upon pour dies down but leaves decent lacing. I was expecting it to be darker.
S- Faint roastyness to the nose. Almost a salty earth like quality in the background.
T- Not bad. Not bad at all. A bit watery, but the roast stands out. I really don't get oysters at all, which I think is a good thing.
M - Thin/medium body, smooth and creamy, surprisingly. I was expecting something more dry, but I enjoyed it.
D- Decent drinkability, but nothing really stands out about this beer. A smidge of a bitter bite in the finish. I didn't have issues finishing my glass, but there are better dry stouts out there.

Overall - I'll echo my previous statement of "not bad". I really can't detect any oyster, but otherwise remains an average dry stout. A bit thin and watery, needs a little more punch. I'm not sure if the "grenade" pull pin on the cap is gimmicky or not, but I kind of like it... (1,076 characters)

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a dark brown color with ruby highlights and two fingers of off-white foam. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of slightly roasted malts with a good amount of mineral aroma that I've learned to identify with oyster stouts. The "oyster" part of this beer isn't over the top and actually plays nicely with the mild roasted malt aromas.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Smooth yet muted roasted malt flavors kick things off with a hint of darker black malt underlying everything. Shortly thereafter solid amounts of mineral flavor enter into things along with very small amounts of unsweetened chocolate. All of these flavors carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I don't have a whole lot of experience in the style but this is one of the smoother ones I remember having. Worth a shot. (1,054 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured up a dark red colour through which light passed easily when held up to a lamp. Head is about a single finger thick amd slightly off white. Decent head retention, but so far, this really doesn't look much like a stout. Smell is burnt coffee and perhaps a bit of rye bread deep down. Taste is watered down stout and a mouthful of sweaty nickles. Not sure what would account for the metallic taste in this style, but it's definitely there. It isn't over-powering or anything, it simply lightly follows the watered down stout flavour which is most prevalent.
Really not much going on here; rather shallow, I'd say. I had high hopes for this one, too. Shame. Oh well, still glad I could try it, even though this just isn't for me. (732 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Aroma is rich and smoky with a firm undertone of molasses. It pours a dark, nearly opaque mahogany with a fairly thick, if not too persistent, beige head. Flavor is like roast coffee with a smidgen of barleywine and a touch of molasses. Texture is fizzy and lively and just a little on the thin side for a stout. (312 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a mahogany black with a loose tan head that fades fast. Nose is roasted grains, salty sea breeze, and burnt coffee. Tobacco and more coffee in the malts, a hint of plum, definitely something briny in the middle and slight woody hops. Sweet roasty hit to end and tight linger. Thin to medium, fizzy, round.

A bit too lively to be easy drinking as an Irish Dry should be. But nice take, and good to finally have in bottles. (429 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

Clear, dark brown color. 1 inch tan head from nitrogen tap.

Little aroma, indistinguishable at first, roasted malt came through as head thinned out a bit. Some head was persisted throughout and left decent lacing.

First taste is that of dark roasted malt with a sharp bite of seawater, then rounded out with a finish of hops and sea salt. Hops taste fresh and grassy. Minty?

Thick mouthfeel.

Very refreshing, and surprisingly easy to drink. (444 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -0.5%

Serving notes - served cold, imperial pint glass, nitro tap.
A - No bitterness, oysters are faintly in the aroma.
A - half-inch of persistent nitro head. Dark ruby red when held to light.
M - nitro carbonation very light, full mouthfeel with nice creaminess.
T - Chocolate smoothness in flavor with oysters more in the aftertaste. This is a good stout first with the oysters supporting and not dominating. If I was just handed this beer I would know there was something different but it might take me a second to come up with oysters (as I do not eat them very often).
D - Nice dry Irish stout. The subtly of the oysters adds a nice layer without making this just an oddity. (674 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -32.9%

Oiy stir stout? Arrives a midnight black color with a soft creamy head. Light brown hues around the edges and when held to the light. A nitro esk head with good retention and lacing through the tasting.

The nose is limited overall but some minor malt notes and more distinct yeast notes. The malt had some earthy chocolate notes. A bit of butyric was there with more of a dirty drains like aroma. Some off yeast notes don't help and enhance the off note. Some herbal and a light lactic, almost sour, in the finish.

The taste is similar. The malt is lighter versus the nose. Hints of generic malt and a earthy roast that isn't very distinct. Some mineral notes but a definite butyric note that was just off setting. Some minor salty and sour notes. There was a light soapy note as well. The yeast is lighter but some herbal hop notes in the finish.

The body was light. There was some slick notes that I associate with diacetyl but not really in the taste. The carbonation was light, which was nice for a nitro. Overall it's difficult trying to get past the butyric notes for this one, and this one is not really an Irish Stout (IMHO). (1,136 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Opaque black with a lasting tan head.

S- Pretty subtle malt aroma and a touch of ocean.

T- Sweet malty flavors upfront balanced nicely with a little bitterness towards the end. The ocean flavor isn't very big, but it's there and well balanced with the malts.

M- Creamy and smooth with light carbonation.

D- Really solid stout. I could definitely drink too many pints of this one.

Overall, this one is the sweetest of the three stouts the Porterhouse brews. It's easy to see why it's so popular though; a must-try. (521 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Porterhouse in Dublin

Pours black with thick, dense and creamy head that does not dissipate till the end of the glass, leaving dense lacing. Aroma is quite mild roasted grainy malt. Taste is very smooth roasted malts with nice touch of hop bitterness, dry finish and very long lasting bittery aftertaste.

This is my favorite Irish Stout. Amazingly well-made. I have to admit I could not drink too much of it, several glasses are fine, but sometimes it feels too intense/strong. (479 characters)

Served on tap at the Porterhouse in Temple Bar.

A: What you'd expect from a dry irish stout, nice and dark, with a bit of red shining through when held to the light. Had a couple fingers of very pale, very creamy head. A big part of this is the pour: if you've never had a properly poured stout before, you'll notice the difference.

S: A little hint of seaweed, not really smelling much oyster, but at least the ocean is there. Otherwise, kind of malty, not much on the hop front.

T: This is a pretty good tasting stout, a little bit of bitterness, some good malty flavor. The finish brings out the oyster a teeny bit, actually what I think is an appropriate amount. Much more oyster flavor might overpower the maltiness.

M: With a pretty light carbonation, this has a subtle feel to it, pretty creamy, what you'd expect from an irish stout

D: I can (and have) put down far too many of these in a single sitting. That being said, if you're a fan of dry stouts, you'll certainly enjoy this.

Overall: Solid competition for the bigger boys in the Irish market! (1,064 characters)

A_pours a ruby red hidden through a general blackness nice fluffy tan head and lace from the nitro

S_mild roastedness, faint floral hops

T_typical roasted malt components of a dry stout. Nice floralness from the hops. On the end there is a faint briny note. Almost like sea salt.

M_creamy rich and a bit velvety from the nitro/oysters or so I am told.

D_a unique stout. My first oyster stout. Well worth the try and a nice change of pace from the typical dry stouts. (470 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

This is a very unique brew. Had the displeasure of being stuck in Dublin for 3 nights and would have blown a lot of money each night at The Porterhouse had Ireland's archaic liquor laws not closed it on Good Friday.. yea I'm still pissed about that.

Anyways, the stout pours a dark semi-transparent black. I can vaguely see through when held up to the light. Similar cascading effect of Guinness after freshly poured. Light mocha coloured head, nice lacing throughout the session.

Roasted malts on the nose.

More roasted malts once this beer hits the palate. Some cream follows, then a nice hop bitterness emerges. If the malts are the yin, the hops are the yang. Very excellent beer. Hops linger and eventually they evolve into a subtle oyster flavor--more on that later.

Thick mouthfeel, what else would you expect from an Irish stout?

The reason for my bombshell 2.5 mouthfeel score is that 20 to 30 minutes after I had paid my tab and was walking around Dublin, I still had the oystery fishy taste in my mouth. It was not very pleasant. Had I cleansed my palate with an other beer before leaving perhaps this not would have happened, but it was definitely a downer. This is a good beer and worth trying, but the Plain Porter they brew is fantastic as well and I would take that over the Oyster any day. (1,311 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a very solid brew that I sampled at the Porterhouse, London. Its pour is pretty standard with a brown/white head. The smell isnt strong, but the fishy oyster presence is there. The taste is roasty, with a hint of oysters, and not a lot else worthe mentioning. Its like a good Guinness in the way it is smooth and easy drinking, but has a hint more flavour and a less bitter finish than the plain porter.

I enjoyed this and its my first choice when I visit the Porterhouse. Extra points for originality! (511 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Had this a couple times at the porterhouse, one of my favourite places when I'm in Dublin.

At first it comes across as any of the bar's other fine porters; great roasted malt, coffee and a mouth coating burnt bitterness. An epiphany if you've been drinking Guinness in the Temple all day.
Drink it a little more carefully and you get a pleasant fishiness. I know that sounds horrible, but others have said sea-salt and I think it goes a tad farther than that. Don't let it scare you off, it's a real tasty drink and one of the more original ones I've ever had.

I find it's best to try this with a pint of plain, alternating at least a couple sips, allowing you to clearly taste the taste of Dublin bay. (707 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a fairly standard, well-crafted, medium-bodied stout that has a slight sea-water taste to it. I could not for the life of me identify a particularly oyster-ish taste, though they do note on the beer list that this is "not suitable for vegetarians.". It is certainly a fine brew and if it were not for their other two dark brews, the Wrassler stout and plain porter, I would have been most happy with a session drinking this brew. (437 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +12%

On tap at the Porthouse Dublin

Pours with a dark brown body approaching black, thick tight nitro head with good retention

Smell, an initial aroma of the sea, subtle fresh seaside air. Thick roasted malt on the nose

Taste, seaweed, thick bittering roasted malt, well balanced

A tasty stout, very interesting (318 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

My favorite stout at Porterhouse in Dublin. Black in color with a slight hint of red shining through. Nice creamy heads maintains itself atop the liquid. Aroma is great. I think I really do smell fresh sea oysters! This is a very aromatic drink, esp once it warms and opens up. Sweet butter english tofee. Smoky Irish peat. Dry roasted African coffee. I really liked the aromas. Taste was also good but not quite as amazing. Tons of roasty flavors with a definite salty, oyster edge to it. I had a few pints of this one and enjoyed them quite nicely. (550 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +0.8%

Tasted this beer by half-pint recently at the Covent Garden branch of Porterhouse pub.
A: the appearance is just like their XXXX Stout, almost black though slightly lighter in the silhouette when seen against light. The creamy and frothy head leaves very very fine sheets of brownish lace around the side of the glass. Flawless--for a nitro-tap poured beer.
S: lightly herbal flavour of hops and roasted dark malts on the nose with lots of similar elements of XXXX Stout, but it smells much lighter.
T&M: a hint of sea-water kind of slightly salty flavour comes through with a creamy texture of roasted malts--slightly smoked but also refreshing along with "floating" hoppy presence on the palate. Lightly savoury-sweet finish on top of residual, low-level bitterness of dark malts. Overall it's medium-bodied and medium-flavoured, while its creamy smooth texture is not compromised by oysters but apparently thinner than XXXX Stout. It could be more dark malty and roasted bitter to be really flavoursome, but I can imagine that it pairs well with fresh oysters all the same! (1,081 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Had this at the Porterhouse in London.

Poured a black body with a decent white nitro type head.

A nice rich black slightly burnt coffee or chocolate malt flavor. A slight touch of saltiness actually. A firm even bitterness from start to finish. Just a classic Guinness style stout with a bit more flavor than the Irish benchmark.

Not quite as rich or malty as the 4X stout by the porterhouse. Still a very nice beer that I wouldn’t hesitate having again. (464 characters)

Oyster Stout from The Porterhouse Brewing Company