Gallows Point Dead Man's Porter - Skull Coast Brewing Company

Skull Coast Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Fall & Winter Seasonal, Gallows Point, is an Imperial Porter made with real Chocolate & Macadamia Nuts. There is nothing on the market like it, and it was recently named one of the Top 20 American Porters in the United States by BeerAdvocate.

(Beer added by: atsprings on 11-02-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by silver0rlead:
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a very dark brown with a thin tan head that leaves decent lacing. The aroma has a ton of chocolate notes, some lactose, candied almonds,a bit of coffee, dark fruits and some alcohol. The flavor also is bursting with gourmet chocolate notes upfront, macademia nuts, dark fruits, espresso and a hint of alcohol. The mouthfeel is moderate and drinkability is pretty good. Really tasty effort from Skull Coast, sweet but not cloying this is a great desert beer.

silver0rlead, Nov 15, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into an over chilled pint glass last night at Sticks and Stones here in Greensboro,deep dark chocolate brown with a creamy-like toasted almond colored head atop.A great mix of vanilla,milk chocolate,lightly roasted macadamia nuts,and coffee roast in the nose,as it warmed it really became quite appetizing.Really smooth and almost "airy" in the mouth,could imagine this on cask.Vanilla flavors hit at the onset along with real nutty flavor and sweetish chocolate,the best thing in my mind about the beer is there is a firm drying roasty finish to keep the sweetness just enough at bay.A great flavored porter,my first try of this brewery and I was totally impressed.

oberon, Feb 17, 2011

TimoP, Nov 25, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

This is the real deal right here. I had it at Duckworth's when Jason and Todd were there. The great thing was the brewer was there from Skull Coast describing it. So, here goes: According to the brewer this is a Imperial Porter made with real chocolate and macadamia nuts. He said that it comes with three different kinds of chocolate: dark chocolate malt, light chocolate malt and actual chocolate added at the end of the boil. The macadamia nuts he said were roasted and then added at a couple of different points during the brewing process. The brothers really enjoyed it and so did I! I ended up having a couple. Very drinkable and really enjoyable.

PatLarsen, May 13, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Had this today with friends down in Fort Mill at McHales. They told me that even though I'm not a big dark beer fan, I would love this one. I think the thing that struck me most about it was its drinkability. It's not a heavy dark beer. I had four while watching football games. The other thing that struck me was the macadamia nut. When they first told me it had macadamia nuts in it, I was skeptical. But, you really taste them with the chocolate. Great beer! So happy I was talked into this rather than my usual beers on a winter day. This will be my new go-to beer.

CushyGig, Dec 26, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Served from tap into a sampler tumbler. Poured a deep dark brown with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, chocolate, and big butterscotch. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, coffee, cream, and slight butterscotch. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. However, the flavors seemed just a little watered down to me. The aroma on the otherhand was very strong on butterscotch, almost overwhelmingly so... This is worth trying at least once, but that is about it for me.

thagr81us, Jan 17, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

had this at beertopia.
A: looked the part. dark brown porter color.
S: the girl (who was smoking hot by the way) at the booth said it was a chocolate and macadamia nut porter. you could smell it.
T: it was both malty and hoppy at the same time. you got the macadamia nut on the front but it finished with the chocolate. it was like drinking dessert. would go great with cheesecake.
M: good carbonation and really good mouthfeel.
O: i really liked it. now, i must admit i think my review may have been a bit swayed by the girl behind the booth, but if anything she made me remember this beer several days after the event.

GSmithBeer, Mar 28, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Shaker pint, Wineshop at Rivergate. Murky dark brown pour, thin layer of frothy off white head. Does stick to the glass well.

Malty aroma, slightly sweet. Caramel, toffee, some chocolates.

Taste is also very malty, large amount of chocolate and some cocoa. Toffee also, definetely on the sweeter side, lactose sugar? Finishes with some cocoa and the faintest roast.

Thinner bodied and just a bit much carbonation, but it drinks very easily. Would have guessed this was a 5% porter. A little sweet, but pretty good.

Bung, Feb 25, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

on tap at the mellow mushroom in spartanburg while i was waiting for pizza

Nice and very dark pour here with a rich dark brown color that no light could penetrate. This was a monster looking porter I have to say with a menacing two inches of foam on the top of it that cascaded down the sides. The aroma was of light vanilla, lots of oak and woody notes, and hints of molasses and caramel. As it warmed some nice roasted notes start coming off of it. The flavor was as rich as the aroma with lots of sweet malts, hints of roasted notes and a nice bit of caramel and molasses. Light vanilla, not as much as I would have hoped for peaking through. A nice full bodied porter, nothing here was really overwhelming. This was about as solid as a big porter you are going to come across. I would have no issue with trying this one again any day.

mikesgroove, Mar 05, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

a: shaker pint serving, the beer is a deep opaque chocolate brown in color with a topping of light-mocha colored carbonation, well retained, leaving some lace behind

s: milk chocolate roast, buttery toasted macadamia nut, toffee, brown sugar, earthy hops, nicely aromatic and unique

m: carbonation just under moderate in level, body medium-full

t: pretty unique flavor set for a porter - milk chocolate, toasted macadamia nut, toffee malt, vanilla, sugars balanced with an earthy hop flavor and mild bitterness, mild hops, very tasty but maybe a little too reliant on the chocolate component for flavor - could be a little more rounded

d: no problems here, an interesting set of flavors, and drinks well for such a bold set

draft at Tap City, Raleigh

blackie, Jan 11, 2011

Growler from Greenville Beer Exchange

A: Pours a deep mahagony color with a creamy fluffy huge mocha cap. Retention is excellent

S: Big vanilla, big nuttiness, cocoa, and cream frm the lactose. Chocolate as well (white chocolate?). Overall seemingly sweet

T: Huge vanilla/cream/nuttiness, chocolate, and cocoa. A touch of grassy hops. Sweet. Too much vanilla?

Mf: Thick, smooth, low carbonation. Medium to light body...a tad light

Overall: sweet, tons of vanilla and nuts. Not really balanced, but very enjoyable

scottyshades, Apr 09, 2011

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte, served in a pint glass

Pours a dark brown, nearly black. No light is getting through this one. Very nice, substantial tan head, that leaves a respectable amount of lacing. Nearly stout-like in its appearance

Smooth sweet chocolate, vanilla, caramel, and a lightly roasted macadamia nut aromas fill the air. A very slight roasted malt aroma as it starts to warm. Virtually no hop aroma to speak of. When first served this has a sweet almost chocolate milk like aroma, as it warms the roasty aromas seem to peak and highlight the dark chocolate, roasted malts and slight coffee notes.

The taste is very similar to the aroma. Lots of sweet chocolate, vanilla, and macadamia nut flavors. Very little in the way of roastiness at first; there is some there, but not much. As the beer warms all of the roasty and dark chocolate flavors start to surface. Medium/light bodied and very smooth & silky, the carbonation is spot on. Extremely easy to drink.

It is a little "thin" for a porter for my taste, not enough so that it takes away from the overall eperience, but I prefer a slightly heavier mouthfeel in a porter.

Very nice, overall I am very impressed. I would recommend letting this beer warm a little before you drink it, as it is a totally different beer as it warms; much more complex and flavorful

CBlack85, May 10, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Growler is from the Piney Grove Green's.

A - A chocolaty brown body with a nice sized tan head resting on top.

S - Really picking up a lot of macadamia nut mixed with a sweet milk chocolate aroma. Smells fantastic, I don't think it could get much better.

T - The chocolate notes are the highlight. The macadamia nut lends a nice smooth nutty aroma. Some light roasted notes are present as well. Certainly pretty sweet but not cloyingly so.

M - smooth. medium to heavy bodied. A pretty standard amount of carbonation

D - Pretty high drinkability. I love beers that give me a nice chocolate flavor and this one certainly delivers. The macadamia nut character adds an extra little something. This is a really good beer. I wish it was bottled so I could send it out to all my regular trading partners. I'll pick this up again the next time I see it.

jpmclaug, Dec 07, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this at Foster's Pub in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Skull Coast had a tap takeover and this is the last beer in the lineup. Forgetaboutit! This is the King of Skull Coast beers. I had thought... a few minutes ago that Maelstrom was their best beer, but I was wrong. Gallows takes the prize! It pours a dark chocolate brown with a tall tan head. The smell is as described on the sales sheet available at the bar: chocolate and macadamia. The taste is so unexpected that it makes you go: oooh! It's so layered. It starts off following the smell slightly... it bit of dark chocolate and roasted malt. Then it layers itself into this wonderful macadamia finish. How do they do that? As it gets warmer there is even more complexity. The mouthfeel is light and easy. The best part however is that it can be an year-round beer. It's 90 degrees out and I can drink several of these. It should be a year-round beer! It's light and I don't know why they don't make this all year long. Thank you Craig for holding this beer for this tap takeover. It was awesome! Fosters and Skull Coast rock!

EJ6759, Jul 02, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +11.2%

I came across this beer at the Flying saucer in Raleigh, NC about a year ago. I wasn't really a big fan of porters, but once I tasted this beer I was hooked. It has fantastic flavor and leaves a great after taste. The beer is really hard to find, but once you find it, you'll go back just for this beer.

FotosbyAndy, Mar 04, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -29.4%

On tap in a shaker pint. Great looking beer with an impressively thick head full of dimples and divots. Several thick rings of lacing are left at the top of the glass.

Sweet chocolate and vanilla dominate the nose. Tastes just as sweet as it smells, although some roast thankfully emerges. Combined with the vanilla and chocolate, the effect is almost like a coffee liqueur. Comes very close to tipping the scales toward overwhelmingly sweet, but it somewhat dries out for a vanilla latte finish. Probably not something I'll revisit, but it's worth a try (especially for those fans of sweeter porters).

PDXHops, Jul 08, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Robyn, Mar 15, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

I have had this on several different occasions in the last few months, only from Nick's Tavern & Deli in Clemson, SC. It is excellent - one of my favorite beers, perhaps my favorite porter. The bar usually only gets one or two kegs and it is gone within a day or two - even on weekdays. If you find this on tap, don't pass it up.

Appearance: black with a foamy tan head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

Smell: this beer does not have a particularly strong nose which I feel is appropriate for a porter, but there is of mild to medium malty smell, and maybe just a hint of hops.

Taste: lots of rich malty flavors without being too sweet, including a hint of coffee along with a subdued hoppiness. Leaves a nutty aftertaste without too much lingering bitterness (but just a little). Just a twang of alcohol taste can be perceived but doesn't overpower any other tastes at all.

Mouthfeel: not too thick but definitely not watery.

Drinkability: this is a beer to be savored, usually one of my "first beers", which I like to take my time with. Given ample supply, it could easily be a session beer because it is just so damn delicious. I wonder when they'll start bottling it...

thelusiv, Feb 25, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Got a growler from a trade with McNuts, many thanks!!!

This is my first review on here so take that into consideration when reading.

Pours deep brown to black and not opaque at all in my glass. Little head (growler is 5 days old? but unopened) but there is a little tan top layer skimming the surface. The noise is all chocolate covered macadamia nut. This beer smells like all things Hawaiian to me. Taste is big on the sweet maltiness at first but very well balanced with a great mouthfeel. Coats your whole mouth with flavor and finishes with a great bittersweet aftertaste. Perfect beer after dinner in my opinion. Very well balanced and not a novelty chocolate beer in my opinion. Would drink this all the time if they ever decided to bottle it.

mizzouguy, May 14, 2011

spycow, Jan 13, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Arrives with a fudge brown color and a couple of inches of foam; very nice pattern of lacing as the liquid declines

Smell: Milk chocolate, macadamia nuts and vanilla

Taste: Milk chocolate, up front, with the macadamia nut flavors making a strong appearance after the swallow; there is some vanilla on the finish and a nice layer of bitter balance from the hops throughout

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and somewhat creamy; moderate carbonation

Drinkability: My first beer from this brewery and it is an impressive one; not just another porter, this beer has a distinctive flavor profile

brentk56, Mar 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A very dark walnut colored body with a large tan head. Dark cocoa colored at first of head bubbles but seems to settle down and get lighter in color as time goes on. Tons of lacing. She looks good.

Great nutty smell, roast, maybe a little coffee, and some sweet malt. This smells just great a mish mash of many things which all get a turn. I can't get over the macadamia nut smell. Who would have thought of putting that in a porter? Pretty sweet!

Taste is a great macadamia but at first, with good malt chew. Aftertaste has some hop finish. Then, almost as if it was layered there is a chocolate highlight. Lots of flavors that come out throughout the tasting. The chocolate and macadamia on finish is surprising where did that come from. Not too heavy either. No noticeable alcohol even though it's listed as 7%.

This is a great porter. What can I say? I really liked it a lot.

MayLattimore, Feb 02, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a nice deep brown. Looks like a porter with a very nice head that laced all the way down.

The aroma lovely. It has a great chocolate and macadamia nut flavor. My friend also smelled vanilla. But, maybe that was just him. It had an excellent nose! Wonderfully distinct.

The taste pops! It's not just a great porter, but the addition of the chocolate and macadamia nut flavor was on point. I would have never thought of macadamia for a porter, but I loved it. My friend also felt that there was some coffee in there. But, that was probably a roasted malt. Very complex and delicious.

The mouthfeel is really nice. It was nicely carbonated.

The drinkability is excellent. I tilted more than one. Delicious each time.

ChristianBlack, Jan 26, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

Growler also from a trade with Mcnuts

A-deep brown in color, not black like most porters i have enjoyed, very small head due to the growler but still nice enough in my book.

S-I for sure get the chocolate and coffee and vanilla, and macadamia nut, the flavors really come out when left sitting for awhile, very roast like

T- very drinkable, it a real light porter, but yet very flavorful. pretty sweet, which i very much enjoy. chocolate and vanilla really tackle the taste buds, you can very well have a few of these in the evening, or like me for breakfast.

TIMMYJ21, May 27, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -27.8%

On tap at Big Daddy's Burger Bar in Ballantyne poured into a Skull Coast pint glass.

A: Hazy dark brown color, with very little off white head.

S: Chocolate and not much else. Maybe slight nuttiness and coffee in the background.

T: Overwhelming chocolate with slight coffee and some nuttiness in the finish. Seems like most of this beer's flavor comes from hazelnut extract and cocoa nibs. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really my style. This is a very sweet beer in my opinion.

M: Medium to heavy body. Carbonation seems just about perfect for the style.

D: I had 2 and that was plenty for me.

As a funny addendum to this review, I noticed shortly after I posted it that I was removed from Skull Coast's facebook page. Not saying there is a connection, but it's a mighty strange coincidence. I attempted to add them again and was denied. I attempted to contact them to see why I was being blacklisted and got no response. It's kind of sad because I liked their other beers and love to support local breweries, but will probably steer clear of them from now on since they don't seem to like constructive criticism.

samtallica, Dec 18, 2010