Sea Witch Watermelon Wheat - Skull Coast Brewing Company

Skull Coast Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Summer Seasonal uses real watermelons along with our crisp, clean wheat ale recipe to create the perfect brew for a hot Summer’s day. If you are looking to escape the heat, Sea Witch will lure you in and refresh you. But, be careful... Ye be warned!

(Beer added by: SFrankBrew on 06-10-2011)
Reviews by LordFoul:
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

LordFoul, Feb 25, 2013
4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at the Mellow in Greensboro.Poured into a standard pint glass a lightly hazed light golden with a thinner wispy white head atop.Big juicy watermelon in the nose,it just really jumps out at ya almost like a watermelon jolly rancher.Watermelon is a little more subdued on the palate and leaves nice subtle flavors up against toasted cereal grain.Normally I would not order a beer like this,not a fan of watermelon,and most beers of this type are to sweet and artificial,this is very good and I could drink a mini ball of this on a hot day.

oberon, Sep 27, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Projects a radiant golden color with a hazy wheat clarity. Smells distinctively of watermelon. Based on the aroma I’d expected a super sweet taste... and that's where I was wrong. The flavor wasn't like a crazy sweet fruit beer. On the contrary, the taste is like a crisp wheat beer with only a dash of watermelon. Crisp and refreshing, with a dry finish and a watermelon tease. Light body, good carbonation and feel. Wasn't what I expected in a good way. I was all prepared to ask what Skull Coast was thinking making this, but now I know why. It's summer and this is a great summer beer.

PatLarsen, Jul 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Had this on-draft at Flying Saucer Charlotte. It was recommended by one of the Goddesses. (They really are Goddesses by the way!) She told me if I was a fan of Skull Coast, I couldn't pass this one up. Thank Goddesses that I followed her advice. Wonderful aroma! It's fantastic! The taste is light and airy. I felt like I could have been in one of those yellowfuzzybeer commercials where a cool wind blew over me. Overall, I'm a sucker for anything Skull Coast and this is my new favorite summer beer.

CushyGig, Sep 14, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

How sad am I? I drove down to Fort Mill to get this beer because it hasn't made it's way to Charlotte yet. It was a very light color. Good head and lacing. The smell is what draws you in. Watermelon all the way. But, here's what I found that it's not too sweet. Thank God! Mouthfeel is what you would expect from a wheat beer. Overall, I really like it. I wasn't upset with myself for driving 25 miles to taste a beer. Again, I think I have a problem... I love good beer. This one fits the bill.

GSmithBeer, Jun 16, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

on tap at wild aces last week, enjoyed this while i ate dinner with the family.

light golden colorwith a big fizzy white head on top.small hop notes that wrapped around a light watermelon flavor, more pronounced then some others i have had for sure though, hints of light candy, like a jolly rancher almost with a light touch of grain. Clean, crisp and very refreshing it was an easy session beer for me.Not much aftertaste and to be honest it went down like water for me.

perfect for a hot day

mikesgroove, Jul 31, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

CBlack85, Jan 08, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this on tap at Fosters Pub in Charleston. Skull Coast had a tap takeover and I got to taste them all. I took the first in the line from the sales sheet I saw. The watermelon wheat poured a slightly cloudy golden color. The smell was all watermelon, all day. It was 95 degrees in Charleston today, so this was the perfect beer to drink after sweating it out all day. The taste was heaven. Refreshing. Crisp. Very drinkable. The mouthfeel is what you would expect from a wheat. Overall, I slammed this thing in about 30 seconds. If you are looking to cool down on a sweaty armpit Charleston day, this is the first beer you order. Worked for me!

EJ6759, Jul 02, 2011

rjknyy, Nov 16, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love this brewery! I am always trying to track down their beers. Duckworth's just had Sea Witch on, and they are serving it with a watermelon wedge. Brilliant!

Okay, to the particulars. Besides being another completely original brew from Skull Coast, this one really is delightful. The appearance earns extra points for the Watermelon garnish. The smell is watermelon.

But, here is where Skull Coast breaks the typical fruit beer mold: The taste is still a wheat beer. It just has a slight hint of watermelon. The mouthfeel is good with good carbonation. Overall, there is a reason this is Charlotte's best kept secret. They know what they are doing! They make great beer!! I have to meet these guys soon. Wink, wink. Hint, hint!

MayLattimore, Jul 08, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Another win from Skull Coast Ales. Serving on tap from my kegerator. This is my 4th Skull Coast Beer on tap and I have enjoyed them all.

Appearance: Cloudy golden color with fluffy white head. Minimal lacing which has been my experience with most fruit beers.

Smell: Absolutely wonderful watermelon aroma. Wow it smells great.

Taste: Absolutely refreshing on a hot summer day. Taste is of pale wheat with a hint of watermelon with a slight sweetness that is not overpowering at all.

Feel: Medium-bodied summer beer. Fairly light body.

Overall: What an excellent summer beer. What can I say? I bought a keg of it after my first taste. That should tell you all that you need to know.

McNuts, Jun 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

Traveled to get this, become a bit of a fan of this brewery. On tap into a pint glass. Pours a golden wheat with a thin wheat head. The aroma is a serious watermelon smell - can’t miss that. Gotta give em kudos for pulling that one off. The taste is a watermelon wheat, no doubt about that one. The palate is striking in that it has a surprisingly good mouthfeel. It’s been screaming close to 100 degrees in NC. This was the ticket while I write and update some of my beer reviews.

ChristianBlack, Jul 24, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

From my weekend notes: Not a fruit beer person, per se. But, the watermelon intrigued me. Luckily, I got this beer the same day it was tapped, because it was kicked about an hour after I got my pint. It was a nice golden color with a thin white head. Probably my only real concern. The smell was of watermelon. The taste was of white wheat, but it had a slight graininess that I appreciated. It did have a very slight watermelon kicker. Overall, I would probably give this a 4.25, but there isn't a rating of that. The people at the bar obviously liked it too, because it blew the same night it was tapped.

DWilliams76, Jun 20, 2011

EasyReader, Nov 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours attractive hazy, light golden color, with quickly dissipating white foam. Some light, spotty lacing. Nice crisp, fresh, watermelon aroma. Flavor is slight fruitiness, clean, and refreshing for a wheat beer. Well carbonated with good mouthfeel. Not personally that much familiarity with watermelon flavor in beers, although it seems appealing enough for a summer beer. Overall, I thought this was a pretty well executed effort.

BeerBeatnik, Jul 19, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

On-tap at The Lodge in Hilton Head, SC.

Sea Witch pours with a bright blonde, brassy body that sports a bit of haze and a healthy, brimming cap of bone-white foam that leaves decent lacing on the pint glass. The aroma is so spot-on for the style that it makes me wonder how Skull Coast did it...how do you get that much non-artificial-smelling Watermelon aroma into a beer? Just exceptional, with juicy, fruity 'melon notes backed by a hint of wheat and hops.

The flavor dials in the watermelon nicely, again, but pulls the fruitiness back a bit to let the other attributes of the beer shine through. A slight hint of berry and melon rind tartness sneaks in with each sip, perhaps a byproduct of the wheat. Crisp, tasty wheat grains and a spritzy carbonation level make for an inviting mouthfeel that goes down far too easily. If this were available to me locally in Texas, it would be hard not to order this as the opening round every time during the summer heat.

Take note, 21st Amendment: THIS is how you put watermelon flavor into a wheat beer.

wagenvolks, Aug 07, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

I've been hearing a lot about this beer on Facebook and Twitter, so I had to seek it out today. I work in construction and it was hot today. This beer is Summer brew for a hot summer's day. The color is a light straw color. Almost looks like a Wit. The smell is of fresh watermelon. The taste comes across as a crisp, clean wheat with a hint of watermelon. The thing I like is that the smell follows the taste, but it's not too sweet. It's still a wheat beer, and not a watermelon beer. That's what I like the most. Most fruit beers go overboard. The mouthfeel is good. Overall, I have already drained the first one while writing this review. It's incredibly drinkable!

SFrankBrew, Jun 10, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured on tap into a pint glass.
A: Pours a light orange color, with a small white head.
S: Strong notes of what seem to be natural watermelon to the nose, with perhaps the slightest note of wheat in the background.
T: Unabashedly fruity throughout, again showing pleasing notes of watermelon along with a light wheat.
M: Carbonation is accurate and malt presence, while quite muted, adds enough backbone to allow the beer to retain some "beer" characteristics. The finish is clean.
Overall, a supremely enjoyable example of the style.

MightyCasey, Jul 23, 2011